Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,980 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth (41533 Views)

Asari Dokubo’s Flaunting Of Weapons Highlights Inequality Before Nigeria’s Law / Asari Dokubo’s Flaunting Of Weapons Highlights Inequality Before Nigeria’s Law / DSS Warns Against Public Display Of Affluence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by fergie001: 1:46pm On Dec 02, 2022
To show they are not only mandated to protect the government and the state alone, the Directorate of State Services, DSS, routinely issues public security advisories to enable the citizenry play their role in their own security and that of society.

Apart from advisories on possible terror attacks, the Service also harps on the need for upwardly mobile individuals, especially the youth, to desist from the growing fad of reckless display of material wealth so as not to attract the attention of violent criminals, especially kidnappers and armed robbers.

It is common to see young people displaying their fleet of flashy cars, newly completed and luxuriously furnished mansions and raw cash to show they have “blown” (made it). Some get themselves conspicuously videoed spraying bundles of cash at ceremonies and post it to the social media for maximum publicity. Others ask members of the public to drop their account numbers to receive financial windfalls.

Coming at a time that criminality is getting more sophisticated and violent, this fad simply makes no sense. These criminals are always on the watch out for an opportunity to strike. Even if the wealth flaunter adequately secures himself or herself, what about their loved ones who are put at risk?

The unfortunate thing is that what these individuals see as “wealth” is not much in real terms, particularly if they have no sure means of sustaining the income. Many celebrities have flaunted wealth only to turn beggars a few years down the road.

We advise anyone who feels he or she has arrived materially to apply common sense. They should save for the rainy day which is sure to come. They should acquire financial education and invest wisely to secure their future. They should borrow a leaf from accomplished, genuinely wealthy industrialists like Aliko Dangote, Cosmas Maduka, Folorunsho Alakija and others who live humble lifestyles despite their enormous wealth.

It is unfortunate that our law enforcement agencies, especially the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC; the federal and state tax agencies and others, are not doing enough to clamp down on people who display wealth, verify their sources and tax them appropriately.

These agencies must wake up and act. Adequate taxation and moderation of the excesses of citizens are parts of the functions of governance. These wealth advertisers portray the moral rot in society. They unwittingly send the wrong signals, especially to fellow youth to pursue material wealth by all means, thus worsening the crime rates in society.

Those who have actually made it and want to benefit the less privileged ones should emulate singer, David Adeleke (Davido), who once raised N200 million and added N50 million from his pocket which he donated to orphanages around the country.

Let there be sanity.

SOURCE

120 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by oshozondii: 2:28pm On Dec 02, 2022
Good one coming from the DSS.

212 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by slivertongue: 2:38pm On Dec 02, 2022
Yes ooo it attracts criminals. Modesty is the best way to live. Some who 'flaunt' got nothing but make believe.

92 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by apache22b: 2:41pm On Dec 02, 2022
Tinubu is the Grand-Patron of politics in Nigeria.

Now we have shown the useless Obidient's urchins what politics is all about, Peter Obi thinks Nigerians are like his useless gullible Obidient's urchins that takes what ever nonsensical statistics he dishes out from his smelling mouth.

I pity anyone who will cast his vote for a pathological liar like Peter Obi and his useless Obidient's urchins when we have the Great Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the same ballot.

My fellow Nigerians and youths

Please let's all massively and vote our Messiah [b]Bola Ahmed Tinubu [/b]and watch how he'll transform Nigeria and make our lives and generation better again .

125 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by Tunasco4u(m): 2:46pm On Dec 02, 2022
Ok

1 Like

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by Manny21: 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2022
They should just keep quiet. Do they not protect those who possess ill-gotten wealth but go after and harass innocent citizens. Oh, they are tired.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by RestructureNig3: 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2022
Advice Nigerians on how to make money

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by DropsMic(m): 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2022
Is it not Nigerians again. Them go still flaunt their wealth.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by Brendaniel: 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2022
apache22b:

Now we have shown the useless Obidient's urchins what politics is all about, Peter Obi thinks Nigerians are like his useless gullible Obidient's urchins that takes what ever nonsensical statistics he dishes out from his smelling mouth.

I pity anyone who will cast his vote for a pathological liar like Peter Obi and his useless Obidient's urchins when we have the Great Bola Ahmed Tinubu on the same ballot.

Please let's all massively and vote our Messiah Bola Ahmed Tinubu [/b]and watch how he'll transform Nigeria and make our lives and generation better again .

You call Tinubu grand patron of politics in Nigeria and we can see that after 7 years of Buhari's administration his grand patronism brought to Nigerians, if this is what you guys call political expertise then you can as well invite Shekau, Bello Turji and co to become president of Nigeria because the same sorrow, pains, hardship and so on those men have brought is the same thing Tinubu brought with his political expertise and you expect reasonable human beings to vote him.

You guys must be really high on something very dangerous

113 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by NotKnown: 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2022
Tell them o.

Also tell the political elite and their children. Na them do am pass.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by ghiloman28(m): 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2022
Nigerians like oppression they will still not hear

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by buygala(m): 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2022
DSS, please allow them to flaunt and thereafter learn the hard way..

