Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) (10978 Views)

Olisa Agbakoba: This Madness Of Chicago State University Must Stop Now! / FCT 25% Requirement: Olisa Agbakoba Saw This Coming / 36 State Governors Meet In Abuja Over Bailout Fund Repayment (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by jamesjovita2022: 9:33pm On Dec 18, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYbflRoDKz4

Former President of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Dr. Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), has tackled the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) over what he described as an unwarranted media trial of the Kogi State government as regards the fresh case against a nephew of the Governor Yahaya Bello and the previous N20 billion bail-out controversy.

Agbakoba gave this position at a press conference on “The Rule of Law in Nigeria Today,” held in Lagos on Sunday, noting that the anti-corruption agency was turning itself into a one-man Robin Hood riot gang, which must not be allowed.

According to him, how a state spends its money should not be the business of the anti-graft agency, but that of the Independent Corrupt Practices Commission (ICPC).

Agbakoba, while accusing the EFCC of impunity, queried that assuming it was the commission’s business to inquire how the state spends its money, would it still be its lawful business to investigate it?

“The EFCC for example plays a very strong role in the anti-corruption strategy of Nigeria but they are also one of the institutions most guilty of breaking the rule of law,” he said.

This was just as Agbakoba quickly recalled that the Supreme Court recently said in one of its judgments that the EFCC could not be a jack of all trades and should, therefore, concentrate on what the law empowers them to do under Section 46 of their Act.

“Like the current trending case where the EFCC arrested some people in Kogi State on allegations of money laundering, I believe that case should not be the business of the EFCC, at all. Is it their business how Kogi spends their money? Even if it is their business, is it their lawful business to make that enquiry?

“The Supreme Court has recently said in one of its judgments that the EFCC cannot be a jack of all trades and that they should concentrate on what the law empowers them to do under Section 46 of their Act.

“It is not the duty of the EFCC to be chasing the Kogi State government and threatening to storm the State House to seize documents or harass the Accountant-General of the state.

“What the EFCC is currently doing is turning itself into a one-man Robin Hood riot gang. That must not be allowed and that is the impunity that I refer to.

“My advice to the EFCC is that whatever they want to do, they should remember that there is a law that created them and they must also remember that Section 46 of the EFCC Act had stated and narrowed down their functions and in a case where they want to expand their functions, they must go to the National Assembly to do so.

“If I were the lawyer to the Kogi State government, what I would do is to go to court and tell the court that as a result of the Supreme Court judgment, the EFCC does not have the power to demand that we should provide documents or give them our accounting books.

“If we have lost money, we are the ones to complain and if we are not complaining or we are complicit in any fraud, then the appropriate agency to handle it is the ICPC or the state House of Assembly,” he said.

Speaking further, the legal luminary and former President of NBA urged all the 18 candidates contesting in next year’s presidential election to clearly state their commitments to the rule of law and the war against corruption, stressing that candidates must make commitments to Nigerians to sack any government official who violates the rule of law, deliberately disobeys court orders or engages in media trials.

“So the candidates (2023 election candidates) must tell us what they are going to do with all these agencies because we need to know if they are going to allow the EFCC to continue to engage in media trials and carry on as the attack dog of the Federal Government against other arms and levels of governments,” he said.

Agbakoba, who noted that some of the presidential candidates for the 2023 polls had released their manifestoes, said their positions on how they would tackle corruption and also relate with the various anti-corruption agencies were not well spelt out.

According to him, the present state of the rule of law in Nigeria is very precarious, saying that the country needed a revolution to make it the bedrock of governance.

Giving further reasons on why presidential candidates’ position on their commitments to the rule of law and the war against corruption must be known, Agbakoba said this became imperative because most of the investigating agencies had abandoned their duties to the EFCC.

“It is a big problem because it appears as if it is nobody’s job and the EFCC has somehow taken over the responsibility of all other agencies, thereby overreaching itself.

