Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? (27535 Views)

Is It Proper For A Wife To Wear A 'g-string'? Please Help / Traditional Marriage In The Village, Is It Compulsory? / Identical Twin Sisters Die In Car Crash After Leaving Nightclub [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 29, 2011
@op, if u guys have deep conviction about each other, then there is nothing to be scared about during d period before marriage. There is no big deal wearing d same thing if both parents consent. Save urself d drama, at least for peace sake.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by easyon: 4:24pm On Aug 29, 2011
No,it is not compulsory to wear Identical outfits,its just Introduction.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by beethoven: 4:27pm On Aug 29, 2011
Nymph node:

Wear Arsenal jersey on top a very tight skin jeans
GBAM. U fit wear micro-mini sef make ur fiance wear singlet and Baggy jeans. EHHH No forget to tell am say make him sag the jeans well well oooooo, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by nearest(m): 4:31pm On Aug 29, 2011
I Know of a bank worker whose wife to be told him to wear an old shirt and trousers (like a primary school teacher) because she knows her family, if he dresses fine, dey will milk him dry during d traditional wedding.
So my guy, its not compulsory to wear same clothing for introduction, but its also wise u and your wife to be agree on this.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by GMcompere: 4:34pm On Aug 29, 2011
Wear Arsenal jersey on top a very tight skin jeans

Guy whats your problem? Please some of us are still mourning, don't bring football into this thread oh grin grin
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by pinkrex(m): 4:55pm On Aug 29, 2011
beethoven:

GBAM. U fit wear micro-mini sef make your fiance wear singlet and Baggy jeans. EHHH No forget to tell am say make him sag the jeans well well oooooo, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Swaggacious and sexy couple to be grin grin grin grin
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by pinkrex(m): 4:56pm On Aug 29, 2011
nearest:

I Know of a bank worker whose wife to be told him to wear an old shirt and trousers (like a primary school teacher) because she knows her family, if he dresses fine, dey will milk him dry during d traditional wedding.
So my guy, its not compulsory to wear same clothing for introduction, but its also wise u and your wife to be agree on this.  

Can i blame the parents? how can you look so handsome going to marry from a poverty stricken family grin undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Iranoladun(f): 5:26pm On Aug 29, 2011
In my culture (Yoruba), you are not suppose to be so bold as to start sharing same outfit during introduction. So no to same attire. Remember this is probably the first formal meeting between the two families about your intention to get marry.

It is ok during the traditional marriage (what Lagos people call engagement) to wear the same outfit though. I definitely don't know much about other tribe/ethnic
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Aug 29, 2011
How can ppl sit here and say it's not compulsory?

And it's kinda beautiful, imo. If you're queasy about identical cloth just for introduction, what would you be doing at the wedding and evens afterwards?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 29, 2011
Iranoladun:

In my culture (Yoruba), you are not suppose to be so bold as to start sharing same outfit during introduction. So no to same attire.  Remember this is probably the first formal meeting between the two families about your intention to get marry.

It is ok during the traditional marriage (what Lagos people call engagement) to wear the same outfit though. I definitely don't know much about other tribe/ethnic

What are you saying? Which Yoruba culture?

In my Culture (Yoruba), you wear same outfit. . . .starts from introduction, to engagement to wedding.

Unless introduction means, taking boy to parent vice versa, then it's not compulsory. But if Introduction means, family members dey dia, then it's a must. (No really a must, but expected).

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Greenslim: 5:32pm On Aug 29, 2011
wear what you have.

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by armyofone(m): 5:36pm On Aug 29, 2011
girl kabo, nice to have you back here cheesy cheesy cheesy
ki a ma ya were fun awon malenazis  grin
OP
good to wear the same cool as a sign of oneness.

Ileke-IdI:

What are you saying? Which Yoruba culture?

In my Culture (Yoruba), you wear same outfit. . . .starts from intorduction, to engagement to wedding.

