Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,003 members, 7,821,518 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel (5698 Views)

BUHARI VS IBB Change Is Here, Change Is Possible. / Obj Vs Ibb: You’re An Ingrate, Fani- Kayode Tells Obasanjo / Effc Vs Ibb? And The Winner Is! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by OAM4J: 2:54am On Aug 21, 2011
[size=13pt]OBJ vs IBB: Moves to settle quarrel fail[/size]

Moves by the Presidency and highly placed Nigerians to call a truce between former president Olusegun Obasanjo and former military dictator, General Ibrahim Babangida, appear to have come to a dead end.

A peace meeting was reportedly being planned by the Presidency to resolve the bitter exchange between the former leaders on Saturday.

Obasanjo however told SUNDAY PUNCH on Saturday that, “There is nothing like that.”

Just as Obasanjo was making this pronouncement on Saturday, Babangida said his political differences with Obasanjo, did not amount to a quarrel.

A newspaper publication (not THE PUNCH) had reported on Saturday that the Presidency was planning to broker a peace meeting between the feuding former heads of government who had taken their animosity to the pages of newspapers.

A close aide to Obasanjo however told SUNDAY PUNCH that he was not aware of any peace talks between him and Babangida.

“There is nothing like that. Nobody is planning a peace meeting. We are not aware of any as at now (Saturday afternoon). None,” he said.

Obasanjo had last Thursday responded to a scathing comment by Babangida that the former’s reign was a failure and visionless.

Obasanjo in his response, described Babangida’s comments as that of a foolish man, and added that between 1979 and 1999, when he returned as a civilian president, no regime had built a single power plant in the country.

IBB, he said, presided over eight of the 20 years.

Babangida, who spoke with our correspondent in Abuja through his media aide, Mr. Kazeem Afegbua, said that he was not quarrelling with Obasanjo.

When asked about the reconciliatory moves by friends of the former presidents, Afegbua, who spoke on the telephone, said, “We are not quarrelling. We just differ on the point of presentation. If you read our interview, we talked about his regime and revelations at the National Assembly. That is all.

“He was the one who decided to throw decency into the air by calling somebody a fool. When they (IBB and Obasanjo) meet, they will greet each other. They will shake hands and interact.”

SUNDAY PUNCH further gathered that ‘people in high places’ have been telling Obasanjo to sheathe his sword by shunning further altercation.

“Yes, people in high places have called Baba (Obasanjo) that he should keep quiet over the issue; that is why we are not saying anything for now. I cannot disclose the names of these people but they are influential people; they have pleaded with him not to say anything more on the matter,” the source said.

Obasanjo, in a telephone interview with SUNDAY PUNCH last Friday, insisted that he never mooted or sponsored the controversial third term bid.

He jocularly said in Yoruba, “If anyone pokes his finger into my mouth, I will bite it.”

Fresh facts however emerged on Saturday on why Babangida is angry with Obasanjo.

A member of Babangida’s disbanded presidential campaign, who spoke with our correspondent on condition of anonymity, said it would be difficult for the Minna-born general to forget what he called “Obasanjo’s betrayal” in 2007 and 2011.

The source said Babangida felt betrayed that Obasanjo could work against his presidential ambitions in both years, which he said was contrary to the agreement both of them had when he worked with the then Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar (retd), to make him president in 1999.

The source said, “But rather than reciprocate what IBB did to him in 2007, Obasanjo went and brought out the late President, Alhaji Umaru Yar’Adua to contest against IBB.”

The source added that Babangida was more pained that Obasanjo denied him the gift of a second chance that he (Obasanjo) got.

Meanwhile, Vice Admiral Akin Aduwo (retd) has described the public exchange of words between the former presidents as a ‘complete shame, completely out of character, an international disgrace, an embarrassment to Nigeria and the military that gave those two people prominence as heads of state.”

Aduwo, who was the military governor of the Western state, said Babangida remained a subordinate to Obasanjo, “IBB is a subordinate to Obasanjo at all levels — service to the nation, the military, government and politics. The superior officer remains the superior officer.

“They went through all sorts of military training in discipline, leadership, mood control, conduct control. I have never been so shocked. Whoever is your superior up till retirement from active service remains your superior. It is also important to note that General Obasanjo never took part in planning of coups.”

Aduwo said he believed Babangida had a ‘hidden agenda to provoke Obasanjo’ during the former’s 70th birthday but that Obasanjo should have kept quiet because ‘silence is golden.’

He then recommended that both men should face the consequences of their indiscretion and their attempt to bring the nation down after ruling the country collectively for 24 years.

He said, “If I was in the position, I would recommend that the Chief of Defence Staff should seek the permission and authority of the president to convene a court martial with General Yakubu Gowon as the chairman because they are guilty of what is known as conduct to the prejudice of good order and service discipline in military law.

“As former heads of state, and members of the National Council of State, they should be banned from that assembly of eminent Nigerian rulers and their ranks stripped and withdrawn from them.”

Similarly, two main opposition parties in the country, the Congress for Progressive Change and the Action Congress of Nigeria have lambasted the warring former presidents for bringing the nation to ridicule.