Anyone who isn't wise enough to keep a low profile in present day Nigeria deserves whatever comes to him or her undecided

For dis period wey boys dey down even fully armed Gallant Mopol and Soldiers like flies, na im one Ekuke no gree lay low, come dey gallivant dey find who go kill am angry... Toh.. Pesin wey wan die don meet who ready to kill am grin

Mugu fall.. Guyman chop smiley

If you no wan get sense peacefully, men dey wey go dash you sense violently.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by EFGH: 2:48pm On Dec 02, 2022
K
Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by iLegendd(m): 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2022
That's why it's good to claim to be broke and ugly. You won't have much haters, beggars, gold diggers or criminals triggered.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by sirnewton20: 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2022
Am I the only one who thinks this advise is a deceit? DSS leave blood inside to spit white saliva

1 Like

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by DAYPEN: 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2022
Flaunting your wealth is natural. Well, the reasons are natural. According to Voi (2022) as well as Goenka and Thomas (2020), people who flaunt wealth are either obsessed with those things they flaunt, seeking attention just as a child does, really wish to make themselves believe things are (still) great while reality may be different, or are simply feeling insecure. But, are those not natural?

Moreover, we all love to show off something. Some, beauty. Some, brain. Some, like DAYPEN, their skills. Others, their faith and piety (Ramachandra, 2017). And we all attract the same things regardless of what is shown off: admiration or envy. Now, that is where the message makes good sense.

DSS' admonition recognises the danger of flaunting the wrong thing: money. We are all envious of the rich, those we see as more successful, materially, than we are although no one likes to admit it (Waterloo, 2022). In fact, we all covet their wealth, and would grab it at the slightest chance. Why not? Money apparently rules over the other things which could be flaunted. It is the ultimate. And it is the most transferable....or 'stealable'. To make matters worse, 133million people out of 200million, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (2022), are need - not just want - some of the money in Nigeria. DAYPEN (2022) hypothesizes that people are more likely to admire than envy you for having what they do not think they need; they are also more likely to envy you than admire you for having what they think they need.

The lesson: one cannot but flaunt something. One just have to be aware that the more liquid/transferable the asset, the greater the proportion of have-nots (needy) in the population, the more dangerous it is to flaunt. Nonetheless, the joy of having money, for some, only comes from flaunting it. And that is natural. Some admonition should therefore go to the envious observer too, to double up 'legitly', or gboju (Wisdom, 2022).

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by ShaqFu: 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2022
Hehehe
Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by illicit(m): 2:49pm On Dec 02, 2022
And they should not get fat like one Aisha Buhari....

tongue

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by Ogbodavies(m): 2:50pm On Dec 02, 2022
in summary.. naija citizens should seek their own security, when dey ARRIVE...
wetin kanye,kim n co dey post reach our own people...
Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by DevilSignature: 2:50pm On Dec 02, 2022
cheesy
Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by jericco1(m): 2:50pm On Dec 02, 2022
Lol
Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by Dialpad: 2:50pm On Dec 02, 2022
Fake it till you make it ....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by MuMuOnBail: 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2022
na wa ooo

One of the major reasons, I will advice any one mostly a Nigerian Man, living in Nigeria to avoid showing off his wealth is because of our fellow Nigerian Sister.

Few years go, I flashed few Euros and dollar bills on my Instagram page when I relocated back to Naija and since then, my life as an adulterous & Side-chic fvcking Man have never remained the same.

I have bleeped a lot of pvssies & ladies A*sses that they don't feel tight for my d*ck again.

I have ended up f*cking their Ears and Nose nostril because those are the places that feel more tighter for my d*ck now.

Some days I order my security to tell them that I am not at home and switch off my phones to avoid them coming to fvck the live spirit out of me.
ABUJA Girls too much!!!

Please, be careful guys. Kidnappers and Bandits will be child's play when you encounter Abuja girls, Mostly the once that have bow-legs.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by Damseldammie(f): 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2022
Nothing but truth,

oga DSS! Je kan mo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by adamusuleiman11: 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2022
Interesting.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by halaqasa: 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2022
E be many things walahi
Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by Zeddyzed: 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2022
Excellent advice. I'd also advise anyone to actually read the comments before you start the usual bashing on the government

1 Like

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by ClearFlair: 2:51pm On Dec 02, 2022
apache22b:

Please let's all massively and vote our Messiah [b]Bola Ahmed Tinubu [/b]and watch how he'll transform Nigeria and make our lives and generation better again .

You showed what politics is about abi you showed comedy? Agbado really has a way of messing with minds sha.

Bola Tinubu will be your messiah. Eleribu

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Security Advisory: DSS warns against Public Flaunting Of Wealth by Dididrumz(m): 2:52pm On Dec 02, 2022
smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Twitter Community Amazed By Bukola Saraki’s Interaction With Young Professionals / Tinubu: Our So-called Men Of God Failed In Their Prophesies - Keyamo / Aisha Yesufu: We Rejected Governors, Emefiele’s Moves To Stop EndSARS Protests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.