Unless introduction means, taking boy to parent vice versa, then it's not compulsory. But if Introduction means, family members dey dia, then it's a must. (No really a must, but expected).
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 29, 2011
armyofone:

ki a ma ya were fun awon malenazis  grin
OP

I feel the ove, the love love, my sister.
eku iikabo mi cheesy

Yes oh, oneness. If I decide I want pink attire, he must compromise. If na purple, he must wear am.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Iranoladun(f): 5:45pm On Aug 29, 2011
@Ileke Idi

'Introduction  ceremony' from a good cultural background in Yoruba land is suppose to be seen as such that you are still perceived to be living and under the control of your parents as a well-brought up girl who is actually seeking the family's consent to go ahead and marry the man or vice versa.  So you wear your own outfit while the man wear his own.  When the family have done their background checks both ways and they have given their nod for the union to progress then you start planning wedding and then it is okay to start buying same wears in preparation for your wedding.

Of course this is no longer applicable in most union nowadays. e.g 'igbalode' Yoruba i.e. Lagos type where girl is already living in bobo's house and have gotten pregnant before the family even know the man. In fact it is the girls parent who will be worrying the girl to bring her 'husband people self grin
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by dayokanu(m): 5:50pm On Aug 29, 2011
armyofone:

ki a ma ya were fun awon malenazis grin
OP

Hmmm
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 29, 2011
Iranoladun:

@Ileke Idi

'Introduction  ceremony' from a good cultural background in Yoruba land is suppose to be seen as such that you are still perceived to be living and under the control of your parents as a well-brought up girl who is actually seeking the family's consent to go ahead and marry the man or vice versa.  So you wear your own outfit while the man wear his own.  When the family have done their background checks both ways and they have given their nod for the union to progress then you start planning wedding and then it is okay to start buying same wears in preparation for your wedding.

Of course this is no longer applicable in most union nowadays. e.g 'igbalode' Yoruba i.e. Lagos type where girl is already living in bobo's house and have gotten pregnant before the family even know the man. In fact it is the girls parent who will be worrying the girl to bring her 'husband people self grin

very true, that's what applies where i come from (I'am Yoruba). They haven't agreed to give him their daughter yet so how can you be wearing the same thing. In my family its a no no at that stage cos they are just meeting his family and vetting them there is nothing like oneness yet o. That is why you notice that if the couple are from different parts the bride 1st wears her own traditional attire at the beginning of the ceremony and only changes into his later after her family has officially handed her over to his family. it signifies that now you're his, if you wear the same attire at the introduction then its like you have already given yourself to him and so what's the point of his family coming to ask your folks for your hand in marriage. Guess these days some people take if for granted that at that stage the family has already accepted. Anyways @ OP, ask your folks what they want you to do. Your Parents will especially Mum will be in the best position to tell you which they prefer

1 Like

Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by armyofone(m): 5:55pm On Aug 29, 2011
grin grin grin
wetin be ya own sef, bawo ni now

dayokanu:

Hmmm
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 29, 2011
Iranoladun:

@Ileke Idi

I understand your point. I think you may be right. If two people have not introduced their spouse-to-be to their parents, then color code is not necssary. However, correct me if you may, I think that introduction is when both side of the family come together to witness the couples display their affection and want of marital bond to each other. Then color code is necessary to show unification.

I guess each to his own. I've seen Yoruba couples with identical color code during introduction.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by dayokanu(m): 6:13pm On Aug 29, 2011
armyofone:

grin grin grin
wetin be ya own sef, bawo ni now

I see you have already started planning our own wedding
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Jarus(m): 6:18pm On Aug 29, 2011
Absolutely not compulsory.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by ragdollz: 6:19pm On Aug 29, 2011
Huh?! When some boyfriend and girlfriend are already wearing matching attire to some occasions. . . Anyway it depends on the situation - some couples can and some won't. But I agree with the opinion that says it looks too "forward" for a couple to wear matching costumes to the introduction, save it for the traditional wedding wink
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Sagamite(m): 7:41pm On Aug 29, 2011
Compulsory by whom?

