Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,068 members, 7,818,182 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya (1547 Views)

EFCC Petitioned Over Jonathan Illegal N67.2billion Withdrawal From CBN-sahara / TAN Leader, Ifeanyi Ubah, Weeps Over Jonathan's Loss / Obiano Sacks Aide Over Jonathan’s Re-Election Jingle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by hollandis(f): 9:38am On Aug 26, 2011
The ill-adviced comment from jonathan drew condemnation in south africa recently.Already sharp criticsm is coming from the UN
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Greenpro: 9:47am On Aug 26, 2011
let have the link of this information. thanks
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by wesley80(m): 10:10am On Aug 26, 2011
What are you yapping? In whose opinion is the endorsement 'ill advised'? Yours? Chinas? Russias? South Africas? Who gives a flying fork what they think, would you rather Nigeria sat back and played second fiddle to its UN permanent security council seat rival? Do you even know the issues at stake here? The entire AU put together are yet to spend up to half what Nigeria alone has spent on peace keeping and you expect us to be taking orders from them? South Africa has been dragging her feet on every issue from Ivory Coast to Zimbabwe to Libya like confused Russia would do and you expect Nigeria to fall in line with such gutless diplomatic tactic? And to think you had the nerves to call Gej irresponsible!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by KnowAll(m): 10:26am On Aug 26, 2011
S.A. better join the bandwagon of African countries that have recognise the new Goverment in Libya. Bukina Faso and Chad declare their willingness to work with the new administration in Libya Yesterday, so S.A. might soon be left in the cooler.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Gbawe: 10:44am On Aug 26, 2011
wesley80:

What are you yapping? In whose opinion is the endorsement 'ill advised'? Yours? Chinas? Russias? South Africas? Who gives a flying fork what they think, would you rather Nigeria sat back and played second fiddle to its UN permanent security council seat rival? Do you even know the issues at stake here? The entire AU put together are yet to spend up to half what Nigeria alone has spent on peace keeping and you expect us to be taking orders from them? South Africa has been dragging her feet on every issue from Ivory Coast to Zimbabwe to Libya like confused Russia would do and you expect Nigeria to fall in line with such gutless diplomatic tactic? And to think you had the nerves to call Gej irresponsible!

I have to agree with you here. South Africa should cure itself of the schizophrenia that makes it act as a Nation , with contradictory opinions, at odds with common sense from an African perspective.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by hollandis(f): 11:13am On Aug 26, 2011
it seems you guys cant read,was that my opinion?Anyway UN is condemning the irresponsible US backed rebels
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by wesley80(m): 11:24am On Aug 26, 2011
^^^ And was that what you posted? Perhaps someone is having trouble comprehending her own posts!
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Gbawe: 11:37am On Aug 26, 2011
hollandis:

it seems you guys cant read,was that my opinion?Anyway UN is condemning the irresponsible US backed rebels

I don't think GEJ's comment is "ill-adviced" as you posit. Nigeria must still retain the rights , as a sovereign Nation, to articulate its foreign policies independently . The Ghadaffi regime is 40 years old. The extended Ghadaffi family is probably worth over £60 billion !!!!! Some of us know Libya first hand also !! With so much stupendous wealth in the hands of Ghadaffi it is amazing that the main Airport in Tripoli is a total shame and eyesore with toilets too disgusting to use !!

I side with GEJ on this one . The model of certain families and self-appointed aristocrats holding entire nations to ransom , at the expense of merit, for decades, is now completely discredited. There is no reasonable argument for an unrelenting dictator , like Ghadaffi,  to continue in power indefinately accumulating the sort of hidden wealth that makes him, by far, the richest man in the world!!!
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by dankol: 12:10pm On Aug 26, 2011
I beg ur pardon poster. Tink b4 u react. Nigeria is a sovereign state nd does nt need an AU or S.A to mak diplomatic moves.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by hollandis(f): 1:51pm On Aug 26, 2011
Nigeria should just be a neutral country and stop making annoying statement
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by houvest: 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2011
Nigeria is a leader in Africa and must not seat on the fence. Go Ghadafi . Just go.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by hollandis(f): 2:27pm On Aug 26, 2011
Ghadaffi is doing his people well.Jonathan cant even provide 24hrs light.Who is fooling who?
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by OmoTier1(m): 2:30pm On Aug 26, 2011
Another reckless comment and unrewarding move by GEJ's government. What is happening in Libya is nothing but a show of shame by the UK, France, Italy and the US and it best serves Nigeria to play her international politics neutral-neutral.

