Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,145 members, 7,821,902 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:17 PM

Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company (8223 Views)

Fayose's Letter To Chinese Government To Stop Buhari's $2bn Loan (Photos) / FG Awards #31bn Niger Delta Road Contract / How Jonathan Awarded $500m Defense Contract To Arthur Eze - SaharaReporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by ektbear: 5:54am On Aug 27, 2011
By Dimeji Kayode-Adedeji
August 26, 2011 02:13AM

The Ogun State government yesterday signed a contract with China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) for the construction of a six-lane road in Abeokuta, the state capital, in line with its determination to build infrastructure across the state.

The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Yusuph Olaniyonu, made this known in a statement in Abeokuta Thursday, adding that the road, stretching between Ibara Roundabout and Ita-Eko-Totoro Road in the town, is expected to be completed within eight months.

He said the construction will cost the state government ₦1.3 billion and will consist of six lanes, median with street lights, drainage systems, sidewalk as well as a green belt on either side of the road.

The Ogun State Executive Council had earlier this month approved the construction and rehabilitation of several roads, cutting across the state in line with the governor Ibikunle Amosun's infrastructure development and urban renewal agenda. The governor had expressed his displeasure with the derelict state of road network in the state and promised to repair them.

Speaking at the signing ceremony, the state Commissioner for Works, Lekan Adegbite, and his Permanent Secretary, Musendiq Oni signed the contract on behalf of the state government, while CCECC Project Manager, Cai Junjie and the company coordinator, Hao Fengbin, signed on behalf of CCECC.

Mr Adegbite described the signing ceremony as a milestone in the life of the present administration. "The policy thrust of this administration is to improve on the road infrastructure in the state," he said, adding that the present administration planned to modernise and make adequate provision to ease traffic flow and improve commercial activities in the state.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5739892-147/ogun_awards_six-lane_road_contract_to.csp
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by ektbear: 5:57am On Aug 27, 2011
More info here: http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/aug/26/national-26-08-2011-016.html

Looks like 2.4 km (1.5 miles).

So $5.8 million/mile, for a 6 lane road? That seems like a pretty good price, no?
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Rhino5dm: 6:17am On Aug 27, 2011
So what next will the detractors say? This man is clearly delivering on his promises and seems that he knows when to keep the enemies shut. He said after the rains then massive construction. . .comapre this 'people developmental oriented project' to the wasted years of that PDP tout? Some nice things to hear after the horrable bombing events.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Rhino5dm: 6:26am On Aug 27, 2011
Fashola is clearly leading the SW to the path of glory. Now try comparing this singular unique project to all the rants in other PDP-led states.

The state government should not relent in seeing that these projects are carried out within specifications and high quality standards.

*When the apologist were called out trying to distort facts for the sole aim of promoting their political commotion and their usual acts of exchanging conscience with bag of rice, they claimed witch hunting.

ekt_bear:

More info here: http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/aug/26/national-26-08-2011-016.html

So $5.8 million/mile, for a 6 lane road? That seems like a pretty good price, no?
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 10:11am On Aug 27, 2011
First ever six lane road in the State  shocked shocked shocked shocked Improved commerce and increased IGR shocked shocked shocked No wonder the PDP apologists and vacuous haters of the ACN are absent from this thread. Folks will be surprised at the development that will be seen in the southwest over the next few years. Let the usual haters carry on with their noise about "ACN is all about Fashola" and "ACN is no better than the PDP".

I have said it many times that the ACN does not have even one terrible Governor . They are all above average in varying degree and the new Governors are certainly better and more decent than the PDP Governors they replaced.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/aug/26/national-26-08-2011-016.html

Demolition imminent as Ogun plans 6 -lane road for Abeokuta
From Moshood Adebayo, Abeokuta
Friday, August 26, 2011

More Stories on This Section

It will be a mixed feeling for the residents of Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital as the state government is set to demolish buildings for a 2.4 kilometre road which estimate is put at N1.36 billion. Already, the contract for the first ever six-lane road in the state capital has been awarded to the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC).

The state Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Olamilekan Adegbite, while signing the contract for the construction works yesterday said the new stretch of road would improve the road infrastructure in the state, adding that it was the beginning of good things to come in the state. Adegbite said the road project, which would be widened to meet international standard would start from Ibara roundabout, stretching through Ita-Eko, Sokori and end at Totoro.

