Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:16 AM

What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? (31765 Views)

10 Most Developed State Capitals In Nigeria. / The Most Developed State Capital In Nigeria ? / Awka Is Nigeria’s Least Developed State Capital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 12:35pm On Aug 23, 2011
Abagworo:

To determine the most developed State,a lot of things is involved which most of us as lay men cannot ascertain.But some basic factors need to be considered like economic independence,level of diversification,literacy level,Health,Power and water supply,Access roads and standard of living.To me Lagos inspite of all odds comes a distant 1st.Delta,Rivers and other monolithic economies are still finding their feet.The North would have scored high if not for literacy and health.

Some people tend to mistake urbanization for development,hence the mention of Anambra which is the 2nd most urbanised State after Lagos.It is however relegated to the background in terms of actual development.The environmental condition is appauling and no revenue is generated.Health department has been grounded for months while crime rate is high.No pipe-borne water and constant electricity.

Abia,Ondo,Ogun,Kano,Oyo surprisingly clash 2nd in my accessment.Why?

They have more diversified economy and better standard of living.Only Ondo and Abia are oil producing but did not lose agriculture and industry entirely.Ogun is highly industrialized while Kano and Oyo are industrial and Agricultural.

Imo my State comes in same class as Enugu and Cross River which has beautiful environment but economically relegated.They seem the best place to live but not to make money.

Kaduna and Plateau are out of it because they are very volatile and hence scares away investors.This will continue until they stop their ethnic and religious extremism.

Your just being chauvinistic and blinded by myopism, if you like. The above highlighted are equally same and even worse in your own state of origin. I know from the word go that you have always been intimidated and choked each time the nomenclature Anambra is mentioned. Whether you like it or not Anambra is ahead of you by all indices of development. Anambra has the highest internal revenue base in the entire SE. Anambra has the highest investment base in the SE, which explains why it has the highest bank concentration in Nigeria after lagos state. Enugu, Abia maybe close to good development indices, but Imo state is very far behind in this race of economic, infrastructural and human development. Your state imo is not even considered as states with any form of or anticipated economic growth in the far future, not to talk of today. Apart from Owerri which is not up to American Qtrs and Omagba Layout in Onitsha, the entire imo state is largely forest lands, almost all the rural areas are cut off from each other. I have travelled from Anambra to somewhere in arondizogu and other parts of imo state its a horrible environmental and bad road situation to behold. Does imo state start and ends with owerre state capital You guys should go and develop your state to attract human capital as seen in lagos, Rivers, Anambra, even Delta states.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 12:55pm On Aug 23, 2011
chino11:

Your just being chauvinistic and blinded by myopism, if you like.  The above highlighted are equally same and even worse in your own state of origin. I know from the word go that you have always been intimidated and choked each time the nomenclature Anambra is mentioned. Whether you like it or not Anambra is ahead of you by all indices of development. Anambra has the highest internal revenue base in the entire SE. Anambra has the highest investment base in the SE, which explains why it has the highest bank concentration in Nigeria after lagos state. Enugu, Abia maybe close to good development indices, but Imo state is very far behind in this race of economic, infrastructural and human development. Your state imo is not even considered as states with any form of or anticipated economic growth in the far future, not to talk of today. Apart from Owerri which is not up to American Qtrs and Omagba Layout in Onitsha, the entire imo state is largely forest lands, almost all the rural areas are cut off from each other. I have travelled from Anambra to somewhere in arondizogu and other parts of imo state its a horrible environmental and bad road situation to behold. Does imo state start and ends with owerre state capital You guys should go and develop your state to attract human capital as seen in lagos, Rivers, Anambra, even Delta states.

You seem too myopic in issues and blinded by sentiments.Imo State is finer than Anambra.A cluster of houses on red laterite roads with rusty roof is not finer than well layed out green vegetation except in a mad man's world.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 1:12pm On Aug 23, 2011
Abagworo:

You seem too myopic in issues and blinded by sentiments.Imo State is finer than Anambra.A cluster of houses on red laterite roads with rusty roof is not finer than well layed out green vegetation except in a mad man's world.