“I believe that the EFCC is overburdened with too much responsibility. I recently saw the EFCC Chairman, Bawa on television, saying that the Commission is auctioning forfeited properties seized from convicted criminals, which should not be his job.

“I challenge anybody to tell me anywhere in the world that an agency with the same functions as that of the EFCC does three distinct jobs of investigation, prosecution and disposal of seized or recovered assets.

“I believe what the EFCC should do is to face investigation, as is done by similar agencies around the world. The commission is not an agency that is capable of effectively prosecuting cases. This is the reason they do not win most of their cases in court.

“I will strongly recommend that the prosecutorial power of the EFCC should be transferred to a new National Prosecution Agency. The Department of Public Prosecution in the Federal Ministry of Justice could be carved out and made independent to perform this role,” he said.

“We also need a new body that will deal with recovered assets and other proceeds of crime so that the EFCC can face its primary function of investigating financial and economic crimes,” he added.

Source: https://tribuneonlineng.com/kogi-agbakoba-tackles-efcc-over-n20bn-bail-out-gov-bellos-nephew/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by majole: 9:40pm On Dec 18, 2022
From his name, you know looting state fund is not a crime to him. Lawyers like him are the reason looting has become our culture

25 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by Afamsi: 9:44pm On Dec 18, 2022
Efcc is now a tool for political aggression.

9 Likes

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by TheTWM: 10:27am On Dec 19, 2022
Nice.
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by Reporting34(f): 10:27am On Dec 19, 2022
Please everyone don't mind this fraudsters Anthony okeke is back with a full forces to continue scamming Nairaland people with the same format he has always been using, so just check the format oloriburuku man is still using to defraud a lot of people's here on Nairaland just be aware not to be scam

Pls guys, if you're led to help pls kindly assist me with some money to buy drugs. Am very sick with malaria and typhoid but I haven't taken drugs or eaten anything since morning due to lack of money. I live with my dad who is retired and my mom is late. Am pleading from my heart pls kindly assist me pls. may God bless you.
Acct no: Angela

Please don't send a penny to this fraudster

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by MisterGrace: 10:28am On Dec 19, 2022
grin We know the truth.

Thank you CBN for the currency change.

Bello and his co thieves took a very huge sum in the region of 10 Billion of Kogi People's
they stole to BDC to change and EFCC swung into action and nabbed them.

The 20 Billion Naira was forfeited and now this one.

1. He initially wanted to do table payment to civil servants, but EFCC refused.
2. He could not make cash payment to contractors for emergency fraudulent contracts.
3. He could not change the money to Dollars at once.

The dirty fvgly and heartless criminal will go to jail for all his atrocities.

Bello is an unrepentant thief.

And for you posting this because of few crumbs, may your life be managed the way Bello is managing Kogi civil servants (state and local)
May your life be as rough as all the roads in Kogi state. Idi.ot!

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:28am On Dec 19, 2022
Like the current trending case where the EFCC arrested some people in Kogi State on allegations of money laundering,
I believe that case should not be the business of the EFCC, at all.
Is it their business how Kogi spends their money?

Even if it is their business, is it their lawful business to make that enquiry?
.....and the above is coming from a SAN?
Like seriously ?!
Is this person encouraging fraud/crime or what exactly?!
THIS SOUNDS somewhat!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 10:30am On Dec 19, 2022
majole:
From his name, you know looting state fund is not a crime to him. Lawyers like him are the reason looting has become our culture
Hmmmmm, this is deep!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by inoki247: 10:31am On Dec 19, 2022
We go shout we want the youth we go see Youth dere own type of scam dey always go extreme imagine investing people hard earned salary for ur own selfish gain.....

If care isn't taken the kind of Youth we go dey elect now will be using the masses money to carry 2 odds for Sportybett...

