Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,760 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions (772 Views)

You Rigged 2023 Election, Not Tinubu – Asari Dokubo Knocks Peter Obi / Analysing Peter Obi’s Plans To Remove Import Restrictions – Reno Omokri / 2023: Peter Obi Stands No Chance And He Knows It - Deji Adeyanju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by officialsaw01(m): 10:57am On Oct 07, 2022
In one of his many criticisms of Mr Peter Obi's candidacy, former SA to former President Goodluck Jonathan, Mr Reno Omokri has lambasted Mr Obi's decision to remove import restrictions when he gets elected as president.
He said: "Peter Obi, who is the single largest individual importer in Nigeria, wants to remove “import restrictions.” Yet, this is the same man that wants to “move Nigeria from consumption to production”? Removing import restriction favours traders, like Obi, but destroys local manufacturing!

Take Dangote Tomato Paste factory in Kano. If you remove import restrictions, as Obi proposes, his company, Next Cash and Carry, will be able to import cheaper tomato paste from Italy, which will force Dangote Tomato out of business and make thousands of Nigerians he employs unemployed.

No developed nation grew to the point where they are by removing import restrictions, as Peter Obi proposes. Such policies only favour traders, like Obi, who only import and sell. A nation can’t grow like that. We must restrict imports so local manufacturers can grow!

Obi’s plan to remove import restrictions will only favour traders, like him. But it will completely destroy the textile industry in Kaduna and Kano, and the manufacturing sector in Ikeja, Lagos, and Agbara, Ogun State. Nigeria must produce and not import what we can produce!

If you remove import restrictions, people, like Peter Obi, whose only motives are quick money, will import champagne from France, whiskey from Scotland, and caviar from Russia. We will end up dissipating our foreign exchange on things Nigeria does not need, because traders want to make profit.

Notice how I have analysed Peter Obi’s policy of removing import restrictions, so traders can import willy nilly and sell to Nigerians. Notice how I gave examples. Observe that my points are factual. Now, read the comments and see how Obidients fail to rebut my facts, but instead insult me. Then make up your mind."

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by onez: 11:05am On Oct 07, 2022
House husband analysis. Someone who doesn't know what business is. Dose this sit-at-home husband know that our manufacturing industry is in comatose because it's hard to import critical raw materials. Has he even wondered why prices of goods produced in Nigeria are increasing?. The raw materials can't be imported easily. He is abroad and doesn't know what ordinary people are feeling as long as Atiku is sending him leftover fund from open bribery at PDP presidential primaries. Shame to people like Reno.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 07, 2022
Reno is an enemy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by KingKO22: 11:10am On Oct 07, 2022
Pandora Bitter Obituary is a confusionist

What do yu expect of a 3rd class slowpoke

grin. He wants to help his IPOB pigs in their quest to conquer the world as the most drug peddling tribe in the world

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by tonysunkan: 11:10am On Oct 07, 2022
It will be an ERROR for Obi to do what he said he would do.

2 Likes

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by Wisetrue99: 11:13am On Oct 07, 2022
officialsaw01:

Removing import restriction favours traders, like Obi, but destroys local manufacturing!

Take Dangote Tomato Paste factory in Kano. If you remove import restrictions, as Obi proposes, his company, Next Cash and Carry, will be able to import cheaper tomato paste from Italy, which will force Dangote Tomato out of business and make thousands of Nigerians he employs unemployed.
First and foremost, who local production help

Nigerian manufacturers source everything locally yet their production is on the high side undecided

Since the inception of Buhari, I have not eaten local rice so who local production help

You spoke about employment, give us a statistic of those employed undecided from ALL the local manufacturers! undecided

What is it that we produce locally that is readily available to the masses at an affordable price

Reno Omokri, there is a word called "competition! Everyone should have a right to choose what to buy and where to buy from! If the local production is okay and affordable why will I buy the imported one

Let's face it! This policy didn't work for us in Nigeria!

