Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,846 members, 7,817,506 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? (3209 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / They Both Work In Different Banks, Can Their Marriage Work? / Making Your Marriage Work - Wisdom For Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by diyobdw(f): 1:21pm On Feb 28, 2006
I keep wondering if there are sucessful mixed religion marriage. i mean couples with different reglious believe.Though People like the lagos state governor seem to be praticing it .Does It really work?I need some light on this Pleeeeeease!!
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by Free(f): 4:11am On Mar 03, 2006
well uuummm one of my friends parents well they both christian,but goes to church on different days
the mom goes to church on saturday and the dad goes on sunday, the marriage isnt workin out so good,
the dad dont want his kids goin to church on satuday but instead on sundays,
the parents are not really together now, because the difference in religious beliefs is a big issue
i guess when your inlove anything goes eeeh until you get married then everything turns,
differences in religion it could work for somepeople and not for others, it all depends i think
but i think the best thing to do is always discuss the differences between the two first,
just understand each other, before it goes farther, if ya understand each other then,
i dont think theres gonna be any problem,
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by babymine(f): 11:16am On Mar 07, 2006
Rarely. Don't try it oh! shocked
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by nawah(f): 6:46pm On Mar 07, 2006
It is not a problem having different religions when there is toleranz and respect.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by LoverBwoy(m): 9:36pm On Mar 07, 2006
i think it can work when the two people respect others and other people's religion

IM sure the two religion preaches TOLERANCE and RESPECT-which most people tend to ignore

and the other thing is friends n family, some people might be okay with it but their friends hmm they'll quote different part of the BOOK just to fustrate da L.o.v.e
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by Kave(m): 9:59pm On Mar 11, 2006
The bible says, Marry only in the lord.Jehovah's witnesses will never marry an outsider, if he does,his standin in the congregation will not b firm any more.Note that there marriages hardly break up. They hardly divorce.

1 Like

Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by mamaput(f): 10:29pm On Mar 11, 2006
Kave:

The bible says, Marry only in the lord.Jehovah's witnesses will never marry an outsider, if he does,his standing in the congregation will not b firm any more.Note that there marriages hardly break up. They hardly divorce.

that dose not mean that all are happy in their marrage in Germany they are regarded as a sekt.
As in Big brother is watching u.
Any religion thats like that is not one i will go in for.
They go from house to house telling people that god will punish them if one dons not have time for them.
The best is they come early in the morning.
They last time they came here i was still sleeping (nude) my bell rang and i went to the door wrapped only in a blanket. They only said sorry and left,
ja i guess that shocked them.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by diyobdw(f): 9:04am On Mar 13, 2006
Kave:

The bible says, Marry only in the lord.Jehovah's witnesses will never marry an outsider, if he does,his standin in the congregation will not b firm any more.Note that there marriages hardly break up. They hardly divorce.
Marry in the lord could mean different thinbg to different people.Jehovah witness in my view leave to please others.I dated one before thier case is different.They are like robots as far as i understand.Even though i dont agree they stay in thier marriages!
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by Kave(m): 9:52pm On Mar 14, 2006
JWs will never tell u dat God will punish u for any reason. Most people hav these -ve thoughs about them.U really need to get closer to them b4 u can understand them. , , , U dated one?For sure he would not marry u since u r not a JW.

1 Like

Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by diyobdw(f): 7:20am On Mar 15, 2006
G
Kave:

JWs will never tell u that God will punish u for any reason. Most people hav these -ve thoughs about them.U really need to get closer to them before u can understand them. , , , U dated one?For sure he would not marry u since you're not a JW.

i wasnt looking @ marriage with him.We are still close so i know why i take that stand.
MOst people with -ve thought didnt just sit and assume, it by experience.They don't say God will punish you but the believe you are not of God.So what are we saying!!
You have to be a JW rebel to be true friends with people the are not JW.
They got alot am not down with and not u or your opinion can change that cool

