Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,316 members, 7,829,760 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About (50886 Views)

Disadvantages Of Living Abroad Or Obodo Oyinbo / Sad Truths About Living Abroad / Nigerian Mentality About Those Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Goodman247: 8:30pm On Dec 01, 2022
Nigerians can be very wicked and mischievous and at d same time religious, what an irony, tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by NoToPile: 8:32pm On Dec 01, 2022
What I find annoying is Nairalanders especially the NID always attack people who have opinions which tend towards not jakpaing why nau, let's read the good the bad and the ugly in peace abeg everybody can't be having it bad abroad, neither can everyone have it good.

Everyone has a story to tell, let them tell it in peace.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Makanaki127: 8:36pm On Dec 01, 2022
There is nothing you will say that will make me to change my mind, because the kind of shege that my eyes have seen this past few months, all what you are saying is child's play

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by worried222: 8:38pm On Dec 01, 2022
tshtsh:

This one is your own. My own is I got PR for canada via express entry and applied for software engineering jobs remotely from Lagos. Landed two and accepted one before I landed. I stayed at a friends house for my first few days sleeping on his sofa till my first salary entered. After I received my first salary (less than two weeks after I landed) I sent 100k to my dad and 100k to my mum. They called to ask me why I'm sending them money when I only just arrived and havent settled down. I moved to an Air bnb that weekend and spent 4 months there. I also got a credit card a day after I arrived with a limit of $4000. I used up the first four months building my credit score and saving. After four months I rented a condo in Toronto for $2000 monthly. My mum retired in February as a civil servant while my dad is much more buoyant than she is. Her pension is barely a little over 100k but I change $450 and send to her monthly. In addition to doing this I'm able to live comfortably and still save 25% of my income monthly. Later this month I'll be going to Nigeria to visit them as I havent seen my parents since I moved here 6 months ago. Anyone that wants to leave nigeria should do their homework and move. Nigerians are doing well in both home and abroad. Make yourself among the ones that do well either at home or abroad. Don't be discouraged by all this negative talk. By the way I'm 31 years old. Some days ago the bank increased my credit limit. I never use more than 10 per cent of my limit hence they probably want to get me to spend more. With good planning, entering the country legitimately (avoid aduro route), proper skills and some luck you'll be alright.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by promzy555(m): 8:39pm On Dec 01, 2022
phr0nesis:

Na wetin me sef de expect to see o, instead na divorce I de see, as if we don't divorce here.

She works 16 hours daily and we work 30 mins daily in Nigeria. Op well done o
seriously I wonder wetin b their gain. D country good na CBN staffs doctors even them they japa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by promzy555(m): 8:40pm On Dec 01, 2022
phemmyfour:
Seems there is an agenda going on to discourage people from japaing...this is the second thread today on FP
anytime I see post like dis I just hate dat person. E nor good for u, them go come back to base nah

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by CodeTemplar: 8:48pm On Dec 01, 2022
Validated:
OP japaed with poor professional background. Abroad is not for everybody. If you studied one humanity course or you do not have atleast a Master degree, you either upscale yourself or remain a factory worker doing 16 hours. In Canada for example you have Chinese, some of the best of India and many eastern Asians. It is not Nigeria that you use kparapo and who you know. It is what you know. So, if you must move, be prepared.
So true. Which mumu will hand his hard earned fund to one third world certified accountant when white guys abound? Only in areas where they are pressed is where one can easily plug in. Areas like medicine, gealth, industry engineering, communication, media.

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by franchasng: 9:06pm On Dec 01, 2022
ednut1:
is cold worse than heat plus mosquitoes angry
cold kill faster than heat.

Mosquito and heat can also be controlled and heat isn't that much in Nigeria.

I have been on both sides and I can comfortably tell you that Nigerian weather is paradise. Aside the cold weather, I see no reason for any focused and hardworking Nigerian that migrated legally abroad to complain.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by cooooooks(m): 9:07pm On Dec 01, 2022
No business in Nigeria is without headache.

All business owners should remember to pay themselves salary o.
rexel99:
OP, allow those that have 'Japaed' or about 'Japaing' to leave in peace. What's all this craze about wanting to get people to truncate their decisions. Yea, its fine to bring some of these negatives to light but its becoming too boring lately. Why una de beef those wey wan go? Let them be, they will learn from whatever experience hits them.