We are talking about over 200M people you are talking about Dangote, na dangote dey bankroll you

Can ONLY Dangote cater for every Nigerian

Why are you people so backward
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by Macphenson: 11:16am On Oct 07, 2022
Reno is a bittered soul
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by mrvitalis(m): 11:18am On Oct 07, 2022
Mr. Peter Obi released a brilliant seven points agenda which was brilliant and inline with latest economic developmental principles ...lots of
Reno mad APC/PDP
quack economics who know absolutely nothing about developmental economics picked on the part where obi said he would "remove import and Forex restrictions " ... saying it would kill the economy

I laugh because that's a primitive way of thinking , and I'm not surprised that's APC way of thinking and have guided there policies since 2015 reason the economy has failed woefully ... protective economy policy never works for anyone let alone a country like ours that cant man our borders effectively

Let me use rice ( a product we all can relate to ) as an example , the APC government banned rice importation into Nigeria hoping with would help local rice farming grow but it's been 7 years and you can go to your local market it's Obvious local rice is less than 10% of rice in the market , so even with the ban foreign rice still enter our market ...we have lost all the revenue that we would have gotten if we allowed importation ...

The solution and what Peter Obi proposing is simple ...since the rice price has stabilized by the market forces at around 35k to 40k for foreign rice which means land cost ( the cost of getting the rice and smuggling it into Nigeria ) is around 30k to 35k ...price of rice internationally is around 450 dollars that's around 16k per bag say 18k plus shipping ... which means we can tax rice importers 15,000 per bag of imported rice ...with Nigeria rice importation said to be 40 million bags per year ..that would give us ...that would give us 600 billion in revenue ...yes APC government has been losing 600 billion yearly

Now with 600 billion war chest you can then begin to tackle the fundamental reasons why Nigerian rice can't compete with imported rice even tho we have cheaper labour and cheaper land ...which is mostly availability of quality seeds for planting , availability of farming and harvesting equipments , access to land for new intending farmers ... processing facilities and most importantly development of rice field clusters

With 100 billion yearly invested in 4 years we can have improved seeds available to every farmer that would guarantee minimum of 6 tons and land uses twice to three times yearly ...up from 1.5 tons once yearly we do now ...the rice farmer can harvest 10 times more from the same land area ...with would significantly reduce his unit cost giving him room to compete ...the idea is to make it possible for local farmers to sale local rice at 15k a bag and still make loads of profit ....

if the quality of the local rice is the same or at least 90% as good as the imported rice and the rice is half of the imported rice believe me rice importation would die a natural death

This is my take and I hope it helps you understand that removing trade restrictions and proper use of the revenue generated would help develop the economy and strengthen local industries

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by bender79: 11:19am On Oct 07, 2022
Reno has been a dark soul no wonder his head and goat beards fit more for a shoe brush.
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by Okoroawusa: 11:21am On Oct 07, 2022
That one concern Reno but all I know is that I will be the last Igbo man that Peter Obi can deceive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by Vl3ly: 11:23am On Oct 07, 2022
To say the fact this guy is true
That means he will kill our production

2 Likes

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by Wisetrue99: 11:27am On Oct 07, 2022
We have been patronizing "local production" since 2015 yet Nigerian didn't get better, it is still broke!!!

You guys are not practical, at all!
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by Wisetrue99: 11:31am On Oct 07, 2022
Vl3ly:
To say the fact this guy is true
That means he will kill our production
Give us statistics, who has your production help

People can barely afford 3 square meal anymore

Even Don Jazzy and co we dey give cash regularly don stop!

Proof Reno right by giving us statistics!

No just argue, give us the number of the million of masses elevated through your local production!
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by gonkin(m): 12:23pm On Oct 07, 2022
Local production made it worse. Before importation was banned commodities were cheap.

1 Like

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by BATified2023: 12:30pm On Oct 07, 2022
onez:
House husband analysis. Someone who doesn't know what business is. Dose this sit-at-home husband know that our manufacturing industry is in comatose because it's hard to import critical raw materials. Has he even wondered why prices of goods produced in Nigeria are increasing?. The raw materials can't be imported easily. He is abroad and doesn't know what ordinary people are feeling as long as Atiku is sending him leftover fund from open bribery at PDP presidential primaries. Shame to people like Reno.
keep quiet

U don’t even know d meaning of d evil u are supporting,so if we start importing everything what happens to the local manufacturing companies?

