Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal (5173 Views)

Buhari Should Deny It, If He's Not Getting Funds From ISIS, Al Queda - FFK / Wall Street Journal Mocks Nigeria's Economy As Naira Falls Again To Dollar / Boko Haram Threatens To Attack Lagos, Claims Link To Al-queda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by kulutempa: 12:38am On Aug 31, 2011
A Wall Street Journal  article says that members of Boko Haram who are believed to be responsible for last week's suicide bombing of a United Nations building in Nigeria, have received training from  Al Queda affiliated groups in Afghanistan and Algeria, according to a recent internal Nigerian intelligence report.   The full article can be read here: 
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904332804576540501936480880.html?mod=googlenews_wsj     

According to the article, several of the reports findings were confirmed by Nigerian and  Western security officials.

I am not really surprised about this because although I am not an intelligence agent, this is what I said on Nairaland a few days ago in a comment on Boko Haram's claim for responsibility for the Abuja bombing:

[b]Spot on.  It just doesn't add up.  I have a theory and it goes like this:   Boko Haram being a radical islamic organisation has quite a lot in common with Al Qaeda and I would not be surprised if they get some funding from them.   Al Qaeda in turn has an axe to grind with the UN and organisations which it believes promotes Western ideas and values in the Islamic world.  It is therefore not far fetched for Al Qaeda to have a joint venture with Boko Haram in Nigeria whereby it provides it with funding and training for its local activities and in return Boko Haram provides it with logistics and personnel for attacking Western targets of opportunity in Nigeria.  I think Boko Haram has now become  an Al-Qaeda franchise for Nigeria and the omen is not looking good for the country.   To make matters worse, I think Boko Haram has symphatisers within the Nigerian intelligence, military and political circles which is why it has been very difficult to penetrate them and obtain critical intelligence about their structure, methods, and operations.   We are in effect dealing with a national terrorist organisation which has morphed into an international network of terrorists, right under the noses of our clueless security agencies, and corrupt, pig greedy leaders.[/b]
Link:  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-745356.96.html

My only surprise is that although our security services knew about this dangerous development, they did nothing to  liase with Western intelligence agencies and track this dangerous link between Boko Haram and Al Queda.  I am also surprised that those responsible for this oversight have not yet been given the boot by our President.   Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like things are going to get much worse before they get better. If at all they get better.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Yeske2(m): 1:50am On Aug 31, 2011
Whichever theory is accepted or true, the fact remains that the prospects are not bright for Naija
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by ektbear: 2:10am On Aug 31, 2011
Interesting
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by koruji(m): 2:32am On Aug 31, 2011
Nigeria as currently constituted is a shell, it has no substance from head to toe.

You mention the fact that our security services "did nothing to liase with Western intelligence". In what language are they going to be communicating - and I am not talking about inability to speak English. Think of what you suggested as a 1980s Atari computer trying to link up with an iPAD in 2011.

What our security agencies know is to carry their guns, look on the pages of newspapers, use whatever sophisticated equipments they purchase on the international market to spy on enemies of the "government" and trail people that are of zero potential danger to national security because they "publicly" said a word or two against the people "above".

kulutempa:

My only surprise is that although our security services knew about this dangerous development, they did nothing to  liase with Western intelligence agencies and track this dangerous link between Boko Haram and Al Queda.  I am also surprised that those responsible for this oversight have not yet been given the boot by our President.   Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like things are going to get much worse before they get better. If at all they get better.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Beaf: 2:40am On Aug 31, 2011
kulutempa:

A Wall Street Journal  article says that members of Boko Haram who are believed to be responsible for last week's suicide bombing of a United Nations building in Nigeria, have received training from  Al Queda affiliated groups in Afghanistan and Algeria, according to a recent internal Nigerian intelligence report.   The full article can be read here: 
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904332804576540501936480880.html?mod=googlenews_wsj     

According to the article, several of the reports findings were confirmed by Nigerian and  Western security officials.