Na all this bad belle make una de where una de. Massive immigration is not limited to Nigerians alone. Ask the Indians, Chinese, Phillipines. We have seen this before and it will keep happening as long as humans seek economic prosperity, social Justice etc.

Its funny how some of you that haven't managed a business in their life or own N100,000 in their bank account talk of how they would invest the millions some of these Nigerians put in to relocating. Do you know the magnitude of Political, Social and Environmental factors that you have to deal with when running your business in Naija. That doesn't mean people don't succeed, but dont make it look like its a walk in the park.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by OdefaGirl(f): 9:09pm On Dec 01, 2022
libertyfather:
Walahi, nothing u wan talk ooooo, all of us dey come

They never see somchin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by cooooooks(m): 9:09pm On Dec 01, 2022
Another day, another topic like this.

If Canada, or abroad, is so bad, come back na.

People should shine their eyes, be conversant of the features of the country they want to go to.

However, for most Nigerians, living abroad (real abroad o), or at the very least, having residence or citizenship, is better than remaining in Nigeria like that.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by olaeffect(m): 9:10pm On Dec 01, 2022
jesmond3945:

My dear these things are subjective. There is no one rule fits all. Many get jobs without canadian experience, many nigerians live in one room and so on. Allow people to take the risk, no guts no glory.

There is this thing they call calculated risk.
It is not every risk that is risk. Some are just misguided foolishness.
One of the very few cases I came across is of a guy that came in on borrowed funds. Landed with next to nothing, with the foolish thinking that the day that he gets to Canada is the day that he will start work.
Thank God that he was lucky to land in a province that had homely Nigerian society that took him in. Hope you know not everyone can be so lucky?

See this japa thing is just like that going to Lagos you see in Nigerian Movies. Hope you know how every suffering village boy in Nigeria movie use to move to Lagos in Nigerian Movies and come back with big, big cars in 6month?
Recently they now use travelling abroad because everyone can easily go to Lagos and confirm that life is not movie.

I believe telling people the risk involved in something will make them take calculated risk. Because me I did ooo. Not withstanding that i had a family members place that I could stay as long as I wanted. I came in with enough money that even my host was wondering how I was always going out to town for fun without asking him for money, despite the fact that I had not started working.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Gipre(m): 9:10pm On Dec 01, 2022
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by mustaphagreens(m): 9:10pm On Dec 01, 2022
olaeffect:

When they always say it. I use to be number 1 to insult them and tell them to come home if they are tired.
Not until I went to Canada, that was when I truly understood that Jesus is Lord.
1. Before coming to Canada, please make sure you are coming in as a legal resident (with work permit)
2. Know right from Nigeria which province you would stay/work; with full information as regards work availability/cost of living.
a. Some provinces/places have very cheap cost of living, but to get work is war.
3. Getting work without Canadian experience is not easy; even if it's a cleaning job.
a. I met and got live testimonies from people (students with complete legal resident documents), that stayed in Canada for 4 to 5 months without securing a job
4. Your most expensive expense is housing. House is f*cking expensive!!! A room in a 4 bedroom flat (with 1 toilet/bath for everyone to use) will cost you average of CAD600.00 monthly minimum.
5. Minimum wage is CAD13.50 do your calculations, noting that their are lawful number of hours you are allowed to work depending on your visa (student visa allowed 40hrs per week)
6. Most landlords/agents/caretakers don't allow squatting (1 bedroom means 1 person in bedroom), not like Nigeria that you can rent a room and bring 3 friends grin
7. Cheaper houses of CAD350 to CAD500.00 at the outskirts of most towns will require you having a car as bus services don't run outskirts.
8. Note that your cost of accommodation may not include utilities. A friend got a nice room for CAD450.00 in town and was excited only for him to get extra bill of CAD250.00 at the end of the months for utility (hydro, electricity, waste, and WiFi) making his total actual monthly rent to be CAD700.00

Please listen to advice and plan well before going so that you will have a good Japa-ing.
But like they say: experience is the best teacher. No matter what people said before, I experienced it before I learn grin

To respond to one of your points:
1. You can come in as a student (i.e. on student visa), but make sure to have your fees and bills sorted or the means to sort them figured out first. Some programs offer scholarships, try to take advantage of that.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 01, 2022
Edusouls:
Failed race of humanity are blacks , always looking for a ready made place for comfort they didn’t contribute to, can’t put things in place for themselves and children, but only breed poverty, suffering and senseless reproduction..
cry...