This goes to show that you need to be properly enlightened. Onitsha has one of the best urban layouts out, with proper planning, from Omgba phase 1& 2, GRA,American Qtrs these are high profile neighbourhoods with modern architectures. From Awada to Fegge to Nkpor with high-rise residential. Awka has witnessed a surge in infrastructural development with modern designs and buildings clad in long span aluminiuns unlike your owerri with rusted zink all over the town. Nnewi is quite industrial. I ask you again does imo state starts and ends with Owerri Where is the fed allocation for your God forsaken state imo goes Orlu, Okigwe are shanties and all the rural areas in Imo state are in shamble, no access roads, no sanitation. I think you have not been to Anambra in the recent time, Anambra is quite beautiful and accessible from Awka to Nnewi to Onitsha to Ekwulobia to Uga to Obosi to Oba to Otuocha to Amawbia and many more Anambra towns are all developed to brink with commercial banks struggling to take position. Anambra is an economic/investment destination of SE, Imo state will forever remain the back yard to Anambra state
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 1:25pm On Aug 23, 2011
I'm confused by some of the post here; perhaps @OP needs to change the the term "developed" to "developing" states. On that note; we need core items to measure development process. IMO, I say comparison amongst # of cities experiencing development using a scale on core components on 1 to 5

1. Infrastructures

2. Employment and Income Distribution

3. Health and Environment

4. Education and literacy

5. Security Awareness

So apply each rating from 1 being lowest to 5 being highest and any states with the highest points follow in order.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 1:28pm On Aug 23, 2011
chino11:

This goes to show that you need to be properly enlightened. Onitsha has one of the best urban layouts out, with proper planning, from Omgba phase 1& 2, GRA,American Qtrs these are high profile neighbourhoods with modern architectures. From Awada to Fegge to Nkpor with high-rise residential. Awka has witnessed a surge in infrastructural development with modern designs and buildings clad in long span aluminiuns unlike your owerri with rusted zink all over the town. Nnewi is quite industrial. I ask you again does imo state starts and ends with Owerri Where is the fed allocation for your God forsaken state imo goes Orlu, Okigwe are shanties and all the rural areas in Imo state are in shamble, no access roads, no sanitation. I think you have not been to Anambra in the recent time, Anambra is quite beautiful and accessible from Awka to Nnewi to Onitsha to Ekwulobia to Uga to Obosi to Oba to Otuocha to Amawbia and many more Anambra towns are all developed to brink with commercial banks struggling to take position. Anambra is an economic/investment destination of SE, Imo state will forever remain the back yard to Anambra state

I never claimed we had more traders,banks and markets.We generally prefer education and sound environment.A journey from Owerri to Onitsha is enough to tell the difference.From Mgbidi to Owerri is clearly different from Uli to Onitsha.That is the only major highway that transverses through the two States.I have nothing more to add.Just pass through there and see for yourself.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 1:40pm On Aug 23, 2011
Abagworo:

I never claimed we had more traders,banks and markets.We generally prefer education and sound environment.A journey from Owerri to Onitsha is enough to tell the difference.From Mgbidi to Owerri is clearly different from Uli to Onitsha.That is the only major highway that transverses through the two States.I have nothing more to add.Just pass through there and see for yourself.

I have passed thru those places. The difference is clear that Anambra has better road network than Imo state. Anambra under Ngige gave us good network of roads by far better than un-motorable track roads in Imo state, courtsey of ohakim and gang grin. Peter Obi is even doing more to complement what Ngige did. Anambra state has good statistics when it come to education, check jamb records. About 93% of the traders in Onitsha drug market @ head bridge(ogbo ogwu) are imo citizens, ask your people from orlu they will tell you. Anambra has created a monolithic economy like Lagos, Rivers. With the coming on stream of Onitsha port, Orient refinery, Cargo Airport, Anambra would have been totally economic independent from Nigeria.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 1:42pm On Aug 23, 2011
manny4life:

I'm confused by some of the post here; perhaps @OP needs to change the the term "developed" to "developing" states. On that note; we need core items to measure development process. IMO, I say comparison amongst # of cities experiencing development using a scale on core components on 1 to 5

1. Infrastructures

2. Employment and Income Distribution

3. Health and Environment

4. Education and literacy

5. Security Awareness

So apply each rating from 1 being lowest to 5 being highest and any states with the highest points follow in order.

