Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,607 members, 7,823,639 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? (34092 Views)

Bought A Car From Apapa Berger?? Pls Share Your Experience With The Car So Far / 7 Features To Look Out For When Buying A Car / BMW Trolls Mercedes On Halloween, Dresses AMG E53 Up To Look Like BMW M5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by iamsolasoul(f): 7:20pm On Oct 29, 2022
Leaks under the car in the photo. Go to a lot or have the seller meet you at the mall where there are cameras and witnesses.

Do tinted windows you will have to get it from the IG so your plate number and photo is actually going to pass through his office. Do the License with The Local Government directly be present and have witnesses

Remove the vin from view

Rust is bad but with body work and metallic spray you can get good years. Get an Alarm not those fuse one. Don’t just accept fuses from your mechanic some of them control the car

Keep a weapon in your car avoid doing your car work with fanatics they turn to stalkers quickly

Everyday reset the key

They may have a copy but who said it will drive it’s better than just meeting a stranger in a neighbourhood they can rob you on your way out.

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Oct 29, 2022
Put it on car insurance and install a tracker in it.
GLouis:
Hello, I am excited I will be purchasing my first car next Thursday. I have no experience in driving and cars so what are the things I should look out for ?

2 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by BABANGBALI: 7:24pm On Oct 29, 2022
Look out for ladies, both old and young, single and married, also look our for envy and jealousy amongst your family members, friends and colleagues.

7 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Jamie1000: 7:26pm On Oct 29, 2022
Things you should consider.

First, go with a professional And a friend who owns a car.

* Go for cars with low or average mileage.
*If you're buying used car, don't go for the cheapest car.

*Consider the year of the car and market value in the next few years
*Browse the common problem with the car year and model. Every car has an issue, some can be managed, some are worst and make your life miserable.

*What is the purpose of the car you intend to buy? Is it for hurzle? (corrola, Civic or Matrix) family use and office(Camry, Honda Accord, Huidai )? Or for a befitting status(Benz, Lexus, BMW)? Remember You can't have both. You can either go for one purpose and forget the rest

*Don't understimate any problem you might observe with the engine or gear and Ac system. This things cost alot to fix and might be the problem for the sale and possibly price drop

*Check out for welded joint, and avoid accident cars.
* Avoid pimped cars, mostly driven by boys. Go for cars that are basic, mostly driven by older men or women.

*Consider your after expenses during bargain. 4 Tires, Need for professional spray, More elegant rims. Remember, these things might cost you upto 400-500k

*Put performance ahead of beauty

* Check for unterperd exhaust system
GoodLuck

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by toxtimmy: 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
In my own little opinion considering you don't know how to drive that is if I read your statement correctly... not sure how much your potential car is worth but if it is large sum then buy a land or if you have a land start putting something on it asap.

With global recession coming a car is just a car, remember fuel and maintainance is expensive and the bad condition of roads in Nigeria makes it double or triple expensive to maintain a car...unless of course you need the car to make money in some way shape or form... But if it's just a car for car sake then no bother, regardless it's still your choice but if you do get the car enjoy as it's your sweat.

GLouis:
Hello, I am excited I will be purchasing my first car next Thursday. I have no experience in driving and cars so what are the things I should look out for ?

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by professore(m): 7:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
buygala:

Postpone your purchase..Then ask this question and assimilate all the advice you can before you leap

Don't be like that yeye girl for here wey no seek advice before she go buy dedi bodi Camry Spider wey nearly kill am..only for here to start laying curses on folk here when we explained to her the consequences of her indiscretions..Na her Papa she lay curse on sha..Das if that moto never kill her sef

There are too many things you need to know before you leap into buying a car..especially if you are a 1st time car driver and have no previous experience with cars.

As for me, I will just drop these few tidbits for you:

Research the kind of car you intend buying ..some cars are generally more reliable than others.

Pay an expert to inspect whatever vehicle you intend to purchase...Paying that stipend for inspection will definitely save you a lot of sorrow, tears and blood.

Others will make their input..me don tire

nice input

2 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by phemmyfour: 7:32pm On Oct 29, 2022
BrutusOj:
You guys are confusing we the JJC on cars oo. Someone mentioned above that, "if the exhaust releases white smoke, don't buy". Now, you are saying the bolded in your comment.
light White/ steam is ok. You can Google it.

Blue means consumption of oil
Black means consumption of fuel

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by ViceGovernor: 7:32pm On Oct 29, 2022
Just watch out for red jacket on the road and you'll be fine

2 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by bepositive11: 7:34pm On Oct 29, 2022
CaveAdullam:

A thread to talk about autos/cars and dumbass nairalanders has turned it into a sexual debate.