If Nigeria wants her voice to be heard, then the AU is the right avenue for doing so.

SA used same AU strategy to block the would be looting of Libya's $1.5bn by the UK and France following the US motion at the UN.

SA knows what is happening in Libya and why giving the rebels a recognition at this stage is very pre-mature! Or is GEJ not aware that by backing a rebel group, every atrocity committed by the rebels is by extrnsion hinged on those that are backing them? What exact information does GEJ have about the rebels and thier plans? How different are they from Quaddafi? As we are currently witnessing, there appears not to be much - I might be wrong but ask the UN nation human right watch dog what they think about the rebels.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by seanet02: 2:30pm On Aug 26, 2011
Gbawe:

I don't think GEJ's comment is "ill-adviced" as you posit. Nigeria must still retain the rights , as a sovereign Nation, to articulate its foreign policies independently . The Ghadaffi regime is 40 years old. The extended Ghadaffi family is probably worth over £60 billion !!!!! Some of us know Libya first hand also !! With so much stupendous wealth in the hands of Ghadaffi it is amazing that the main Airport in Tripoli is a total shame and eyesore with toilets too disgusting to use !!

I side with GEJ on this one . The model of certain families and self-appointed aristocrats holding entire nations to ransom , at the expense of merit, for decades, is now completely discredited. There is no reasonable argument for an unrelenting dictator , like Ghadaffi,  to continue in power indefinately accumulating the sort of hidden wealth that makes him, by far, the richest man in the world!!!
me i dey Gadafi side for this one, Imagine me enjoying 24 hours each time i dey naija, Just Imagine weting i go come do for oko eru?
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Chyz2: 2:33pm On Aug 26, 2011
S.A. recently has been fighting for African rights again neo-colonialism and you idiotts are here condeming them.Hahah you all are funny and stuck in the slave mentality.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by kabba7(m): 3:33pm On Aug 26, 2011
JONATHAN got it Wrong there are too many Nigerians in the libya military. Tripoly they could be labeled enemies.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by PointB: 4:41pm On Aug 26, 2011
hollandis:

No my dear.
A lot of what has passed under the bridge, only the clueless will maintain neutrality; it's time to take a stand. Nigeria is on the right path here. I support!
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by PointB: 4:47pm On Aug 26, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Another reckless comment and unrewarding move by GEJ's government. What is happening in Libya is nothing but a show of shame by the UK, France, Italy and the US and it best serves Nigeria to play her international politics neutral-neutral.

If Nigeria wants her voice to be heard, then the AU is the right avenue for doing so.

SA used same AU strategy to block the would be looting of Libya's $1.5bn by the UK and France following the US motion at the UN.

SA knows what is happening in Libya and why giving the rebels a recognition at this stage is very pre-mature! Or is GEJ not aware that by backing a rebel group, every atrocity committed by the rebels is by extrnsion hinged on those that are backing them? What exact information does GEJ have about the rebels and thier plans? How different are they from Quaddafi? As we are currently witnessing, there appears not to be much - I might be wrong but ask the UN nation human right watch dog what they think about the rebels.

Who dash monkey banana? SA block wetin?

United Nations has agreed to release funds $ 1.5 billion to recover the Libyan assets and the action on taking for humanitarian needs in Libya. Fights are going in Tripoli but moreover places in control of rebels, Gun fights erupted in the city of Abu Salim district and some of few remaining Goddaffi’s area only is conrolled by Libyan forces in the capital.

http://www.daybreakingnews.com/post/United-nations-agree-to-release-funds$15-billion-to-Libya.aspx

SA is messing up diplomatically these days; it's a sign of waning influence. Zuma is not particularly likeable at any rate!
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by sowetto(m): 6:11pm On Aug 26, 2011
nigeria got it right here. the Gadaffi govt had lost popular support in his country even before NATO intervention. I dont what S A stands to gain by supporting Gaddaffi but as for Nigeria we have nothing to gain. There is nothing like colonialism here because any day the nigerian govt orders the army to kill us, then i ll be more than happy for NATO to intervene as well. nigeria stands in a better position than S A to dictate AU policies. just look at the way they hanled the problem in zimbabwe, if SA were allowed to mediate in cote divoire gbagbo will still be president and ouatara the prime minster rubbish.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Chyz2: 6:24pm On Aug 26, 2011
sowetto:

nigeria got it right here. the Gadaffi govt had lost popular support in his country even before NATO intervention. I dont what S A stands to gain by supporting Gaddaffi but as for Nigeria we have nothing to gain. There is nothing like colonialism here because any day the nigerian govt orders the army to kill us, then i ll be more than happy for NATO to intervene as well. nigeria stands in a better position than S A to dictate AU policies. just look at the way they hanled the problem in zimbabwe, if SA were allowed to mediate in cote divoire gbagbo will still be president and ouatara the prime minster rubbish.