I am not really surprised about this because although I am not an intelligence agent, this is what I said on Nairaland a few days ago in a comment on Boko Haram's claim for responsibility for the Abuja bombing:

Spot on.  It just doesn't add up.  I have a theory and it goes like this:   Boko Haram being a radical islamic organisation has quite a lot in common with Al Qaeda and I would not be surprised if they get some funding from them.   Al Qaeda in turn has an axe to grind with the UN and organisations which it believes promotes Western ideas and values in the Islamic world.  It is therefore not far fetched for Al Qaeda to have a joint venture with Boko Haram in Nigeria whereby it provides it with funding and training for its local activities and in return Boko Haram provides it with logistics and personnel for attacking Western targets of opportunity in Nigeria.  I think Boko Haram has now become  an Al-Qaeda franchise for Nigeria and the omen is not looking good for the country.   To make matters worse, I think Boko Haram has symphatisers within the Nigerian intelligence, military and political circles which is why it has been very difficult to penetrate them and obtain critical intelligence about their structure, methods, and operations.   We are in effect dealing with a national terrorist organisation which has morphed into an international network of terrorists, right under the noses of our clueless security agencies, and corrupt, pig greedy leaders.

My only surprise is that although our security services knew about this dangerous development, they did nothing to  liase with Western intelligence agencies and track this dangerous link between Boko Haram and Al Queda.  I am also surprised that those responsible for this oversight have not yet been given the boot by our President.   Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like things are going to get much worse before they get better.  If at all they get better.

The bolded shows you already know the answer that boko haram is made up of our intelligence, army and police officers with a certain ethnic and religious persuasion. So why are you asking strange questions?

To the observant, boko haram is as pervasive as, and almost the same as whole sections of the security agencies. Some pretend it is an easy fight on NL in order to score cheap political points.

Dude, Nigeria is at war. Again, it is for the observant to decipher what the weapons and battlefronts are.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by koruji(m): 2:56am On Aug 31, 2011
If what you are suggesting is the case then, while not easy, it is imperative that the president decide on what must be done and get to it quickly. These people are sending a message that I hope the president is listening to.

They threatened the U.N., it was reported to the government and yet BH got its way. Note that the same group has said they have Aso Rock in their sights - I doubt if they are refering to the physical Aso Rock.

If our security agencies are infected by BH nothing short of a coup-against-own-government is going to save Nigeria from this oncoming train of disaster. It really seems to me that these people have decided they want to leave the shell called Nigeria. Better to say bye to them on our own terms rather than theirs.

There is fire on the mountain.

Beaf:

The bolded shows you already know the answer that boko haram is made up of our intelligence, army and police officers with a certain ethnic and religious persuasion. So why are you asking strange questions?

To the observant, boko haram is as pervasive as, and almost the same as whole sections of the security agencies. Some pretend it is an easy fight on NL in order to score cheap political points.

Dude, Nigeria is at war. Again, it is for the observant to decipher what the weapons and battlefronts are.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Beaf: 3:21am On Aug 31, 2011
koruji:

If what you are suggesting is the case then, while not easy, it is imperative that the president decide on what must be done and get to it quickly. These people are sending a message that I hope the president is listening to.

They threatened the U.N., it was reported to the government and yet BH got its way. Note that the same group has said they have Aso Rock in their sights - I doubt if they are refering to the physical Aso Rock.

If our security agencies are infected by BH nothing short of a coup-against-own-government is going to save Nigeria from this oncoming train of disaster. It really seems to me that these people have decided they want to leave the shell called Nigeria. Better to say bye to them on our own terms rather than theirs.

There is fire on the mountain.

They haven't decided to leave Nigeria at all. What would they be leaving to and where would money come from? Their calculation is to make Nigerians panicky and fearful, so that they can climb those fears back to power. Its plain old blackmail.

They aren't very subtle about their tactics too:

[size=14pt]Nigeria: Don't Victimise Northern Security Personnel Over Boko Haram, Jonathan Advised[/size]
Yusha'u a Ibrahim
3 August 2011

Katsina — President Goodluck Jonathan has been advised not to victimise security officers from the North over the Boko Haram issue.

