Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,296 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State (11118 Views)

Osun, Ogun And Oyo States Joins Lagos To Declare 12 June Public Holiday / Nigeria Floods Brings Crocodiles And Hippos Into Homes / Floods In Ibadan Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by gokuu(m): 9:55pm On Aug 27, 2011
Floods Sacks Oyo State, Ibadan Goes Underwater, Ajimobi Is Abroad!

Heavy downpour again in oyostate as floods sweep through oyo state, IB is almost submerged! Eleyele, poly road, apete, agbowo UI area, odo ona apata, oluyole industrial have all gone under water, countless number of people are dead and hundreds missing! Ajimobi is not in the country, he went to saudi arabia, deputy governor is calling on neighbouring states to come to the rescue! A helicopter has been deployed to rescue some people trapped in the flood! Please, ogun, osun, oyo, ekiti, lagos HELP!
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Sunofgod(m): 9:58pm On Aug 27, 2011
Tinubu - have your jets arrived?

If so, please depatch them on rescue missions.

Thanks,
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by coogar: 10:00pm On Aug 27, 2011
gokuu:

Heavy downpour again in oyostate as floods sweep through oyo state, IB is almost submerged! Eleyele, poly road, apete, agbowo UI area, odo ona apata, oluyole industrial have all gone under water, countless number of people are dead and hundreds missing! Ajimobi is not in the country, he went to saudi arabia, deputy governor is calling on neighbouring states to come to the rescue! A helicopter has been deployed to rescue some people trapped in the flood! Please, ogun, osun, oyo, ekiti, lagos HELP!

post pictures so we can know how serious this looks. . . .
flood sacks ibadan? what exactly do you mean by that?
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by tpia5: 10:07pm On Aug 27, 2011
pictures and links plz?
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by tpia5: 10:08pm On Aug 27, 2011
found this:

Many feared dead, properties destroyed in Ibadan flood

A six-hour rain pounded the city of Ibadan, the Oyo State capital on Friday destroying properties worth several hundreds of millions of naira.

Scores of people, including children, were also reportedly killed by the flood generated across several areas of the city.

While many vehicles were sub merged in the flood, many families were displaced. The flood wrecked havoc most at Onipepeye section of Old Ife Rd, Oke Ayo, Yemetu, Bodija Estate, Olomi, Eleyele, Apete and Odo Ona-Elewe.

The downpour, which started around 5pm, also triggered traffic snarls in virtually all major areas of the city. The traffic lasted till 1am when travellers managed to navigate through Iwo road, Old Ife Road and Oyo Road.

The Deputy Governor of the state, Chief Moses Alake-Adeyemo went round the affected spots yesterday and pledged a quick response to the catastrophe.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news-update/17438-many-feared-dead-properties-destroyed-in-ibadan-flood.html

Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by tpia5: 10:11pm On Aug 27, 2011
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by tpia5: 10:12pm On Aug 27, 2011

Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by tpia5: 10:13pm On Aug 27, 2011
isnt this a hurricane?
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by coogar: 10:13pm On Aug 27, 2011
i trust tpia to fish something out. . . .

but is this ibadan?
when did ibadan become this neat and tidy?
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by tpia5: 10:14pm On Aug 27, 2011
The rain that fell from Friday evening till the early hours of Saturday left sorrow and tears and losses in its trail. Scores of people were reportedly swept away by the resultant flood while a lot of houses have collapsed.

With the collapse of the bridge linking the Awotan-Apete axis to the remaining part of Ibadan, the area seems to have been cut off. Same goes for the Oluyole Estate extension area. The bridge at Oluyole extension too gave way cutting the extension area off from the other part of the industrial estate. That apparently resulted from the overflowing of the stream over which the bridge passed. Electricity poles littered the ground on Alaafin Avenue while the intensity of the flood seemed to be greater in the neighbouring Oke Ayo area. One of the residents of the Oke Ayo who spoke to Street said “we have been outside since midnight, a section of our house has collapsed, the remaining part is shaking and it can collapse anytime.” While lamenting her family’s new state of homelessness, the lady also disclosed that one of her neighbours tried to wade through the flood with her two children and grandchildren, she disclosed that as at then, they had not been accounted for.

Odo Ona, on Apata Road seemed to be worse than Oke Ayo as many buildings were completely covered by water. A number of people were also reportedly lost to the flood. The damage done to the road also caused traffic jams all around the area.

Some Polytechnic Ibadan students who spoke to Street Journal disclosed that they escaped being swept away just by a stroke of luck. One of them disclosed that the Apete Bridge collapsed less than a minute after they passed. One of them even confirmed that there were about ten people on the bridge when it fell and till now, none of them has been found.