He added that the construction works, which he noted would be completed within the next eight months would not only ease vehicular movement, but also enhance commercial activities in the state capital. The six-lane road project with side walks, street lamps and other modern facilities, according to the commissioner was in line with the policy thrust of the Governor Ibikunle Amosun administration.

“There is bound to be demolition of property, as we speak, we have commenced the process of identification, enumeration and compensation.“Sister agencies that are involved in this have commenced work in earnest and the affected people would be duly compensated.’’

His words: “It is the belief of this administration to modernize many roads in the state to improve the commerce of the state and consequently improve our Internally Generated Revenue (IGR).
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 10:29am On Aug 27, 2011
ekt_bear:

Yes it does . N1.3 billion is around £4.8 million for a 6 lane 2.4 km International standard road with sidewalk, Street lighting, median division , drainage channels et al.

Generally road construction can be very expensive even if the lenght being constructed is fairly short because of the sort of indirect engineering considerations the average person may not factor in that is expensively linked with the overall project.  I.e re-planning gas/electric/conduit pipe work, demolition of buildings and clearing of rubbles, compensation work for unusual gradient/topographic obstruction etc.

Below for example , A Moscow ring road , in a very built up city, is estimated to cost $230m per KM !!!! This is why I instinctly understand the reason ACN governors are deploying Chinese labour i.e they can provide far better standard of work than local contractors (Bi-Courtney et al) at a total price below what obtains in the best Western nations where labour cost can be hideously high.

http://www.bsr-russia.com/en/transport/item/1429-$230m-a-km-too-high-a-price-for-a-fourth-ring-road-for-moscow.html

$230m a km too high a price for a fourth ring road for Moscow
Written by Editor on Monday, 27 December 2010 12:40 | Published in Road & Rail Transport

Moscow's Mayor Sergei Sobyanin, who has pledged to eliminate the city's notorious traffic jams, has cast doubt on the prioritry need for a fourth ring road with a budgeted cost at 7 billion rubles ($230 million) per kilometer, or 500 billion rubles ($16 billion) overall.

Due to large-scale building demolition and clearance work involved, the project's construction costs are too high the Mayor said but acknowledged the final decision will be made after consultations with federal transportation ministry experts.

Moscow already has the Garden Ring, about 3 km around the center, the Third Ring Road, 5-6 km away from the center, and the Outer Ring Road, demarcating the city boundaries, 17-20 km from the center.

The total length of traffic jams in Moscow last Wednesday evening reached 2,850 km, which is equal to the distance between the Russian capital and Siberia's Novosibirsk.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has said the elimination of traffic jams is a "viability test" for the federal government and a key to making the capital a world financial hub. 
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by wesley80(m): 12:01pm On Aug 27, 2011
Probably a Good one for the people of the state, but just have to wonder how much of a problem a 6lane 2km road would solve in reality. I'll appreciate more information from someone that knows better than I do.

@Gbawe, you do know there's no basis for comparing a road going through Moscow and a 2km footpath in Abeokuta right? I'm assuming all those gaspipes/conduits/powerlines and the rest you mentioned were supposed to no more than garnish your post as you and i and everyone else that has been to Nigeria knows gas lines do not traverse our streets and our power lines are suspended midair - i'm assuming the conduits you mentioned were water pipes!nd our power lines are suspended midair - i'm assuming the conduits you mentioned were water pipes!
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by hajifaty: 12:10pm On Aug 27, 2011
I hope everything works out according to what are reading in the news papers.In a matter of fact Abeokuta and other places in the State need a good infrastructure and good developments. Imagine a State capital that looks like a 100 years back city. Ogun state can be a better place for all. May God help this Administration
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by member479760: 12:18pm On Aug 27, 2011
this is more than crazy! nothing good can comes out of dumb!
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by nolongTing: 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2011
@Gbawe thats one of the best jokes of the year, comparing Moscow to Abeokuta lol! grin grin grin grin grin And then adding that "re-planning gas/electric/conduit pipe work, demolition of buildings and clearing of rubbles, compensation work for unusual gradient/topographic obstruction etc. " makes you sound like an overexcited cheerleader. Lets face it calling in the Chinese to build a SHORT road is TERRIBLE!
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by nolongTing: 12:43pm On Aug 27, 2011
edited :
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by doyin13(m): 1:11pm On Aug 27, 2011
I wonder what kind of impact, this kind of project will have in the wider scheme of things.

