Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,011 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:44 AM

What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) (13795 Views)

The Origin of Na.kedness / "What Is The Origin Of The Catholic Church?" / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 4:49pm On Aug 25, 2011
Just quote where it says the origin of RNA! Simple! embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by kandiikane(m): 4:51pm On Aug 25, 2011
Read it all for you to understand it all. . smiley
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:02pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mrofficial(m): 5:08pm On Aug 25, 2011
Ahhhhhhhhhhhm! These atheists self, na wa for una.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2011
@Kandiikane!
Just Quote! undecided Make it up if you have to! grin
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by BABE3: 5:13pm On Aug 25, 2011
omo_to_dun:

The OP is just looking for trouble. He asks, "what is the origin of life?",  then if an atheist says he doesn't know, the OP then mocks him. If you have a cure for our ignorance, please share. But don't resort to faith or an imaginary absentee father in the sky. We need something tangible.

OTD, are you an atheist?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by kandiikane(m): 5:14pm On Aug 25, 2011

Quote what? I have told you to read the whole entire article and you are  telling me to make "what" up?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:16pm On Aug 25, 2011
^^^ U know what a mean!
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mantraa: 5:21pm On Aug 25, 2011
"A fundamental but elusive step in the early evolution of life on Earth has been replicated in a laboratory.

Researchers synthesized the basic ingredients of RNA, a molecule from which the simplest self-replicating structures are made. Until now, they couldn’t explain how these ingredients might have formed.

“It’s like molecular choreography, where the molecules choreograph their own behavior,” said organic chemist John Sutherland of the University of Manchester, co-author of a study in Nature Wednesday.

RNA is now found in living cells, where it carries information between genes and protein-manufacturing cellular components. Scientists think RNA existed early in Earth’s history, providing a necessary intermediate platform between pre-biotic chemicals and DNA, its double-stranded, more-stable descendant.

However, though researchers have been able to show how RNA’s component molecules, called ribonucleotides, could assemble into RNA, their many attempts to synthesize these ribonucleotides have failed. No matter how they combined the ingredients — a sugar, a phosphate, and one of four different nitrogenous molecules, or nucleobases — ribonucleotides just wouldn’t form.

Sutherland’s team took a different approach in what Harvard molecular biologist Jack Szostak called a “synthetic tour de force” in an accompanying commentary in Nature.

“By changing the way we mix the ingredients together, we managed to make ribonucleotides,” said Sutherland. “The chemistry works very effectively from simple precursors, and the conditions required are not distinct from what one might imagine took place on the early Earth.”

Like other would-be nucleotide synthesizers, Sutherland’s team included phosphate in their mix, but rather than adding it to sugars and nucleobases, they started with an array of even simpler molecules that were probably also in Earth’s primordial ooze.

They mixed the molecules in water, heated the solution, then allowed it to evaporate, leaving behind a residue of hybrid, half-sugar, half-nucleobase molecules. To this residue they again added water, heated it, allowed it evaporate, and then irradiated it.

At each stage of the cycle, the resulting molecules were more complex. At the final stage, Sutherland’s team added phosphate. “Remarkably, it transformed into the ribonucleotide!” said Sutherland.

According to Sutherland, these laboratory conditions resembled those of the life-originating “warm little pond” hypothesized by Charles Darwin if the pond “evaporated, got heated, and then it rained and the sun shone.”

Such conditions are plausible, and Szostak imagined the ongoing cycle of evaporation, heating and condensation providing “a kind of organic snow which could accumulate as a reservoir of material ready for the next step in RNA synthesis.”

Intriguingly, the precursor molecules used by Sutherland’s team have been identified in interstellar dust clouds and on meteorites.

“Ribonucleotides are simply an expression of the fundamental principles of organic chemistry,” said Sutherland. “They’re doing it unwittingly. The instructions for them to do it are inherent in the structure of the precursor materials. And if they can self-assemble so easily, perhaps they shouldn’t be viewed as complicated.”
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by manmustwac(m): 5:29pm On Aug 25, 2011
Sexkillz just letting u know that am thinking of locking this topic.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 25, 2011
By changing the way we mix the ingredients together, we managed to make ribonucleotides,” said Sutherland. “The chemistry works very effectively from simple precursors, and the conditions required are not distinct from what one might imagine took place on the early Earth.”

