Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,334 members, 7,853,505 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:57 PM

FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools (29155 Views)

States With The Most Unqualified Teachers In Primary Schools — Statisense / Has LASU Made Yoruba Language A Compulsory Course For Students? (Fact Check) / 'Making Love': Found In Primary School Book (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by miketayo(m): 1:20pm On Dec 01, 2022
Samantha123:
And I think the best thing for your government to do is to only officiate Yoruba, Hausa, and Igbo as the languages that are going to be used as a tool of instruction in schools and make both the three of them available in all the schools in Nigeria.

Already the three languages are the most popular in your country.

so we will require teachers who are fluent in all 3 languages for all subjects. lmao you are asking for the impossible cheesy
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:23pm On Dec 01, 2022
Armaggedon:
Italian is italy's mother tongue and that is what they speak. You cannot force any one to learn another mother tongue in his own country. If you want to do that, have your own country!

You can force them in a country with different region.

If you don't like what you are fed, you move to a region that you like what is being fed.

There are parts of Italy where French is an official language. And majority are biilingual with both French and Italian. You are forced to learn French there.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:28pm On Dec 01, 2022
yemmit90:

By citing those examples, it is obvious you don't consider "multi- ethnics" nature of Nigeria.

About 90% of those countries you mentioned spoke common languages or have almost 100% common social life and cultural values. The same can't be say about Nigeria. Besides, there is different between formal and informal education. A wise parent or society teaches their citizens informal education in their mother tongue, while former learning can be carry out in various capacities depending on acceptable standard.

And contrary to your opinion, Chinese, Germans, Indians and other non speaking English countries are not better than well fluent English speakers in Nigeria let alone those staying abroad. Kids of these days are very fluent in English because we introduced it to them early especially pupils in private primary schools.

Mother tongue as teaching instruction can only work effectively in a Mono- ethnic nation.

And Nigerian languages are not "acceptable standards" in your colo-head for formal learning.

Now between you Nigerians and the Chinese/Germans/Indians:

1. Who is more productive?

2. Who has more sense of self-worth?

3. Who goes to the other's country and lords over them?

Colomentality is a disease!!!

2 Likes

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BigBashiru: 1:30pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

To a Black reeetarded monkey, the best gift you can give your child is an Oyinbo name that sounds funky and make sure they learn as many oyinbo languages as possible. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

everything is not a joke. perhaps ur white masters are the monkeys...pls refrain from calling blacks monkeys as its not funny.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:30pm On Dec 01, 2022
jydeskill1:
Indians, Chinese and Lebanese struggle to speak English but are far better in social development and technology advancement.

Yeye Lebanese, Chinese and Indians are their Gods in Nigeria.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by BigBashiru: 1:30pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

And Nigerian languages are not "acceptable standards" in your colo-head for formal learning.

well said...
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:31pm On Dec 01, 2022
BigBashiru:

everything is not a joke. perhaps ur white masters are the monkeys...pls refrain from calling blacks monkeys as its not funny.

As daft as people like you are, I will keep on calling you monkeys.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:42pm On Dec 01, 2022
CaptainFM1:
The policy is total rubbish capable of further dividing the country.

If you want to preserve the culture and languages, the 3 main languages as a subject is sufficient. No need to use them to teach Chemistry or Accounting!

Nonsense!

So we should lose Ijaw, Bini, Jukun, Idoma etc.?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:44pm On Dec 01, 2022
tete7000:
These confused people have come again. You teach a child in local language for six years of his/her developmental years, and then continues with English while in secondary school. If you wan use English, use English; if na local language you wan use, use am.

You are the one confused!

Many of the countries you will die to japa to do exactly that or even more and still are successful and produce more useful human beings than you.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:49pm On Dec 01, 2022
JesusSaves49:
This policy is sounding as the beginning to the end of Nigeria.
What a wrong approach in solving the educational problem! This is to cause socioeconomic and security problem.
With over 250 ethnic groups, how can this policy unite the already polarized Nigeria structure.
Please, mark this when the consequences appear.

I really did not know by learning your own mother tongue OR learning the language of the community that hosts you will polarise people.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:50pm On Dec 01, 2022
Moniya4Real:
Not only making it compulsory. They can do better by enforcing it as a core subject- if you don’t pass it, your entire result will be void. Unless that step is taking, pupils and parents won’t take it seriously

Very well said.

You must pass it before being able to enter secondary school.