Its been a while since I have been to Abeokuta, but I am willing to wager a horrendous traffic situation isn't one of their most pressing problems.

Besides Lagos, I think other SW states, when considering road building should be coordinating and trying to implement inter-state rather than intra-state. That is likely to have a greater economic impact than a walkway within the capital as one poster earlier put it. These kinds of roads should really be left to the local governments. Buttresses my opinion we have to get rid of at least one layer of the lower tiers of power.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 1:14pm On Aug 27, 2011
wesley80:

Probably a Good one for the people of the state, but just have to wonder how much of a problem a 6lane 2km road would solve in reality. I'll appreciate more information from someone that knows better than I do.

@Gbawe, you do know there's no basis for comparing a road going through Moscow and a 2km footpath in Abeokuta right? I'm assuming all those gaspipes/conduits/powerlines and the rest you mentioned were supposed to no more than garnish your post as you and

Man mi, when is a 6 lane road , first of its kind in the State, ever a "footpath" ? Do you now want to be like other shameless apologist of the PDP who can never give credit where it is due ? I am sure you know the difference between a footpath and a road. As such , your comment can only be driven by sheer mischief.

i and everyone else that has been to Nigeria knows gas lines do not traverse our streets and our power lines  are suspended midair - i'm assuming the conduits you mentioned were water pipes!nd our power lines  are suspended midair - i'm assuming the conduits you mentioned were water pipes!

Can you lay off the mischief for even a second? Where did I say the cost-increasing considerations I mentioned are automatically applicable to Nigeria? I made it clear that there are considerations of cost most folks may not consider as part of what increases overall expenses. it is a shame your pretense at earnest discourse is no more than a disguise for your partisan thinking and motivation. I mean, why call a 6 lane road , historically the first of it kind, a footpath?

Generally road construction can be very expensive even if the lenght being constructed is fairly short because of the sort of indirect engineering considerations the average person may not factor in that is expensively linked with the overall project.  I.e re-planning gas/electric/conduit pipe work, demolition of buildings and clearing of rubbles, compensation work for unusual gradient/topographic obstruction etc.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Dele78: 1:18pm On Aug 27, 2011
what for? That type of road is needless in that place, dual carriage is good enough,such a road can be built at ota, which is far more commercially viable.
I hope this is not backed by selfish motive and avenue to waste public fund!
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 1:20pm On Aug 27, 2011
nolongTing:

@Gbawe thats one of the best jokes of the year, comparing Moscow to Abeokuta [/b]lol!  grin grin grin grin grin And then adding that "re-planning gas/electric/conduit pipe work, demolition of buildings and clearing of rubbles, compensation work for unusual gradient/topographic obstruction etc. " makes you sound like an overexcited cheerleader.  Lets face it calling in the Chinese to build a SHORT road is TERRIBLE!

No one is comparing Abeokuta to Moscow. Lets attempt to leave mischief out . It is ruining intelligent debate. I made it clear , [b]by giving general examples
, that peculiar engineering consideration , specific to particular sites, exist that may increase overall construction cost even as most non-expert observers may not be aware of this. I never said that Moscow is similar to Abeokuta or that gas work divertion is an intrinsic consideration for roads being constructed in Ogun State.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by doyin13(m): 1:30pm On Aug 27, 2011
I think we are too far gone to be worried about cost to be honest.

So long as its not ridiculously exorbitant, I am almost resigned to having a a few bills shaved off the top. There is simply no way to stop it, and any inquiry into the thieving will only see more shaving and more corruption.

The best one can hope for is the projects they choose to have done will impact in some way to the widest population possible or address a very pressing need.

In that respect, is this defensible?
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 1:34pm On Aug 27, 2011
Dele78:

what for? That type of road is needless in that place, dual carriage is good enough,such a road can be built at ota, which is far more commercially viable.
I hope this is not backed by selfish motive and avenue to waste public fund!

