Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

Why Does God Allow Evil ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Does God Allow Evil ? (5014 Views)

Why Did God Allow The Holocaust / "Why Does God Allow Evil?" / Why Does God Allow Satan To Influence Mankind? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Image123(m): 6:30pm On Aug 31, 2011
So you'd say you're embarrassed?
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by thehomer: 6:33pm On Aug 31, 2011
Image123:

So you'd say you're embarrassed?

I'm feeling embarrassed for you because it seems you do not understand what you're saying. Why don't you let us know if you think sickness is a form of evil.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Image123(m): 10:22pm On Aug 31, 2011
@thehomer
You're embarrassed. Good! At last we have something in common. i'd also be embarrassed if i was found lying and unable to defend my false accusations. Again, kindly quote
where i said that God
created sickness, or that
God did not create
sickness. Do that or keep mute and move to another point.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by vescucci(m): 11:04pm On Aug 31, 2011
@topic. God allows evil cuz His existence may be redundant without it. Plus it would be hella boring without evil. Almost all the fun stuff is evil. Plus He gets first call on what is evil anyway. Just some thoughts
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 12:54am On Sep 01, 2011
Evil and Good are subjective terms which find their definition in original purpose / intents.

Original purpose / intent can only be defined by the prime mover of all, here referred to as God.

In other words, PURPOSE is why something is good or evil.

"Good" is defined by Purpose, which is only defined ab initio by the prime mover, God who exists outside of time and event and their purposes.

God exists outside the subjection of creation to "good" and "evil" confines.

What is evil to you might be good on God's overall grand scheme; and vice versa.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 12:55am On Sep 01, 2011
As I said recently,

"Even Satan is surely serving a purpose. Manufacturing calls it Quality Assurance and Control. He is being rebellious to God, but meanwhile God is using him to achieve useful ends anyway. God does as he pleases, He is the artist and dictates what the artwork is."
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 1:55am On Sep 01, 2011
By setting a standard for right, one automatically and simultaneously creates a standard for failure of right; which is wrong.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by vescucci(m): 2:04am On Sep 01, 2011
Dizzy. I need to sit down
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 2:13am On Sep 01, 2011
@vescucci:

Lol. Imagine you are a top-notch college prof. You lecture the class, show examples, do labs if any, spend time counselling, you do ALL that is within your power to do to make them make the best of the class.

Believe it or not, from the moment you stepped into that class for the first time you have created FAILURE as well as SUCCESS, by pre-defining the standards.

Whatever happens from that moment of initialization will not only depend on you, but also the students, and the events in which they will find themselves with relation to the class.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 11:09am On Sep 01, 2011
Dulcet7:

The Buddha likened some religious questions to a man shot with an arrow who looks around[b] to see who shot him[/b], then said the man will die with his injury as he is asking the not-so-important question instead of just treating himself.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by wordtalk(m): 11:41am On Sep 01, 2011
InesQor:

As I said recently,

"Even Satan is surely serving a purpose. Manufacturing calls it Quality Assurance and Control. He is being rebellious to God, but meanwhile God is using him to achieve useful ends anyway. God does as he pleases, He is the artist and dictates what the artwork is."

Well, people should be very careful in drawing analogies. I don't see the correllation between rebellion and 'quality assurance and control' - for why then should the other be punished for providing the quality assurance in order to serve "useful ends"?

Let's just be careful - not all quips and quotes make good sense. It's just like one that says 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me' - and you begin to wonder why many people react violently for a few words spoken to them.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 11:46am On Sep 01, 2011
wordtalk:

Well, people should be very careful in drawing analogies. I don't see the correllation between rebellion and 'quality assurance and control' - for why then should the other be punished for providing the quality assurance in order to serve "useful ends"?

Let's just be careful - not all quips and quotes make good sense. It's just like one that says 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me' - and you begin to wonder why many people react violently for a few words spoken to them.