“Ribonucleotides are simply an expression of the fundamental principles of organic chemistry,” said Sutherland. “They’re doing it unwittingly. The instructions for them to do it are inherent in the structure of the[b] precursor materials.[/b] And if they can self-assemble so easily, perhaps they shouldn’t be viewed as complicated.”

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

THEY MIXED WHAT? INGREDIENTS? INGREDIENTS MADE FROM WHAT? WHERE DID THE INGREDIENTS COME FROM IN THE ORIGINAL SPARK?
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:39pm On Aug 25, 2011
manmustwac:

Sexkillz just letting u know that am thinking of locking this topic.
@Manmustwac!
If you are thinking o locking this THREAD, YOU should LOCK THIS ONE TOO***no offense***
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-744294.0.html
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by mantraa: 5:51pm On Aug 25, 2011
THEY MIXED WHAT? INGREDIENTS? INGREDIENTS MADE FROM WHAT? WHERE DID THE INGREDIENTS COME FROM IN THE ORIGINAL SPARK?

The ingredients used are naturally occuring molecules in the universe of which the earth is a natural part of and made of.

"Intriguingly, the precursor molecules used by Sutherland’s team have been identified in interstellar dust clouds and on meteorites."
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 25, 2011
^^^Are they LIVING MOLECULES? Or DEAD ONES? If they are LIVING MOLECULES, How did they come ALIVE? If they are DEAD MOLECULES, can LIFE COME FROM DEAD THINGS? Or DID SOMEONE ACTUALLY CREATE THEM?
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by BABE3: 6:03pm On Aug 25, 2011
omo_to_dun:

My question thus is this, why is the creation story that you believe more valid than others?

Good question fam. That's what our beliefs and faiths are all about (simply put).

Even as a theist, the story of creation will forever be confusing to me, because according to my bible, there are two fundamental stories. It's either both of them are false, one of them is, or the people that "composed" that part of the bible are just utterly confused. All I believe and know is that God created our existence and everything encompassing it. I don't know how he did it.

You're an atheist?! You're messing with my head.  

About the creation myths: Yh, the stories always seem like Aesop's fables (Fabu grin) to me.  However, like I said earlier  on this thread, my/our faith is beyond these silly myths.  
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by kandiikane(m): 6:05pm On Aug 25, 2011
sexkillz:

^^^Are they LIVING MOLECULES? Or DEAD ONES? If they are LIVING MOLECULES, How did they come ALIVE? If they are DEAD MOLECULES, can LIFE COME FROM DEAD THINGS? Or DID SOMEONE ACTUALLY CREATE THEM?
shocked shocked shocked
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Aug 25, 2011
HELLFIRE DOES NOT EXIST! That's a FABLE! Open A THREAD ON THAT LETS RUN THINGZ! wink wink DONT DERAIL THIS! angry
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:27pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Purist(m): 6:31pm On Aug 25, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
Boy, abeg shut up and go sit in a corner. I was replying BABE, not you. Instead of constantly screaming, please change your font and use coherent statements to pass your points across. And please, try to reduce your use of smileys: they get in the way of smoothly assimilating the points you are trying to convey. All you have been doing on this thread is [i]b[/i]itch, scream, and use one liners. Take a page out of BABE's book and use your head to write though provoking statements, not to parade childish behaviors.

GBAM! I couldn't have said this any better. Most annoying of all is that he thinks he is making any sense.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 25, 2011
Errm! omo to dun

You carry ya wahala and posted on this thread, you also decided to derail the thread by turning it to a chat room! If you wanna talk with babe pls go to BABE's Corner and do so! As long as i opened this THREAD, i have ALL RIGHTS to reply any comment. . . . . NOW BUG OFF! undecided
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by dare2think: 6:39pm On Aug 25, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
@BABE
I do read the Bible very very well. It would be foolish of me to argue about a book that I haven't read. I do engage in logical theological arguments , for example, "Is God omniscient? Does Hell exist?", using verses from the Bible. It is a healthy exercise. However, I cannot overlook the contradictions in the Bible. Faith is not enough for me. Even Christians don't agree on everything. My Christians friend always exhort me not to isolate a particular verse in the Bible, but to look at the overall arc, in order words, the big picture. That statement always angers me because I do not read the Bible simply just to prove others wrong. I read it with an open mind. But when I read about a God allowing His people to enjoy slavery in Egypt for 400 years or so while He is chilling in heaven with His minions, that doesn't go down well with me. That also bothers me: God has a preference. Tufiakwa. I don't wanna serve a biased God. Mba. A God who hated Esau before he was even born. Lailai. Sorry for going off on a tangent.