When roads are not built or repaired we complain. When roads are built and renovated we still complain. Man tire sef . Some even ungraciously called this 6 lane road a "walkway" and "footpath". Na wa OOO.  The Southwest leaders are following a plan , local and regional, to improve infrastructure and enhance inter and Intra state transport in the South West . this road, for example, is part of the overall plan and not at all exhaustive neither is it impeding the construction of other required roads. Even the FG has commended the Amosun Government for its road construction efforts  ,same as how even opposition Governors are able to hail fashola as "the best", so I don't see why some of us cannot give credit where due.

http://www.ogunstate.gov.ng/news_details.php?id=5

NEWS - FG COMMENDS OGUN ON ROAD PROJECTS

The Federal Ministry of Works has lauded Ogun State government for its massive investments in road construction and its intervention on failed portions of the federal roads in its domains.

Members of the Presidential Audit Team, led by the Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Engr. Ejike Egbemena, stated this during a courtesy visit to the governor in Abeokuta. The team commended the state government for its palliative work at Sango-Ota, which has since eased the traffic gridlock on the Ogun State end of the Lagos/Abeokuta Expressway and its reconstruction of the completely dilapidated portion of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway at Mowe, opposite the Redeemed Christian Church of God Camp.

The team stated that the effort of the state government on these two federal roads had ameliorated the untold hardship being experienced by commuters.

Members of the Presidential Audit Team were, at the request of the state government, on assessment tour of the federal roads in Ogun State, with a view to encouraging co-operation on the rehabilitation of the roads.

“We are impressed with what we have seen,” remarked the head of the delegation, “and we are happy to inform the governor that the Federal Government has awarded the contract for the construction of Lagos/Ota highway, which is to start in 2 weeks’ time. We are scrapping and putting up a new road with emphasis on drainages in order to ensure durability of the road.”

The team also said palliative work had been approved for the Ikorodu/Sagamu road and urged the state government to partner with the Federal Government to ensure that funds invested on the roads were protected.

In his reaction, Governor Ibikunle Amosun, said “the people are not interested in which road is federal and which one belongs to the state. Road is one of the most important social amenities. The Abeokuta/Ibadan road is not good. A lot of lives are lost on the road on a daily basis. The Ikorodu/Sagamu road is a big shame; petrol tankers had to embark on strike because of the terrible state of the road. This does not augur well for the economic well-being of the country.”

The governor reiterated the need for Nigerians to develop the culture of maintenance. “Once you do not maintain a road, it collapses. If you go abroad, roads stand for up to 30 or 40 years but here they collapse within three years.”

The governor also urged the Federal Government to always award construction contracts to firms that “have the competence, capacity and capital” to carry out such a project.

“You don’t do try and error with roads that are of strategic importance to the national economy; they must be awarded to companies that are tested and have track records,” he said.

The governor commended the Federal Government for the visit and requested for prompt reimbursement of funds expended by Ogun State on federal roads.

In a chat with newsmen shortly after the parley, Engr. Ejike Egbemena commended the quality of work done even on roads where the state government used direct labour approach and called for partnership between the states and federal government to ensure that commercial activities that lead to encroachment of the right of way and result in blockage of drainages were curtailed.

He re-emphasised the commitment of the Federal Government to provide a good road network in Nigeria.

The governor, in company of the Secretary to the state government, Barr. Adeoluwa Taiwo and a host of commissioners, had earlier hosted the team to a ‘break-your-fast’ dinner.

It will be recalled that a few weeks ago in the print and electronic media, many Nigerians expressed profound gratitude to the new administration in Ogun State for its interventions on the two major federal highways in its territory -Lagos/Abeokuta Expressway and Lagos/Ibadan Expressway.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 1:43pm On Aug 27, 2011
No point wasting bandwidth and starting another thread.

http://www.ogunstate.gov.ng/news_details.php?id=7

NEWS - AMOSUN PLANS 250 HEALTH CENTRES

Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State has promised to construct functional health centres in each of the 236 political wards in the state.

[b]Already, rehabilitation work would be completed within the next two weeks on 50 health centres scattered across the state.