Rather than you guys shut up your dumb mouth that exposes your empty brains, you all end up fighting for the front page and end up spewing thrash. No information was gained. No knowledge was shared. Dumb people!

Dear Op...

Things to consider:

1. Price of the car.

2. Your money.

3. Type of car.
a. Availability of spare parts.
b. Availability of parts mechanic.
c. Authenticity of parts.

4. Ease of use.

5. Ease of maintenance.

6. Nigeria roads.

7. Security system/tracking device.

8. Knowledge about road rules.

9. Knowledge about road officers.

10. Authenticity of car documents.

11. Authenticity of driving documents.

12. Availability of trusted car expert(s).

13. Reserved funds for constant maintenance.

14. Driving frequency: commercial or private.

Thanks.

This should have been the first comment.

@bolded It's very disheartening. Nairaland should do something about those toxic folks. They themselves can't even see that they have a big problem. It's no wonder they end up meeting toxic women who validate their toxic views. Nairaland should ban them.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by professore(m): 7:36pm On Oct 29, 2022
ManishSmith:
Catalyst aka indomie
Go for 4 plug coil, it has less fuel consumption
Ask your mechanic to check the chassis
brother, kindly tell me the reason for the chasis to be checked. Thanks in advance.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by kolaaderin: 7:45pm On Oct 29, 2022
GLouis:

https://www.nairaland.com/7244704/super-clean-11-12-hyundai

I have this cheap super reliable economical SUV with 4 plugs for you.
Call me. It’s mines directly no middle man. Grade 1 foreign used.

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by CaveAdullam: 7:48pm On Oct 29, 2022
bepositive11:

This should have been the first comment.

@bolded It's very disheartening. Nairaland should do something about those toxic folks. They can't even see that they have a big problem. It's no wonder they end up meeting toxic women who validate their toxic views. Nairaland should ban them.

They are not toxic but are jobless. And instead of using that lack of employment to source information and listen to those that have surpassed them they end up typing and releasing thrash daily, 24/7, round the clock. They are the epitome of dumbness. Even in romance, dating, and relationships they still have nothing to offer. Just go through their previous posts and see how slow they are. And they are always in a stampede for the front page.

The ease of creating new emails is the advantage they have, so banning them will be a tedious task. The best thing as far as I understand is to monetize the first 3 - 5 pages; pay before you comment. However, we are in a world where data and humans are the products that brings profit, so such may not be possible.

The frequency for us now is to bepositive11.

Thanks.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by cedricksly: 7:52pm On Oct 29, 2022
Do not buy a car without catalyst

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by princewarri1985: 7:53pm On Oct 29, 2022
GLouis:

bros buy the car first before asking nairalanders these questions, this world is a very wicked place, count your teeth with your tongue, about 20 years back my uncle was travelling to America, nobody knew about it untill he got there, not even his immediate elder brother my father! so bro be wise, a word they say is enough for the wise
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by professore(m): 7:55pm On Oct 29, 2022
duality:

My only advice is,

Don't buy an expensive car. Buy a cheap car, work on it and deliberately be satisfied with it.

Use your money for other important things.
sometimes it is the modern safety features of the car that will save you in an unexpected situation.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by phemmyfour: 8:10pm On Oct 29, 2022
princewarri1985:
bros buy the car first before asking nairalanders these questions, this world is a very wicked place, count your teeth with your tongue, about 20 years back my uncle was travelling to America, nobody knew about it untill he got there, not even his immediate elder brother my father! so bro be wise, a word they say is enough for the wise
Africa mentality
These days, nobody cares about how you live your life. If you don't do the right thing, you LL be denied visa.

5 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by duduade: 8:11pm On Oct 29, 2022
A lot on this have been opened on this car talk section na . Why can't the OP search for these threads... Then when he needs further clarification on some things he asks.... Just lazy people upandan on NairaLand

Be opening the same thread almost everytime

Rubbish

2 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by obembet(f): 8:13pm On Oct 29, 2022
Zonefree:
Don't allow any vaginarian to monopolize the front seat of your car.

Chairman of stingy men association

3 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Ashley86400: 8:15pm On Oct 29, 2022
Zonefree:

Correct, you're on the right track. Any vagina that flags you down for a lift, splash her dirty water.