Can you imagine you making me drift off the tread anyway, does sucessful mixed religion marriage works please!!nairalanders
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by Kave(m): 2:40pm On Mar 28, 2006
If only u guys r not too attached to d religion. Erhenn then that way,it might work out.But notin as sweet as wen u guys attend same.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by dominobaby(f): 12:55pm On Mar 30, 2006
What do u mean when u use the word 'work' in the marriage context? A lot of mixed religion marriages are being endured rather than enjoyed n to me such marriages aint working in the real sense of it. Two cannot walk together except they agree.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by diyobdw(f): 7:13pm On Mar 30, 2006
@dominobaby
What do u mean when u use the word 'work' in the marriage context?
Marriage is all about enduring outside you faith load of other things needs tolerance!
Two cannot walk together? hm, they are together if there are enduring aint they?b
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by babymine(f): 11:10am On Apr 26, 2006
It doesn't. At the end the man converts his wife to his religion.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by diyobdw(f): 1:19pm On Apr 26, 2006
Really i have seen wife convert thier husband.
dont you think it depend on how faith they are to thier individual faith?
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by babymine(f): 2:11pm On Apr 26, 2006
After marriage, the man takes charge completely. Anyways, its all good. cheesy
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by crave(f): 4:33pm On Apr 26, 2006
Mixed marriages can work, as long as a discussion is had before the wedding, so everyone knows what to expect. My sister is married to a Muslim, and before they got married, they decided that any children they have will be raised Muslim. As of now the kids are exposed to both religion.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by Rhodalyn(f): 4:35pm On Apr 26, 2006
Marriage is all aba love nt Religion, for christ sake!!!!!!!!!!! spare me dis!!
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by diyobdw(f): 5:56pm On Apr 26, 2006
babymine:

After marriage, the man takes charge completely. Anyways, its all good. cheesy
--you dont seem to realise we are in 2006.Wedding make the one doesnt me the Head Controls the body.
even housewife work or at least have a voice these days! shocked shocked shocked

Rhodalyn has said it all love not for religion
basically its about been tolerant and understanding themselves
FINTO!!
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by nferyn(m): 6:53pm On Apr 26, 2006
My wife's Christian and I'm an atheist. Our mariage works fine. It all depends on whether or not you have your priorities straight.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by diyobdw(f): 7:06pm On Apr 26, 2006
nice testimony!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
keep it up!!
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by kimba(m): 2:47am On Apr 27, 2006
Yes, it can and it does.

I know a family where the husband is a muslim, the wife is a Christian, the live happily, no hating. The children were free to choose where they wanted to belong, and if you entered their house, you would never know that the two of them werent of the same faith, i mean with the level of love, acceptance and understanding.

its all about love
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by doshbass(m): 4:26pm On Apr 27, 2006
yes
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by eveseh(f): 7:51pm On Apr 27, 2006
some works,some dont
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by diyobdw(f): 11:26am On Apr 28, 2006
some people live long some doent undecided
so what are we saying
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by babymine(f): 12:09pm On Apr 28, 2006
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by okwanuzo3(f): 7:14pm On Oct 13, 2006
nope
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by ThoniaSlim(f): 1:02am On Dec 10, 2006
it has worked for people but i can't actually see myself getting married to any other person apart from a christian.it won't just work. sad
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by English1(f): 12:11am On Dec 11, 2006
Some people can do it and some people can't.

I am also an atheist with a Christian and it works ok. We both already have children and won't be having any together and that makes things easier - I think it would cause friction if we were to have children. He would want to raise them his way and I would want to raise them my way. You can't really compromise on yes there is a God/no there isn't a God. But as it isn't an issue then religion really doesn't make any difference to us. I don't criticise his church and he doesn't criticise me for not going to church. Live and let live.

I think it also helps that we are both a bit older and wiser - I don't think I could have made it work when I was younger.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by Dalby(m): 2:45pm On May 18, 2010
It will work if both parties are tolerant.

ThoniaSlim:

it has worked for people but i can't actually see myself getting married to any other person apart from a christian.it won't just work. sad

Its really funny, but remember that people can change religious affiliations in marriage. Then what

English1:

Some people can do it and some people can't.

I am also an atheist with a Christian and it works ok. We both already have children and won't be having any together and that makes things easier - I think it would cause friction if we were to have children. He would want to raise them his way and I would want to raise them my way. You can't really compromise on yes there is a God/no there isn't a God. But as it isn't an issue then religion really doesn't make any difference to us. I don't criticise his church and he doesn't criticise me for not going to church. Live and let live.

I think it also helps that we are both a bit older and wiser - I don't think I could have made it work when I was younger.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is not in your place either father or mother, what your child / children will believe. S/he could have atheist belief right now and could become a christian when s/he is old enough to make decisions for himself or herself. I would rather a child be exposed to all forms of religion and in time the child will be able to make the best decision and his / her foundation will be based on practical experience and will not be easily swayed.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by kieryn(f): 3:17pm On May 18, 2010
If the each of the couples beliefs are total opposites there is no way they can sustain a marriage. It more than tolerance and acceptance it also about making changes be willing to bend and make compromises. And many are not willing to make compromises on their faith.
Re: Does Mixed Religion Marriage Work? by luap: 6:13am On May 19, 2010
Simply said: A family that prayes together Stays together.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Mature Advice Only Please / The 7 Stages Of Marriage / What Can This Family Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.