I never mentioned any correlation between rebellion [/b]and [b]quality assurance and control.

Why not ask what I intended before drawing your deductions?  undecided

Most of my posts are geared at making the reader ask questions, and not intending to [b]grant [/b]them answers like I know everything.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 12:03pm On Sep 01, 2011
These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
- Jesus in John 16:33 (KJV)

I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace and confidence. In the world you have tribulation and trials and distress and frustration; but be of good cheer [take courage; be confident, certain, undaunted]! For I have overcome the world. [I have deprived it of power to harm you and have conquered it for you.]
- Jesus in John 16:33 (Amplified)

(1) Why was Jesus tempted of the devil in the wilderness[i] and also in the same token as we are, yet without sin (Heb 4:15)[/i]?
Was it, or was it not, a form of Pre-ministerial (Initial) Quality Assurance, and Continuous (i.e. Control) Quality Assurance of faith respectively?

(2) Jesus in turn promises us that we will have tribulations and trials and distress and frustration. BUT he asks us to be courageous because he has overcome.
Does this (or not) indicate Quality Assurance (of faith)?
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 12:19pm On Sep 01, 2011
In my understanding, "in spite of" Satan's rebellious deeds, his devious actions are put into good use by God, who is never taken by surprise and wastes nothing, while He bides time until the end when He will put an end to evil.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Tonyet1(m): 3:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
@Hi Image123,

Now you see how we contradict ourselves sometimes?. . . like seriously is this image123 saying all these on this thread?

Well I'll rest my peace until you reply  undecided but before i do maybe this thread could help refresh memories

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-651586.0.html
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Tonyet1(m): 3:21pm On Sep 01, 2011
@ Poster,

God allows evil because it was written as part of the script by the Grand Puppeteer for the Grand Puppeteer himself.

and to wordtalk,

learnt you are Viaro - welcome back!
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Image123(m): 4:05pm On Sep 01, 2011
Tonye
Sorry 'bout your dad. Hope all is well. What has been said here doesn't contradict what was said earlier. There's no puppeteering whatever at play. i guess you did not comprehend, sorry.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by thehomer: 5:52pm On Sep 01, 2011
Image123:

@thehomer
You're embarrassed. Good! At last we have something in common. i'd also be embarrassed if i was found lying and unable to defend my false accusations. Again, kindly quote
where i said that God
created sickness, or that
God did not create
sickness. Do that or keep mute and move to another point.

Wow. You don't even understand the implications of your own statements. You have to understand that when you speak, what you're implying also comes into play. It is commonly accepted that sickness is considered evil in Christianity. If you think sickness isn't considered evil then simply say so.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Image123(m): 11:24pm On Sep 01, 2011
homer
You should do what I asked or keep mute and move to another point. i can imagine your embarrassment sha. Next time, don't lie, just stick to the 'syllabus'.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by thehomer: 12:01am On Sep 02, 2011
Image123:

homer
You should do what I asked or keep mute and move to another point. i can imagine your embarrassment sha. Next time, don't lie, just stick to the 'syllabus'.

It is now clear to me that you have no idea of what you're trying to talk about. My simple question to you is this, do you consider sickness to be evil? You really need to stop embarrassing yourself this way. That is what makes me feel embarrassed for you since you appear to lack the insight to feel it.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by EvilBrain1(m): 12:32am On Sep 02, 2011
The God of the old testament either doesn't exist or is pure evil and unworthy of worship. I don't believe in the supernatural myself, but reading the old testament has made feel some sympathy for Lucifer the fallen angel. Sure, the guy rebelled, but can you blame him? If I was an angel, I would have done the same thing, probably right after "the merciful god" ordered the massacre of the Egyptian firstborns (Forget it, I'm not killing a bunch of babies for you, Lord. Go and do it yourself you sick f;uck!)