While the CPC said the latest outburst of the former presidents was a calamity to the nation, the ACN said their action was undignifying and unbecoming of former presidents.

National Publicity Secretary of the CPC, Mr Rotimi Fashakin, said nobody should reconcile the two septuagenarians because their outburst was already revealing the evils they had played against the nation.

Speaking in the same vein, the National Publicity Secretary of the ACN, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said there were more pressing issues in the polity the two former leaders should address their energies to rather than the latest exchange of abusive words.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108218455475
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by OAM4J: 2:57am On Aug 21, 2011
Let them be left alone! We need them to reveal each other's atrocities.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Roland17(m): 3:19am On Aug 21, 2011
^^^ exactly my thought, in their anger they would reveal their dirty pasts to Nigerians.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Kobojunkie: 4:08am On Aug 21, 2011
Reveal what? For pete's sake which kin amnesia una dey get so? These two got into it last year as well. We are talking here of two neurotic old men dealing with their demons and a nation, with no shame, pretending it is great to give them all this attention each time. Tufiakwa!
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Johnpaul2k2(m): 9:07am On Aug 21, 2011
im enjoying dis drama grin
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by member479760: 9:09am On Aug 21, 2011
nothing good can comes out of a blackmen!
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Finland(m): 9:41am On Aug 21, 2011
nakedall:

You are very stupid! Why bring colour of skin into this? I am sure you are black and if you are white you are times 10 stupid! Hammer a point from political perspective not racism!, Di*k head
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Funkymallam(m): 9:46am On Aug 21, 2011
nakedall:

Hope u r a naked charcoal black man. Rubbish
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by AndreUweh(m): 9:50am On Aug 21, 2011
There should be peace between the duo. Probably, traditional rulers from their home towns has to be engaged in this peace resolution.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Ekiti1: 9:59am On Aug 21, 2011
nakedall:

^^Why expose your foolishness. Your comment and your knowledge of english language is shameful.
A simple sentence and you bungled it.
Nw tell me the relationship btw the topic and ur comment.
Zap.i.n.g r.a.c.is.t.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by niceG: 10:04am On Aug 21, 2011
Guys, let's forget about this good for nothing old fools, if they want to diss each other they should move into the music industry so we can see 9ja old 2PAC and B.I.G. OLD AND SHAMELESS THINGS.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Freiburger(m): 10:11am On Aug 21, 2011
Who cares when two animals like the two of em are beefing?
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by valicious1(m): 10:18am On Aug 21, 2011
Over grown babies. Nooooo they should continue spreading their dirty linens outside for the world to see. Must OBJ respond to every statement made for or against him, are they the only rulers nigeria has ever had, who has ever heard that shagari, gowon, abdusalami or even shonekan came out to absuse themselves in public. OBJ & IBB are perfect replica of failure,disgrace & disappointment.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by edicolove: 10:37am On Aug 21, 2011
Funny isnt it? If OBJ had not responded, everyone one of you would have come out to say IBB was right and thats why OBJ could not deny it. ACN and CPC would have picked up the chorus and said IBB was right. The man simply defended himself and you guys are saying he was wrong. wrong? for defending himself? Did he start the insults? This is a shameful taking of sides by Nigerians just because you dont like the man. I respect the man 100 times over because he would not take crap from the so called northern ruling class. He is the only one that has been able to defile them and he keeps defiling them and they can do nothing to him. Without him, IBB would have come back as president. And 419 would have returned back as our major export. Thank God for OBJ.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by 677ano(m): 10:55am On Aug 21, 2011
Why dont Nigerians concentrate on their personal life and development rather than discussing two presidents that looted and wrecked the country economy angry cry
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by ogbomo1(m): 11:01am On Aug 21, 2011
nakedall:

you are very stupid and if you say its your opinion, then you are a 100 times foolish, God is giving the nation the freest information, which will lead the most corrupt leaders in Nigeria to be jailed, you are talking crazy b sh*t
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Oshomo12(m): 11:02am On Aug 21, 2011
nakedall:

Bloody IDIOT!
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by holluwizzy: 11:05am On Aug 21, 2011
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm i can't disturb my self about such people beacuse they have lavished and embesseled and loot the country and if disgracing themself in this manner is the what the little drama they can act. please a movie director should be appointed so that i can start watching season 1.
                                                                            Titled IBBsanjo.
                                                actions packed , suspense,horror, and also thrilling.

watch out cheesy

this people dont care about you . they have the money and everything except for them to come back to power
think of how you will survive and not to worry about those who their food is ready before they sleep at 9ite.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Oshomo12(m): 11:08am On Aug 21, 2011
Oshomo12:

Bloody !

Bloody I. D. I. O. T!
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by ektbear: 11:10am On Aug 21, 2011
OAM4J:

He jocularly said in Yoruba, “If anyone pokes his finger into my mouth, I will bite it.”

Hehe grin

Aduwo, who was the military governor of the Western state, said Babangida remained a subordinate to Obasanjo, “IBB is a subordinate to Obasanjo at all levels — service to the nation, the military, government and politics. The superior officer remains the superior officer.

