Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,592 members, 7,955,178 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:53 PM

Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss (1960 Views)

House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right / Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by UpBendel(m): 12:42pm On Aug 30, 2011
"In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person. Lacking in self control, discipline, and foresight. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery. His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future, or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals’ placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the State he has reached. Through the ages the African appears to have evolved no organized religious creed, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural"

“He lacks the power of organization, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility , he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue, In brief, the virtues and defects of this race-type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy, Perhaps the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future."

---Lord Frederick John Dealty Lugard, The Dual Mandate, pg.70 (1926)"

Please discuss
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 1:15pm On Aug 30, 2011
nothing to discuss. lord lugard is six feet under. totally irrelevant. lets hope for his own sake that he is not paying for his colonialist ways in sheol, abi na hades  then again who cares right ?
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by UpBendel(m): 1:21pm On Aug 30, 2011
buzugee:

nothing to discuss. lord lugard is six feet under. totally irrelevant. lets hope for his own sake that he is not paying for his colonialist ways in sheol, abi na hades  then again who cares right ?

Colonialist ways??
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 1:25pm On Aug 30, 2011
UpBendel:

Colonialist ways??
was he not the british colonial enforcer in nigeria ?
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by UpBendel(m): 1:28pm On Aug 30, 2011
buzugee:

was he not the british colonial enforcer in nigeria ?

You have probably figured out where I sit with regrads to this quote but I am trying to understand if you think/believe that colonialism was detrimental to the development of Nigeria in anyway. If that is the case, how do you explain the current situtation in Nigeria?
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by okadaman2: 1:30pm On Aug 30, 2011
God punish Lord Lugard - Ogoga Ifowodo
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 1:32pm On Aug 30, 2011
UpBendel:

You have probably figured out where I sit with regrads to this quote but I am trying to understand if you think/believe that colonialism was detrimental to the development of Nigeria in anyway. If that is the case, how do you explain the current situtation in Nigeria?
colonialism and the current state of nigeria are different sides of the same toilet. they are both destructive forces. no virtues whatsoever. they may throw you a few crumbs so that you feel like they are helping you out while the bulk of the loot goes out the backdoor to (britain in colonialism) and to ( private swiss accounts in the current kleptocracy). same shyttt different toilet.
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 1:33pm On Aug 30, 2011
okada_man:

grin
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 1:38pm On Aug 30, 2011
i guess Africans have always been susceptible to looters. hmm i wonder why. if the Bible is anything to go by then its because of the worship of Baal.
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by UpBendel(m): 1:40pm On Aug 30, 2011
buzugee:

colonialism and the current state of nigeria are different sides of the same toilet. they are both destructive forces. no virtues whatsoever. they may throw you a few crumbs so that you feel like they are helping you out while the bulk of the loot goes out the backdoor to (britain in colonialism) and to ( private swiss accounts in the current kleptocracy). same shyttt different toilet.

51 years later and $400Bn missing?? How many roads, schools, hospitals, and homes do you think that would have built?
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by UpBendel(m): 1:41pm On Aug 30, 2011
okada_man:

Hmm. 'Excitable Person'.
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 1:46pm On Aug 30, 2011
UpBendel:

51 years later and $400Bn missing?? How many roads, schools, hospitals, and homes do you think that would have built?
do you really think you deserve roads, schools and hospitals and homes ? really ? do you ? how much do you pay in taxes ? do you pay your property taxes ? capital gains tax ? inheritance tax ? road tax ? your bills nko ? do you go to the local hospital to volunteer your time ? what are you building to uplift nigeria ? when you go and hawk on the street do you pay vendors license ? do you pay auto insurance ? seriously why do you think you deserve those things
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 1:48pm On Aug 30, 2011
when you get to the bus-stop, do you attempt to queue or do you start rushing and pushing like everyone else ? your house nko ? how often do you paint it ? do you make it look nice and attractive ? do you litter the street ? so why do you think you deserve nice things ?
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 1:49pm On Aug 30, 2011
when i come to the toilet in your house will it be encrusted with brown crap and doodoo or will it be spic and span ? why do you think you deserve nice things ? really ? whats your personal maintenance record like ? do you maintain things ? or are you just a destructive force like 99 percent of nigerians ? why do you deserve these things ?
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by UpBendel(m): 1:53pm On Aug 30, 2011
buzugee:

do you really think you deserve roads, schools and hospitals and homes ? really ? do you ? how much do you pay in taxes ? do you pay your property taxes ? capital gains tax ? inheritance tax ? road tax ? your bills nko ? do you go to the local hospital to volunteer your time ? what are you building to uplift nigeria ? when you go and hawk on the street do you pay vendors license ? do you pay auto insurance ? seriously why do you think you deserve those things

My point exactly. This is all as a result of colonialism?
Re: Lord Lugard And Africans - Discuss by buzugee(m): 2:04pm On Aug 30, 2011
UpBendel:

My point exactly. This is all as a result of colonialism?
ermm i didnt say it was. this was in response to why you think you deserved those things you mentioned.

(1) (Reply)

Names Of D Most Tribalistic Nairalanders / This Is The World’s Most Comfortable Prison,would You Love To There??? Lolx! / Time To Decide If We Can Remain As One Country- Northern CAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.