Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,739 members, 7,820,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality (15531 Views)

Yahaya Sharif-Aminu Death Sentence: Falana Drags FG, Kano To African Commission / Ganduje To Sign Yahaya Sharif-Aminu Death Warrant Over Blasphemy / Yahaya Sharif-Aminu: Protest In Kano Over "Blasphemy Against Prophet Muhammad" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Blue3k(m): 8:21pm On Nov 25, 2022
Sharif-Aminu is asking the apex court to declare that the offence of blasphemy is not recognised in Nigerian law.

Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, a musician sentenced to death by hanging in 2020 after being convicted of blasphemy, has approached the Supreme Court of Nigeria to challenge his conviction.

This was seen in court documents filed by his counsel, Kola Alapinni Esq, which were obtained by SaharaReporters on Wednesday.

According to the documents, Sharif-Aminu is asking the apex court to declare that the offence of blasphemy is not recognised in Nigerian law.

SaharaReporters exclusively learnt on Wednesday that the governor of Kano, Abdullahi Ganduje and the state Attorney General, Musa Abdullahi Lawan had just been served court papers with regard to the appeal.

The death sentence was passed on Sharif-Aminu by a Sharia court, which a high court overturned. It, however, denied the musician bail and ordered his re-trial before another Sharia court judge due to irregularities in the original trial.

The musician approached the appeal court to overturn the order for his retrial for blasphemy. His lawyer argued that he ought to be removed from detention.

But the appellate court did not rule in his favour.

Sharif-Aminu’s notice of appeal to the apex court reads, “Take Notice that the Appellant being dissatisfied with the decision more particularly stated in paragraph 2, of the Court of Appeal, Kano Division holden at Kano, Kano State contained in the judgment dated 31/08/2022 doth hereby appeal to the Supreme Court of Nigeria upon the grounds set out in paragraph 3 and will at the hearing of the appeal seek the relief set out in paragraph 4.

“And the Appellant states that the names and addresses of the persons directly affected by the appeal are those set out in paragraph 5.”

The Appellant noted that the part of the decision of the lower court complained of is “the whole” decision.

He is seeking an order “allowing the appeal, setting aside the judgment of the Court of Appeal and entering judgment in favour of the Appellant”.

Sharif-Aminu is also seeking “an order declaring S.382(b) of the Sharia Penal Code Law of Kano State 2000 being in conflict and incompatible with S.34(1)(a), S.38(1), S.39(1), and other provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Articles 5, 8, and 9, among others, of the African Charter on Human and People's Rights, and Articles 7, 18, and 19, among others, of the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights, as well as an order declaring other sections of the Sharia Penal Code, including SS: 94 (1) (b); 97 (a-j); 99; 115 (1) (2); 116(2): 117; 118 (2): 123; 125 (e-b), 126 (e) (2): 127 (a-b); 129 (a b): 131; 134: 134(b): 135(2): 136; 137: 140 (b); 141 (b): 146 (a): 148; 163 (c): 169: 150; 154; 155; 157; 162; 163 (c); 169: 170; 174 (3); 175-178; 186; 187; 189; 191-194; 196; 197; 199; 200; 208-211; 216-221; 223-227; 237; 246 (a); 260 (a-b); 264; 268; 273; 276 (c), (i); 277 (c); 280 (b): 281-284 (c); 285-287 (b); 290; 291 (b); 292; 293 (d) (-i): 294 (a-b): 295 (a): 296 (a); a-b): 295 (a): 296 (a); 297 (a-b); 298 (b); 299 (a-b) 300-308; 309 (a-b); 310-312; 315 (1-2): 316 (1): 317; 323; 324 (a); 325;-328; 329 (a-b); 330-332; 335 (b); 336 (b); 337 (b); 338 (b): 339 (b); 340; 342 (c); 344 (c); 345 (c): 346 (c): 347 (b): 348 (b); 349 (b); 352 (a): 353; 356; 358; 360-362; 368; 369 (b); 373; 376; 377(e); 385; 387 (b); 388 (1) as being similarly incompatible with the Constitution and international treaties.”

Source: https://saharareporters.com/2022/11/09/nigerian-singer-sentenced-death-sharif-aminu-appeals-conviction-supreme-court-wants

8 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by kpakpakpa(m): 8:36pm On Nov 25, 2022
He MAY get justice cos that shariaa cjn is no longer there.

What i hate most is how this law is applicable only to the poor. BTW, i'm not understanding the numbers you quote up there.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Blue3k(m): 8:37pm On Nov 25, 2022
Sharif-Aminu is entering the sudden death round. Let's hope he wins so blasphemy becomes Unconstitutional. It's clearly at odds with the constitution regarding free speech expression and religion. If he does win I suggest we amend the constitution to add a Succession clause so righteous states don't have to be with infidels.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Blue3k(m): 8:55pm On Nov 25, 2022
kpakpakpa:
He MAY get justice cos that sharia cjn is no longer there.

What I hate most is how this law is applicable only to the poor. BTW, I'm not understanding the numbers you quote up there.

The former Sharia CJN is one vote on Supreme Court. I don't know why you guys act like there isn't multiple Justices who sit on the Supreme Court. All he needs is a majority opinion in your favor.

The law is enforced differently by their own admission because Islam has a hierarchy. Look at the hisbah quotes from last year they didn't refute. The numbers are sections of the law the lawyers are citing.

4 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by JASONjnr(m): 9:17pm On Nov 25, 2022
Because Christians sees nothing wrong with the killings of its followers in the name of nothing...

If a Muslim was killed for blasphemy, the north will rise and fight back.....

