Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,245 members, 7,822,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! (4688 Views)

Military To Lai Mohammed: We’re Not Fighting Boko Haram With Substandard Weapons / Buhari's Interview With Al Jazeera (Video) / Sanusi Links Boko Haram To "oil Derivation". (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by okadaman2: 11:51pm On Aug 17, 2011
AP Interview: US general sees Nigeria terror link
By JON GAMBRELL, Associated Press – 7 hours ago 

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — A radical Muslim sect responsible for assassinations and bombings across northern Nigeria may be trying to link with two al-Qaida-linked groups in other African countries to mount joint attacks in this oil-rich nation, the commander for U.S. military operations in Africa said Wednesday.

Gen. Carter Ham told The Associated Press that "multiple sources" indicate the Nigerian sect known as Boko Haram made contacts with al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, which operates in northwest Africa, and with al-Shabab in Somalia.

"I think it would be the most dangerous thing to happen not only to the Africans, but to us as well," Carter said.

Ham said there is no specific intelligence suggesting the groups plan attacks against U.S. or Western interests in Nigeria, but the nation is a major supplier of crude oil to the U.S. and is an economic hub drawing foreigners from across the world.

Ham's comments were the strongest official remarks on fears privately held by Western and Nigerian officials. However, it remains unclear what formal links, if any, exist between Boko Haram, al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb and al-Shabab.

The three organizations have different ethnic roots and their objectives are not the same, but they are all Islamist militant groups.

Boko Haram, whose name means "Western education is sacrilege" in the local Hausa language, came to prominence in 2009 when sect members attacked local police stations and government buildings throughout northeast Nigeria. The riots and ensuing security crackdown left 700 people dead.

Last year, the group began assassinating clerics and police officers. It also has engineered spectacular attacks, including the June bombing of Nigeria's federal police headquarters, the assassination of a prominent politician and a prison break that freed more than 700 inmates.

Boko Haram seeks the implementation of strict Shariah Islamic law in the country. Nigeria, a nation of 150 million people, is largely split between a Christian south and Muslim north, where 12 states have a version of Shariah in place.
Ham said it appears Boko Haram may be splitting with one section focused on domestic issues and another on violent international extremism.

"What is most worrying at present is, at least in my view, a clearly stated intent by Boko Haram and by al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb to coordinate and synchronize their efforts," the general said. "I'm not so sure they're able to do that just yet, but it's clear to me they have the desire and intent to do that."

Ham said that a "loose" partnership also would include al-Shabab. A suspected al-Shabab bombmaker now facing terrorism charges in New York was at one point detained by secret police in Nigeria. Al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb, also known as AQIM, has issued statements in support of Boko Haram, and both use similar logos in communiques.

A recent video indicates that two men, a Briton and an Italian who were kidnapped in northwestern Nigeria, are being held by AQIM.
Ham met this week with Nigerian military and security officials during his first visit to the country as the head of the U.S. Africa Command, known as Africom and which is headquartered in Stuttgart, Germany. Ham said the U.S. would be willing to share intelligence and offer training to Nigerian security forces.

"We have a lot of folks who are pretty good about taking multiple pieces of apparently disparate information and putting that in a way that can be useful to operational commanders in a very short period of time," the general said.
That assistance also could be used in Nigeria's south, if the country requests it, Ham said. There, criminal and militant gangs kidnap oil workers and middle-class Nigerians, while pirates attack vessels off the coast.

Africa Command: http://www.africom.mil/

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g-3NYTAKQT_6llFQK45M0E13rF8Q?docId=20a49eb4f1754ffb92c78cd6b317bedb
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by okadaman2: 11:52pm On Aug 17, 2011
Hmm shiiit is about to hit the fan!
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Beaf: 11:58pm On Aug 17, 2011
It was only a matter of time for boko haram to gain international attention. It is only a matter of time before US drones start bombing and shooting the fools. It happened and is still happening in Pakistan.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by okadaman2: 12:06am On Aug 18, 2011
^

I agree Boko Haram must be stopped. But I'm not happy it will benefit Jonathan. I hope this is not an oil for security assistance deal. I don't want GEJ selling us short for US assistance.

We have too Many secret US special forces in the Niger Delta already. I hope they are not going to further blackmail us with this terror assistance, playing one side against the other as usual undecided

When are we getting this PIB bill again ?
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by T8ksy(m): 12:36am On Aug 18, 2011
This is as good as anytime to split up this moda.phocking contraption, ojare.