The governor disclosed these while delivering a keynote address at the 2011 Kick Polio campaign, tagged: “Men: Let’s Kick Polio Out” in Abeokuta during which he immunised a total of 59 children.

According to him, “we have the plan to establish a functional health facility in each of the 236 wards and that will bring it up to 236 but we hope to round up the figure to 250.

“We believe in the importance of a functional healthcare. Some 53 years ago, I was born at a health centre in Totoro area of Abeokuta and if the health centre was not there at that time, I wonder what could have happened to me. I am happy that the centre is still standing today and has all the facilities needed for effective healthcare delivery.”

“This administration believes firmly that health is wealth and a healthy nation is a wealthy nation. I promised to ensure health care delivery to all our people across the state. This explains why I declared free maternal care for all pregnant women as well as free healthcare for all children below five years of age,” the governor said.[/b]
Senator Amosun revealed that rehabilitation work on the 50 healthcare centres was part of the initial intervention efforts of his administration, adding that they would be ready before his 100 days in office in two weeks time.

To make them functional, the governor said boreholes will be sunk in the premises of the health centres, explaining that generating sets will equally be provided to ensure all round power supply for storage of vaccines in the centres.

He praised the theme of the 2011 Kick Polio campaign, stating that the theme calls attention to the fact that the care for children should not be the responsibility of mothers alone.
Speaking earlier, the state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Olaokun Soyinka, enjoined stakeholders to complement government’s efforts at preventing killer diseases, charging them to redouble efforts in the fight against polio prevention.

I[b]n his goodwill message, the representative of World Health Organisation (WHO), Dr. Wale Fameesin, commended the state government for its commitment towards the provision of good healthcare services for the citizenry and made case for an improvement on awareness campaign on polio eradication.[/b]

Also speaking, the representative of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, Abuja, Mrs. Boma Otobo, underscored the need for continued government’s support for health workers in the fight against polio.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by doyin13(m): 1:46pm On Aug 27, 2011
I guess I must tender my apologies and try to keep up with what is going on.

I still have my reservations about the Abeokuta project, but those interventions on the Federal roads, from the article, sound very impressive.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 2:02pm On Aug 27, 2011
doyin13:

I guess I must tender my apologies and try to keep up with what is going on.

I still have my reservations about the Abeokuta project, but those interventions on the Federal roads, from the article, sound very impressive.

My brother, no worries . Anyone not looking beyond the deliberate negative reportage , mainly PDP sponsored, that permeates our news sources can be forgiven for thinking all leaders are indolently sitting around like those from the PDP. Many States now have their websites. I tend to go there directly to seek updates . There are often contact details we can present our enquiries to . For example , Amosuns 5 Cardinal programs , stated on the Ogun State website, are:

http://www.ogunstate.gov.ng/index.php

Affordable Qualitative Education
Efficient Health Care Delivery
Increased Agriculture Production / Industrialisation
Affordable Housing / Urban Renewal
Rural and Infrastructural Development and Employment Generation

Even this early in the day, Amosun appears to be following the sincere and holistic implementation of his programs with solid moves made as per infrastructural development , affordable housing , healthcare delivery et al. I really don't see a cause for anything other than optimism and hope in Ogun State.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Yinkay: 2:05pm On Aug 27, 2011
At least many Nigerians will be employed when governments embarks many public projects and the wages will trickle down to impact on the economy of the area.massive spending on infrastructure developmen can generate the momentum to galvanise the economy,that is the Fresh air we expect by GEJ.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by nolongTing: 2:16pm On Aug 27, 2011
@ Gbawe thanks for the extra information, I read the links you posted and I noticed the following statements:

The governor also urged the Federal Government to always award construction contracts to firms that “have the competence, capacity and capital” to carry out such a project.

“You don’t do try and error with roads that are of strategic importance to the national economy; they must be awarded to companies that are tested and have track records,” he said.