Former Speaker of the Kaduna State House of Assembly in the second Republic, Alhaji Mamman Abubakar Danmusa gave the advice yesterday while speaking to Daily Trust in Katsina. Alhaji Mamman expressed concern over a statement attributed to Plateau State Governor David Jang that the Boko Haram sect has collaborators within the nation's security system.

[b]"We have learnt that based on Jang's statement, there is a plan to victimise security officers from the North. In fact, we have learnt that some of them have started tendering their resignation letters to the authorities concerned. By implicating security agents, Muslims among them would be singled out by the Federal Government for victimisation. President Jonathan should not allow this to happen," he said.

The former Speaker maintained that if security personnel from the North are victimised, there could be serious religious disharmony in the country.

"Don't allow yourself to be pushed to take an action that will bring religious disharmony among Nigerians. [/b]You should be fair to everyone because you are president of Nigeria not president of a certain religion or group," he added.

Danmusa, who is also a chieftain of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) in Katsina State, condemned President Jonathan's 6-year single term proposal, saying the move was uncalled-for.

"There are so many issues facing the country that need to be addressed. Insecurity, poverty and unemployment need to be addressed before embarking on any amendment. A focussed and responsible government must work tirelessly to find solutions to its problems," he said.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201108030570.html

We need to ally with stronger countries, because the ethnic representation in the officer corps of the police, army and intelligence services is overwhelmingly lopsided.
We are in for a crazy ride, its a fight for you and I and we will prevail. cool
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by kulutempa: 8:54am On Aug 31, 2011
Beaf:

@Beaf, I am not asking any strange questions at all.  What I am saying is that if all this can be clear to an average citizen like me, it should have been clear to those in charge, and a comprehensive reform of our security agencies should have been carried out, by them.  As to scoring cheap political points,  let's just say that your track record on Nairaland speaks volumes for you on that one. I don't even know where the goal posts are not to talk of scoring.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Johnpaul2k2(m): 9:50am On Aug 31, 2011
kulutempa:

[b]Spot on.  It just doesn't add up.  I have a theory and it goes like this:   Boko Haram being a radical islamic organisation has quite a lot in common with Al Qaeda and I would not be surprised if they get some funding from them.   Al Qaeda in turn has an axe to grind with the UN and organisations which it believes promotes Western ideas and values in the Islamic world.  It is therefore not far fetched for Al Qaeda to have a joint venture with Boko Haram in Nigeria whereby it provides it with funding and training for its local activities and in return Boko Haram provides it with logistics and personnel for attacking Western targets of opportunity in Nigeria.  I think Boko Haram has now become  an Al-Qaeda franchise for Nigeria and the omen is not looking good for the country.   To make matters worse, I think Boko Haram has symphatisers within the Nigerian intelligence, military and political circles which is why it has been very difficult to penetrate them and obtain critical intelligence about their structure, methods, and operations.   We are in effect dealing with a national terrorist organisation which has morphed into an international network of terrorists, right under the noses of our clueless security agencies, and corrupt, pig greedy leaders.[/b]

My only surprise is that although our security services knew about this dangerous development, they did nothing to  liase with Western intelligence agencies and track this dangerous link between Boko Haram and Al Queda.  I am also surprised that those responsible for this oversight have not yet been given the boot by our President.   Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like things are going to get much worse before they get better.  If at all they get better.
THE SAME PEOPLE WITH THE SAME MOTIVE to DESTRUCTION ,anxious of power,  the same angry mobs that destroyed the souls of our future governors, ministers in the name of election planned violent. The Same armajiri bringing Shame and Strange image to our 'GOODLUCK' name.The same bast.ards from northern region.one word for you all . YOUR CUP IS ALMOST FULL 
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Greenslim: 9:51am On Aug 31, 2011
we need to engage more intelligence network now more than before.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Orblonde: 10:09am On Aug 31, 2011
Che! Naija don enter wahala oh! Think twice if you are buying any land in another region from your home, as e be like say e don set for waka to ya tent oh Isreal! Tink wetin I dey yarn well oh!!
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by delpee(f): 10:26am On Aug 31, 2011
@Orblonde
Funny but true. God save us from these self acclaimed "warriors" fighting the wrong battles.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by AfroBlue(m): 10:28am On Aug 31, 2011
Africom has targeted Nairaland for the next war on terror campaign. There are mercenaries (posing as Boko Harem) on the payroll of the western military industrial complex on the ground in Nigeria with the mission to create sectarian strife, chaos, and possibly civil war. War is big business around the world. The bankers love it as well as the weapons industry.  The Wall St Journal is a propaganda rag for these efforts.