You are one of the few 'Honest' Christians I have come across. I too cannot overcome the contradictions in the bible, and I always seem to be the odd guy whan I debate with some of my friends who simply wants to ignore reason in favour of mysticism. I have a learnt something though, we all reason differently and no one knows it all.  But we have to admit, the God described in the bible was quite harsh and prefrential. (I have always wondered, where the Egytians not his children also? coz he dealth with them pretty bad. What makes the Isrealites more special than other people described in the bible? iS HE NOT THE GOD OF ALL? cREATOR OF ALL?)

So many questions dude.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 25, 2011
mantraa:

"A fundamental but elusive step in the early evolution of life on Earth has been replicated in a laboratory.

The fact that this claim isnt being paraded by any serious scientist says a lot about its validity.

mantraa:

Researchers synthesized the basic ingredients of RNA, a molecule from which the simplest self-replicating structures are made. Until now, they couldn’t explain how these ingredients might have formed.

synthesizing the "basic ingredients" is not enough, how do those ingredients combine to form an RNA chain?

mantraa:

It’s like molecular choreography, where the molecules choreograph their own behavior,” said organic chemist John Sutherland of the University of Manchester, co-author of a study in Nature Wednesday.

More like interference.

mantraa:

RNA is now found in living cells, where it carries information between genes and protein-manufacturing cellular components. Scientists think RNA existed early in Earth’s history, providing a necessary intermediate platform between pre-biotic chemicals and DNA, its double-stranded, more-stable descendant.

they once "thought" proteins were the key until all their early experiments fell apart.

mantraa:

However, though researchers have been able to show how RNA’s component molecules, called ribonucleotides, could assemble into RNA, their many attempts to synthesize these ribonucleotides have failed. No matter how they combined the ingredients — a sugar, a phosphate, and one of four different nitrogenous molecules, or nucleobases — ribonucleotides just wouldn’t form.

i.e. in-silico? That doesnt count.

mantraa:

Sutherland’s team took a different approach in what Harvard molecular biologist Jack Szostak called a “synthetic tour de force” in an accompanying commentary in Nature.

By changing the way we mix the ingredients together, we managed to make ribonucleotides,” said Sutherland. “The chemistry works very effectively from simple precursors, and the conditions required are not distinct from what one might imagine took place on the early Earth.”

Note the key here . . . its all about manipulating science to force a predetermined outcome.

mantraa:

Like other would-be nucleotide synthesizers, Sutherland’s team included phosphate in their mix, but rather than adding it to sugars and nucleobases, they started with an array of even simpler molecules that were probably also in Earth’s primordial ooze.

They mixed the molecules in water, heated the solution, then allowed it to evaporate, leaving behind a residue of hybrid, half-sugar, half-nucleobase molecules. To this residue they again added water, heated it, allowed it evaporate, and then irradiated it.

At each stage of the cycle, the resulting molecules were more complex. At the final stage, Sutherland’s team added phosphate. “Remarkably, it transformed into the ribonucleotide!” said Sutherland.

Now here is where things become laughable . . . if indeed Sutherland's experiment is right, it means phosphate did NOT EXIST for millions of years while the basic components of RNA were already formed and lying around waiting patiently for phosphates?

Considering the FACT that phosphate must have been an initial part of the primordial soup, Sutherland's experiment is a very strong argument for why RNA would not spontaneously form in nature and still does not today. Because as long as phosphate was a starting material, you had no RNA!
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 25, 2011
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by BABE3: 6:46pm On Aug 25, 2011
OTD---

LMAO-- You're a trip. You're making me laugh at blasphemous statements. That ain't right.

At what your friend said: I do agree with him/her. A good number of unserious christians (especially pastors and "men of God"wink, only extract the parts that suit them and their problems, or the parts they want to hear. Most atheists have more knowledge of the bible than some so called christian sef.

I remember arguing with you about Underrated and Overrated characters in the bible. Mr. Samson for one vexes me.;  people talk about him like he's all that; he was a "good" guy. This dude was an undisputed jerk!  