Good parameters
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by MMM2(m): 2:33pm On Aug 23, 2011
abia state
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by ak47mann(m): 2:39pm On Aug 23, 2011
chino i dont no what people think of anambra state?  grin what i know is that compare to most state in Nigeria anambra is doing well in terms of infrastructure and poverty rates i know that onitsha nnewi nkpo  this three cities generate billions monthly in terms of internal revenue i dont think any other state apart from lagos abj which we dont rates cos of federal govt investment there, but most other states in Nigeria cannot  generate that capacity internally  cool
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by Emmy3(m): 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2011
FIRST THREE ARE:
Lagos,
Delta,
Kaduna,
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 2:45pm On Aug 23, 2011
ak47mann:

chino i dont no what people think of anambra state?  grin what i know is that compare to most state in Nigeria anambra is doing well in terms of infrastructure and poverty rates i know that onitsha nnewi nkpo  this three cities generate billions monthly in terms of internal revenue i dont think any other state apart from lagos abj which we dont rates cos of federal govt investment there, but most other states in Nigeria cannot  generate that capacity internally  cool

Correct. My brother kedu ije
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by ak47mann(m): 2:51pm On Aug 23, 2011
chino11:

i dey my brother i dey come anambra for December i go dey GRA onitsha hope when time come we go see each other for the first time grin what do u think? cheesy
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 2:59pm On Aug 23, 2011
Nwanne it will be a great moment to meet with you. Am based here in Awka, exactly Udoka estate opp. NNPC mega station. From Awka to Onitsha is less than 30min drive. I visit Onitsha most weekends for shopping. Am very conversant with GRA, Onitsha, up to American qtrs even Omagba areas.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by Ajibel(m): 3:11pm On Aug 23, 2011
chino11:

ak47mann:

chino i dont no what people think of anambra state? grin what i know is that compare to most state in Nigeria anambra is doing well in terms of infrastructure and poverty rates i know that onitsha nnewi nkpo this three cities generate billions monthly in terms of internal revenue i dont think any other state apart from lagos abj which we dont rates cos of federal govt investment there, but most other states in Nigeria cannot generate that capacity internally cool

this is crazy. . . . i lived in anambra for 16 years and so to assess,anambra ahouldnt come into the top 3 to 5, people are high for mentioning anam-bra after lagos
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 3:30pm On Aug 23, 2011
ak47mann:

chino11:

I have passed thru those places. The difference is clear that Anambra has better road network than Imo state. Anambra under Ngige gave us good network of roads by far better than un-motorable track roads in Imo state, courtsey of ohakim and gang grin. Peter Obi is even doing more to complement what Ngige did. Anambra state has good statistics when it come to education, check jamb records. About 93% of the traders in Onitsha drug market @ head bridge(ogbo ogwu) are imo citizens, ask your people from orlu they will tell you. Anambra has created a monolithic economy like Lagos, Rivers. With the coming on stream of Onitsha port, Orient refinery, Cargo Airport, Anambra would have been totally economic independent from Nigeria.

you 2 are talking rubbish, is it not the same anambra i lived in, nnewi to be specific

Lol grin grin someone is even talkng of billions of naira generated from anambra. I mean this is a total joke

anambra is far behind kaduna, lagos, delta, ogun, kano, rivers, cross river, oyo, adamawa

i mean people, c'mon undecided

in terms of infrastructure (clean water, better power supply, good roads etc), universities,, security, schools, the the government involvement with the citizens, anambra has failed

I mean is it not the same anambra that thousands of people move out of, every year to states like kaduna, kano, lagos, adamawa, ogun, oyo. rivers, cross river

c'mon
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by koolguy88(m): 3:35pm On Aug 23, 2011
Lagos followed by Anambra
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 3:39pm On Aug 23, 2011
koolguy88:

Lagos followed by Anambra

on what bases did anambra get to second place ? or is this just a guess work
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by manny4life(m): 3:42pm On Aug 23, 2011
alj_harem:

on what bases did anambra get to second place ? or is this just a guess work

I believe that others proved to you why it's 2nd place and you thought otherwise.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 3:47pm On Aug 23, 2011
^^^^ Check all the indices of development in lagos they are manifest in Anambra. Anambra and Lagos and Rivers has few things in common.

