Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English (9339 Views)

2016 Nigerian Police Recruitment Form - All Required Documents - A Must Read! / Is 30k Salary Good For A Second Class Upper Student(b.sc) / Any Hope For Graduates With 2nd Class Lower? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by gulfer: 2:44pm On Aug 25, 2011
This is what you get from the sattelite campuses that are churning out half-baked graduates. I work in industrial security and have seen countless managers with worse English communication skills than you get in Punjab. We have listened to many national leaders (senators, reps, governors down to LG bosses) go on air to disgrace our educational system with unpardonable errors in written and spoken english. This is commendable from Alkali and he needs to raise the bar also for those already in service. If you have ever had to obtain a police report, you must surely understand what i am driving at.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by Kx: 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2011
Is good command of english language trully a must have by the NPF?

[size=15pt]Park well, come down, roger, where ur particulars, inner light etc?[/size]
Are those what we need good english for?
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by Stemkay: 2:50pm On Aug 25, 2011
Interview tension? Wat knd of stupid tension is dat? Its either d guy is using defaced certificate or d Cp hmself is a liar. Besides, hw many of these top force officials cld spk correct n acceptable english?
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by pinkrex(m): 2:52pm On Aug 25, 2011
chamber2:

Nigerians are always quick to jump into conclusion. This is supposed to be an interview where even a well trained 1st class material is likely to fumble. I could remember my first interview experience. If the interviewer had asked me my name on that day i would have fumbled not to talk of spelling ENCOUNTER.

So, it could probably be interview tension. But, one cannot conclude until further investigation or insight is provided

What now makes you the 'BEST' for the job undecided undecided undecided
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by oknee: 2:56pm On Aug 25, 2011
Na wah ooooooo grin
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 3:03pm On Aug 25, 2011
What now makes you the 'BEST' for the job

Yeah, i lacked the confidence but NOT the knowledge. Even the interviewer observed i was only nervous. That was immediately after graduation.Subsequently, i gained confidence and the result was awesome grin

My point is, the guy may have been nervous and that contributed to his inability to speak coherently.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by pinkrex(m): 3:11pm On Aug 25, 2011
chamber2:

Yeah, i lacked the confidence but NOT the knowledge. Even the interviewer observed i was only nervous. That was immediately after graduation.Subsequently, i gained confidence and the result was awesome grin

My point is, the guy may have been nervous and that contributed to his inability to speak coherently.

Are you saying there are no exceptions? Thats why its called the 'best', Some people in 4 or 3oo level in some uni's can perform more than managers. Forget that thing jare, you are just making excuses for yourself and that guy cos uv been a victim of such circumstance before tongue tongue
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 3:13pm On Aug 25, 2011
Abeg leave mata.What kind of interview fright would affect you so much,you can't even express yourself properly?

Check out this thread and see to yourself people's interview experiences, especially the freshers;

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-129847.0.html
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by pepperoni(f): 3:14pm On Aug 25, 2011
#alakwa :p embarassed embarassed embarassed :-x :-x cry cry cry cry
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by cold(m): 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2011
chamber2:

Check out this thread and see to yourself people's interview experiences, especially the freshers;
See for yourself.Now I understand
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 3:28pm On Aug 25, 2011
Are you saying there are no exceptions? Thats why its called the 'best',  Some people in 4 or 3oo level in some uni's can perform more than managers. Forget that thing jare, you are just making excuses for yourself and that guy cos uv been a victim of such circumstance before

If you read my initial comment very well you would observe that i only tried to ''look at'' the issue from various perspectives. I just imagined what could have possibly led a 2.1 English language graduate to make such unpardonable grammatical error. In order not to jump into conclusion like most people here did, i shared personal experience.Even in my own case i still got the job because the interviewer was convinced that i was suitable for the position. So, she invited me for another chat where i performed beyond her expectations.

You can as well check out this thread to see more of what people experience during interviews, especially freshers;

Quite agreed, there are horrible Nigerian graduates, irrespective of the grade they graduated with. But that is not enough reason to disparage those who worked hard and merited whatever grade they were awarded.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 3:29pm On Aug 25, 2011

You are an Id.ot
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by brainpulse: 3:32pm On Aug 25, 2011
It is believed that as a 2.1 candidate you are well baked in at-least some part of human sphere. so you don't have any excuse to deliver below expectation. You should be able to defend the certificate you laboured for any time or day.
I had one colleague during my undergraduate years that could not construct a sentence up till tomorrow. He graduated with 2.1, it was during the convocation day we knew that his uncle was our Examination Officer.
I am telling you the Gospel truth.  He couldn't secure a Job for years, but he is now a GA in is uncle department.
when i got to know about that i felt cheated but i also knew then that nemesis will always sing her song.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by okadaman2: 3:37pm On Aug 25, 2011
cold:

^
Bro, The first poster on that thread must not be allowed access to anywhere near school children.

@Topic, if I were to conduct recruitment for the NPF, I will place more emphasis on your ability to speak local languages in your area of jurisdiction or command.

Criminals in Nigeria don't care about good English, if you can't speak the local language or understand the intricacies of pidgin English you will probably fail to be effective as a street cop in Nigeria.

The police should not bury their head in the sand by assuming that Lagos is London. Local languages rule on Nigerian streets, local street police need to understand those languages more than English.

I'll excuse flawless English and emphasize honesty, discipline, fitness, professionalism, logical reasoning, attention to detail e.t.c

Wetin concern agbero with overload?  undecided
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by pinkrex(m): 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2011
chamber2:

If you read my initial comment very well you would observe that i only tried to ''look at'' the issue from various perspectives. I just imagined what could have possibly led a 2.1 English language graduate to make such unpardonable grammatical error. In order not to jump into conclusion like most people here did, i shared personal experience.Even in my own case i still got the job because the interviewer was convinced that i was suitable for the position. So, she invited me for another chat where i performed beyond her expectations.