Let those who have made links with al-qaida face the US drones, alone.

we have nothing in common with these religious fanatics.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by naijaking1: 1:26am On Aug 18, 2011
T8ksy:

I like it already grin
I can see a drone flying from the Atlantic ocean, passing Bauchi, Kano and hitting targets accurately inside Maiduguri.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Nobody: 3:02am On Aug 18, 2011
Just wait until they name Nigeria a Terrorist state! hahahahaha, i am just waiting!
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by shotster50(m): 3:51am On Aug 18, 2011
Typical Yanks, spreaading fear and far fetched conspiracy theories everywhere. It doesnt take two brain cells to work out that Boko Haram is being sponsored by disgruntled politicians.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by dapachez: 5:28am On Aug 18, 2011
I knew it would come to this,america with their conspiracy theories.Next it will be that they have videos and pictures of BH members having meetings with Al-Qeeda terrorist in dubai,pakistan and afghanistan,followed by satellite photos of bunkers in nothern states for production of weapons of mass destruction.The perfect excuse to come after our oil. Jonathan should CRUSH this BH once and for all and save us from these yanks that is if he has the balls
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by unphilaz(m): 7:05am On Aug 18, 2011
is that all? ;-!
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by henry101(m): 7:32am On Aug 18, 2011
T8ksy:

Shut your dirty mouth up.
Let me see any group that tries to break from our Great Nigeria, Na bomb and missile I go take finish that group. Thunder fire your foolish empty head. Ewure.
Na big mouth u just get. Real eddiiioootttt.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by texazzpete(m): 7:40am On Aug 18, 2011
dapachez:

I knew it would come to this,america with their conspiracy theories.Next it will be that they have videos and pictures of BH members having meetings with Al-Qeeda terrorist in dubai,pakistan and afghanistan,followed by satellite photos of bunkers in nothern states for production of weapons of mass destruction.The perfect excuse to come after our oil. Jonathan should CRUSH this BH once and for all and save us from these yanks that is if he has the balls
shotster50:

Typical Yanks, spreaading fear and far fetched conspiracy theories everywhere. It doesnt take two brain cells to work out that Boko Haram is being sponsored by disgruntled politicians.

Keep burying your heads in the sand you dolts! When the shite hits the fan, you people will be the first to start whimpering.

FACT: Al Shabaab is linked to Al-Qaeda
FACT: AL Shabaab bombmaker (currently on trial in the US) was once arrested in Northern Nigeria by the SSS. I'm sure you clowns think he was there to learn how to make Kilishi
FACT: Two westerners kidnapped in Nigeria turned up in a video where they confirmed that their kidnappers were from Al Qaeda in Maghreb
FACT: Al Qaeda elements in morocco have written an open letter in the past promising support for 'Jihad'

If you people like, keep seeing conspiracies everywhere. Does anyone (who has half a brain) think that Al Qaeda would ignore the most populous black nation with tens of millions of poorly educated, easily influenced Muslims? Especially when that country has a huge amount of natural resources like we do?

I promise you, the next 10 years will prove to be very interesting for Nigerians grin
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 18, 2011
I wish they start drone campaign in North. I mean far north were innocent lives has been murdered 4 islam
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by talktrue1(m): 8:18am On Aug 18, 2011
Very soon, crazy-dent Jonathan will grant them amnesty and they will be sent to Pakistan to learn trade (killing) just like the Militants
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by nagoma(m): 8:37am On Aug 18, 2011
We have a lot of folks who are pretty good about taking multiple pieces of apparently disparate information and putting that in a way that can be useful to operational commanders in a very short period of time," the general said.
That assistance also could be used in Nigeria's south, if the country requests it, Ham said. There, criminal and militant gangs kidnap oil workers and middle-class Nigerians, while pirates attack vessels off the coast.

Multiple pieces of apparently disparate information to (for example) conclude the presence of weapons of mass destruction in IRAQ and invade kill , toture, and maim hundreds of thousands for a decade and with no end in site !!
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by auwal87(m): 8:54am On Aug 18, 2011
I am advising Shettima to resign immediately
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Nobody: 9:15am On Aug 18, 2011
I hope this so called ''intelligence'' on boko haram is not an excuse to establish Africom in Nigeria ?
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Thatdave(m): 9:18am On Aug 18, 2011
maiduguri has a future - iraq.

