Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,829 members, 7,828,033 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:07 PM

EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? (2657 Views)

The Meaning Of The Sign On Bola Tinubu's Cap (Pictures) / Naira Redesign: You Must Put Arabic Sign On Every Note - MURIC To CBN / What Is This Arabic Sign Doing On Our Bank Notes And Coat Of Arms (pic)? Rubbish (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 6:16am On Nov 01, 2022

From the Cable, NOVEMBER 11 2020

The Cable, Nov 11 2020

The federal government, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and attorney-general of the federation (AGF) are battling with a suit filed by Malcolm Omirhobo, a Lagos-based lawyer, seeking the removal of Arabic inscriptions from naira notes because they “represent Islam”.

Why is this such a big issue? What exactly is this ‘Arabic sign’?

TheCable does a little bit of research and comes up with some interesting facts.

Is it Arabic or Hausa

Long before the British colonial government thought of amalgamation — or brought Western education to Nigeria — Arabic script had been introduced to Hausaland (in modern-day northern Nigeria) by traders and scholars from across the Sahara.

The proper term for this ‘Arabic sign’ is Ajami. It is an Arabic-derived African writing system.

The Hausa people used the Ajami script to write in Hausa language — hence the confusion that it is ‘Arabic’.

In much of Eastern Africa, Arabic-derived script is used to write Swahili, although the language itself is Bantu-based.

Since African languages involve phonetic sounds and systems different from the Arabic language, there were adaptations of the Arabic script to transcribe them

This is similar to what has been done with the[i] Arabic script in non-Arab countries of the Middle East and South Asia, with the Latin script in Africa or with the Latin-based Vietnamese alphabet[/i].

“Utend̠i wa Tambuka” is an epic poem dated 1728. The language is Swahili but the script is Arabic-based.

This is confusing. What we see on the naira is clearly Arabic but you are saying it is Hausa.

The ‘Arabic sign’ on the naira is actually Hausa language written in Arabic script.

As explained earlier, in the pre-colonial era, the Hausa people took the Arabic script and made it their own.

A typical northerner can read Ajami even if they do not understand the Latin script that is used for English.

The northern part of Nigeria did not embrace Western education early, and there is a strong resistance to it in many parts till today.

But most northerners are versed in Ajami, having undergone Arabic-based Quranic education as children.

Okay then. Should Arabic script still be on naira notes? Why not the common Latin?

The argument against the Arabic inscription on the naira notes is that it is a violation of sections 10 and 55 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Section 10 of 1999 Constitution reads: “The Government of the federation or of a state shall not adopt any religion as state religion.”

The notion is that Arabic and Islam are the same, and this has led to accusations that the Arabic “symbol” on the naira connotes religion and promotes Islamisation.

However, section 55 specifies that the country’s affairs must be conducted in English, Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa.

Since Ajami script is in Hausa language and is not a symbol of Islam or any religion, many will argue that no law has been violated.

Nigerian laws are silent on the script for writing, although the most common is Latin

Nigeria used pounds and shillings as national currencies before the change to naira and kobo in 1973. Both had the Ajami script.

I am holding a N10 bill right now. I can’t find any Arabic script on it. Are you sure of all you have been saying?

In February 2007, the government removed Arabic script from some lower-denomination notes. It said that Ajami was no longer necessary because most Nigerians could now read and write in English.

The government also said it removed Ajami in order to conform to Nigeria’s 1999 constitution.

In 2014, the Goodluck Jonathan administration issued a new N100 note to commemorate the 1914 amalgamation.

Naira Goma (N10) was written in Hausa with Ajami script until 2007

In 2007, Naira Goma was changed from Ajami to Latin script

On the previous banknote, the words “Naira Dari” — Hausa for “one hundred naira” — appeared in Ajami.

Now, the Hausa was printed, like the Yoruba and Igbo, in Latin letters (English).

This was highly controversial and was viewed in religious and political contexts.

Currently, there is Ajami script on N1,000, N500 and N200 notes.

SAUCE/SORCE/SOUCE

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by michlins(m): 6:22am On Nov 01, 2022
Why Arabic language. Why not idoma

2 Likes

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by general111(m): 6:24am On Nov 01, 2022
Nigeria is multi ethnic society, such things should be taken out or written in plain english. angry grin angry...

2 Likes

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by loosecanon50(m): 6:25am On Nov 01, 2022
This country called Nigeria, I don't just understand. Wahala is just too much is this country

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by jenniferjude613: 6:31am On Nov 01, 2022
That's Niger for you
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by butterfly777(m): 6:36am On Nov 01, 2022
Don't worry. Nigeria will soon split and Oodua Republic will emerge. You can go your your Hausa Fulani land and do your arabic Islamic caliphate there.

But Gid will still not permit you to make Hausaland an Islamic calophate because of the hausa Fulani christians and those of other northern tribes.
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Oceanjagaban: 6:45am On Nov 01, 2022
God has personally cursed Nigeria
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by temitope27(m): 7:07am On Nov 01, 2022
Oceanjagaban:
but the curse is only on ur generation
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by talk2hb1(m): 7:12am On Nov 01, 2022
michlins:
Ajami not Arabic
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Sammy07: 7:14am On Nov 01, 2022
The truth is, it shouldn't be there at all.

Igbos and Yorubas also have their own writing system before colonization.

They've already written the notes in English, Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa)

Why Ajimi again? Why not pigin?
Why not Benin, efik, idoma, Ijaw etc..

And also many people should understand that Ajami is Hausa written in Arabic like Yoruba written in English (e.g Oshey, Werey)

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Maxymilliano(m): 8:12am On Nov 01, 2022
And when did Ajami become the country lingua franca
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Obidient4life3: 8:26am On Nov 01, 2022
OP you actually don't have the right information to explain yourself. You don't need more than two to three sentences to explain yourself.