I don't want to argue with you about you saying God is biased. Coz, yes to some extent, he is. He chose Israelites. He chose Abraham. Etc. However, who am I to question his choices though.?  That's why he's God. Roger!
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 6:52pm On Aug 25, 2011
BABE!:

LMAO-- You're a trip. You're making me laugh at blasphemous statements. That ain't right.

At what your friend said: I do agree with him/her. A good number of unserious christians (especially pastors and "men of God"wink, only extract the parts that suit them and their problems, or the parts they want to hear. Most atheists have more knowledge of the bible than some so called christian sef.

That's a misinformed statement. If you say atheists have a ready list of bible "contradictions" to spew out then you might be right.

BABE!:

I remember arguing with you about[b] Underrated and Overrated characters in the bible. Mr. Samson for one vexes me.;  people talk about him like he's all that; he was a "good" guy. This dude was an undisputed jerk![/b]  

That's probably because many of you have no idea that the bible is a lot more than a mere story book filled with characters to like or dislike. It simply uses these characters to tell a story - the one story of redemption. In Samson's case . . . it tells 3 important lessons:

1. Being "called" does not mean the liberty to stray or sin

2. There is always a chance for repentance

3. Forgiveness is no guarantee you will not face the consequences of your own actions

BABE!:

I don't want to argue with you about you saying God is biased. Coz, yes to some extent, he is. He chose Israelites. He chose Abraham. Etc. However, who am I to question his choices though.?  That's why he's God. Roger!

and exactly WHY did God make those choices? the answer is there in the bible, you should dig deeper and find it.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by BABE3: 6:55pm On Aug 25, 2011
Mr. killz take chill Pills na. You're "acting" asif this is Government work.

Plus, what's exciting you? How am I deraling the thread? Am I talking about Fashola or what?  Common Park well jo!

Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by BABE3: 7:19pm On Aug 25, 2011
Mr. David.

At quote 1: Me saying they have a knowledge of the bible doesn't mean I'm saying they understand it the way christians do. And trust me, for anyone to know that the bible is full of contradiction, means they know something about it. A good number of christians still argue that there are no contradictions in the bible. Or rather, they say contradictions are "continuation" of stories. I'm like "Really?"

At quote 2: Errrrm, I do understand that the biblical stories are to tell lessons. If I can't comprehend that, then why am I a christian Damnit?! (lol).
However, it's still inevitable that Mr. samson, an overrated character, is very much one of many overrated fellows in the bible.

At quote 3: Who's talking about "why he made the choices"? Of course he chose them for a reason. Duh! I'm talking about why he decided to choose those chracters. Why them? Why not someone else? And those are fo[i]o[/i]lish questions sef. Read the couple of sentences I typed after the ones you highlighted, to get a meaningful comprehension of my point.
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Enigma(m): 7:49pm On Aug 25, 2011
davidylan:

Now lets not try to be evasive, ignorant and deceitful all at the same time . . . .

Kai David, na wa oh; I pick another one up today! Only recently I used one of your old ones about providing God's address as proof of his existence! grin
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by HAIRCRAFT: 8:17pm On Aug 25, 2011
this thread is quite interesting, I am no atheist neither do i belong to any religion, but bet me I sincerely appreciate these atheist guys. their level of sound mind only goes a long way to show how deep they have searched. I think it all boils down to knowing thyself. you are all that matters and if you can discover that power of the 'you', of the 'I', all quarrels will be settled. I truly wish to get acquainted with any of my atheist friends here especially hirika
Re: What Is The Origin Of Life? (Atheists) by Nobody: 8:50pm On Aug 25, 2011
HAIRCRAFT:

this thread is quite interesting, I am no atheist neither do i belong to any religion, but bet me I sincerely appreciate these atheist guys. their level of sound mind only goes a long way to show how deep they have searched. I think it all boils down to knowing thyself. you are all that matters and if you can discover that power of the 'you', of the 'I', all quarrels will be settled. I truly wish to get acquainted with any of my atheist friends here especially hirika

you are too easily carried away by verbose words. You are too easily swayed by copy-paste jobs from other sites. When i read from the atheists i don't see "how deep they have searched" or a "level of sound mind", i only see a lot of obfuscation, ignorance cloaked with highfalutin jargon (that impresses the ignorant) and insults of course.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Do Christians Need To Confess Adultery To Their Partners? / Who Was The Disciple Whom Jesus Loved? / The Haunted House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.