You can as well check out this thread to see more of what people experience during interviews, especially freshers;

Quite agreed, there are horrible Nigerian graduates, irrespective of the grade they graduated with. But that is not enough reason to disparage those who worked hard and merited whatever grade they were awarded.

You weren't the best for that job shekina! Maybe you had a strong connection in that company or your father owns it angry angry

Interviews are meant to test your competence and confidence and not nervousness. Maybe of all the people that were interviewed on that day, you were just the best amongst the non-best.

If you read my first post you could see that i mentioned 'paper qualification'. People pay for results this days so why should 2.1 or 2.2 be anything undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2011
okada_man

You seem to be the ONLY sensible person here. One nihilist was even busy correcting my sentence without looking up the meaning of the word in his dictionary, that's if he has one.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 3:52pm On Aug 25, 2011
You weren't the best for that job shekina! Maybe you had a strong connection in that company or your father owns it

Na you talk am. grin grin
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by Beaf1: 3:58pm On Aug 25, 2011
chamber2:

You are an Id.ot

If cold is an id.iot then you are idi.oooooooooot
A simple correction from a brother and you are already smocking!

@cold
I was tempted to correct especially the 'consented' guy but i rather smh.

example:
gulfer spelled satellite as sattelite
another guy up there spelled liar as lair
another one said 'i no' instead of i know etc.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2011
Beaf

I won't join words with you because you are one of the few guys i regard in the forum.

Please tell me, how is this a wrong expression;

to yourself : …be able to use, occupy, or enjoy something without having to share it with anyone else…

I think that goes well, taking into consideration the context in which the word was used.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by pinkrex(m): 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2011
chamber2:

Beaf

I won't join words with you because you are one of the few guys i regard in the forum.

Please tell me, how is this a wrong expression;

to yourself : …be able to use, occupy, or enjoy something without having to share it with anyone else…

I think that goes well, taking into consideration the context in which the word was used.

He was just looking for attention ni, Some ITK dey back fire grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by cold(m): 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2011
Wow shocked!I didn't realise a simple correction could land one in serious trouble.See as my body dey (((shake))) grin
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2011
Cold

You never intended to correct me, you only wanted to ridicule me. In fact, there was nothing to correct.

I accept well intended corrections, after all, no one is above making mistakes.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by cold(m): 4:46pm On Aug 25, 2011
^^Now why would I want to ridicule you? To what purpose?I don't even know you.What you just exhibited is a common trait with Nigerians.When you try to correct them they simply fly into a fit; 'do you think you're better than me?' 'look at this small boy,you want to teach me my job?' 'you have no respect for your elders abi'. Reh,reh,reh,bla,bla,bla.So no surprises there
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by pinkrex(m): 4:52pm On Aug 25, 2011
cold:

^^Now why would I want to ridicule you? To what purpose?I don't even know you.What you just exhibited is a common trait with Nigerians.When you try to correct them they simply fly into a fit; 'do you think you're better than me?' 'look at this small boy,you want to teach me my job?' 'you have no respect for your elders abi'. Reh,reh,reh,bla,bla,bla.So no surprises there

What job?
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by chamber2(m): 5:07pm On Aug 25, 2011

So, what were you correcting? You only wanted to use my sentence as a ''case in hand'' to further prove your points. As i said before, i am not above making mistakes (not silly ones though), and would always welcome well intended corrections.

If you checkout my comments here on NL, you would observe that I am one of the few guys who don't resort to insults and name calling as a way to drive home their points. Even while making corrections i try as much as possible not to sound offensive.I think that is a good attribute we should all try to exhibit, not the showmanship that is evident here.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by begwong: 5:46pm On Aug 25, 2011
na my classmate o! he graduated with a 3rd class.he came and ^borrowed^ my credentials after promising he can defend it since na olopa job. see am now!
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by Rastamann: 6:44pm On Aug 25, 2011
Many Students read to pass exams only and not to understand what is being taught and read.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by phemi01(m): 8:21pm On Aug 25, 2011
It might be true but then we've only heard from the Commissioner of Police in-charge of Lagos State command and we know the men of the Nigerian police force for their dishonest ways. None of you were there with them. Probably the guy made one or two mistakes and the Cp concluded he couldn't speak, How many policemen can speak good English in Nigeria?
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by sampeter(m): 8:59pm On Aug 25, 2011
grin[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] there is no two ways, deceit cannot go undetected for ever. Let d school be revealed, and let investigationed be carried out to establish what d pieces.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by sampeter(m): 9:00pm On Aug 25, 2011
grin[/font] there is no two ways, deceit cannot go undetected for ever. Let d school be revealed, and let investigation be carried out to establish what d pieces. grin[font=Lucida Sans Unicode] there is no two ways, deceit cannot go undetected for ever. Let d school be revealed, and let investigation be carried out to establish what d pieces.
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by whyMMM: 10:01pm On Aug 25, 2011
angry
Re: Police Recruitment: 2nd Class Upper Holder Disqualified For Speaking Bad English by Blakjewelry(m): 12:00am On Aug 26, 2011
men, for one it could be first time interview tension. But on a second thought, i think the unis are to be blame.
I remember my pre-science days in esut, after the program i was among those with the highest scores they refuse giving us admission because we refuse to sort and also because we are not from the S.E. While giving admission to sorters and peeps from the S.E with very low score

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Federal Govt Rush Hour Recruitment(exposed) / How Much Money Can Solve Your Current Problem? / Top 4 Ways To Get A Job Through Internship In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.