The way Una Dey talk sometime ehn.
As if no be woman born Una.
Men wey get moni no Dey reason as Una Dey reason.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Ashley86400: 8:16pm On Oct 29, 2022
buygala:

Is that how you splash your mother and sisters dirty water when they ask for a lift in your car?..
As in ehn?
Zero respect for women.
If you no get good girlfriend fine. But don't throw rubbish advice to guys wey get beta babe for their side.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Despirited: 8:17pm On Oct 29, 2022
1. Check the catalyst if it is still there, u will know this by checking the engine light
2. Check the under of the car if not rusty, it could be one of the cars that has been submerged in water before,
3. Check the alignment from the back or sideways to see if not an accidental vehicle that's too obvious
4. Check the engine from the under after some minutes of ignition to ensure it's not a refurbished engine leaking oil
5. The seat, the boot to ensure the Jack and the extra tyre is there
Few among many
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by largeman4u(m): 8:22pm On Oct 29, 2022
Buy from credible source like largeman Motors
Also do the comprehensive vin report to check the history
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by bepositive11: 8:26pm On Oct 29, 2022
CaveAdullam:

They are not toxic but are jobless. And instead of using that lack of employment to source information and listen to those that have surpassed them they end up typing and releasing thrash daily, 24/7, round the clock. They are the epitome of dumbness. Even in romance, dating, and relationships they still have nothing to offer. Just go through their previous posts and see how slow they are. And they are always in a stampede for the front page.

The ease of creating new emails is the advantage they have, so banning them will be a tedious task. The best thing as far as I understand is to monetize the first 3 - 5 pages; pay before you comment. However, we are in a world where data and humans are the products that brings profit, so such may not be possible.

The frequency for us now is to bepositive11.

Thanks.

They are jobless but also toxic - misogynistic. I pity the young boys who read their posts and start developing deep hatred and disrespect for women.

They won't even let men in happy relationships celebrate their happiness in peace.

I agree that the monetizing the first few pages won't work and banning them also won't work.

At this point, I just ignore threads that I know these people will be commenting on. I clicked on this one not expecting them to be here, but I was sadly wrong.

Anyway, let's be positive and ignore them.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by yusufmurry: 8:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
GLouis:

I have bn thinking of this , Trust me I no get there time. Thanks

Baba, it's easier said than done.

They are daughters of Lucifer, e no go hard to see them jump into.

Good luck and I pray for no severe breakfast

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by manmade(m): 8:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
Guard your catalyst jealously or ensure you don't buy a car which catalyst has been "tapped" , try not to be giving your car to the kazeems (roadside) mechanics, they are always ready to exchange your new parts with the old one given to them to repair
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Zico777(m): 8:30pm On Oct 29, 2022
Akonimohate12:
grin cheesy grin
grin
U dey ment!
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by rickleye: 8:32pm On Oct 29, 2022
Personally
1. Checking the VIN number online will tell me the accurate odometer.
2. Go with a Mechanic- pay the dude 5k to do an inspection for you. He will tell you on the spot what needs to be replaced in a few months or immediately.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Jamie1000: 8:39pm On Oct 29, 2022
After purchase.
* Always service the engine on time with good oil
* Form a habit of checking the fluid level of your engine, gear, coolant, break and maybe power steering. And top up if need be. These practice can save you a fortune

* Service below 3kmiles(4800km). Don't prolong your engine service when due.

*Get your documents correct.

*Don't leave your car with a mechanic. Always make yourself available. Or face the Damages. Don't just be a zoombii... Learn one or two

*If, there's an issue, be calm, Google, watch video on YouTube and then scan before you proceed to mechanic workshop. Else you might be working on a different thing entirely that isn't the problem. Thereby creating more problems. Don't guess, find theoritical solution before you practicalize.

*Buy original parts, don't cut corners, you will end up spending twice in a short time.
*Don't manage a damaged part, it might leave you stranded.

*Make sure your tires are upto date, atlleast, 2019 make and always guaged. Saves you fuel

* Do your wheel balancing and alignment, regularly. This can prevent accident and makes your driving fun.

*Avoid road competition, over speeding, and under speeding. Move like a stream of fish when on the highway.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by mu2sa2: 8:41pm On Oct 29, 2022
Make sure you do a Vin check, which will give the history of the car. Buy a car that has a neat body and sound engine. Avoid high mileage car ( I won't touch any car with over 150,000 miles). Toyota, including its elder bros lexus, and Honda brands have a good reputation for reliability.
Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by RosyIsBlessed: 8:41pm On Oct 29, 2022
BigCowHornn:
Chose all you want but pay an expert to check it out for you very well.... diagnostics must be run. If seller refuses don't buy even if it's at a giveaway price.

Crawl on your knees under and look for rust. If you see any don't buy.

Pay attention to the exhaust when the car engine is running. If you see white smoke don't buy.

Op take this seriously.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by kaymart: 8:43pm On Oct 29, 2022
McLizbae:
Nlanders can be stupid Sha... How una take know say Op nor be woman self!?
Haven't you seen his reply....
He's clearly a man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. / The Fastest Car Of Every Decade (1880-present) / 9 Throwback Cars You Old People Will Remember

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.