Now, I fully understand that government is serious business and there is no room for sentiment – the roads have to built to the highest standard asap. You seem to have extensive knowledge on this matter so I would like to know are there any Nigerian construction companies that can undertake such projects? If not, how in your opinion are they going to be established? Are there any nationwide initiatives to increase the participation and quality of work offered by Nigerian Contractors? Will Nigeria have to depend on China to build its entire infrastructure?
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 2:57pm On Aug 27, 2011
nolongTing:

@ Gbawe thanks for the extra information, I read the links you posted and I noticed the following statements:

Now, I fully understand that government is serious business and there is no room for sentiment – the roads have to built to the highest standard asap.  You seem to have extensive knowledge on this matter so I would like to know are there any Nigerian construction companies that can undertake such projects? If not, how in your opinion are they going to be established? Are there any nationwide initiatives to increase the participation and quality of work offered by Nigerian Contractors?  Will Nigeria have to depend on China to build its entire infrastructure?

my brother, I am very passionate about Nigerian solutions for Nigerian problems. That mentality means that , 100% of the time, I will always support our leaders patronising local goods and services. Unfortunately , over the past few decades a nasty trend has crept into our service delivery ethos with Politicians (not PDP alone) blatantly putting together incompetent conduit and front Companies or colluding with dubious companies they self-award contracts to . This is all done to the detriment of quality and high standard of work.

The NIPP (National integrated power projects) is a classic example. The Yar Adua approved probe into the NIPP scheme under OBJ revealed conduct shameful enough to move most Nigerians to tears. Power sector contract were awarded to even start up Companies who, via lack of expertise or specialist knowledge and background, were always doomed to deliver inept work!!! Stella Obasanjo-Bello , despite no expertise in the sector, allegedly obtained contract through her conduit firm (see below).

There will therefore always be Governors , in  a hurry to deliver, who will prefer to utilise Chinese Firms who can deliver assured high quality work at a reasonable cost. For such Governors , Patriotism may be costly and I don't have the luxury of judging them given that the same electorate will turn on them if quality of roads are poor .

I will alway support that Nigerian Construction firm, dedicated to high standard of work, be considered meritocratically but I can also admit that Governors have the right to settle on any firm , home or abroad, that provides the best balance of assured quality, adherence to deadline, record of efficacy and cost. The SW Governors may just not be ready to gamble with the limited resources of their States and I for one cannot fault them for that stance . I have seen the fantastic work the Chinese are doing elsewhere in Africa (Accra for example) and don't think we should attach too much sentiments or emotion towards how Nigerian firms are not winning construction awards for major Projects in the South West. 

Power probe: M.Schneider in fresh N4.1bn scandal
By John Ameh and John Alechenu
Thursday, 3 Apr 2008

The Austrian firm, M. Schneider Energy Limited, is involved in a fresh N4.1bn power contract scandal.

The firm, which is linked with Senator Iyabo Obasanjo-Bello, a daughter of former President Olusegun Obasanjo, was reportedly awarded the contract for the construction of the 5MVA Borokiri sub-station and its three components in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, under the National Integrated Power Projects scheme in 2006.

Although the projects were listed in the documents submitted to the House of Representatives Committee on Power and Steel by the NIPP management, its site was barren when the committee members visited on Wednesday.

The panel is investigating how the government of Obasanjo spent about $16bn on the power sector between 1999 and 2007 without commensurate results.

1 Like

Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by olsmade(m): 3:09pm On Aug 27, 2011
i hope d contracts for roads in sango-ota too have been awarded o. #enoughisenough
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by nolongTing: 3:12pm On Aug 27, 2011
Gbawe:

my brother, I am very passionate about Nigerian solutions for Nigerian problems. That mentality means that , 100% of the time, I will always support our leaders patronising local goods and services. Unfortunately , over the past few decades a nasty trend has crept into our service delivery ethos with Politicians (not PDP alone) blatantly putting together incompetent conduit and front Companies or colluding with dubious companies they self-award contracts to . This is all done to the detriment of quality and high standard of work.

The NIPP (National integrated power projects) is a classic example. The Yar Adua approved probe into the NIPP scheme under OBJ revealed conduct shameful enough to move most Nigerians to tears. Power sector contract were awarded to even start up Companies who, via lack of expertise or specialist knowledge and background, were always doomed to deliver inept work!!! Stella Obasanjo-Bello , despite no expertise in the sector, allegedly obtained contract through her conduit firm (see below).