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by olaeffect(m): 9:23pm On Dec 01, 2022
mustaphagreens:

To respond to one of your points:
1. You can come in as a student (i.e. on student visa), but make sure to have your fees and bills sorted or the means to sort them figured out first. Some programs offer scholarships, try to take advantage of that.

Thank you for this. These are factors people should consider. And people should also know the limitations on their visas.
Some people came into Canada on student visa without knowing that their student visa had a work limit of 40hrs per week, and being on 50% scholarship the guy did not know that he can/will be strictly monitored.
His tuition fee alone was CAD40k with 50% scholarship it came to CAD20k no accommodation, no feeding yet.
2yrs post graduate program (4 semester to pay CAD5k per semester) had only paid CAD2.5k 50% out of 1st semester fee when he landed in Canada with almost zero pocket money.

Simply because he erroneously believe what he sees in Nigerian Movies grin
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by int0x80(m): 9:27pm On Dec 01, 2022
Op, that you are not making it abroad doesn't mean someone else is not making it. I hate all these people doing a low paying jobs and coming here to complain as if all Nigerians abroad are doing the same low pay jobs! Lots of Nigerians are making it abroad, likewise lots of Nigerians are making it in Nigeria. If you were a low wage earner in Nigeria, don't expect to be a millionaire here over night without upgrading your skill sets! It's that simple, a pig is a pig all over the world.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Desusi: 9:34pm On Dec 01, 2022
HRprof:
For those comments above me OP is letting you know the good and bad part of abroad before you Jakpa E get why grin
You guys don’t want to hear the negative part ! Is better to get prepared with reality over there before Jakpa ! Is working country yes, but you pay through your nose to enjoy what the system put in place by their government is not like Nigeria where we bypass almost everything.
They will never tell us how much they have gathered in their account and how big their mansion is at home here.E beru olorun.There's is God oo.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Gipre(m): 9:51pm On Dec 01, 2022
I'm coming back to ask my questions but first, why do people abroad always mention these 2 things as if we in Nigeria don't pay for them

1) PHONE BILLS

2) INTERNET BILLS.

Like seriously, we pay for these here and it's is even more expensive here and it does not even last atall.

10GB Internet data can not even last 2 weeks.
Don't try MTN. Depending on what u do tho.

But abroad, it is better. I want to believe their data is like DSTV Monthly Subscription. Once it's end of the month, you get cut off. But meanwhile, once u subscribe for the month, you can watch all channels anyhow u like.

I want to believe it same with Internet over there. Once they subscribe for internet, they can use anyhow for the month, they can use it till they get cut off by the end of the month. Is it that good?

That is why once they move abroad, over 90% of them quickly open YouTube channel and become Vloggers because their Data is subscription based monthly payment like DSTV, GOtv and Cable TV

That's why most people over there love Video calls, they can video call you for Africa. They can even video call you and leave it on till the next day. It's only the Ugly Nigerians that move abroad that don't video call. Those ones na voice call dem dey do grin

Those ones will call u and be hiding their face. Na ceiling u go dey see. Na u go dey to talk "bro, show ur face now? I no dey see u o. Na ceiling I just dey see o". Dem go respond with "Guy forget that thing. Make we dey talk dey go" grin

But anyways, here in Nigeria, to become a Vlogger is hard because to upload video and do YouTube Live, 5GB wey u manage subscribe for the month don already finish.

Infact to do anything with data, you go dey manage am. Over there, Dem no dey manage data.

The same with Phone bills too. I want to believe it's monthly as well. Unlike here that u keep buying recharge cards that don't last atall
You call 2 people and talk for 30mins, N1000 credit don finish.

I may be wrong but this is what I believe.

I am open to corrections and enlightenment from more experienced abroadians wink

2 Likes

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by Sureboyy(m): 9:56pm On Dec 01, 2022
abobote:
I didn't see any struggle here, and if there's any, it worths it at the end.