And don't forget Al Qaeda was created by the CIA to fight the Russians in Afghanistan.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Cleanman(m): 10:50am On Aug 31, 2011
Afro_Blue:

Africom has targeted Nairaland for the next war on terror campaign. There are mercenaries (posing as Boko Harem) on the payroll of the western military industrial complex on the ground in Nigeria with the mission to create sectarian strife, chaos, and possibly civil war. War is big business around the world. The bankers love it as well as the weapons industry.  The Wall St Journal is a propaganda rag for these efforts.

And don't forget Al Qaeda was created by the CIA to fight the Russians in Afghanistan.
did you just said that or are you thinking with ur a.r.s.e!
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by AfroBlue(m): 10:54am On Aug 31, 2011
Associated Press

AP Exclusive: Up to $60B in war funds said wasted
RICHARD LARDNER , 08.30.11, 05:07 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- An independent panel investigating wartime spending estimates that as much as $60 billion has been lost to waste and fraud over the past decade in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In its final report to Congress, the Commission on Wartime Contracting said the figure could grow larger as U.S. support for reconstruction projects and programs wanes and Iraq and Afghanistan are unable to sustain the schools, medical clinics, roads and power plants already built with American tax dollars.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the commission's report in advance of its scheduled Wednesday public release.

The commission says that in Afghanistan, the insurgency's second largest funding source after the illegal drug trade is the diversion of money from U.S.-backed construction projects and transportation contracts.

Congress established the commission in 2008.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by cashmentor(m): 11:00am On Aug 31, 2011
Action Film!
Nigeria is crumbling, thanks to Boko & its Allies not 4geting too Mr Joe, he's just Too Emotional! D world is watching, and Nigeria is xpectin condolences & support from d west 2 stay alive, when in essence these very west & even our own African brothers want Nigeria out of their way, yet Mr Joe is calling 4 prayers! I Love this Country,
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by popin5(m): 12:15pm On Aug 31, 2011
d vision of boko haram is as old as d republic of naija. And about having sympathizers, those are their eyes in corporate outfits. Disguise is the game on the table. It will soon lack costumes to use and it will be a pity scene. Intelligence will fail them cos no weapon can destroy TRUTH. It will come at its time with wrath that brings justice. Get prepared
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by kulutempa: 12:18pm On Aug 31, 2011
Yet another article on Nigeria's Boko Haram menace, this time from the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/31/world/africa/31nigeria.html

I reckon this paragraph from the article captures the background and nature of the problem perfectly:

“The chickens have come home to roost,” said another Western diplomat, who was not authorized to speak publicly. “Nigeria’s political elite has been ruling irresponsibly for decades, shamelessly plundering the nation’s wealth with little or no regard for the country’s masses,” the diplomat said in an e-mail. “The rise of Boko Haram and its millions of tacit, quiet supporters is a challenge to this corrupt political class.

As you make your bed, you lie on it.  I hope our leaders are listening.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by abouzaid: 12:45pm On Aug 31, 2011
Plain propaganda to bring in africom,divide nigeria and plunder our natural resources while we fight each other for the next 20yrs. American intervention have left iraq and afghanistan worse than they met it and we don't need it in nigeria
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by oohunt: 2:01pm On Aug 31, 2011
@OP, I agree, we are simply going downhill!!! We the masses unfortunatley have to pay for it. I pray seriously for Nigerians who are yet to loose their lives.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Wallie(m): 2:07pm On Aug 31, 2011
What is all this talk about AFRICOM? Americans already have access to the oil coming out of Nigeria, why would they want to invade? Why would they want to disrupt their guaranteed source of energy? It is not as if the Nigerian government is threatening to sell the oil to someone else?

