Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,077 members, 7,818,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:45 AM

Question On Nigerian Gun Laws - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Question On Nigerian Gun Laws (4084 Views)

Germany Student Visa Likely Question On Interview / The Menace Called 'road Accidents' On Nigerian Roads / Application For Right Of Abode On Nigerian Passport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question On Nigerian Gun Laws by EuroMeko(m): 10:26pm On Aug 19, 2011
As a Texan planning on coming back home , I need to ask this question.

I'm looking for concrete answers from possibly the legal field or links to as such.

What are the gun laws for Nigeria? Can a private citizen own guns? If so what types of guns? DO you have to license them?

Thanks.
Re: Question On Nigerian Gun Laws by Lax75(m): 2:01am On Aug 20, 2011
This is a good question. The problem I foresee is dealing with customs and authorities in Naija. I don't blame you for wanting to live in naija with some steel. I would also consider night goggles too :-)
Re: Question On Nigerian Gun Laws by EuroMeko(m): 2:37am On Aug 20, 2011
Your foresight is valid and is exactly what I foresee. I have a Concealed Weapons License now but will have no need for that in Nigeria even if it's allowed by private citizens (since it seems most robbery happen at night with the home owners around). I will be leaving on a farm in a village by choice and will be miles from help (if we can call the Nigerian Police help) but I'm used to that self reliant lifestyle.

I have military grade night vision goggles and you can actually source cheapy ones from HarborFreight or eBay.

There has to be a way since I know we have traditional hunters with shakaboolas (a variation of a shotgun really) and I thought I saw armed private guards in Lagos.

Incidentally I was at a Showambe in Ibadan last month and this Mumu security Guy was carrying this in the crowd, I would have preferred a sidearm myself for close quarter work. I asked him if I could take a picture he said no - bwahahahaha

Hopefully someone comes in with more details.
Re: Question On Nigerian Gun Laws by Lax75(m): 3:02am On Aug 21, 2011
Oh boy, what a piece! (the one the security guard has on him). You have mil-spec night gogs huh? Neat. I'm more of a "dirty harry" kinda guy. Call me a cowboy, I like magnums 'cos they pack some power. But you know in Naija, especially for village, I would suggest some automatics. Well at least one. One of my friends (ex marine) tried to smuggle some pieces into naija by hiding them in his shipment (a pick up found truck). Omo someway, somehow, the navy (naija navy) found out and it wasn't a funny story o. I will let you know if I get in touch with anyone who has successfully shipped arms into the country legitimately.
Re: Question On Nigerian Gun Laws by EuroMeko(m): 6:44am On Aug 21, 2011
Yo can purchase mil spec equipment here in the US at Army surplus stores. We used to buy even more really cool stuff until 911 - sigh.

Magnum is fine and is the epitome of hand guns but it is a bit heavy these days. You should put a few rounds through a Walther PSS if you ever get the chance. The 9mm version is what I have, it's slim for concealed carry but still delivers it's ordinance with accuracy. PSS stands for Police Special Slim, so you'll find a lot of Law Enforcement carrying it as their backup weapon. It's also very light and has adjustable grip.

If allowed I would for sure like to bring my AK but I understand if it's on a ban list even for Nigeria - lol

My Niece is the Marine.

Anyways, let me know what you find. I really wish there was an official website for these rules because I can start selling of my stash if I can't being them in.
Re: Question On Nigerian Gun Laws by anfanio: 3:01pm On Aug 22, 2011
Re: Question On Nigerian Gun Laws by EuroMeko(m): 4:44pm On Aug 22, 2011
anfanio:

check this

http://www.nigeria-law.org/Firearms%20Act.htm

Thanks for this very helpful link.

From a very casual first read, it seems that only shotguns and flintlocks are allowed and that requires permission from the President - hmmm, no wonder our nation is in shambles, the President is micro managing wink

(1) (Reply)

Nigerians In Hungary....lets Get In Here / If You Have The Opportunity, Leave Nigeria - US Based Nigerian Man / How To Get To Oshodi From Ikorodu And Then From Oshodi To Ijebu-ode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.