I really regret that God had to send me to this country ..... I'd better as a beggar in Europe than a prince in this country..

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Blue3k(m): 9:22pm On Nov 25, 2022
JASONjnr:

If a Muslim was killed for blasphemy, the north will rise and fight back.....

Lol this better be sarcastic because of this is utter nonsense.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by JASONjnr(m): 9:24pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:

Lol this better be sarcastic because of this is utter nonsense.

You know that you Muslims can't take what you give ....

When GEJ declared war o. Boko haram, Elrufai came out shouting that killing a Boko haram is killing a Northerner....And with a subtle threat...He said the north doesn't forget....

My only concern is you Yoruba Muslims....

24 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Nobody: 9:34pm On Nov 25, 2022
Lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Naturalgbola(m): 9:34pm On Nov 25, 2022
islambad

7 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Chijeep(m): 9:35pm On Nov 25, 2022
See finishing...

Sorry to every poor muslims ooo
grin
Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by OPICANTO2223: 9:35pm On Nov 25, 2022
Muslim-muslim ticket here we come

2 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by MrExcel(m): 9:36pm On Nov 25, 2022
People fighting on behalf of God?
Atiku and Okowa will change all these abnormalities

1 Like

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Treasuredgift(f): 9:36pm On Nov 25, 2022
The greatest gift my parents gave to me, was to be born a Christian.
Thank you mom and Dad, u may not have given me the world, but you gave me the Joy to serve a merciful and compassionate God in the most peaceful religion.
No fear to be killed or condemned if I leave or blaspheme against him. He is even ever ready to forgive.
I only have to face him personally for judgment if I err, without any court sitting over my affairs.

Thank you Jesus. May I see you at last!!!!

55 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by hbk001(m): 9:37pm On Nov 25, 2022
Just imagine.
Blasphemy as an offence!!?
How on Earth are we sharing the same space with these slowpokes!!?
I hope we get it right some day and see how deluded y'all I've been with this religion stuffs!!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by boolet: 9:37pm On Nov 25, 2022
Shame. Same people, who call Jesus a mere prophet, talk about blasphemy... Shameless and uncivil lot, who can't simply live and let live.

It's not even about education, they all think alike. They think they are God's assassins, killing for 'their' God at will.

9 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by chem441: 9:38pm On Nov 25, 2022
That's nice
Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Naturalgbola(m): 9:38pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:
If he does win I suggest we amend the constitution to add a Succession clause so righteous states don't have to be with infidels.
Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by chucks185: 9:38pm On Nov 25, 2022
what a country with multiple constitutions .

4 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Chinjo2: 9:38pm On Nov 25, 2022
Even if he gets justice, trust the north they will still execute him through extra judicial means

8 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Aboguede(m): 9:39pm On Nov 25, 2022
Nairaland just de advertise baba blu like say na em get this site grin

What do I know shocked

1 Like

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by RZArecta(m): 9:39pm On Nov 25, 2022
This is the main reason why they want to make blasphemy a constitutional crime all over the world especially Europe and America

1 Like

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by easyfem(m): 9:40pm On Nov 25, 2022
Sometime I dont understand that religion ...

How can you take religion than human being .... bfor u attack me, my name is ISA ooooo, incase if u won talk , I go coz ur mama.... if truth become second option to u , ur education is useless..If u are able to read diz and still love stupid religion than ur fellow human being , u are stupid

19 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by INDOMIE9090(f): 9:40pm On Nov 25, 2022
JASONjnr:

When GEJ declared war o. Boko haram, Elrufai came out shouting that killing a Boko haram is killing a Northerner....And with a subtle threat...He said the north doesn't forget....

wetin concern yoruba Muslim with your stupid writeup

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Blue3k(m): 9:40pm On Nov 25, 2022
JASONjnr:

You're clearly trolling because the longer you talk the less sense you make. El rufia statements to Jonathan have nothing to do with this. Besides Aminu is a Sufi Muslim. I'm neither Yoruba or Muslim.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by wiseone28: 9:40pm On Nov 25, 2022
Brb let me read before i modify
Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by AK481(m): 9:41pm On Nov 25, 2022
This will br very interesting and confusing I must say .

There can't be 2 supreme court for xhristian and Muslims.
There can't be 2 laws for Muslim and Christian at the supreme Court level.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by Blue3k(m): 9:42pm On Nov 25, 2022
MrExcel:
People fighting on behalf of God?
Atiku and Okowa will change all these abnormalities

Lol don't be silly he couldn't even call out that girl's killers. He won't touch this story either because it's too politically and religiously controversial. Give credit to Aminu abd his lawyers if the win.

6 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by JASONjnr(m): 9:43pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:

You're clearly trolling because the longer you talk the less sense you make. El rufia statements to Jonathan have nothing to do with this. Besides Aminu is a Sufi Muslim.

You're the one trolling me by quoting me up and down.

And you are extremely dull to think backwardly...

He's a Sufi Muslims challenging the killings in the name of blasphemy.

2 Likes

Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by onajo2000(m): 9:43pm On Nov 25, 2022
Eating your cake and having it back
Re: Sharif-aminu Appeals To The Supreme Court Regarding Blasphemy Constitutionality by MrExcel(m): 9:44pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:

Lol don't be silly he couldn't even call out that girl's killers. He won't touch this story either because it's too politically and religiously controversial. Give credit to Aminu abd his lawyers if the win.
Wetin u dey talk sef

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

78 Killed, 12 Kidnapped In Tinubu’s First Week – Nigeria Security Tracker / EFCC Seeks Laws Against Unexplained Wealth / Oborevwori Meets Tinubu Over Attack On Military Personnel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.