Rebellion is the only rational response to a tyrant. Ask Ghaddafi.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Nobody: 12:46am On Sep 02, 2011
^^^^

But how can you understand the bible from a spiritual perspective and hence in the right context , when you are void of the Spirit of GOD undecided

You will just end up aggravating yourself and getting all worked up.

Humble yourself and be ye saved and believe.

Then you shall begin to understand great truths.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Nobody: 1:00am On Sep 02, 2011
Evil Brain:

The God of the old testament either doesn't exist or is pure evil and unworthy of worship. I don't believe in the supernatural myself, but reading the old testament has made feel some sympathy for Lucifer the fallen angel. Sure, the guy rebelled, but can you blame him? If I was an angel, I would have done the same thing, probably right after "the merciful god" ordered the massacre of the Egyptian firstborns (Forget it, I'm not killing a bunch of babies for you, Lord. Go and do it yourself you sick f;uck!)

Rebellion is the only rational response to a tyrant. Ask Ghaddafi.
really? i would have asked Ghaddafi by heeding to ur advice but hes no where to be found. do u know where he is for me to go ask him? undecided
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by EvilBrain1(m): 2:05am On Sep 02, 2011
frosbel:

^^^^

But how can you understand the bible from a spiritual perspective and hence in the right context , when you are void of the Spirit of GOD undecided

You basically just admitted that the bible doesn't make sense unless you approach it with preconceived ideas. I can't really argue with you there.

Christians, Muslims and followers of almost every other major religion all make the same claim when they are confronted with the inconsistencies and logical dead ends in their religious texts. It's either "you need the Holy spirit to guide you before you can understand" or "you need to read the Koran in arabic to understand" or "you need to learn 6th century arabic to understand".

I'm tired of people claiming to have some kind of special revelation that is beyond mere mortals like myself. Personally, I prefer the simple explanation: It doesn't make sense, period!
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by InesQor(m): 2:07am On Sep 02, 2011
Vic O presents "Why Evils". Enjoy!  grin grin grin

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhB5ZfBqQjc[/flash]
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by manakeagie: 7:10am On Sep 02, 2011
God has all powers to get rid of evil but He very Well Knows that People will not see his Glory if they actually dont get out of evil through His manifestation, God Wants to Glorify Him Self amidst the Devil
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Image123(m): 7:16am On Sep 02, 2011
thehomer:

It is now clear to me that you have no idea of what you're trying to talk about. My simple question to you is this, do you consider sickness to be evil? You really need to stop embarrassing yourself this way. That is what makes me feel embarrassed for you since you appear to lack the insight to feel it.
It wasn't your question but your conclusion that i said God created sickness. You deserve to be embarrassed.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by mazaje(m): 8:09am On Sep 02, 2011
frosbel:

^^^^

But how can you understand the bible from a spiritual perspective and hence in the right context , when you are void of the Spirit of GOD  undecided

Another lie the deluded tell themselves so that they can sleep at night while believing and holding unto the lies of men that stated that the creator or the universe can be seen hiding in the clouds if only a high tower can be built to reach the clouds. . . . . . .There is NOTHING like spiritual perspective, believe first and the stories and mythology will make sense is what you are saying. . . .By the way the many divisions in the christian body shows that the spiritual perceptive is an urban legend since many sincere believers always disagree in many spiritual matters and interpretation of the bible. . .Evert religion uses that as an excuse after all. . .

Evil exist because it does it has nothing to do with any imaginary God. . . .
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by thehomer: 8:54am On Sep 02, 2011
Image123:

It wasn't your question but your conclusion that i said God created sickness. You deserve to be embarrassed.

