Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,758 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

Pregnant Women In Work Places - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Pregnant Women In Work Places (10216 Views)

Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys / Few Tips For Husbands Of Pregnant Women. / Why Do Pregnant Women Attached Safety-Pin(s) To Their Clothes/wears? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnant Women In Work Places by IfeLuvely: 3:53pm On Aug 31, 2011
I'm just wondering why some employers make things terribly hard for pregnant women in work places sad e.g concerning their antenatal appointments and maternity leave/pay. For example one of my friend is pregnant she lives in naija n she was only given 2months off (without pay as well!) to go have the baby n then either come back or resign. Another friend who leaves in the UK already secured a job, had a starting date, then when she informed the employer she is pregnant, they said she cannot start the job any longer due to health and safety reasons. Please is anyone facing or has faced such difficulties during their child bearing times, and also, what are womens maternity rights both in naija and the UK.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by MissIfe(f): 8:26pm On Aug 31, 2011
It happened to me too, same thing as your UK friend. Needless to say I felt terrible and resented it for a long time. After that I have changed my career path to a less competitive area, The thing is, even in places where the law is in favor of pregnant women, there is a need to prove what the company did, and no decent HR will write down that the job can no longer be given to u due to the pregnancy. Even if the lady lies about her condition (that can work out the first few months), when the boss finds out it is very likely that she will go through hard times in the workplace.

It ain't easy for ladies, But that's something we should all keep in mind when/if we ever have to hire someone, so as not to reproduce the same treatment,
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by tpia5: 8:47pm On Aug 31, 2011
maternity leave in nigeria is either six weeks or three months, i think.

its not easy anywhere except maybe some european countries that give up to four or so months off.

but one of my teachers in nigeria had a kid every year unfailingly [i think her husband was a bit well off]. She had about five when i knew her.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by xxcarolxx(f): 9:42pm On Aug 31, 2011
Employers who make things hard for pregnant employes are leaving them-selves open to been sued, You are entitled to paid time off to attend antental appointments they can not ask you to do this in your own time. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/index.htm hope this link helps,
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Outstrip(f): 10:56pm On Aug 31, 2011
Six weeks is really not unusual in the US. I think you can get a little more if you had a C-section. If you have the sick time then you are expected to use that for your ante natal. You can use vacation time if you run out of sick time. As for them discriminating against you just because you are pregnant you can definitely sue them if you can prove it. In this day and age you would think that employers would be smarter
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Nobody: 4:34am On Sep 01, 2011
man,yankee is different totally,wife never had such issues,she still has her job and she was off work for 2 months,she had vacation time saved while coy gave her 2weeks
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by dayokanu(m): 4:39am On Sep 01, 2011
Maybe you should look at things from the employers point of view
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Rastamann: 6:49am On Sep 01, 2011
man,yankee is different totally,wife never had such issues,she still has her job and she was off work for 2 months,she had vacation time saved while coy gave her 2weeks

if yankee different then come back naija!
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by 27naira(m): 7:20am On Sep 01, 2011
No employer will take a pregnant at the time of employment.
Don't blame them, maybe you need to understand that nobody will be willing to spend money on a near-redundant resource. It might appear alittle harsh but that is reality.
I cannot employ you, put you on a salary and then after two months you apply for a 6 week maternity leave. NOO! it doesnt work that way.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Exponental(m): 7:27am On Sep 01, 2011
Not actually heard of any coy nt allowin maternity leave, though posible but I want to believe there is a legal backup 4 ds.
A pregnant woman 4 a new job, she's not likely to be very active(not giving her best), this I believe is a reason why most coy wont want her.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Nobody: 7:50am On Sep 01, 2011
In the UK, You can take up to a year off for maternity leave and daddys are allowed 2 weeks paternity leave.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Demdem(m): 8:02am On Sep 01, 2011
When will we start enjoying paternity leave in Naija?
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 01, 2011
^^^ a few already do
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Nayah(f): 9:51am On Sep 01, 2011
In France you 're off from the seventh month, which I think it's a bit hard for a woman because she'q already tired from the 4th or 5thn but anyway that's law
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by manakeagie: 11:38am On Sep 01, 2011
there is something that we need to know , as working young ladies we are supposed to be entitled to maternity leave and pay failure to attain just go to courts of law because we have to give birth besides our Jobs,
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by yogun(f): 11:46am On Sep 01, 2011
i Think in Nigeria a woman is only entitled to Maternity leave after being confirmed on a job in most organisation. I got 12 wks maternity with full payment where i work which is in d private sector.

i think 3mths is way too small for a woman to recover from child delivery. take my case for instance, i went on Mat leave 5wks before the baby arrived due to some complications. my baby was barely 7 wks when i had to resume work. thanks to my Mom she was the one that looks after my daughter at that tender age, though i resume work 1hr later than resumption time and close 1hr earlier than close of work for 3mths but it cant be compared.

i wish there cld be a more effective change in law concerning pregnant women and they are not seen as unproductive as labelled in most organisations.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Outstrip(f): 12:31pm On Sep 01, 2011
yogun:

i Think in Nigeria a woman is only entitled to Maternity leave after being confirmed on a job in most organisation. I got 12 wks maternity with full payment where i work which is in d private sector.

i think 3mths is way too small for a woman to recover from child delivery. take my case for instance, i went on Mat leave 5wks before the baby arrived due to some complications. my baby was barely 7 wks when i had to resume work. thanks to my Mom she was the one that looks after my daughter at that tender age, though i resume work 1hr later than resumption time and close 1hr earlier than close of work for 3mths but it cant be compared.

i wish there cld be a more effective change in law concerning pregnant women and they are not seen as unproductive as labelled in most organisations.