Arabic just like the Chinese way of writing is a calligraph based way of writing.
That is to say, in this art of writing, what is symbolised is actually phonetical sounds and syllabus and not language. Hence, this way of writing can be used to write any language.

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 01, 2022
michlins:

Why do we use English on our currency then? And why only Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo, why not any of the other 247 languages we speak?

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:31am On Nov 01, 2022
general111:
Nigeria is multi ethnic society, such things should be taken out or written in plain english. angry grin angry...

Agreed....though for me, it does not matter whatever the lingo...so long as I can buy something with it...
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 01, 2022
butterfly777:
Don't worry. Nigeria will soon split and Oodua Republic will emerge. You can go your your Hausa Fulani land and do your arabic Islamic caliphate there.

But Gid will still not permit you to make Hausaland an Islamic calophate because of the hausa Fulani christians and those of other northern tribes.

Aww...did i hurt the little one?

Somehow Arabic bothers you, while English...the language of your colonizer..does not.
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:32am On Nov 01, 2022
Oceanjagaban:

Which includes you and your extended family...since you are all...NIGERIANS.
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by compton11(m): 8:32am On Nov 01, 2022
michlins:
English has already represented the idoma
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 01, 2022
Sammy07:
The truth is, it shouldn't be there at all.

Igbos and Yorubas also have their own writing system before colonization.

They've already written the notes in English, Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa)

Why Ajimi again? Why not pigin?
Why not Benin, efik, idoma, Ijaw etc..

And also many people should understand that Ajami is Hausa written in Arabic like Yoruba written in English (e.g Oshey, Werey)

Good question.

In my humble opinion..in fifty years, it won't matter...we won't be using physical cash then.
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:34am On Nov 01, 2022
compton11:
English has already represented the idoma

English is not the language of the idoma.
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 01, 2022
Maxymilliano:
And when did Ajami become the country lingua franca

Your comment sounds like 'When did Roman script become the language of the English and French, when did chinese script become the language of the Japanese, and the Koreans, when did Arabic script become the language of the Turks and the Persians...

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 01, 2022
Obidient4life3:
OP you actually don't have the right information to explain yourself. You don't need more than two to three sentences to explain yourself.

Arabic just like the Chinese way of writing is a calligraph based way of writing.
That is to say, in this art of writing, what is symbolised is actually phonetical sounds and syllabus and not language. Hence, this way of writing can be used to write any language.

The article I quoted even points out that Ajami was modifed to suit the demands of Hausa language (it is more tonal than Arabic).

Same as Chinese script was modified to meet the demands of the Japanese and Koreans...and Roman script was for many European languages, and Cyrillic was used for Russia, Serbian, and Bulgarian, among others.
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by NwaliE01: 8:45am On Nov 01, 2022
Arabic that till today, majority of us don't understand what it meant. They should esponge the Arabics.
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by general111(m): 8:48am On Nov 01, 2022
Kasssandra:

Agreed....though for me, it does not matter whatever the lingo...so long as I can buy something with it...
cheesy :Dyou are just an easy going fella cheesy
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by dallasi: 8:53am On Nov 01, 2022
michlins:

Ordinary Tiv dey over oppressed una for the state
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 01, 2022
general111:
cheesy :Dyou are just an easy going fella cheesy

I'm not, the currency issue does not bother me.

I am just as pissed about the UK's imperalism, and even the past crimes of the germans and the french...but if someone gave me 10000 euros or pounds for free, no strings attached, I will just take the money and thank him...and go and enjoy. cheesy
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by general111(m): 9:03am On Nov 01, 2022
Kasssandra:

I'm not, the currency issue does not bother me.

I am just as pissed about the UK's imperalism, and even the past crimes of the germans and the french...but if someone gave me 10000 euros or pounds for free, no strings attached, I will just take the money and thank him...and go and enjoy. cheesy
truth is, the average nigerian is tied to one religious sentiment of the other.so, when the government's policy doesnt favour your sentiment, you reject it.
Right now, it looks like that inscription on the naira note doesnt favour rhe sentiments of christians.
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Coolguy34(m): 9:14am On Nov 01, 2022
Why not write in English?
Why Arabic?

I do data entry-related jobs and I'm good at it, kindly check my signature for my contact so we can talk.

Best regards
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 9:19am On Nov 01, 2022
Coolguy34:
Why not write in English?
Why Arabic?

I do data entry-related jobs and I'm good at it, kindly check my signature for my contact so we can talk.

Best regards

English is written in Roman script

Hausa is written in Arabic script.

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Oceanjagaban: 9:56am On Nov 01, 2022
Kasssandra:

Which includes you and your extended family...since you are all...NIGERIANS.
You don't need to specificy,even if you are opportuned to have a mobile phone,you idiot of a person

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Oceanjagaban: 9:58am On Nov 01, 2022
temitope27:
but the curse is only on ur generation
Shut up Mr poor man...you wretched fool

1 Like

Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Nobody: 10:01am On Nov 01, 2022
Oceanjagaban:

You don't need to specificy,even if you are opportuned to have a mobile phone,you idiot of a person

Aww, tocuhed the nerve, didn't i.?

Anyways, good am. cheesy
Re: EXPLAINER: What Is This ‘arabic Sign’ On The Naira All About? by Oesophagus99(m): 10:52am On Nov 01, 2022
The Arabic inscription on the naira notes is simply saying that Jesus is not God! undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

If London Times Had Featured Tinubu Pictures / Director Of Football In Saudi Arabia League Is A Nigerian, From IGBO Land. / What Will You Say Is Nigeria's Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.