River/Sea port - Anambra >Lagos>Rivers

Oil and Gas/ Refinery -Rivers> Anambra

International Cargo Airport (under-construction) > Anambra

Gas plant - Anambra> Rivers> Delta

http://inlng.com/DailyIndependent/Article.aspx?id=32647

The above are major factors of industrialization, which Anambra has fair share of it and it has placed Anambra on the road map to independent economy
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 3:54pm On Aug 23, 2011
alj_harem:

you 2 are talking rubbish, is it not the same anambra i lived in, nnewi to be specific

Lol grin grin someone is even talkng of billions of naira generated from anambra. I mean this is a total joke

anambra is far behind kaduna, lagos, delta, ogun, kano, rivers, cross river, oyo, adamawa

i mean people, c'mon undecided

in terms of infrastructure (clean water, better power supply, good roads etc), universities,, security, schools, the the government involvement with the citizens, anambra has failed

I mean is it not the same anambra that thousands of people move out of, every year to states like kaduna, kano, lagos, adamawa, ogun, oyo. rivers, cross river

c'mon

While I do agree on Anambra not being 2nd most developed but the reason for migration is rather over-population.Anambra and northern Imo State(Orlu area) is over-populated and hence the migration of people out of that region.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 3:56pm On Aug 23, 2011
manny4life:

I believe that others proved to you why it's 2nd place and you thought otherwise.

No brother they did not prove anything to me. again majority of people are using the bases of IGR alone as a measurment of development which is wrong

I said IMO that to measure development of a state or region factors that need to be considered are

1. IGR

2. Population

3. Number of people moving in to the state daily

4. Amount of business distract

5. Infrastructures, amenities

6 the Vialability of the state or region

this to me come together not just infrastructures and IGR alone

or am i wrong because i am willing to learn smiley
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by koolguy88(m): 3:59pm On Aug 23, 2011
@Alj harem, you need to go to Anambra state and see for yourself, the Igbo man has really developed his homeland, wif the combination of towns like onitsha, state capital, Awka and other local government areas, even villages, i think Anambra state has really developed more than other states apart from lagos
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 4:01pm On Aug 23, 2011
Abagworo:

While I diagree on Anambra not being 2nd most developed but the reason for migration is rather over-population.Anambra and northern Imo State(Orlu area) is over-populated and hence the migration of people out of that region.

Ha, over population rarly move people away from a region.
You see brother, if a group of people are suffering or have seen a better region, it does not matter if that better region is over populated, people would still move to that region regardless of the circumstance, it is called survival

that is how the human brain works

take a look at populated cities of the world, london, new york,

majority of people still move there regardless of the over population, although a small potion of the people still move away (as u said over population) but this is insignificant to the people moving to the region or state of plenty
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 4:05pm On Aug 23, 2011
koolguy88:

@Alj harem, you need to go to Anambra state and see for yourself, the Igbo man has really developed his homeland, wif the combination of towns like onitsha, state capital, Awka and other local government areas, even villages, i think Anambra state has really developed more than other states apart from lagos

Actually i have been to anambra , nnewi.

u talk of onitsha which to me is just a big market and not even as big as sabon gari

awka can not even be compared to any kaduna city. quote me on this.

apart of lagos and abuja, lets be objective here. In your eyes anambra is developed if u have not traveled far

go to kano, kaduna, adamawa, ogun, cross river. that is development

tell me any major infrastructure where you can have leisure time in anambra.

( i am not hating just discussing)
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 4:18pm On Aug 23, 2011
alj_harem:

You see brother, if a group of people are suffering or have seen a better region, it does not matter if that better region is over populated, people would still move to that region regardless of the circumstance, it is called survival

majority of people still move there regardless of the over population, although a small potion of the people still move away (as u said over population) but this is insignificant to the people moving to the region or state of plenty

Alhaji, your making sense for the first time on NL. I agree with on that point, population does not discourage people from moving away from economically vibrant cities. Case-study: New York, London. Back home Lagos, Onitsha, Port Harcourt, Kano, the intimidating population of the afore-mentioned cities has not discouraged any intending investors, those cities are still where investor will wish to go and invest due to high population and volume of economic activities which surpasses other cities in the federation.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by aljharem3: 4:20pm On Aug 23, 2011
chino11:

Alhaji, your making sense for the first time on NL. I agree with on that point, population does not discourage people from moving away from economically vibrant cities. Case-study: New York, London. Back home Lagos, Onitsha, Port Harcourt, Kano, the intimidating population of the afore-mentioned cities has not discouraged any intending investors, those cities are still where investor will wish to go and invest due to high population and volume of economic activities which surpasses other cities in the federation.

thanks you understand my point
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 4:31pm On Aug 23, 2011
alj_harem:

Actually i have been to anambra , nnewi.

u talk of onitsha which to me is just a big market and not even as big as sabon gari

awka can not even be compared to any kaduna city. quote me on this.

apart of lagos and abuja, lets be objective here. In your eyes anambra is developed if u have not traveled far

go to kano, kaduna, adamawa, ogun, cross river. that is development

tell me any major infrastructure where you can have leisure time in anambra.