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 1:54pm On Dec 01, 2022
Yureyes:

That’s your choice. My choice is for my child to learn the official language in the country where he lives. If he lives in France, learn French. If he lives in Portugal, learn Portuguese. If he is in Nigeria, learnt the official language which is English. He shouldn’t be taught someone else’s mother tongue just because it’s their regional language except he chooses to learn it. If Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa was the official language in Nigeria, then we’ll happily learn it.

Your choice?

Well, you have the choice to take your children out of school when the policy is implemented.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 2:11pm On Dec 01, 2022
southsouthking:

Tried searching for the word colomentality on my dictionary but couldn't find it.
What's colomentality?

It is a mentality of inferiority complex that people that have/had been colonised by others have. This mentality spurs them to (1) strive hard to want to be like their coloniser by adopting what the colonisers forced on them (including the negative ones) without any reasoning, (2) it also leads to them trying to show each other that they are like/closer to the colonisers (e.g. naming their kids, dressing, accents, singing etc. like their colonisers) and (3) they worship anything their colonisers do as superior & advanced, even when it is not (e.g. LGBT promotion and nudity in everything).

It is a mentality that erodes and degrades ones own identity, culture, traditions and self-worth overtime. Perpetually making them seen as inferior and subordinates by their colonisers (and others) especially when there is no way they can be 100% accepted as one of the peoples of the colonisers. They are just follow-follow idiots.

The word "Colomentality" was probably coined by Fela or someone in his era.

Go and look at P-Square, Kizz Daniel and the names they gave their kids. That is colomentality!

It is not only Black people that suffer from this disease, Orientals do too. E.g. in Hong Kong, virtually all of them have English first names and would feel it is an accomplishment if their child marries a white person.

Part of our colomentality was evident in the 90s when we had our modern artistes trying to sing like Americans. This even crossed over to the 2000s when Afrobeats began and some wanted to do hardcore, American street rap. These people all failed becuase there is no way they can be 100% accepted as one of the people it originates from.

When we switched to being who we really are in our Afrobeats, see how far we have gone now?

1 Like

Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by OyinO: 2:12pm On Dec 01, 2022
Very very nice. Kudos to the government because most indomie generation children who prefer pidgin English to their native kparakpo will now have the opportunity to learn their Mother's Tongue by force.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Nwakannaya1: 2:20pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

There are actually two options:

1) Make local languages the compulsory languages of instruction.

2) Make it compulsory that each kid (raised in Nigeria) must pass a primary school exam in a local Nigerian language to progress or gain entry into any secondary school in Nigeria.

The second one might even be a better policy in my view. That would provide some sense of equity for those not living in their native land but simultaneously force useless parents to speak their mother tongue to their kids; otherwise they would be funding private lessons for 1 or 2 years, after primary school, for their kid(s) to learn a local language before being able to progress to secondary school.

By force, by force, we go remove that colomentality.

Look at P-Square and go check their children's names. Serious colomentality.

These things aren't as simple as they appear.

We have over two hundred languages in Nigeria and about 1000 dialects, but this isn't the issue as concerns manpower to teach them, the issue is, you can speak a language fluently and still fail it in exam and you and speak a language badly and still pass it in exam.

Teaching a local language is good, but making it a language for instruction is where the problem lies. It means that when you are teaching English, Maths, Science and others to these pupils, you'd use ibibio to teach them English if you're in Akwa ibom.

What then happens if they go to secondary school?
If I'm a Yoruba and find myself in ibibio land, my kids would be forced to learn ibibio so as to understand the subjects being taught.

You see, these things aren't as simple as they seem. My baby schools here in the north, she's taught Hausa as a subject, I don't know how she passes it because she doesn't understand zo, imagine that Hausa language is the language of instruction, she won't understand dot.

I do not know the details of the new policy but it doesn't appear well thought out.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Bobbiee: 2:48pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

Very well said.

But I think it is worth it.

I would rather have segregated schools at primary levels (which would be corrected at secondary) than have a bunch of fellow citizens with inferiority complex all their lives.

Secondly, the segregation will only occur in a few states' cities (like Port Harcourt, Kaduna & Kano) and some states (like Taraba, Adamawa, Nasarawa, Plateau, Kogi, Benue, and all of the South West). Not that damaging.

Do you know that ethnic policies is only going to ruin this country even more than it's already ruined. Let's get over it. We're now a country. Chances are we're never going our separate ways. We should be looking for ways to break down the ethnic barriers rather than put more of it up
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by yemmit90: 3:01pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

Let me start by saying you lack comprehensive skill. Is this the kind of mentality you will carry to compete with outside world?