Stop telling lies. The majority of Libya supported Gadaffi. It was the tribe in the oil-producing area of Benghazi that were against him because of pretty much the same reason as MEND were against the government at one point. Stop paying attention to all this false propaganda on pro-western television.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by naijaking1: 6:34pm On Aug 26, 2011
hollandis:

hollandis:

Ghadaffi is doing his people well.Jonathan cant even provide 24hrs light.Who is fooling who?

Hatred towards GEJ causes jaundice and myopia, so much so that you can't even see that no country is absolutely "neutral" in this World. Surprised you never complained about lack of power when northerners were in Aso Rock embarassed
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by tpia5: 7:05pm On Aug 26, 2011
houvest:

Nigeria is a leader in Africa and must not seat on the fence. Go Ghadafi . Just go.

are you drunk or something?
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by jmaine: 8:06pm On Aug 26, 2011
So we need the express permission of South Africa to take a stand on salient foreign issues . . . .useless thinking . . . .
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Beaf: 8:06pm On Aug 26, 2011
The more SA makes silly statements, the more 9ja gains. GEJ has roundly defeated Zuma in every diplomatic round in Africa; each time they make a declaration only for Nigeria to counter and then they fall in line like kids, its like a film show! grin
Watch what happens in the next few days when history repeats.
Nigeria has become the de facto African voice to look to.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by naijaking1: 8:20pm On Aug 26, 2011
Zuma and his SA goverment are hopelessly compromised on Gaddafi, personally and institutionally. It's bad enough that they have an influence in AU, but it's even worse that they don't understand how wrong their policy towards Africa has been for a long time now. Maybe, Zuma wants to rule for 40 years like Gaddafi shocked
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by nduchucks: 8:49pm On Aug 26, 2011
Love him or hate him, but Gaddafi shunned the Arabs and associated with the African continent while the going was good. He wanted to build a better Africa for us and wanted to have nothing to do with Al Quaeda. This is one of the reasons why the Arab leaugue took the unprecedented step of supporting Nato action against Gaddafi. Gaddafi's activities in the AU are commendable.

The clueless handlers of GEJ had no business enabling him to make such a statement against Gaddafi. Such statements by GEJ could not have helped Nigeria or GEJ. It only makes GEJ appear to be a puppet, a thing that could invite Al Quaeda activities such as the one we saw today in Abuja. awon olodo
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Beaf: 8:59pm On Aug 26, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Love him or hate him, but Gaddafi shunned the Arabs and associated with the African continent while the going was good. He wanted to build a better Africa for us and wanted to have nothing to do with Al Quaeda. This is one of the reasons why the Arab leaugue took the unprecedented step of supporting Nato action against Gaddafi. Gaddafi's activities in the AU are commendable.

The clueless handlers of GEJ had no business enabling him to make such a statement against Gaddafi. Such statements by GEJ could not have helped Nigeria or GEJ. It only makes GEJ appear to be a puppet, a thing that could invite Al Quaeda activities such as the one we saw today in Abuja. awon olodo

I beg to differ.

Gaddafi recently made the unfortunate comment that Nigeria should be divided along religious lines. He is a flippant man not deserving of any respect, I'm quite shocked at your effusion of praise for him, because he deserves only scorn.
Even worse than the above, Gaddafi ordered the execution of several hundred or thousand Nigerians, simply for being in his country illegally; the man is a beast that deserves the worst death.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by somze(f): 9:33pm On Aug 26, 2011
I'm really sick and tired of all you CPC supporters that have nothing to do but lambast Jonathan about any action and inaction. It is childish, disgraceful and sickening.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by nduchucks: 10:39pm On Aug 26, 2011
Beaf:

I beg to differ.

Gaddafi recently made the unfortunate comment that Nigeria should be divided along religious lines. He is a flippant man not deserving of any respect, I'm quite shocked at your effusion of praise for him, because he deserves only scorn.