There will therefore always be Governors , in  a hurry to deliver, who will prefer to utilise Chinese Firms who can deliver assured high quality work at a reasonable cost. For such Governors , Patriotism may be costly and I don't have the luxury of judging them given that the same electorate will turn on them if quality of roads are poor .

I will alway support that Nigerian Construction firm, dedicated to high standard of work, be considered meritocratically but I can also admit that Governors have the right to settle on any firm , home or abroad, that provides the best balance of assured quality, adherence to deadline, record of efficacy and cost. The SW Governors may just not be ready to gamble with the limited resources of their States and I for one cannot fault them for that stance . I have seen the fantastic work the Chinese are doing elsewhere in Africa (Accra for example) and don't think we should attach too much sentiments or emotion towards how Nigerian firms are not winning construction awards for major Projects in the South West. 

I see, so if there is no public or public-private funded initiative in the short-term the whole country will have to be built by foreign contractors. I totally understand the governor's predicament, all I can say is that when one looks at the Nigerian leadership challenge objectively, its not for the faint hearted. Like you said being patriotic with scarce funds can lead to political suicide.

But on the positive side, It would be more productive to see the whole situation as an opportunity waiting to be tapped by competent, entrepreneurial Nigerians.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Gbawe: 3:47pm On Aug 27, 2011
nolongTing:

I see, so if there is no public or public-private funded initiative in the short-term the whole country will have to be built by foreign contractors. I totally understand the governor's predicament, all I can say is that when one looks at the Nigerian leadership challenge objectively, its not for the faint hearted. Like you said being patriotic with scarce funds can lead to political suicide.

But on the positive side, It would be more productive to see the whole situation as an opportunity waiting to be tapped by competent, entrepreneurial Nigerians.

That is how I see it too. Our indigenous firms should step up their game if they want to compete. Our infrastructural deficit is huge and there is and will be , for a while, opportunities in Engineering, construction and built environment service. Our challenges are diverse (with fundamental considerations) if we begin to look at the issues that will impact of the rise of high quality Nigerian construction firms. Our education system , for example, now sabotages our youth by only equiping them with , at best, adequate rather than excellent and robust education. The uptake of science subject is bemoaned everyday by our educationists !!!

Also, Let us not forget that the concept of the global Village is not an intangible one in how it is physically shrinking trade and cooperation borders and exchange of technology. Even the best countries can outsource certain service sectors if it is cost effective and physically more efficient to do so. Personally, I want to see Nigerian firms of excellence rise and compete but only if they are good enough and dedicated to builiding a reputation of excellence rather than being 'jeun jeun' outfits out to make quick bucks.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by seanet02: 4:14pm On Aug 27, 2011
olsmade:

i hope d contracts for roads in sango-ota too have been awarded o. #enoughisenough
Though it is something Amosun can and should try to do, It is a Federal Road, so Don't come here to apportion any blame on him if The Road was left for your clueless Federal Government
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by proffmanue(m): 5:02pm On Aug 27, 2011
why not build under ground rail station,, learn frm the Europeans.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by VUVUZELA10: 5:32pm On Aug 27, 2011
The pretender and deceitful man in Edo State called Comrade Adams Oshiomhole is constructing roads with the sum of N2.5 billion per kilometre. A classic example is Airport Road which is already failing. The road has been reviewed four times. People living in Oko and its environ are in serious pains driving the road. The road to Government House from Airport Road is not motor able yet the propagandist is being projected by journalists as action man. With the exception of Fashola, ACN is a deceitful party probably worse than PDP. EDO people shine your eyes in 2012. FASHOLA for 2015
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by macroworld: 5:34pm On Aug 27, 2011
This is a brilliant Idea. I like the idea of 6 lanes which will ease the a lot of Traffic logjam some Nigeria Cities face. This is doing what is fit-for- Nigerian- Purpose.
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Jenifa1: 5:39pm On Aug 27, 2011

The governor commended the Federal Government for the visit and requested for prompt reimbursement of funds expended by Ogun State on federal roads.

grin
Re: Ogun Awards Six-lane Road Contract To Chinese Company by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 27, 2011
DO THIS TO SANGO OTTA,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Petrol Station Manager Killed By Gunmen In Maiduguri / 2023: Nigeria's Enemies Against Igbo Presidency - Ohaneze / Top 5 Richest States In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.