In Odo Ona Elewe, it was reported that some people had to climb trees to escape the flood.

A trip round Ibadan showed that from Iwo Road to Challenge, Oluyole Estate, Eleyele, Odo Ona and Apata, people are still counting their losses
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by aljharem3: 10:15pm On Aug 27, 2011
coogar:

i trust tpia to fish something out. . . .

but is this ibadan?
when did ibadan become this neat and tidy?

what do you mean?
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by aljharem3: 10:16pm On Aug 27, 2011
na wa o hope the governor would something about this when he gets back

but really, this is another avoidable incident
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by coogar: 10:16pm On Aug 27, 2011
alj_harem:

what do you mean?

i meant exactly what i typed.
ibadan used to be the dirtiest city in the third world, no?
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by aljharem3: 10:21pm On Aug 27, 2011
coogar:

i meant exactly what i typed.
ibadan used to be the dirtiest city in the third world, no?

i like that word use to be, moreover what are u doing in the dirtiest city in the third world
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Beaf: 10:50pm On Aug 27, 2011
This is really sad and the worst thing is that it happens year in year out. We need to find a permanent solution, or at least a framework to guide against floods turning to disasters.
May the souls of the dead rest in peace.
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Kobojunkie: 11:02pm On Aug 27, 2011
Hurricane in Oyo State?

Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Pukkah: 11:13pm On Aug 27, 2011
This is sad. Major steps must be taken to stop the flood that ravages Ibadan from time to time.
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by tpia5: 11:23pm On Aug 27, 2011
seems there was a flood in june also.
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by jmaine: 11:29pm On Aug 27, 2011
Sad episode
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by nolongTing: 11:33pm On Aug 27, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Hurricane in Oyo State?

"Scores of people, including children, were also reportedly killed by the flood generated across several areas of the city."

You better remove that laughing gif  before you get a serious lyrical beatdown you will never forget - f.u.cking a.s.s.h.ole!
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Kobojunkie: 12:03am On Aug 28, 2011
nolongTing:

"Scores of people, including children, were also reportedly killed by the flood generated across several areas of the city."

You better remove that laughing gif  before you get a serious lyrical beatdown you will never forget - f.u.cking a.s.s.h.oel!

This from a major (see highlighted) whose family must be full of them (see highlighted) for you to think you everyone else is like em(see highlighted).

Yes, don't focus on those who voted the man in -- attack me . . . I am the one RESPONSIBLE for the dead you PRETEND to be concerned about . . . ROFLMAO!!! And you are meant to be one of the so-called educated youths of that country. ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by coogar: 12:46am On Aug 28, 2011
Kobojunkie:

This from a major (see highlighted) whose family must be full of them (see highlighted) for you to think you everyone else is like em(see highlighted).

Yes, don't focus on those who voted the man in -- attack me . . . I am the one RESPONSIBLE for the dead you PRETEND to be concerned about . . . ROFLMAO!!! And you are meant to be one of the so-called educated youths of that country. ROFLMAO!! grin cheesy grin grin cheesy grin cheesy

kobojunkie, that laugh was uncalled for.
if any member of your family was washed away by the flood, i doubt you would be here rolling on the floor at the expense of other people's miseries.
sometimes i think you don't function with a brain at all. laughing at the death of young children is a new depth of idiocy from you.

keep it up!
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Kobojunkie: 12:51am On Aug 28, 2011
coogar:

kobojunkie, that laugh was uncalled for.
if any member of your family was washed away by the flood, i doubt you would be here rolling on the floor at the expense of other people's miseries.
sometimes i think you don't function with a brain at all. laughing at the death of young children is a new depth of idiocy from you.

keep it up!

You know what . . .  make sure you function with a brain yourself before you go checking if others do.

So because you are in MOURNING(not like you are not one of those who continue to ALLOW all this continue in the first place) does not mean we should all be in pretend gloomy mode with you. See mor-onic reasoning for pete's sake!!! Now run along and go fix yourself up a brain before you loose what you have there holding you up temporarily!
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by aloyemeka2: 12:58am On Aug 28, 2011
alj_harem:

na wa o hope the governor would something about this when he gets back

but really, this is another avoidable incident

It is not avoidable because it is a natural disaster. I may be one of the people who criticize Nigerian govt but I don't do it blindly. Ajimobi staying abroad during the disaster is just coincidental just like Obama was out of DC during the earthquake. You guys should face the real issue biting Nigeria and stop these petty complaints.
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by coogar: 1:01am On Aug 28, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You know what . . .  make sure you function with a brain yourself before you go checking if others do.

you are a consummate tool.