No one is saying mother tongue language is bad, and should not be adopted, we are only talking about multi- language nature of Nigeria, which made it difficult to chose a particular language as official one.

You saw " depending on acceptable standard " in my post, yet you still feel it appropriate to insult me in your illiterate logic.

If I may ask, what Language do you think Nigeria can make official?

Besides, alot of advance countries made English, Spanish and Dutch their official languages, yet in you narrow mind, you think choosing everything about you make you an advance country.

Even if all you against me don't have sense, at least you should all know those countries using their mother tongue languages are mostly mono- ethnics.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Obansy112(m): 3:34pm On Dec 01, 2022
Does the country even have the curriculum where teachers will use in teaching the various local languages and even the teachers for the policy.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 3:57pm On Dec 01, 2022
Bobbiee:

Do you know that ethnic policies is only going to ruin this country even more than it's already ruined. Let's get over it. We're now a country. Chances are we're never going our separate ways. We should be looking for ways to break down the ethnic barriers rather than put more of it up

Explain to me how it would ruin the country.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by CaptainFM1: 4:01pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

Nonsense!

So we should lose Ijaw, Bini, Jukun, Idoma etc.?

It's not enough to Highlight a problem. Profer a solution if you may pls.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 4:03pm On Dec 01, 2022
yemmit90:

Let me start by saying you lack comprehensive skill. Is this the kind of mentality you will carry to compete with outside world?

No one is saying mother tongue language is bad, and should not be adopted, we are only talking about multi- language nature of Nigeria, which made it difficult to chose a particular language as official one.

You saw " depending on acceptable standard " in my post, yet you still feel it appropriate to insult me in your illiterate logic.

If I may ask, what Language do you think Nigeria can make official?

Besides, alot of advance countries made English, Spanish and Dutch their official languages, yet in you narrow mind, you think choosing everything about you make you an advance country.

Even if all you against me don't have sense, at least you should all know those countries using their mother tongue languages are mostly mono- ethnics.

You are a cretinoous fuccktard!

Who is talking about official language?

By saying primary school students should be taught using local language, that means we are changing the official language, reetard?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2022
CaptainFM1:

It's not enough to Highlight a problem. Profer a solution if you may pls.

You are the one that created a problem where one did not and should not exist.

So explain, we should throw away all other Nigerian languages and focus on only 3?
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by yemmit90: 4:18pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

You are a cretinoous fuccktard!

Who is talking about official language?

By saying primary school students should be taught using local language, that means we are changing the official language, reetard?

Using mother tongue language in a public school of a country with an official language? Did you even read the main article where it was stated they intend to change the curriculum to suit that?

Sagamite, your problems is legendary grin grin
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 4:22pm On Dec 01, 2022
yemmit90:

Using mother tongue language in a public school of a country with an official language? Did you even read the main article where it was stated they intend to change the curriculum to suit that?

Sagamite, your problems is legendary grin grin

You are cretinouus fuucktard!

And so what if "mother tongue is used in a public school of a country with an official language"?

And so what if they change the curricullum, reetard? grin

Your colomentality is digging deep to find a way to resist any change to cure it? grin grin grin grin grin

The virus is fighting had to stay alive in your head? grin

What next is your fooolish argument?

How can they serve local food in a public school of a country with English as official language? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 4:33pm On Dec 01, 2022
Nwakannaya1:

These things aren't as simple as they appear.

We have over two hundred languages in Nigeria and about 1000 dialects, but this isn't the issue as concerns manpower to teach them, the issue is, you can speak a language fluently and still fail it in exam and you and speak a language badly and still pass it in exam.

Teaching a local language is good, but making it a language for instruction is where the problem lies. It means that when you are teaching English, Maths, Science and others to these pupils, you'd use ibibio to teach them English if you're in Akwa ibom.

1. What is your point about ability to speak and ability to pass exams. I don't get it. Be clear.

2. How is it a problem to use local language for instruction?

3. Explain to me what is wrong in using local language to teach English, Maths & Science learnt in primary school. Go ahead.

Nwakannaya1:

What then happens if they go to secondary school?
If I'm a Yoruba and find myself in ibibio land, my kids would be forced to learn ibibio so as to understand the subjects being taught.

