Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,825 members, 7,844,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? (17583 Views)

Poll: Female circumcision: where do you stand?

Female circumcision is bad.: 85% (90 votes)
Female circumcision is good.: 14% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

See The Consequences Of Female self-service / Female Circumcision Is Dangerous To Women's Health; It Should Be Scrapped. / Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by FufuKing1(m): 8:57pm On Aug 27, 2007
champredd:

Research have shown that circumcision can reduce HIV prevalence among males. undecided

I also posted a study that showed a lower incidence of HIV in circumcised females.

Should we advocate that ladies go under the knife for this so-called benefit? If the answer is no, then it's not a valid reason for cutting boys.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by FufuKing1(m): 8:59pm On Aug 27, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

still talking about males in a thread about femle circumcision.

If you boys have/had a problem with yours, why don't you start a crusade or help line like the others?

Are you unfamiliar with comparison as a technique of argument and persuasion?

Because that is why male circumcision is being brought up.

We are saying if it is okay to cut males, why is it not okay to cut females? That is a valid technique of making an argument.

Are you unfamiliar with comparision?
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:04pm On Aug 27, 2007
No, Im not.

teach me sah.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by FufuKing1(m): 9:06pm On Aug 27, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

No, I'm not.

teach me sah.

Well, you're acting as if you don't know.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Octupus(f): 11:15pm On Aug 27, 2007
Fufu King,
I think you may wish to continue this discussion on this thread.As for me I am outa here!! When I introduced this thread,I was honestly expecting to get some intelligent argument against female circumcision,but I am afraid I have been disappointed.Until I see somebody contribute something really logical and intelligent against female circumcision I am not likely to join in again.

As for Seun.In insulting me he has shown how pathetic he is.His emotional outburst(same also as Thiefofhearts)has shown his level of immaturity.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Octupus(f): 11:24pm On Aug 27, 2007
Fufu King,
Please b4 I sign out,could u teach me step by step,how to cut portions of other people's contribution and paste them in a boxed form in your own discussion.Like u did for ThiefOf Hearts.

I will surely appreciate this favour.

Many thanks
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by FufuKing1(m): 11:31pm On Aug 27, 2007
Octupus:

Fufu King,
Please before I sign out,could u teach me step by step,how to cut portions of other people's contribution and paste them in a boxed form in your own discussion.Like u did for ThiefOf Hearts.

I will surely appreciate this favour.

Many thanks

No problem.

When you hit reply, scroll down and look at the topic summary. Look at the message you want to quote, and then look to the right and click on the "Insert Quote" link.

Then it will insert the quote for you.

Or, if you want to do it manually, just use the code [QU*OTE] [/QU*OTE] (Without the asteriks)

You put the original posters message in between the two codes like this

[QU*OTE] Your mother sells coconuts on the street [/QU*OTE]
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:16am On Aug 28, 2007
No one cares, Octopus, many other people who have replied to your posts. Forgive me for having a problem with you asking a poster to post each picture and "explain what is wrong with it". You;re a sick person.

anyway ciao!  cheesy

and please don't have any daughters. Thanks.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by drchic(f): 7:32am On Aug 29, 2007
Octupus:

Fufu King,
I think you may wish to continue this discussion on this thread.As for me I am outa here!! When I introduced this thread,I was honestly expecting to get some intelligent argument against female circumcision,but I am afraid I have been disappointed.Until I see somebody contribute something really logical and intelligent against female circumcision I am not likely to join in again.

As for Seun.In insulting me he has shown how pathetic he is.His emotional outburst(same also as Thiefofhearts)has shown his level of immaturity.

Dear Octopus,
Kindly forgive us for being so emotional,illogical and unintelligent in our argument.
You see, for some of us yours truly in particular, it is difficult to separate these issues. If
we cannot be as objective as you are because for we had a very close friend and roommate who cried daily because it was impossible for her to find sexual fulfillment with her husband to be and she worried about what the relationship would be like someday. TOO personal for you? Ok, what about as a young medical student, seeing her first circumcised perineum and wondering,what is wrong with this woman?

Is it not enough of an argument when it is said that there are NO advantages to FGM, meanwhile there even MIGHT be some advantage to male? Any argument contrary to yours is viewed as double standard or emotional or illogical even unintelligent.