So because you are in MOURNING(not like you are not one of those who continue to ALLOW all this continue in the first place) does not mean we should all be in pretend gloomy mode with you. See mor-onic reasoning for pete's sake!!!  Now run along and go fix yourself up a brain before you loose what you have there holding you up temporarily!

you have not addressed my hypothesis. . . .
if your father was among the victims washed away by the flood, would you not be in a gloomy mode as we speak?
you obdurate w@nker? why do you always roll on the floor laughing? are you spineless?
as old as you are - all you do is roll on the floor like a cretinous vermin high on opiates. . . . .if you marry a tool like you, you will produce airheads.
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Kobojunkie: 1:04am On Aug 28, 2011
coogar:

you are a consummate tool.

you have not addressed my hypothesis. . . .
if your father was among the victims washed away by the flood, would you not be in a gloomy mode as we speak?
you obdurate w@nker? why do you always roll on the floor laughing? are you spineless?
as old as you are - all you do is roll on the floor like a cretinous vermin high on opiates. . . . .if you marry a tool like you, you will produce airheads.

That your father/mother probably called you a (insert above highlighted), does not then mean everyone else is like you

Like I had on here earlier 

. . .  make sure you function with a brain yourself before you go checking if others do.

So because you are in MOURNING(not like you are not one of those who continue to ALLOW all this continue in the first place) does not mean we should all be in pretend gloomy mode with you. See mor-onic reasoning for pete's sake!!!  Now run along and go fix yourself up a brain before you loose what you have there holding you up temporarily!

P.S: Every second, at least 20 people die on this planet . . . . . unless you are going to tell us next that you exist in a constant state of gloominess as a result, I suggest again, you go go get your brain wherever you dropped it(assuming you had one to begin with)!
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by coogar: 1:14am On Aug 28, 2011
Kobojunkie:

That your father/mother probably called you a (insert above highlighted), does not then mean everyone else is like you
Like I had on here earlier 

they did not call me such. . . .cos i don't roll on the floor laughing. . . .

. . .  make sure you function with a brain yourself before you go checking if others do.

if you make a poll, majority will agree my brain cells are functional .
the same people would pronounce you brain dead.

the fact that you are repeating yourself subconsciously proves you are suffering from creeping neurosis.
no one is asking you to be gloomy, and neither should you laugh hysterically. do people's deaths give you org[i]a[/i]sm? are you by chance necrophiliac?

P.S: At least 20 people die somewhere around the world each second . . . . . unless you are going to tell me next that you exist in a constant state of gloominess as a result, I suggest again, you go go get your brain wherever you dropped it!

this kobojunkie is a tool. . . . . .so because 20 people die in the world per second now means you should laugh?
dang it. . . . . certain pills musta been prescribed when you were feeding via placenta. you are mentally unstable. look at her argument - we all know people die every second but the least you could do is to be sober your own countrymen have died in a natural hazard. a rare occurrence in that part of the world - and all you could do is to laugh?

you are a disgrace to the hamlet that bore you. shame on your lineage!
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Kobojunkie: 1:21am On Aug 28, 2011
Back to discussion before the many attempts to introduce the ridiculous  . . . .
Kobojunkie:

Hurricane in Oyo State?

Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by coogar: 1:22am On Aug 28, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Back to discussion before the many attempts to introduce the ridiculous  . . . .

indolent twit!
you are a lost cause.
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by bashydemy(m): 3:20am On Aug 28, 2011
I can see PDP at work in SW trying to pull ACN Government down
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Kobojunkie: 3:23am On Aug 28, 2011
PDP to blame for this still?? Come on!!!

Anyways, the rains are not over yet. Plus, I believe the state have a couple more years of this man to deal with. So, buckle up everyone . . . there is probably still more to come!!
Re: Floods In Ibadan And Oyo State by Nobody: 3:23am On Aug 28, 2011
the government needs to pay attention to our drainage system and enforcement of laws that restrain people from dumping refuse improperly. like Beaf said, why must this happen every year? don't we learn from the past? According to a Yoruba adage , a youngster looks at the front when he fells and an elder looks at the back when he fells (pardon me, o ye the elders in the house).  we should learn from experience.  can you imagine, the flood claimed the life of a medical doctor and his family. This recurrent loss of lives and properties is avoidable.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2015: I’m Qualified To Run –jonathan / We Are Ready To Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage – PDP Governors / Governor Udom Emmanuel Wins At Tribunal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.