*in the future*

UN envoy to bornu was bombed in a village near the city

bokoharam insurgents have vowed to keep fighting for islam till the 'last drop of there blood'

a US drone has killed a major nigerian politician in kastina suspected to be funding the bokoharam.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Nobody: 9:27am On Aug 18, 2011
~Bluetooth:

I hope this so called ''intelligence'' on boko haram is not an excuse to establish Africom in Nigeria ?
@ bluefool guess what. africom has come to stay. most of the commados there r igbos/ ebboes employed in 2009. only igbo speakers were recruited n r been trained since then for drones in northern nigeria and other african countries when africom will operate fully.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by yusuf2(m): 9:33am On Aug 18, 2011
kcswat:

@ bluefool guess what. africom has come to stay. most of the commados there r igbos/ ebboes employed in 2009. only igbo speakers were recruited n r been trained since then for drones in northern nigeria and other african countries when africom will operate fully.
So i guess we shld watch out for the "revenge of the civil war". undecided
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 18, 2011
kcswat:

@ bluefool guess what. africom has come to stay. most of the commados there r igbos/ ebboes employed in 2009. only igbo speakers were recruited n r been trained since then for drones in northern nigeria and other  african countries when africom will  operate fully.

So ibos are being used to kill hausas abi ? Boko haram must must hear this and start their reprisal attack asap.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 18, 2011
~Bluetooth:

So ibos are being used to kill hausas abi ? Boko haram must must hear this and start their reprisal attack asap.
useless n cowardious Yorubas. chameleons
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by EgbonOlu: 9:48am On Aug 18, 2011
It's a pity that some Nigerians are happy, clamouring for U.S intervention in another man's terrain ( Nigeria ). When has the U.S ever invited foreign forces in helping tackel its inner problems or is the U.S problem-free ? Let's ask ourselves these few logical questions, What has the U.S achieved in Afganistan, Pakistan and Iraq ? Nothing, but contributing to these poor nations ruins, We can manage our problems ourselves. All we need is to wake up from our sleep, put in place a reliable security system and make things happen the way it should. This message is not for Nigeria and Nigerians alone, it's for the whole of Africans and African states[b], "Let us stop being inferior, the Westerners never wished us well. We will tranform our [/b] continent ourselves, " The U.S and its allies knows that once we unite, they are finished. And they want to ever remain in control of the black gold ( The crude oil ), Let Jonathan relay our message to the U.S and it's allies to go to hell, we can make it happen ourselves !
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Nobody: 9:52am On Aug 18, 2011
kcswat:

useless n cowardious Yorubas. chameleons

If ibos and hausas are killing themselves,what has it got to do with the yorubas ?
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by benom(m): 10:09am On Aug 18, 2011
Egbon Olu:

It's a pity that some Nigerians are happy, clamouring for U.S intervention in another man's terrain ( Nigeria ). When has the U.S ever invited foreign forces in helping tackel its inner problems or is the U.S problem-free ? Let's ask ourselves these few logical questions, What has the U.S achieved in Afganistan, Pakistan and Iraq ? Nothing, but contributing to these poor nations ruins, We can manage our problems ourselves. All we need is to wake up from our sleep, put in place a reliable security system and make things happen the way it should. This message is not for Nigeria and Nigerians alone, it's for the whole of Africans and African states[b], "Let us stop being inferior, the Westerners never wished us well. We will tranform our [/b] continent ourselves, " The U.S and its allies knows that once we unite, they are finished. And they want to ever remain in control of the black gold ( The crude oil ), Let Jonathan relay our message to the U.S and it's allies to go to hell, we can make it happen ourselves !
It is very clear from your statement that you have never tasted the true meaning of a civilized and free society. If you know what is obtainable elsewhere, you will understand what that report means for us.
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by javalove(m): 10:25am On Aug 18, 2011
I KNEW I KNEW I KNEW!!!!!

I f8687king KNEW IT WOULD GET TO THIS!!!!!!

I DONT BELIEVE THOSE BASTARDZ CALLED AMERICANS!!!!

FOR ALL I CARE, THEY COULD BE BEHIND EVERYTHING!!!!

AFTER ALL, THE PREDICTED WE WILL SPLIT IN 2015. . .

AND I SEE ALL THEIR BLOOD DRIPPING HANDS ARE ON DECK TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!

ONLY US CAN REDEEM OURSELVES. ONLY GOD CAN SAVE NIGERIA!!!!