I suppose GEJ and Nigeria must respond to Gaddafi's stupidity and undiplomatic statements with the same, ko? Thats kinda dumb. I am not praising Gaddafi but only stating verifiable facts.

Just so you know, the irresponsible policies and theft of your hero government officials and leaders have caused the deaths of more Nigerians than 100 Gaddafis could ever imagine.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Beaf: 10:46pm On Aug 26, 2011
ndu_chucks:

I suppose GEJ and Nigeria must respond to Gaddafi's stupidity and undiplomatic statements with the same, ko? Thats kinda dumb. I am not praising Gaddafi but only stating verifiable facts.

Just so you know, the irresponsible policies and theft of your hero government officials and leaders have caused the deaths of more Nigerians than 100 Gaddafis could ever imagine.

I would have thought you would expand on these "verifiable facts." No?
Oga, maybe the "verifiable facts" are the Worlds best kept secret, but we still demand to know. Why do you think Gaddafi should be kept in power, when he is a bestial dictator that has been in power for 42 years and uses jet fighters and bombs to quell riots?

Lets forget about the fellow Nigerian men and women Gaddafi has executed like chickens for no reason, I see they don't matter to you. I am waiting to be enriched by your arguments. angry
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by nduchucks: 11:08pm On Aug 26, 2011
Beaf:

I would have thought you would expand on these "verifiable facts." No?
Oga, maybe the "verifiable facts" are the Worlds best kept secret, but we still demand to know. Why do you think Gaddafi should be kept in power, when he is a bestial dictator that has been in power for 42 years and uses jet fighters and bombs to quell riots?

Lets forget about the fellow Nigerian men and women Gaddafi has executed like chickens for no reason, I see they don't matter to you. I am waiting to be enriched by your arguments. angry

Your newfound dodging mechanism will not work this time pally. This is not about whether Gaddafi should be kept in power or not - that issue is being addressed by his people with Nato's help. dat one no concern me.

The real issue is the gross incompetence of GEJ's handlers, they keep helping him to stick his foot in his mouth, over and over again. GEJ is a good man, but he needs to get rid of many in his inner circle. We are at war and this government is doing nothing to protect Nigeria and Nigerians. Our capital was attacked for crying out loudly!! When are they going to round up the supporters and financiers of these terrorists groups?

Lets hope they are not waiting for NASS or Aso Rock to be attacked by suicide bombers before they move. They need to bring in the Israelis ASAP. Let them help us clean up this mess, after which we kick them out of the country promptly.

It may be time to start impeachment proceedings against GEJ and get a President, who can competently provide for our safety, in place. Even a blind man could see that GEJ would be handed a country which would be ungovernable after he foolishly thought he could ignore an important gentleman's agreement, simply because his handlers told him it was OK. Olodo.

Over 10 bombings since he came to power - what a pity.
Re: Nigeria &south Africa In Face Off Over Jonathan's Irresponsible Comment On Libya by Beaf: 11:24pm On Aug 26, 2011
ndu_chucks:

Your newfound dodging mechanism will not work this time pally. This is not about whether Gaddafi should be kept in power or not - that issue is being addressed by his people with Nato's help. dat one no concern me.

The real issue is the gross incompetence of GEJ's handlers, they keep helping him to stick his foot in his mouth, over and over again. GEJ is a good man, but he needs to get rid of many in his inner circle. We are at war and this government is doing nothing to protect Nigeria and Nigerians. Our capital was attacked for crying out loudly!! When are they going to round up the supporters and financiers of these terrorists groups?

Lets hope they are not waiting for NASS or Aso Rock to be attacked by suicide bombers before they move. They need to bring in the Israelis ASAP. Let them help us clean up this mess, after which we kick them out of the country promptly.

It may be time to start impeachment proceedings against GEJ and get a President, who can competently provide for our safety, in place. Even a blind man could see that GEJ would be handed a country which would be ungovernable after he foolishly thought he could ignore an important gentleman's agreement, simply because his handlers told him it was OK. Olodo.

Over 10 bombings since he came to power - what a pity.

I believe the bolded is what this thread is about. Dude, forget about all the spurious stuff that has nothing to do with Jacob Zuma of Gaddafi; you've only proven you had no point to begin with, but thought there was a cheap chance to abuse GEJ and took it.

Fail.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Subsidy Removal: The Govt Has A Superior Argument Than NLC/TUC And Civil Society / Ijaw People ‘re Encroaching On My Land, Oba Of Benin Tells AIG / Biafra Awareness Campaign Moves To Foreign National Television Stations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.