Abeg eh, forgive us. You started this thread so please feel free to end it. We are sorry for our stupidity.

Goodbye and stay happy and logical.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:19pm On Aug 29, 2007
Lmao cool
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by FufuKing1(m): 3:32pm On Aug 29, 2007
But dr chic, did you not see the study I posted that said that circumcised women are less likely than uncircumcised women to get HIV? Isn't that a "benefit"?

Also, to be fair, female circumcision has not been investigated and studied all that much to determine any advantages. And we also need to remember there are several different types of female circumcision. I don't think anyone can argue that infibulation has any advantages, but removal of the female prepuce and labia could.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Octupus(f): 10:07pm On Aug 29, 2007
Fufu King,
Thanks for teaching me how to cut and paste other people's contributions,although I am yet to get it right but I will try again when I have time to study it well.

Thiefofhearts,
Just take another look at ur contribution quoted below.

"No one cares, Octopus, many other people who have replied to your posts. Forgive me for having a problem with you asking a poster to post each picture and "explain what is wrong with it". You;re a sick person.

anyway ciao!

and please don't have any daughters. Thanks."

I believe one of the ground rules in Nairaland is to discuss issues and not to insult people.Please call urself to order.
Thanks.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:28pm On Aug 29, 2007
You called me immature, I called you sick. What's the problem?

Anyway I thought she said she wasnt going to respond to me anymore? What use is a person if they can't keep their word?  embarassed
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by oceanblue(m): 6:00pm On Sep 02, 2007
This is a very good topic. I am a circumcised male, even though it was done at infant, i am happy with the fact that i am.

However if i were a female[b] i would probably be raining curses on those who took part in the act till i die[/b].

(1) For a female, the health risks outweighs its cultural merit. apart from the risks of infections, there are greater treats to the female when she begins to have babies.

(2)There is no scientific evidence (as far as i know) to proof that female circumcision increases life span or improves the health of the (victim). I used the word victim because it is such a cruel act done to underage girls without their consent, medical implications put into consideration, as well as the psychological trauma (for those who are already grown and forced).

For a male, PERSONALLY, i would do it for my male child (only at infant) 'for reasons of pain. And this is only because of hygiene reasons, even though there are speculations that circumcised males are at lesser risk of STDs compared to those that are not. However i feel female circumcision can not be justified, and it must stop.

Only grown ups who feel like having it done should be allowed, to[b] spread their female Instruments on a chopping table[/b], awaiting to be sliced. thanks
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by JustGood(m): 12:23pm On Sep 03, 2007
Only grown ups who feel like having it done should be allowed, to spread their female Instruments on a chopping table, awaiting to be sliced. thanks

I think we should stop compelling children to go to school until they are old enough to decide whether they want to go to school or not.

who feel like it should be allowed to get tortured by forcefully being woken up daily to attend school and being denied the right to play from morning till night.
No child should have to endure such torment as to have to wake up early every weekday to go to school.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Seun(m): 12:58pm On Sep 03, 2007
@Justgood: Going to school does not harm a child, does it? And in fact it's compulsory - by law. Female genital mutilation - like facial scarification, and alcoholism - is harmful to children. They should be protected from it.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by uyai(f): 1:54pm On Sep 03, 2007
@ Poster
It is really sad to see a woman defend one of the greatest sin against women. Women! we are our own worst enemy.

You said it checks infidelity. Now what do you do to check a man's infidelity? You are a brainwashed woman, i hope you don't transmit that virus to the women and girls around you.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:09pm On Sep 03, 2007
JustGood, I think your brain is underneath your shoe. What kind of idiotic comparision is that?

uyai, Thank you, jare.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by nelie(m): 4:41pm On Sep 03, 2007
what the Bleep are yall talking bout? why is the whole thing so controversial? u had better summon ur asses together, or else i stop yall from signing in into nairaland. this site is mearnt to meet friends, orchestrate meaningful correspondence, and discuss constructive ideas. and not to insult folks !, angry
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by oceanblue(m): 6:46pm On Sep 03, 2007
In addition to my previous comments, i have stated the risks invoved in this cruel act of circumcision and my personal opinion. However 1 want 2 point some fins out.
(1)This medium MUST not be abused! The act of verbally assulting members HAS TO STOP.
(2) let contributions reflect intelligence,
(3) Internationally, female genital mutillation is unacceptable, its an act of cruelty, and whoever is advocating it MUST be severlly punished according to law.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by spoilt(f): 11:33pm On Sep 03, 2007
**sigh** not another thread on female circumcision. thought we were done with this?