“They went through all sorts of military training in discipline, leadership, mood control, conduct control. I have never been so shocked. Whoever is your superior up till retirement from active service remains your superior. It is also important to note that General Obasanjo never took part in planning of coups.”

What Admiral Aduwo doesn't understand is that Hausa and such have never respected the chain of command and authority. The only thing they understand is violence and force. Which is why OBJ is responding the way he has.

I don't think anybody needs to offer OBJ advice on how to handle his business. The old man has it covered.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by braine(m): 11:19am On Aug 21, 2011
I can't believe these men where our leaders
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 21, 2011
braine:

I can't believe these men where our leaders

Right from independence, to the first coup, then the counter coup, then to the Shagari era, then back to the coups and the counters coups and the phanton coups, then to Abacha/Abiola deaths, then to 1999 sham of elections, then to 2011 elections and then till these moments:

These men have been "our" leaders.

Do you know that if not that we resisted so much, OBJ would have still been in Aso Rock? If not that we fought hard, IBB would had been sworn in last May?

It's a shameful reality, but we must face it. Yes, these our leaders!
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by Nobody: 11:50am On Aug 21, 2011
IBB is still smarting from the pain of being beaten by OBJ in the number of years to rule loot Nigeria.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by IykeD(m): 12:08pm On Aug 21, 2011
Obj insults people at will, that was how he said, while on a national television, when asked about the song "Nigeria jajajaja" by Idris and he went thus "Na em papa jagajaga". What nonsense, is Nigeria his private property, if it was, he had an opportunity to prove it, why didn't he make her great having ruled us for more than 10 yrs, i wonder how his upbringing was actually.

I have read the interview granted by IBB, he never made a personal attack on OBJ, he only commented on the fact that more than $16Billion was put into the power sector and nothing came out of it and he has a right to comment on bothering national issues being a huge stakeholder. The old man from Ota instead of also commenting on IBB's administration if he wished to "revenge", went personal and called him a fool-a fool at 70, what a silly thing to say, from someone who is revered as Baba from all angles, baba my black a.s.s!

He actually feels he is a god and no one can talk about him, i wish IBB can discipline him pretty well, next time, he will think before he talks rather than the other way round.
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by edicolove: 12:16pm On Aug 21, 2011
If you read the full article, you should have seen that IBB insulted him. Please go and read the full article again.

And Idris should not have sang that stupid song. What was his proposed solution in the song? Have you ever seen any other musician sing that about their country? Idris should be tied to a bed and flogged. You dont insult your country no matter what. God bless Nigeria
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by finsulyman: 12:19pm On Aug 21, 2011
i de laugh ooo - atiku
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by IykeD(m): 12:30pm On Aug 21, 2011
edicolove:

If you read the full article, you should have seen that IBB insulted him. Please go and read the full article again.

And Idris should not have sang that silly song. What was his proposed solution in the song? Have you ever seen any other musician sing that about their country? Idris should be tied to a bed and flogged. You dont insult your country no matter what. God bless Nigeria

Pls paste the article here let us read and see where IBB insulted him.

What are you saying, an artiste has the right to sing watever he so desires. Music is his fighting tool, if the song is not good for consumption or is seen as anti-government, there is an organization saddled with that responsibility, the song will be banned! So are you trying to tell me that Idris sang anything bad? Did he sing anything compared to the likes of Fela et al, even if he did, does that give the ota old man the freewill to insult his father on a national television, if you were Idris's father, how would you have felt? Why didn't he foolishly say "na Idris jagajaga", why did he have to refer that to his father? Pls think well and do not try to justify that old man's arrogance!
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by cold(m): 1:05pm On Aug 21, 2011
edicolove:

What was his proposed solution in the song? Have you ever seen any other musician sing that about their country? Idris should be tied to a bed and flogged. You dont insult your country no matter what. God bless Nigeria
You must be high on something cheap
nakedall:

In as much as I find your comment distasteful & your grammar detestable,I dare say there is a modicum of truth in what you have just said.I have never seen a more anti-progressive set of people in my entire life & sojourn on this earth.No love for one another,just pure hatred,wickedness,evil &diabolic thoughts,pestilence,retrogression,did I mention wicked?
Take these two senile fools for instance that are the subject of the thread.Both of em had the opportunity to place Nigeria on the world map,yet they chose to plunder & pillage the country.Crippling the economy & leaving it in a comatose state,impoverishing the rest of us.Yet they walk about freely & still have the audacity to insult our intelligence with their opprobrium.This can only happen in the black race,no other race would tolerate this type of unbridled 'in your face' arrogance.I dey vex
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by mansmith(m): 1:14pm On Aug 21, 2011
them go deh pose ,them go deh denge denge
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by marcus1234: 1:27pm On Aug 21, 2011
Re: Obj Vs Ibb: Presidency Unable To Settle Quarrel by deluxecad(m): 2:02pm On Aug 21, 2011
There's no peace for the wicked, says the Good Book.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Wife Of Osun Speaker Kidnapped / Economically: How Is Biafra Going To Survive ? / Former Governor Donald Duke Disgraces Jonathan For Not Developing South-South

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.