Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,094 members, 7,811,067 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? (33972 Views)

Bought A Car From Apapa Berger?? Pls Share Your Experience With The Car So Far / 7 Features To Look Out For When Buying A Car / BMW Trolls Mercedes On Halloween, Dresses AMG E53 Up To Look Like BMW M5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by yomalex(m): 6:39pm On Oct 29, 2022
Learning

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by gonkin(m): 6:41pm On Oct 29, 2022
ManishSmith:
Catalyst aka indomie
Go for 4 plug coil, it has less fuel consumption
Ask your mechanic to check the chassis

He should avoid any camry with this engine. The engine is good but burns oil than usual. Along the line the engine will need to be taken apart. Maybe 50,000miles after

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Minatouchiha(m): 6:41pm On Oct 29, 2022
Police and car battery thieves.

3 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by gonkin(m): 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2022
Zonefree:
Don't allow any vaginarian to monopolize the front seat of your car.

Yep im keeping this for later u. VAGINARIAN

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by chatinent: 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2022
Go with a mechanic. It's very important.

5 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by bigwig071(m): 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2022
Always have extra money with you for SARS.....

3 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by oglalasioux(m): 6:47pm On Oct 29, 2022
Don't give your car to mechanics to service. Take the car to a workshop yourself and make sure oils, filters, brake pads and other replaceable parts are changed while you are looking. That's the only guarantee you'll enjoy your car optimally.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by phemmyfour: 6:48pm On Oct 29, 2022
GLouis:
Hello, I am excited I will be purchasing my first car next Thursday. I have no experience in driving and cars so what are the things I should look out for ?

Transmission is key, even if you'll not check any other thing.

Start the car and accelerate it with gear in park position.

Now, go to the back and check the exhaust color. If it's blue or black...don't buy

2. Check under the car, if it's painted recently....it means it's suffering from rust

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by duality(m): 6:49pm On Oct 29, 2022
GLouis:
Hello, I am excited I will be purchasing my first car next Thursday. I have no experience in driving and cars so what are the things I should look out for ?

My only advice is,

Don't buy an expensive car. Buy a cheap car, work on it and deliberately be satisfied with it.

Use your money for other important things.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by McLizbae: 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2022
Nlanders can be stupid Sha... How una take know say Op nor be woman self!?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Tfx1: 6:52pm On Oct 29, 2022
Everything
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Juliusetoo: 6:55pm On Oct 29, 2022
Don't go for Nigeria use, because you can't with stand the problem

3 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by ManishSmith(m): 6:55pm On Oct 29, 2022
gonkin:

He should avoid any camry with this engine. The engine is good but burns oil than usual. Along the line the engine will need to be taken apart. Maybe 50,000miles after

The op need to make more research from the little information he gets here
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by nesane70: 6:56pm On Oct 29, 2022
Four tyres
Steering

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by sweetkisses(f): 6:58pm On Oct 29, 2022
Did you say you don't know how to drive?? That's the first you should learn.

Secondly go with a good mechanic o, especially the one that works with the particular brand of car you want.

Thirdly when you buy the car, pls drive carefully, know your speed limit, don't drink and drive.

Let me advertise my car, I need money for a certain project.

I have a Foreign used Honda Accord (2006 model) For sale.
V4 Engine

Price - 2.4m (slightly negotiable)

Location - Lagos
Contact - 08100287966

Don't sleep on this one

You can come for inspection anytime, also it Passed jiji's inspection as well.

4 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by MichaelSokoto(m): 6:59pm On Oct 29, 2022
GLouis:

Buy VW Golf 2 or 3 with 1.8L engine, manual transmission

be thanking me from now till at least next 15 yrs!
cool

4 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by emmabosco: 7:00pm On Oct 29, 2022
If your in lagos contact me for any cars of your choice trust me will help you get a good car
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by beleanlabels(m): 7:02pm On Oct 29, 2022
I am a car dealer and I have cheap deals presently. Let talk on WhatsApp/Call: 08134932159

GLouis:

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by GloriousGbola: 7:03pm On Oct 29, 2022
The preferred car is Toyota. It can take a lot of abuse.

Look very well at the cars paint. If some parts are shinier than others the car was in an accident and that part was panel beaten and resprayed

You need to check for welds. Some severely accidented cars are welded together. These cars are no longer structurally sound and can literally fall apart on you in an accident.

Try to ensure you can confirm the vehicle custom papers. Some cars are sold with forged papers which make things difficult for you if you run into customs

Ask for all the keys. Ideally the car should come with 3.you should go with a mechanic, but as this is your first car you have no real relationship with the guy and he will likely just collect his cut from the person selling the car. Confirm the little things. The tires, the spare tire, the battery, etal.

Expect to do some corrective work

Good luck

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by minasu190: 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2022
You don't have experience in driving and u want to go for it?anyways be ready for car maintenance.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by CaveAdullam: 7:06pm On Oct 29, 2022
A thread to talk about autos/cars and dumbass nairalanders has turned it into a sexual debate.