Can someone really explain this paranoia?
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by kulutempa: 2:20pm On Aug 31, 2011
Wallie:

What is all this talk about AFRICOM? Americans already have access to the oil coming out of Nigeria, why would they want to invade? Why would they want to disrupt their guaranteed source of energy? It is not as if the Nigerian government is threatening to sell the oil to someone else?

Can someone really explain this paranoia?

Paranoia? No, no, no. Just the typical, mind bending, Nigerian Nollywood conspiracy plot.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Beaf: 2:38pm On Aug 31, 2011
kulutempa:

@Beaf, I am not asking any strange questions at all.  What I am saying is that if all this can be clear to an average citizen like me, it should have been clear to those in charge, and a comprehensive reform of our security agencies should have been carried out, by them.  As to scoring cheap political points,  let's just say that your track record on Nairaland speaks volumes for you on that one. I don't even know where the goal posts are not to talk of scoring.

If you read my post carefully, you will find that I wasn't referring to you as one of those who score cheap points, so please drop your weapons sir.

As for the "strange question," the fact is that the average Nigerian abhors reading or researching issues, instead we love mysterious "hand me down tales" to the extent that every straightforward issue develops all sorts of far out angles. The press in the worst offender in this area, instead of engaging in incisive investigative journalism, like the average person, they have become rumour forges. The reason we do not understand burning events in Nigeria is not a problem located elsewhere, it is within you and I.

It is straightforward that the ethnic representation in the army and police is heavily lopsided, you will also find that most of the countries weapons of war are located beyond Lokoja. I sincerely don't get your suggestion that the army can be reformed almost magically; that is a fairytale scenario that does not include the destabilising effects it would have on our security; boko haram would be childs play in comparison.
I'm interested to know if you were in the decision sit; how long would you estimate such a reform would take? What would you do to stop the country from slipping into war with accusation of ethnic and religious bias? How would you secure the weapons that are kept by those you wish to disarm and how long would that take? Where would you get the personnel to take up the massive numbers of newly vacant positions?

Whatever your answers to the above questions are, you would come to the certain conclusion that the resolution of our security issues will take years. Not just that, but you would also see that several reform processes have already kicked off months ago.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by sampeter(m): 3:40pm On Aug 31, 2011
God bless Naija. Gboko Haram will soon expire, al-queda or what is it called will evaporate and the new Nigeria of our dream will emerge. Its just a trying time common to every nation but in different form and time.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 31, 2011
God this getting outta hands!
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by Gbenge77(m): 7:40pm On Aug 31, 2011
Will GEJ take responsibility and stop ducking around?
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by ebere1712: 12:21am On Sep 01, 2011
Wall street journal my ass. Bunch of idiots. Yeah after that send africom you mugus. It wont work for them. We don't need any of them. In fact we should start reducing our level of involvement with this people.
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by abouzaid: 1:35pm On Sep 01, 2011
AFRICOM is the ultimate way of keeping the chinese out of nigerian oil business just as the libyan rebels were used to keep the same chinese out. The british and american governments are not hiding their discomfort with the presence of the chinese in resource rich african countries. So watch out as their grand conspiracy works out from now to 2015. Yea goodluck to those who are not already dead, because we are clearly heading towards decades long civil war
Re: Al Queda Ties Seen For Boko Haram According To Wall Street Journal by salolo(m): 6:59pm On Nov 27, 2012
God bless nigeria

(1) (Reply)

They Told Me To Join A Cult If I Must Become Governor - Labaran Maku / Nigerians- Breaking Free From Ethno-religious Captivity / Checkout Striking Resemblance Between VP Yemi Osinbajo And Brother Akin Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.