The same thing he did in anambra is what he wants to repeat at d national level,anambra is one of d most industrialized states but this Peter obi couldn’t tap into the potential of his people but he was busy importing

Many of your family will go out of jobs n everything will crumble cos nobody will patronize anybody again since u can import easily so per adventure one day the country u are importing from have issues like the Russia Ukraine war n u are already 100% dependent on them n local market is dead

What will happen?
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by Godoverevery: 12:41pm On Oct 07, 2022
It so funny how anyone will support obi statements on removing import restrictions.

Well I understand him perfectly......most igbos hate buhari for putting import restriction on some goods
They can't import sub standard and expired product into the country anymore.

Obi is just wasting is time........biafra is the only option for any Igbo man to be president.

He can't rule a country him and is tribe hate.

2 Likes

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by BATified2023: 12:44pm On Oct 07, 2022
Wisetrue99:

Give us statistics, who has your production help

People can barely afford 3 square meal anymore

Even Don Jazzy and co we dey give cash regularly don stop!

Proof Reno right by giving us statistics!

No just argue, give us the number of the million of masses elevated through your local production!
let me analyze it for u

Imagine if u have a factory where u sell your goods for 1000 n u employed like 10 people working for u n each have a dependent of 2 people meaning naturally u have employed 30 people

Peter obi is saying just 1 business will start importing everything u are selling n he will b selling it for 500 naira,meaning he’s selling less n employing less staff probably one nwa boy

With time u will start having loses n u won’t b able to pay your workers again n with that u sack 10 people which means 30 people will go hungry whereas the importer is living large with only his nwa boy

Meaning with time every one will shift to importation n we will b 100% dependent
The implication

30 hungry people are outside n an hungry man is an angry man

Will they not take to crime?

If this sacking of people in different local companies happens in virtually all sectors meaning many will b sacked n many companies will shut down leaving us a 100% dependency on importation

With 100% reliance on importation the local industry is dead already,so what if anything happens to d country u are importing from?

What will b your fate?

What happens to d economy?

What happens to d naira?

What Peter obi said is pure container economics n if he dare try it I am sure even he himself will regret it cos the white will colonize us again n exploit us d way they want cos the higher d demand d higher d price
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by N3TRAL: 12:48pm On Oct 07, 2022
Godoverevery:
It so funny how anyone will support obi statements on removing import restrictions

I swear to God.

Damn. They're are saying it's the best policy grin
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by SaiOba: 12:54pm On Oct 07, 2022
Reno can knock Peter Obi as much as he likes.. our own Peter Obi ain't got time to play with kids seeking political relevance. Peter Obi got more important stuff seeking his attention.

We Move.
Vote Wisely..
Vote Peter Obi 2023.
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by N3TRAL: 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2022
gonkin:
Local production made it worse. Before importation was banned commodities were cheap.

See Obidense grin
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by BlazinGlory40: 1:03pm On Oct 07, 2022
Okoroawusa:
That one concern Reno but all I know is that I will be the last Igbo man that Peter Obi can deceive

But you hopelessly fell to the deceit of buhari. So who’s fooling who?

1 Like

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by XerXers: 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2022
Why can't some people embrace competition? Why always looking for protectionist policies before they can thrive?

1 Like

Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by BlazinGlory40: 1:04pm On Oct 07, 2022
N3TRAL:

See Obidense grin

Do you even understand the subject? See a daft calling someone else a daft
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by N3TRAL: 1:07pm On Oct 07, 2022
BlazinGlory40:

Do you even understand the subject? See a daft calling someone else a daft

Yes, more than you and Pandora Obeer grin
Re: Import: Reno Knocks Peter Obi's Stands On Removing Import Restrictions by heniford2: 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2022
onez:
me surprise ur educating him on this wow!

(1) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu Is Anti Christian, Prevent Christian From Going To Church Today / Adebanjo, Fasoranti Part Ways Over Tinubu's Presidential Ambition / Imota Rice Mill Project May Crash Rice Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.