3 Likes

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by money121(m): 10:31am On Dec 19, 2022
Ok
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by Geeman2006: 10:34am On Dec 19, 2022
Even though we know Kogi state is full of thieving rogues in power, Mr Agbakoba is right. There is rule of law and way things should be done. It is such high handedness by Govt agencies/Officials that make them always flout judgments and are always in contempt of Court.
Its like saying the FBI will arrest, charge , prosecute, seize and auction items from criminals. You cant be a jack of all trades.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by AfonjaPriest: 10:35am On Dec 19, 2022
Reporting34:
Please everyone don't mind this fraudsters Anthony okeke is back with a full forces to continue scamming Nairaland people with the same format he has always been using, so just check the format oloriburuku man is still using to defraud a lot of people's here on Nairaland just be aware not to be scam

Pls guys, if you're led to help pls kindly assist me with some money to buy drugs. Am very sick with malaria and typhoid but I haven't taken drugs or eaten anything since morning due to lack of money. I live with my dad who is retired and my mom is late. Am pleading from my heart pls kindly assist me pls. may God bless you.

The fraudster will not get a dime from me, but the lightning from the goddess, Agbalagba.
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by Akfrenzy(m): 10:36am On Dec 19, 2022
grin
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by Funflipper: 10:44am On Dec 19, 2022
majole:

Forget about the name and where he is from. What he said is 100% correct.

3 Likes

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by Lifestone(m): 10:58am On Dec 19, 2022
Funflipper:

Forget about the name and where he is from. What he said is 100% correct.
This is what Section 46 of efcc act says
Olisa as much as I like him goofed this time around

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by kings4sera(m): 10:59am On Dec 19, 2022
Ogun kill you there Olida Agbakogba.
See underdevelopment and poverty in Kogi State and these idiot is sowwing thrash.
Let him go to Okene and say that is he wont be mobbed

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by FrancescoFarino(f): 11:07am On Dec 19, 2022
nawa oo
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by SeeItSayIt: 11:22am On Dec 19, 2022
Only a corrupt mind will be defending Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi State & his team of rogues but the Ebiras I knew will definitely teach him some lessons after his term in office.

Vote Mrs. Natasha for Senate - Kogi Central & HE Peter Obi for Pregnancy

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by DaveHarry(m): 11:37am On Dec 19, 2022
SeeItSayIt:
Only a corrupt mind will be defending Gov. Yahaya Bello of Kogi State & his team of rogues but the Ebiras I knew will definitely teach him some lessons after his term in office.

Vote Mrs. Natasha for Senate - Kogi Central & HE Peter Obi for Pregnancy
Not really. He is making clear the dos and donts of the antigraft agency. Abi you expect police to dey handle land matters?
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by WantsandMore: 11:51am On Dec 19, 2022
majole:
The law is blind, lawyers like him exploit the inadequacies of the law, why aren't these inadequacies amended and or expunged?
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by foolbuster: 12:10pm On Dec 19, 2022
majole:

Oga read first or at least watch the video. Haba.
They are all thieves but EFCC should act within the dictates of the laws of the land.

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by Fantastictelem: 12:16pm On Dec 19, 2022
This is a disappointing position from agbakoba. Are states following the law with their reckless misappropriation of fund in their states? Dangote doesn't spend his hard earned money the way our leaders spend our commonwealth. Lawyers are the ones responsible for the corruption ravaging our nation, they write our laws for us and leave loopholes that they would use to argue against the law when corrupt leaders engage them as defence counsels. I don't mind whichever method is used to recover the stolen wealth of kogi state. Is he right to withdraw N10 billions cash and convert it to dollar? Is he right to owe workers and pensioners their monthly dues?

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by JoeNL22(m): 12:50pm On Dec 19, 2022
Obi....ensure Insanity is uprooted from this country.

For with GOD, President Omoluabi Ahmed Obi must be Possible. Datti's a Fact!

Nitoripe pelu OLORUN, Aare Omoluabi Ahmed Obi gbodo le se, Òótọ́ niyẹn!

