Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:04 AM

Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable (1105 Views)

Urhobo Youths Protest Kachikwu’s Nomination As Minister / Falae: Yoruba Leaders Threaten Secession From Nigeria If… / Ezeife- They Have Made Nigeria Ungovernable For Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by UYCO: 10:42pm On Aug 22, 2011
In a text message circulated yesterday after a press conference held in Warri, Urhobo youhts and Forum of former students leaders vow to make delta state ungovernable over the high level of unemployment in delta state. The youths said the governor Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan must explain the reason why the 5,000 pipeline security jobs were given to militants without taking into consideration the unemployed graduates in the state. In their words "we hail from the same oil producing community like the militants, we breath the same polluted air like the militants, if millitancy is a criteria for government patronage, then we will wage full scale war against the state. We unemployed graduates can do worse than the millitants" the statement added.
The sms sent by the group reads"Revolution: Deltans are advised to stay away from the delta state anniversary coming up, we will invade the anniversary let the revolution begins from there.Uduaghan has failed us"
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 22, 2011
I am watching
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Beaf: 11:03pm On Aug 22, 2011
I feel for these guys, but why would graduates want pipeline security jobs? Something doesn't sound quite right, I really don't want anybody spoiling the good name Urhobo land has garnered for itself over the years. Urhobo's are a minority who have always attained beyond their minority status and don't need this.

However I'm sure the govt has no choice but to sort them out, more than enough has been done for the ex-militants.
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Nobody: 11:06pm On Aug 22, 2011
Beaf:

I feel for these guys, but why would graduates want pipeline security jobs? Something doesn't sound quite right, I really don't want anybody spoiling the good name Urhobo land has garnered for itself over the years. Urhobo's are a minority who have always attained beyond their minority status and don't need this.

However I'm sure the govt has no choice but to sort them out, more than enough has been done for the ex-militants.
So the fifth largest ethnic group in the country is a minority. undecided
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by aljharem3: 11:07pm On Aug 22, 2011
Beaf:

I feel for these guys, but why would graduates want pipeline security jobs? Something doesn't sound quite right, I really don't want anybody spoiling the good name Urhobo land has garnered for itself over the years. [b]Urhobo's are a minority [/b]who have always attained beyond their minority status and don't need this.

this are your people fighting back because of the suffering, what do u say "urhobos are a minority"

Please Is Isoko you people a majority. Who are the majority in delta state
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by aljharem3: 11:08pm On Aug 22, 2011
blink182:

a beg ask am o.

delta state is pratically urhobo state
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by jason123: 11:09pm On Aug 22, 2011
Beaf, uhrobos are THE majority in Delta state.
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Nobody: 11:12pm On Aug 22, 2011
Delta state was created to separate urhobo from bini in the then bendel state, I guess I made a mistake by calling you an intellect. How can you let sentiments becloud your judgement to this level?
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Beaf: 11:17pm On Aug 22, 2011
blink182:

Urhobo, the fifth largest in the country? Come on!
I have volumes of Urhobo blood flowing through my veins, but I wouldn't make such a grand claim.

The only semi-correct statement so far has come from Jason. Urhobo's are the biggest ethnic group in Delta state, but not the majority; the other ethnic groups combined (Igbo, Isoko, Itsekiri and Ijaw) are numerically bigger.
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 22, 2011
So who is the majority in delta state undecided
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Nobody: 11:25pm On Aug 22, 2011
Urhobo is a major Nigerian ethnic nationality in tropical Niger Delta.The Urhobo people are located in the present Delta State of Nigeria.

They occupy the southern portion of the Benin lowland and the floodplains and swamps of the petroleum-rich Niger delta. With a population of some two million people, the Urhobo people are the 5th largest ethnic group in Nigeria and constitute the largest single ethnic group in Delta State. The population density in Urhoboland is about 660 persons per square kilometer.

The writer hereby acknowledges, as required by the regulation of his Alma matter that this paper derives from the doctoral thesis submitted to the University of Pretoria Pretoria, South Africa, for the award of the Doctor of Music (DMus) degree. It investigates the issue of meaning in symbolic communication circle in igoru music of Okpe culture. Okpẹ is an ethnic nationality in the central district of Delta State, Nigeria within latitude 6º and 5º North and longitude 5º 50¹ and 6º 25¹ East (Onigu Otite, 1973: 4). It occupies a large expanse of landmass about 500sq kilomitres of mainland, mangrove, swamp and rivers (Otite, 1982: 121). It is politically divided into Okpe and Sapele Local Government Areas of the state. It is one of the 374 ethnic groups in Nigeria (Otite, cited by David Dafinone, 2000: 8 [Internet) and about the largest ethnic group in Delta State, with population density up to 248, 314 in 1991/1992 census commission report (Onokerhor aye, 1995: 48). Some authors use the colonial political grouping that put the Okpe and Urhobo together and claim that “the Urhobo [and Okpe] people are the 5th largest ethnic group in Nigeria and constitute the largest single ethnic group in Delta State (www.urhobo.org, anon), or claim that “In land area, Urhobo [and Okpe] is larger than Switzerland (Dafinone, 2000: 3 [Internet]).

I cn't post post source, don't want to get banned over nothing
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Beaf: 11:30pm On Aug 22, 2011
^
Your post supports my position about majority vs largest ethnic group.

There is no ethnic majority in Delta state. We only have bigger and smaller groups, the fact that Urhobo is the biggest doesn't make it the majority group.
In order to get an absolute majority, they must team up with others (usually the Igbo's); eg if an Urhobo politician decides to rely on Urhobo votes and organisation alone, he will fail (even if he won).

The truth of the matter is that cooperation works best in Delta state, not size of ethnic group.
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by Nobody: 11:34pm On Aug 22, 2011
^^
You know the context in which I used the word majority so stop trying to confuse yourself. Just accept it as it is.
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by aljharem3: 11:35pm On Aug 22, 2011
Beaf:

There is no ethnic majority in Delta state. We only have bigger and smaller groups, the fact that Urhobo is the biggest doesn't make it the majority group.
In order to get an absolute majority, they must team up with others ([size=13pt]usually the Igbo's)[/size]; eg if an Urhobo politician decides to rely on Urhobo votes and organisation alone, he will fail (even if he won).

The truth of the matter is that cooperation works best in Delta state, not size of ethnic group.
this is what I have been waiting for you to say. So for ibori, Uduaghan etc to win, they need igbos abi

brother see u trying to play smart

how did u come to such conclusion. which means they support corrupt politicians

moreover are you Igbo? or does edwin clark of ijaw needs igbos before he can rule or declear ijaw the majority in niger/delta
Re: Urhobo Youths & Former Student Leaders Threaten To Make Delta State Ungovernable by UYCO: 11:01am On Aug 23, 2011
so it is better to remain unemployed than to get a pipeline security job of 120,000 monthly. The interesting thing is that the boys planning to go on rampage are Uduaghan's die hard loyalist who are tired of failed promises of job creation by the governor they supported to win election.

Let me quote a paragraph from their statement in a local paper here.

Let it be said that a common feature runs through the Middle East revolution, the latest United Kingdom riots, down to the spate of bombs and kidnapping in Nigeria, is a simmering social discontent fueled by massive youth unemployment and/or under employment[b][/b]

(1) (Reply)

Hausa's Are The Least Corrupt In Nigeria / . / Boko Haram Claims Responsibility For Kano Attacks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.