JUST IMAGINE THEM FIRING DRONES IN THE NORTH, .THEY WILL KILL MORE INNOCENT SOULS IN 3 MONTHS THAN BOKO HARAM IN 5 YEARS!!!!!!

THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS WHAT TO DO. . .BUT THE DRUNKEN FISHERMAN IMPERSONATING HIMSELF AS OUR PRESIDENT WILL NOT DO JACK!!!!

DAMN. . .I WISH BUHARI WON!!!

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by amrygirl(f): 10:27am On Aug 18, 2011
It's a pity that some Nigerians are happy, clamouring for U.S intervention in another man's terrain ( Nigeria ). When has the U.S ever invited foreign forces in helping tackel its inner problems or is the U.S problem-free ? Let's ask ourselves these few logical questions,  What has the U.S achieved in Afganistan, Pakistan and Iraq ? Nothing, but contributing to these poor nations ruins,  We can manage our problems ourselves. All we need is to wake up from our sleep, put in place a reliable security system and make things happen the way it should. This message is not for Nigeria and Nigerians alone, it's for the whole of Africans and African states, "Let us stop being inferior, the Westerners never wished us well. We will tranform our continent ourselves, " The U.S and its allies knows that once we unite, they are finished. And they want to ever remain in control of the black gold ( The crude oil ),  Let Jonathan relay our message to the U.S and it's allies to go to hell, we can make it happen ourselves !
Seconded
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Biscute(f): 10:48am On Aug 18, 2011
[b]This is not true at all, fake and UN reliable information, if Book Ha ram dares Niger Delta HM that will be the end of the world, Guam,, there will be enough boom ,, boom, gum and KP KP,KO Kim KO Kim, just keep watching but God please save Nigeria our be love country[/b]
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by texazzpete(m): 1:21pm On Aug 18, 2011
Egbon Olu:

This message is not for Nigeria and Nigerians alone, it's for the whole of Africans and African states[b], "Let us stop being inferior, the Westerners never wished us well. We will tranform our [/b] continent ourselves, " The U.S and its allies knows that once we unite, they are finished. And they want to ever remain in control of the black gold ( The crude oil ), Let Jonathan relay our message to the U.S and it's allies to go to hell, we can make it happen ourselves !

Transform? Yeah right.
As we speak, the US is responsible for at least 47% of the total food aid delivered to Somalia to save the famine victims. I doubt African countries combined deliver up to 5% of the total amount.

Didn't you see how the AU failed to do anything sensible during the Ivory Coast crisis?
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by nagoma(m): 1:22pm On Aug 18, 2011
[[b]quote]"First, the leaked cables reveal -- or rather, confirm -- that American "intelligence" on the activities of foreign nations is based almost totally on hearsay, rumor, gossip and fantasies brewed from a deadly mix of arrogance and ignorance."[quote][/quote][/b]CHRIS FLOYD (Dec. 2010)
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Amhatu(m): 1:27pm On Aug 18, 2011
This article should provide a Example of a Terrorist :

2010/11/04

Two men, Navy SEAL arrested for firearms trafficking

Three men, including an active duty U.S. Navy SEAL, have been arrested for allegedly selling machine guns and other firearms to an undercover law enforcement officer in Nevada and Colorado, the U.S. Attorney General's Office in Nevada told CNN.

The weapons part of the alleged firearms trafficking were machineguns smuggled into the United States by special forces military personnel returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

Nicholas Bickle, 33, of San Diego, Richard Paul, 34, of Durango, Colorado, and Andrew Kaufman, 36, of Las Vegas, were arrested Wednesday.

Court documents identify Bickle as a U.S. Navy SEAL assigned to a unit in the San Diego area. The machineguns were found to have a mark used by the Iraqi military to signify ownership, the the U.S. Attorney General's Office said.

If convicted, the defendants face up to five years in prison on the conspiracy charge and a $250,000 fine.

-----------------------------------------------------
Search for the links and verify for yourself
Re: US Intelligence Sources Links Boko Haram With Al-Qaeda. Terror! by Amhatu(m): 1:34pm On Aug 18, 2011
These American Military Criminals have problems in their on Country .

You would be a fool to believe USA can deliver REAL FOOD to Somalia when poverty is all over America.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Justice Salami Sues Jonathan / Jonathan Plans Sovereign National Conference, Sends letter to NASS- Daily Trust / Breaking! President Buhari Arrives Nigeria - Sahara Reporters (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.