N'ihi na n'ebe CHINEKE nọ, Onye isi ala Omoluabi Ahmed Obi ga-enwerịrị ike, Nke ahụ bụ Eziokwu!

Domin tare da ALLAH, dole ne shugaba Omoluabi Ahmed Obi ya zama mai yiwuwa, Wannan Gaskiya ne!

فبوجود الله يجب أن يكون الرئيس أمولابي أحمد أوبي ممكناً. هذه حقيقة!

Car avec DIEU, le Président Omoluabi Ahmed Obi doit être Possible, C'est un Fait!

This message is brought to you by;
The Cummissioner, Southwest citizens for President Omoluabi Obi.
IFEOLUWA OSHO..
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by ElPhoche(m): 1:21pm On Dec 19, 2022
Yokak676:
Ok next continue

READ ON

Hey guys it still paying

Palmpay are giving out #10,000 naira to new user till 1st January 2023 instantly after signing up using the special campaign link I will drop below
Even old user de use another number to register and collect it, I have collected my own so I will share with you how to get the #10,000 and when you receive it you send 20% as my own share no fakers... It free Christmas money no use am play o

First use the verify link only to sign up . after sign up download the app don't forget download the app and still use the same number you put in the link to sign up in the app
and register with your real name.. under 2 minutes you will receive a message from palmpay to your phone number saying you have successfully received your #10,000 naira new user bonus to your palmpay account.... Open your app and withdraw the money fast

Visit the Facebook post to find the verify link .https://www.facebook.com/100087321703803/posts/pfbid0emc42hCDjf1baB738MDZecqwCWxj1CLcnaXdqh31nxqU2QTSnUCc8k7dpGSxDc15l/?app=fbl
How can you create an account today and start looking for who to scam?
Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by BigIyanga: 1:56pm On Dec 19, 2022
majole:
Folks like you always kill people’s name … yet go around and vote and adulate corrupt politrickians.

Show us anywhere where he has been convicted of corruptly enriching himself.. NoNe

Show us where you or ur parents fought Abacha in Nigeria.. None. Agbakoba can show you his scars, wounds, for fighting Abacha and co.

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by prophetfire: 4:50pm On Dec 19, 2022
majole:
Did you read and understand his submission and argument at all? You lack reading and comprehension abilities.
Where did he in any way support corruption or oppose EFCC carrying out their legally empowered duties?

1 Like

Re: Kogi: Olisa Agbakoba Tackles EFCC Over Bailout, Bello's Nephew (Video) by HardMirror(m): 1:47pm On Dec 22, 2022
Reporting34:

Let me explain what is going on to you.
It is all a scam.
The person behind this knows how nairaland works. She knows that the mods will delete the posts she uses to beg ad probably block her account too.
So she improvised. She uses an old account to quickly quote the post where she is soliciting for money with another account and pretend to beg people to help the begger.

This is the main account https://www.nairaland.com/flysinglemom

When i tried warning her to stop, she started trying to blackmail me not knowing i am a shameless man. grin

Attached are screen shots. Notice how she quickly changes account and how she always quotes the same begger almost immediatly she posts her scam.

The broke ass claims she owns lagos lagoon hospital and would teach me a lesson. Lol. If she is sure of herself we can meet at a police station so i will tender my case and she would proove she knows nothing about the scam and does not know who the angela ubi is.

See screenshots and judge for yourselves

demoBaba:

You posted this at 6:37am, also claimed not eat since morning. This shows you're a SCAMMER.
Kals4luv990

Thrillionaire

Weldone guys on sporting the scam
Below is the profile of the impostor
She intentionally used this seductive picture so she can trap simps
https://www.nairaland.com/flysinglemom

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Crowd Hails President Buhari & Tinubu As They Enter Bauchi Rally Venue (Video) / Senate Summons Ribadu, IGP, Security Chiefs, DSS Over Plateau Killings / Nnamdi Kanu Says: Biafra Is Igbos' Religion. Igbos Would Only Make Heaven Thru B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.