Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

Is The Uk A Democracy? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Is The Uk A Democracy? (1874 Views)

A Disturbing Story On Muslim Girls In The UK - A Must Read / The UK Legalises Same-Sex Marriage / Unidentified Man Falls From Sky In The UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Uk A Democracy? by narttis1: 3:16pm On Aug 28, 2011
Queen Elizabeth II has reigned for over five decades. The ''Head of state'' of the UK is the Queen, the chief of armed forces of the UK is the queen.These facts raises the question, is the UK a democracy?If the queen has reigned for over 50yrs, what moral right does she, the chief of armed forces of the UK, have to remove a 40yr ''dictator'' of another country in the name of democracy?I dont get it.I know there are knowledgeable people in the house who can give meaningful answers. please help.
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by Afam4eva(m): 3:23pm On Aug 28, 2011
They'll tell you that the queen is a ceremonial head of state and has no executive powers like Ghadaffi. The prime minister is the head of the government. But correct me if I'm wrong, the queen has the power to remove the prime minister, right?
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by Beaf: 3:24pm On Aug 28, 2011
^
The Queen can only sack her own staff.

@topic
The Queen is the titular Head of state, while the Prime Minister is the true Head of State. The Queens position is purely ceremonial, she takes no part in law making which is the function of Parliament.
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by narttis1: 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2011
she is the chief of armed forces of the uk which means she authorised the british army to be part of the NATO assault on libya.i think this hipocrisy at its peak
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by Russialane(m): 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2011
the queen is only interested in collecting your hard earned wages in form of tax[b] owo iya charlie[/b]
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by lannre(m): 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2011
diplomatic madness
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by abohrandy: 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2011
u don ever hear say uk dey do elections for president or house of reps?
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by ak47mann(m): 4:52pm On Aug 28, 2011
poster
I think u are right,
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by AbujaBlue: 7:59pm On Aug 31, 2011
@narttis1

Her 'command' of the armed forces is only ceremonial, just as her role of the Head of State is. There is no hypocrisy involved here. As Beaf says the Prime Minister has all the power, including that of NATO involvement.
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by preselect(m): 3:38am On Sep 02, 2011
the queen does nothing. absolutely nothing with regards to policy. even the queen's speech which is read at the opening of the parliamentary year is written by the prime minister. she just reads it.
her other duty is to sign whatever law parliament passes. she cant even veto them. in theory she can veto, but in practice she never does(actually she cant).

so the english royal family ist just there for show. and the show is enjoyable sha. tuorists come from all over the world to see them, as we saw at the last royal wedding
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by Nobody: 5:56am On Sep 02, 2011
When france was fighting against monarchies and hegemony in europe and canvassing for human rights and democracy,was it not same britain that sabotaged the Napoleonic war ? Y'all need to go back to history,Britain is not democratic but a constitutional monarchy !
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:33am On Sep 05, 2011
narttis1:

Queen Elizabeth II has reigned for over five decades. The ''Head of state'' of the UK is the Queen, the chief of armed forces of the UK is the queen.These facts raises the question, is the UK a democracy?If the queen has reigned for over 50yrs, what moral right does she, the chief of armed forces of the UK, have to remove a 40yr ''dictator'' of another country in the name of democracy?I dont get it.I know there are knowledgeable people in the house who can give meaningful answers. please help.

poor you

for minute least forget about the queen

do UK hold elections for MPs and Prime minister ? yes they do thats democracy for you no one is killed or harassed for supporting the opposition

howmany prime minister have been there seen the queen came to the thrown where they hand picked by queen ? no elections were held and the people voted for them

the MPs are voted by the public are the ones who changes laws etc the queen has no right to change/making of the law

pliz dont show your igorance reseach if you are not sure of how the system of a certain country works
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by norrisman: 8:43pm On Sep 10, 2011
Someone raised a very important point which got me thinking.

Presently, the longest serving MP is Peter Tapsell. He has been in parliament continuosly since 1966 plus an earlier 2 year stint from 1962 to 1964. Thats a total of 47 years. This is longer than Gaddafi had been in power. Is this really democratic?
Re: Is The Uk A Democracy? by preselect(m): 3:58am On Sep 13, 2011
norrisman:

Someone raised a very important point which got me thinking.

Presently, the longest serving MP is Peter Tapsell. He has been in parliament continuosly since 1966 plus an earlier 2 year stint from 1962 to 1964. Thats a total of 47 years. This is longer than Gaddafi had been in power. Is this really democratic?

as long as they keep reelecting him, it's democracy. The youngest prime minister, William Pitt( the younger) ruled for over 27yrs.
As long as they are not rigging the election, it's democracy. Who elected gaddafi?

(1) (Reply)

Gadaffi Was Found Hiding In A Drainage Pipe And Shot By His Own Men / Iran Official Calls China's Coronavirus Numbers A 'bitter Joke' / Putin’s Stunning Revelations About New Russian Weapons Systems ( It's Over)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.