How long will it take you to realize that sickness is a part of evil therefore if God created evil, he created sickness too? You really don't understand what it means for someone to be embarrassed for another person's inability to understand their own statements. Your lack of insight into your problem runs deep.
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Nobody: 11:49am On Sep 02, 2011
mazaje:

Another lie the deluded tell themselves so that they can sleep at night while believing and holding unto the lies of men that stated that the creator or the universe can be seen hiding in the clouds if only a high tower can be built to reach the clouds. . . . . . .There is NOTHING like spiritual perspective, believe first and the stories and mythology will make sense is what you are saying. . . .By the way the many divisions in the christian body shows that the spiritual perceptive is an urban legend since many sincere believers always disagree in many spiritual matters and interpretation of the bible. . .Evert religion uses that as an excuse after all. . .

Evil exist because it does it has nothing to do with any imaginary God. . . .

I am not one to get involved in aimless debates, but from my perspective ANYONE who reflects on this beautiful earth and the glory of it's features , but still does not believe in a GOD , while hypocritically attributing all the ills of society to him, is a FOOL !! a Really big FOOL !! No insult intended just plain fact.

As simple as that.

You can argue forever, if that makes you proud that you sound so clever.

But I am telling you right now that demons are laughing their heads off at your sheer ignorance of the existence of GOD , for even they believe and tremble !!!

And if you go through life with this attitude (I hope not and God forbid ) , those same demons that deceived you , will be there to gladly receive your soul after death , and toss you into the pit of eternal punishment.

Then you will believe in GOD but alas your folly will be too late for correction !!!

Think about it .
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Sep 02, 2011
Evil Brain:

You basically just admitted that the bible doesn't make sense unless you approach it with preconceived ideas. I can't really argue with you there.

Christians, Muslims and followers of almost every other major religion all make the same claim when they are confronted with the inconsistencies and logical dead ends in their religious texts. It's either "you need the Holy spirit to guide you before you can understand" or "you need to read the Koran in arabic to understand" or "you need to learn 6th century arabic to understand".

I'm tired of people claiming to have some kind of special revelation that is beyond mere mortals like myself. Personally, I prefer the simple explanation: It doesn't make sense, period!

Since u ve described it as being personal, i wouldn't want to take u on much about ur statement. I hope u realize that what a minority individual like ur self have described as not making to you is what millions of people around the planet earth/within the planet earth takes solace in and yet they never regret doing so.

Yet its one of the mostly widely read book irrespective of peoples belief about whats stated therein.

BTW what do u recommend for an individual to believe in regarding the position of the existence and non existence of a supreme deity who could be the creator or not of the universe?

2)What will u recommend an individual do to avoid fooooooling hm/herself regarding 'the inconsistencies and logical dead ends in their religious texts'
Re: Why Does God Allow Evil ? by thehomer: 1:58pm On Sep 02, 2011
frosbel:

I am not one to get involved in aimless debates, but from my perspective ANYONE who reflects on this beautiful earth and the glory of it's features , but still does not believe in a GOD , while hypocritically attributing all the ills of society to him, is a FOOL !! a Really big FOOL !! No insult intended just plain fact.

As simple as that.

You can argue forever, if that makes you proud that you sound so clever.

But I am telling you right now that demons are laughing their heads off at your sheer ignorance of the existence of GOD , for even they believe and tremble !!!

And if you go through life with this attitude (I hope not and God forbid ) , those same demons that deceived you , will be there to gladly receive your soul after death , and toss you into the pit of eternal punishment.

Then you will believe in GOD but alas your folly will be too late for correction !!!

Think about it .

Something I don't understand about Christians such as yourself is that you're willing to call someone a fool in direct contradiction to your Bible, you then go ahead and claim that this is a fact. I really wonder how one goes about determining that others are fools.
You should also realize that when a non believer is pointing out how evil shows your God to be unlikely, he is simply showing you a contradiction in your belief system not that a certain aspect of it is true.

Some of you religious fellows do not understand why others simply laugh at the ignorance displayed by believers. If someone doesn't believe in your God, what makes you think your threats of hell would be effective?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Difference Between Christmas And Xmas / The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship? / An Urgent Revelation By Prophet Shepherd Bushiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.