I left Nigeria in 2015, I was managing a salary of 35k under Jonathan Government, Buhari enter, the 35k no reach me for one month again, before I know it, baby mama don enter. Na so I japa without informing anybody but my baby Mama, and today there's no regret at all
So chief, which country you japa go? undecided
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by babaowambe: 10:03pm On Dec 01, 2022
Charisco:
Make we get there first, all of una just dey talk rubbish. Is better to suffer once and rest than to keep suffering up and down in this useless country
you are talking rubbish, if you want to travel out of Nigeria, just plan ahead, simple you don't get it do you?
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by chatinent: 10:19pm On Dec 01, 2022
The way I hate witches ehn
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by dododawa1: 10:36pm On Dec 01, 2022
We dey come
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by ogbonti: 11:12pm On Dec 01, 2022
HRprof:
For those comments above me OP is letting you know the good and bad part of abroad before you Jakpa E get why grin
You guys don’t want to hear the negative part ! Is better to get prepared with reality over there before Jakpa ! Is working country yes, but you pay through your nose to enjoy what the system put in place by their government is not like Nigeria where we bypass almost everything.

leave them alone - let all Nigerians get a visa and travel abroad, that’s my prayer - so that they can all come and enjoy heaven on earth that we are enjoying abroad - no be who fit survive go stay? when u no see where sleep - you go shelter - akata rob u, racism slap ya face gamma gamma - no work to do no benefit because the system does not even recognize u are around - dem no dey telli person - dem go beg for self deportation sef dem no go see ticket return home - when they finally make it back to MMA it will be like say dey win lottery

oya make all of ona come we dey wait - for those who fit stay - to God be the glory, but for those wey no fit stay, my small advise be say don’t sell your house to jappa oooo e get why cheesy

goodluck to all of ona

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by ednut1(m): 11:22pm On Dec 01, 2022
kabukabu50:

He is just a lazy person.

Many parts of US get hotter than Nigeria for at least 4 months in the summertime.

Its not seriously cold for more than 3 months of the year even in the coldest areas.
one would think its cold for 11 months
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by kaey10(m): 11:32pm On Dec 01, 2022
This matter be like how Rich man dey tell poor man say money doesn't buy happiness. No matter how the rich man explain the poor no go believe.

Op don talk wetin him wan talk anybody wey get ear make e hear.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by uuzba(m): 11:48pm On Dec 01, 2022
ednut1:
one would think its cold for 11 months
I lived in UK once. Compared to Nigeria, it is cold for 12 months. In their so called summer, when the whites where going about without shirt, and licking ice cream, I was still very comfortable in full long sleeve shirt, trouser and inner vest, without any sweat on my face, or armpit.
For the other months, I put on another heavy jacket untop of this base. And for winter gan-gan, I wore:
2 x inner vest
2 x long sleeve shirt
1 x winter jacket
1 x wool scarf around the neck.
1 x boxer shorts
1 x long Johns (trouser form of singlet)
1 x trouser
2 x wool socks (double socks)
Thick leather shoes/boots with thick rubber soles.
1 x head warmer (wool cap)
1 x felt/wool gloves

This is the complete set everyday for winter, otherwise you just catch pneumonia, cough and die.
Nigerias temperature is 20 to 35 C year round in the South.
UK temperature is - 10 to 25 C year round .
So it will always be cold and terrible for a tropical African like us.
I only opened my room window like 3 or 4 times thoughout the year.

1 Like

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by ContinuousTortu: 11:49pm On Dec 01, 2022
Gipre:
I'm coming back to ask my questions but first, why do people abroad always mention these 2 things as if we in Nigeria don't pay for them

1) PHONE BILLS

2) INTERNET BILLS.

Like seriously, we pay for these here and it's is even more expensive here and it does not even last atall.

10GB Internet data can not even last 2 weeks.
Don't try MTN. Depending on what u do tho.

But abroad, it is better. I want to believe their data is like DSTV Monthly Subscription. Once it's end of the month, you get cut off. But meanwhile, once u subscribe for the month, you can watch all channels anyhow u like.

I want to believe it same with Internet over there. Once they subscribe for internet, they can use anyhow for the month, they can use it till they get cut off by the end of the month. Is it that good?

That is why once they move abroad, over 90% of them quickly open YouTube channel and become Vloggers because their Data is subscription based monthly payment like DSTV, GOtv and Cable TV

That's why most people over there love Video calls, they can video call you for Africa. They can even video call you and leave it on till the next day. It's only the Ugly Nigerians that move abroad that don't video call. Those ones na voice call dem dey do grin

Those ones will call u and be hiding their face. Na ceiling u go dey see. Na u go dey to talk "bro, show ur face now? I no dey see u o. Na ceiling I just dey see o". Dem go respond with "Guy forget that thing. Make we dey talk dey go" grin

But anyways, here in Nigeria, to become a Vlogger is hard because to upload video and do YouTube Live, 5GB wey u manage subscribe for the month don already finish.