@ poster
I thought your post was a trick of the light.
Had to read it again to make sure i saw what i thought i saw. You have got to be kidding me! Why should a woman be walking around without a clitoris ejo? shocked

im tired of talking about this topic. I will teach my daughter the virtues of womanhood and show her right from wrong. But i would not go to the extreme of chopping off her clitoris to ensure that she doesnt become promiscous.But then again some of the most promiscous women i know are circumcised! since when did circumcision stop all those girls from sleeping around. ?
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by jinworm: 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2007
Fufu King:

No problem.

When you hit reply, scroll down and look at the topic summary. Look at the message you want to quote, and then look to the right and click on the "Insert Quote" link.

Or, if you want to do it manually, just use the code [QU*OTE] [/QU*OTE] (Without the asteriks)

m
Fufu King link=topic=73994.msg1437885#msg1437885 date=1188253916:

No problem.

I like your courage 4 coming out puplicly to ask sb 2 teach u
hw 2 cut and paste in a box form of ur discussion.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Angelsty: 3:44pm On Sep 05, 2007
THIS IS A VERY STUPID POST!! THAT ANYONE WOULD HINT THAT FEMALE CIRCUMCISION IS IN ANY TINY STUPID WAY ANYTHING AKIN TO 'GOOD' IS ARRANT MADNESS!!!!

I WILL NOT EVEN BOTHER TO READ THESE CRAP!! FOR THOSE SPEAKING AGAINST IT, THANK YOU, AND FOR THOSE VOMITING OUT THAT IT IS A GOOD THING! I WILL JUST TAKE MYSELF OUT OF THIS THREAD BEFORE I SAY SOMETHING THAT IS NOT IN MY CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!

NONSENSE!!!
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by osisi5: 2:05am On Sep 06, 2007
Angelsty:

THIS IS A VERY STUPID POST!! THAT ANYONE WOULD HINT THAT FEMALE CIRCUMCISION IS IN ANY TINY STUPID WAY ANYTHING AKIN TO 'GOOD' IS ARRANT MADNESS!!!!

I WILL NOT EVEN BOTHER TO READ THESE CRAP!! FOR THOSE SPEAKING AGAINST IT, THANK YOU, AND FOR THOSE VOMITING OUT THAT IT IS A GOOD THING! I WILL JUST TAKE MYSELF OUT OF THIS THREAD BEFORE I SAY SOMETHING THAT IS NOT IN MY CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!

NONSENSE!!!

as usual it's a man like that character fufuking that must prove how good female genital mutilation is.
A man who has no female parts.
let him go chop off the crown of his "abunna".
he must be sprinkling something on his fufu
Idiot!!
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:13am On Sep 06, 2007
FuFuKing or you mean JustGood?
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by osisi5: 2:26am On Sep 06, 2007
wasn't he the one who earlier on told us the advantages of fgm?
you diagnosed him as having an extra skin,he should cut that off with the head of his oblokoss.
nonsense
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by omoge(f): 2:40am On Sep 06, 2007
blokous as in blokoss grin grin long time i heard that grin
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by spoilt(f): 2:41am On Sep 06, 2007
omoge:

blokous as in blokoss grin grin long time i heard that grin

omoge i swear you took the words right out of my mouth. I havent heard that word since the fourth grade. eew!
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by osisi5: 2:42am On Sep 06, 2007
what were you doing ,talking about oblokoss in 4th grade.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by spoilt(f): 2:43am On Sep 06, 2007
+osisi:

what were you doing ,talking about oblokoss in 4th grade.

my name is spoilt! duh! wink
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by osisi5: 2:44am On Sep 06, 2007
rofl.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by omoge(f): 2:47am On Sep 06, 2007
grin grin 4 grade and blokoss grin spoilt, you making me laugh real bad grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ebola: Can We Now Begin To Eat Our Bush Meat? / Police Requested For Bribe To Rescue Ekiti Doctors-Survivor Debunks Over-speedin / Bat-Borne 'Nipah' Virus Causes Lockdown In Parts Of India (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.