Who gave the orders?

God?

You don't know what makes you happy?

Bleep Lawd.

I tend to only follow sensible rules or my own rules.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 29, 2011
must we always follow the dogmatic ways things are done?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by tpia6: 7:47pm On Aug 29, 2011
/
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Tolulop001(f): 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2011
tpia*:

it would be seen as being a bit forward, since the couple arent supposed to be the center of attention at the meeting.

it's for the parents to be formally introduced to each other.

GBAM! i no fit shout.
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by DisGuy: 8:08pm On Aug 29, 2011
Iranoladun:

@Ileke Idi

'Introduction  ceremony' from a good cultural background in Yoruba land is suppose to be seen as such that you are still perceived to be living and under the control of your parents as a well-brought up girl who is actually seeking the family's consent to go ahead and marry the man or vice versa.  So you wear your own outfit while the man wear his own. [b] [color=#000099]When the family have done their background checks both ways
[/b]and they have given their nod for the union to progress then you start planning wedding and then it is okay to start buying same wears in preparation for your wedding.

Of course this is no longer applicable in most union nowadays. e.g 'igbalode' Yoruba i.e. Lagos type where girl is already living in bobo's house and have gotten pregnant before the family even know the man. In fact it is the girls parent who will be worrying the girl to bring her 'husband people self grin[/color]

I have always wanted to ask, what is this background check? how is it done?
they want to find out if there's a curse on the family or employment history and credit reference ?
Do they get people to find past girlfriends and babymama?
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by tpia6: 8:10pm On Aug 29, 2011
/
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Iranoladun(f): 8:39pm On Aug 29, 2011
@Dis guy
Background checks include all you have mentioned plus if the guy/gal is from a good family with good name/reputation in the society, if they are related, if there are objections from any family member and reason for such objections, if they are compatible (some check with Ifa priest, pastor or Alfa).

However, nowadays as I said earlier things have change. The intending couple don't give an average Yoruba parents enough regard or time for all these checks to be conducted before they start sleeping together living together, sharing/wearing Aso Ebi so introduction or marriage has become only a mere rubber stamp
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by eggo: 9:54pm On Aug 29, 2011
no its not compulsory o!!!
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Scooby1(m): 10:50pm On Aug 29, 2011
Poster, try this outfit ur inlaws go like am grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by Chidoxyl(m): 11:12pm On Aug 29, 2011
On Introduction Day? Y wear d same outfit? Me think wearing d same outfit is absurd cos Introduction is not Engagement. Your Introduction day is a day appointed 4 your family members 2 meet d lady's family members in their home & make your intention 2 marry their daughter known 2 them. It is also a day dat could be termed as your first official visit 2 your would-be inlaws.

Now, y come 2 make your intention 2 marry my daughter known 2 me wen both U & my daughter are already wearing d same outfit? Do U not understand that wearing d same outfit means U guys are already running things. So, if U both are already running things, wat then becomes d essence of d Introduction?

Now listen. Once I see U guys dressed dis way, I take it 2 be an INSULT to d lady's family (my family as d lady's father). And me seeing it as an insult could lead me 2 taking a very unpleasant decision.

Hence, wearing Identical outfits For Introduction should not even be an option 2 d 2 'unknown families', talk-less of being compulsory!
Re: Is It Compulsory To Wear Identical Outfits For Introduction? by leggoo(m): 11:40pm On Aug 29, 2011
I see the wearing of matching clothing at every given opportunity to be a good sign of unification. It's good at introduction, just something simple together not too flashy. Or at least wear the same color. Just look like you're "together". Some thing must identify you two together. Just what I think anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

75years old seeks divorce over sexual starvation and adultery / Looking For My Brothers And Sister In Osun Or Kano State / 'if My Father-in-law Buy My Wife A New Range Rover, I Will Feel Disrespected'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.