You see, these things aren't as simple as they seem. My baby schools here in the north, she's taught Hausa as a subject, I don't know how she passes it because she doesn't understand zo, imagine that Hausa language is the language of instruction, she won't understand dot.

I do not know the details of the new policy but it doesn't appear well thought out.

Did you read well about the policy?

Is primary school same as secondary school?

Who told you there is a plan to use local language at secondary schools?

You have not read the policy but have come to a conclusion it was not "well thought out"?

Jesus is Lord!!! {Hands on head}
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Judolisco(m): 4:34pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

Useless parents!
I'm serious.... Enter Abuja most kids don't even know their tribe
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 4:40pm On Dec 01, 2022
Judolisco:
I'm serious.... Enter Abuja most kids don't even know their tribe

I bet they have English/Arabic names and don't speak their mother tongue.

Parents have wiped out their identity and heritage to replace it with White/Arab wannabe identity.

People the Whites and Arabs will only see as poor imitation of themselves.

Still shocks me seeing Yoruba kids growing up in Lagos and saying they can't speak Yoruba.

Anuofia to their parents!

I can understand a bit for children of people from minority tribes that have like 15,000 speakers and they live in a foreign city; but not for the largest 30 tribes. No fcking excuses!
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by fkj950ax(m): 4:42pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

Resistance to change and continued excuse for colomentality.
It is not rocket science and will not take eternity to produce/translate books to local languages for primary schools.
Reading and writing in a local language for primary school students would not be quantum physics effort.
Teachers will have to now speak local languages AND English to be employed. Good! All those whose parents refused to teach them any local language cannot be teachers. Find another profession.

All you wrote up there is what happens when people make assumptions and sadly, try to use many fancy words and end up saying very little.
FG approves language for teaching instruction.
FG lists two reasons it hasn’t happened.
Someone said those reasons don’t exist.
I expanded on those reasons why it HASN’T (key operative word in the discussion)
You come in through the window and say so much out of context on how you work in NASA and became a quantum physicist and a proponent of change fighting colonialism before becoming Head of Service.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by blaise26abj(m): 4:42pm On Dec 01, 2022
einsteine:

Your last line is a lie.

I was born in a South West town and it is written in my birth certificate but I will never be accepted there no matter how fluent I am in Yoruba. That's Nigeria.

Also, Yoruba language didn't need to be compulsory before I became fluent in it.

The problem with Nigeria is the reliance on orders and compulsions for their policies. An Igbo family in Bariga will find that their children can speak Yoruba and Pidgin without needing any formal instruction.
Are there non Yorubas in state house of assemblies ? Are there non Yoruba ministers in state governments ? Can you buy land and build without anyone harassing you in the south west . What kind of acceptance do you want again ? You can marry a Yoruba lady . You can run your business . You can vote. I don’t understand what you mean by “never accepted “

It is good for teaching . The research is there .
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Sagamite(m): 4:45pm On Dec 01, 2022
fkj950ax:

All you wrote up there is what happens when people make assumptions and sadly, try to use many fancy words and end up saying very little.
FG approves language for teaching instruction.
FG lists two reasons it hasn’t happened.
Someone said those reasons don’t exist.
I expanded on those reasons why it HASN’T (key operative word in the discussion)
You come in through the window and say so much out of context on how you work in NASA and became a quantum physicist and a proponent of change fighting colonialism before becoming Head of Service.

Okay, pele. I misread your own.

NASA brain dey misfire rocket too sometimes.

At least, I neva Ukraine you.
Re: FG Approves Mother Tongue As A Compulsory Language In Primary Schools by Judolisco(m): 4:45pm On Dec 01, 2022
Sagamite:

I bet they have English/Arabic names and don't speak their mother tongue.

Parents have wiped out their identity and heritage to replace it with White/Arab wannabe identity.

People the Whites and Arabs will only see as poor imitation of themselves.

Still shocks me seeing Yoruba kids growing up in Lagos and saying they can't speak Yoruba.

Anuofia to their parents!

I can understand a bit for children of people from minority tribes that have like 15,000 speakers and they live in a foreign city; but not for the largest 30 tribes. No fcking excuses!
most of us r really d cause in my office for example, there are 3 igbo guys they hardly communicate in igbo... They speak pure English... I do tackle them sef...

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

How To Check Admission Status On JAMB CAPS / OZY WORLD Declares Nigeria-Americans Best Educated Ethnic Group In US / UNIZIK 300-level Female Student Dead (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.