( i am not hating just discussing)

Your brain has failed you once again. The above highlighted are economically dry zone. On the above states you mentioned, list relaxation or leisure places in those states that is above the ones in Anambra. (With exception of Cross River which does not have natural resources, but flourishing tourism)? Again how many prominent towns are there in kaduna state that can stand the weight of Onitsha and Nnewi alone?? Again you have not been to Awka city recently that explain your comparism with kaduna city. Awka may be small but it has some of the best architectures and modern edifices coupled with govt drive towards face-lifting the city. Kaduna is an old state that has suffered numerous religious crisis that has affected its economic activities and has discouraged investors. The only thing that still brings kaduna to the fore is dying NNPC refinery, outside that nothing is happening in that state.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 4:37pm On Aug 23, 2011
alj_harem:

Over population causes scarcity of resources and competition and hence migration to a less competitive area.There is scarcity of land and money in Anambra.Villages are built up and populated like township.It is only the SE that has that kind of population density.
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by ektbear: 4:39pm On Aug 23, 2011
Lack of electricity, bad roads and bad transport has really killed these northern towns economically.

From what I read, there was a time when Kaduna and Kano had bustling industry.

Just hard to be far from the coast with bad transport. . . means so far from the rest of the world
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 4:49pm On Aug 23, 2011
Abagworo:

Over population causes scarcity of resources and competition and hence migration to a less competitive area.There is scarcity of land and money in Anambra.Villages are built up and populated like township.It is only the SE that has that kind of population density.

Why not go and rest for at least two hours to recover yourself? Where did you get your rubbish that there is scarcity of land and money in Anambra Anambra has good expanse of land in Otuocha/Anam area, where the Oil/Gas refinery, the International Cargo Airport is being sited. Has people in Onitsha moved to your Owerri because it has population or because your Imo state is economically dry?? If the money is not in Onitsha has it now moved to your Owerri?? FYI, the level of capital/fiscal transaction that goes on daily in Anambra, Onitsha, Nnewi precisely can only be compared to the ones in Lagos. Mon-Fri, the popular Awka Road, New Market Road, Old Market Road all in Onitsha can only be said to be like the Wall Street, New York
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by chino11(m): 4:50pm On Aug 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lack of electricity, bad roads and bad transport has really killed these northern towns economically.

From what I read, there was a time when Kaduna and Kano had bustling industry.

Just hard to be far from the coast with bad transport. . . means so far from the rest of the world

I agree with you on this. Govt at all levels need to do more for Nigerian economy to flourish
Re: What's The Most Developed State In Nigeria? by Abagworo(m): 5:03pm On Aug 23, 2011
chino11:

Why not go and rest for at least two hours to recover yourself? Where did you get your rubbish that there is scarcity of land and money in Anambra Anambra has good expanse of land in Otuocha/Anam area, where the Oil/Gas refinery, the International Cargo Airport is being sited. Has people in Onitsha moved to your Owerri because it has population or because your Imo state is economically dry?? If the money is not in Onitsha has it now moved to your Owerri?? FYI, the level of capital/fiscal transaction that goes on daily in Anambra, Onitsha, Nnewi precisely can only be compared to the ones in Lagos. Mon-Fri, the popular Awka Road, New Market Road, Old Market Road all in Onitsha can only be said to be like the Wall Street, New York

Going by your logic,an Anambra man should not be living in Imo or Rivers State.Could you please explain why they are all over the country even Zamfara,Niger Republic,Cotonou and some very poor countries.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Tinubu Cannot Stand To See A Woman Cry, Deserves To Be President - Group / BREAKING: Nasarawa Lawmakers Serves Gov. Al-makura Impeachment Notice / "Buhari Is The Commander Of Executive Corruption" - Farooq Kperogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.