Rather than you guys shut up your dumb mouth that exposes your empty brains, you all end up fighting for the front page and end up spewing thrash. No information was gained. No knowledge was shared. Dumb people!

Dear Op...

Things to consider:

1. Price of the car.

2. Your money.

3. Type of car.
a. Availability of spare parts.
b. Availability of parts mechanic.
c. Authenticity of parts.

4. Ease of use.

5. Ease of maintenance.

6. Nigeria roads.

7. Security system/tracking device.

8. Knowledge about road rules.

9. Knowledge about road officers.

10. Authenticity of car documents.

11. Authenticity of driving documents.

12. Availability of trusted car expert(s).

13. Reserved funds for constant maintenance.

14. Driving frequency: commercial or private.

Thanks.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Emperor88(m): 7:07pm On Oct 29, 2022
Buy Tokunbo....go along with an Auto expert......Go to a proper driving school....Do a Google research yourself on everything about the car you intend to buy. After purchase, avoid women and drunk driving.

2 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Ugoc3(m): 7:08pm On Oct 29, 2022
Are you buying direct Belgium or Nigerian used
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by yinkbell: 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2022
Excited about your first car?

Keep your eyes on the fuel gauge bro!

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by twosquare(m): 7:10pm On Oct 29, 2022
Save yourself the troubles and buy a brand new car, straight from the factory...na sufferhead dey do those ones above. tongue

8 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by gonkin(m): 7:12pm On Oct 29, 2022
:
ManishSmith:

The op need to make more research from the little information he gets here

cheesy the op is really gonna get confused. But ill advice him to start with a matrix. He can try corolla if he has mind
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by BrutusOj(m): 7:14pm On Oct 29, 2022
phemmyfour:
Transmission is key, even if you'll not check any other thing.

Start the car and accelerate it with gear in park position.

Now, go to the back and check the exhaust color. If it's blue or black...don't buy

2. Check under the car, if it's painted recently....it means it's suffering from rust
You guys are confusing we the JJC on cars oo. Someone mentioned above that, "if the exhaust releases white smoke, don't buy". Now, you are saying the bolded in your comment.

14 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by shaqur231(m): 7:15pm On Oct 29, 2022
If you have seen any car you did like to purchase be it a tokunbo car or a registered car, do the following;
1st for a tokunbo car. Demand to see the Vin tag of the vehicle, that is the tag by the driver door frame. With the vin nos you will be able to get the car history from 1st purchase such as accident history, theft history, service history and so on.
2nd. After that you demand for the customs paper for verification at any custom command closest to you.
3rd. Get a mechanic or pay for a thorough inspection to be carried out on the vehicle. This will enable you detect any mechanical or electrical faults.
4th. Test drive the car for further inspection .
5th. Make sure you are buying from a reliable car stand.
Note: the 1st and 2nd steps can be done at the comfort of your home.

For a registered vehicle you need to be very careful as it has landed people in cell.
1st. Demand for customs and registration documents.
2nd. You can run the registration plate to know if there are no fines on the plate number especially if you are buying from Lagos. The CCTVs installed has fined most motorist in Lagos either for traffic offense or insurance/ license renewal.
3rd. Demand to meet the vehicle owner and pay directly to his or her account.
4th. Do not forget to conduct an inspection on the vehicle for mechanical or electrical fault.

Thank me later, I deal on automobiles, my contact 08034221109
You can run a check on plate numbers using the link https://payvis.ng/

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Streetmovement(m): 7:15pm On Oct 29, 2022
Wotoporiously cool speaking

Which model of car you wan buy first? And why you no learn how to drive first before you purchase a car!! Abi you be woman?

I no fit advice you for now cuz the above should have been in place before you thought of buying a car.

But all the same, whatever makes you sleep well at night but it would have been better to put the above in order before purchasing a car so you don't end up with lack of choices and the rest...all I can say is I wish you good luck in your new found toy and make sure to drive safely and sound.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by sukkot: 7:18pm On Oct 29, 2022
GO WITH THESE THINGS
1= odb2 scanner to check if anything is wrong with the car
2= battery and alternator scanner
check the tires, is there an extra tire ? is there a caution sign and a fire extinguisher and a jack and a spanner

the eyeball test. look at the body. does it look solid and firm and not lopsided ?
check the coolant ?
check all the fluid levels
try to start it and listen to the engine sound. does it start easily andd is the sound nice an low or just chaotic ?
take it for a spin. does it drive well ?
turn the steering ? easy or hard ?
check the ac. is it workng well
check the integrity of the serpentine belt

good luck

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by brandsoncharlie: 7:19pm On Oct 29, 2022
BigCowHornn:
Chose all you want put pay an expert to check it out for you.

Crawl on your knees under and look for rust. If you see one dont buy.

Pay attention to the exhaust when the car engine is on. If you see white smoke don't buy.
That rust part, grin. Especially the exhaust pipe And those connecting rods on the wheels very important.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Someone Just Paid ₦17.5 Billion For This 56 Year-old Ferrari 250 GTO / Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / Help! My Mechanic Is Driving Me CRAZY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.