Infact to do anything with data, you go dey manage am. Over there, Dem no dey manage data.

The same with Phone bills too. I want to believe it's monthly as well. Unlike here that u keep buying recharge cards that don't last atall
You call 2 people and talk for 30mins, N1000 credit don finish.

I may be wrong but this is what I believe.

I am open to corrections and enlightenment from more experienced abroadians wink

do you know there's a "data cap"?
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by ContinuousTortu: 11:53pm On Dec 01, 2022
nobody is talking about the "rat race" in the western world. hmm.

e no easy to japaa oooo

if you get the funds, you move.

if you no to get funds, move to morocco, cape verde or tanzania to start life

if you no get, stay nigeria, find one biz wey go dey fetch you funds, you fit dey do remote jib dey collect your $$$, nothing do you.

for every one job opportunity in abroad, there are 100 in nigeria.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by uuzba(m): 12:17am On Dec 02, 2022
Gipre:

1) PHONE BILLS

2) INTERNET BILLS.

,,,,,experienced abroadians wink

Internet abroad comes in 2 mandatory flavours.
1. Home internet
2. Mobile phone internet
-
The home internet comes from the modem
The modem is connected to the land line. The land line is connected to the home land phone.
You may not use the home land phone to call, but it's working very well and you must pay a base fee of £20 ~ 30 each month to keep the service active.
Then pay for home internet that is running on top of the home phone line £20 ~ 40 etc for unlimited internet but with very fast speeds like 20 Mbps, 40 or 100 Mbps.
(your Nigerian phone data speed is roughly like 5-10 Mbps on a good day in Lagos. In the East 1kbps (WhatsApp dey hang for there).
That settles home phone and internet every month.

Now for mobile phone, you will typically take out a contract of 12, 18 or 24 months.
They give you latest phone free, but you must pay £20, 30, 40 per month for unlimited calling and texting (SMS). But you must use data for WhatsApp and Twitter, so add small amount on top for data plan it can be 20 GB per month. But remember that once you reach your house, you immediately switch over to your unlimited WiFi internet at home.

So basically abroad people have unlimited internet that is not favouring them. They just force themselves to be doing YouTube and video calls so they will know that at least they are using the internet for something and not wasting it.

But that useless landline phone is there chopping its own steady £30 each month for nothing. And you can't save that money or stop the service otherwise all your internet will just end like that.

£30 + £40 + £30 = £100
£100 x ~N650 = N65,000 per month for phone and internet.

Nna, me sef I go complain O.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by kabukabu50(m): 1:09am On Dec 02, 2022
uuzba:

I lived in UK once. Compared to Nigeria, it is cold for 12 months. In their so called summer, when the whites where going about without shirt, and licking ice cream, I was still very comfortable in full long sleeve shirt, trouser and inner vest, without any sweat on my face, or armpit.
For the other months, I put on another heavy jacket untop of this base. And for winter gan-gan, I wore:
2 x inner vest
2 x long sleeve shirt
1 x winter jacket
1 x wool scarf around the neck.
1 x boxer shorts
1 x long Johns (trouser form of singlet)
1 x trouser
2 x wool socks (double socks)
Thick leather shoes/boots with thick rubber soles.
1 x head warmer (wool cap)
1 x felt/wool gloves

This is the compest set everyday for winter, otherwise you just catch pneumonia, cough and die.
Nigerias temperature is 20 to 35 C year round in the South.
UK temperature is - 10 to 25 C year round .
So it will always be cold and terrible for a tropical African like us.
I only opened my room window like 3 or 4 times thoughout the year.

You are wearing too much bro.

After a while you get used to the cold.

When I first arrived for a couple of years it was harsh.

Now its much better.

Earlier today it was a little cold here,about 15 C and I was out in shorts,sneakers and 1 hoodie.
Re: Japa: Struggles Of Living Abroad No One Likes To Talk About by promzy555(m): 1:25am On Dec 02, 2022
ednut1:
Same repetitive topics and videos. Can you guys just buy a ticket and return home
see me see wahala, taking Panadol for another man's headache

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abia River That Turns Green When Rain Falls (Photos) / Couple Bikes Through ISIS Territory To Prove ‘humans Are Kind’ And Gets Killed / 10 Places In The World Where It Is Daytime 24/7 (no Night For Months)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.