And you are complaining. Hmm. That was a vacation they gave you there
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by hafees: 12:38pm On Sep 01, 2011
I work in Human Resources, and the practice is 12 weeks, recently the FG approved 16 weeks. We pay full salary during maternity leave, and the company also take care of the hospital bills. For antenatal, you are allowed to work half, one day in a week so you can attend.

I must say that lots of ladies have abused this, sometimes they do not come to work at all on ante natal day and this got us thinking in HR. While we want to be caring, we ust equally think about the company too, if the company, thats where we earn our bread.

They are also allowed to close ahead of other staff for 3 months. The law however does not stipulate somethings, like payment, closing time, etc
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Sammiejo: 1:19pm On Sep 01, 2011
@hafees; please can you post the link to this new 16 weeks approval by the federal government.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by yogun(f): 1:24pm On Sep 01, 2011
@ Outstrip

I wasn't complaining, i talked abt my experience and wish there's a uniform law across board.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by sirabbey(m): 2:52pm On Sep 01, 2011
Things are not as terrible for Pregnant Women in Nigeria as some folks want us to believe, I think it depends on where one work, My wife got 18 weeks of maternity leave during the birth of our baby (12 weeks maternity leave and 6 weeks annual leave all taken at a stretch) and when she resumed she was allowed to close work 2 hours earlier than her colleague for 3 more months. Never once  was her salary delayed for a day during this period, she was paid in full throughout the maternity period. Nigeria we hail thee
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by IbitoruA(f): 3:23pm On Sep 01, 2011
In Sweden, maternity leave can be as long as 1 year
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by hafees: 3:23pm On Sep 01, 2011
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2009/06/fg-okays-16-wk-maternity-leave-for-workers/

I will post the link from the FG site as soon as i get it
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by yogun(f): 3:26pm On Sep 01, 2011
@Sirabbey: like you said it depends on where one works,

Automatically in some organization u forfeit annual leave wen you go for Mat leave

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by dayokanu(m): 3:31pm On Sep 01, 2011
Ibitoru A:

In Sweden, maternity leave can be as long as 1 year

And after the one year she resumes with a 2 month pregnacy again
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by ronkebp(f): 4:36pm On Sep 01, 2011
The company i work for, you are entitiled to 3 months maternity leave and also FML (family medical leave) which could be upto 12weeks, depending on the state's law. and durng that leave (FML) you will be paid half your salary and also would be allowed to return to the same position.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by dexymine: 5:25pm On Sep 01, 2011
Hi All, just to let you know that the news is not all bleak for pregnant women. Some employers are realistic enough to know that employing a married woman or ladies usually involves the "procreation element". From personal experience, I know that it's possible to get a job even when you're visibly pregnant! I was 6 months gone when I landed a job in Nigeria - they weren't discouraged by my physical state and were more concerned about my potential.

Bottom line, if an employer should refuse you employment because of a "temporary" physical condition, you probably don't want to work there, anyway.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Omoangel: 5:39pm On Sep 01, 2011
In SA, you get 4 months' maternity leave - the company is not legally bound to pay you during that time, but most companies do provide paid/partially paid maternity leave. There is an unemployment insurance fund that every employed person contributes to, so if you are unpaid, you can claim from that for up to four months. I started at my new job when I was about six months pregnant so because I had less than a year's service at the company, I could only take two months' unpaid leave coz I couldn't afford to go without my full salary (UIF only pays a certain portion of you salary and its capped at R12000 for the full months). I was a bit bitter coz I had worked for the company before (five years - so I had 10 months' broken service) , but my partner told me I was lucky to have been hired while pregnant in the first place so I just had to be grateful.
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Fhemmmy: 5:42pm On Sep 01, 2011
I think instead of blaming the people, blame the govt, cos if there is a standard laid down to follow, it will make life easy . . . i do agree that it is pathetic that people are being treated that way, but it is the world of the poor and the master that is enslaving them cos of the paycheck . . . .
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Fhemmmy: 5:43pm On Sep 01, 2011
IN Canada, you get One year and your Employment Insurance could do the magic . . . . the father could share the One year with the mother . . .
Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 01, 2011
i'll jus leave this here

Re: Pregnant Women In Work Places by plappville(f): 12:18am On Sep 02, 2011
Insert Quote
I think instead of blaming the people, blame the govt, cos if there is a standard laid down to follow, it will make life easy . . . i do agree that it is pathetic that people are being treated that way, but it is the world of the poor and the master that is enslaving them cos of the paycheck  . . . .

Very right, the law has a great role to play here, if we are to generalise, it will be that in Nigeria only private staff gets this chance. On like here in France its a womans right to stay for 3 months if 1-2 child, for the 3rd child its 6 months complete, and can be extended. The payment is done by the social security and its 100%. even when u lost ur job befor u had ur baby u still ve the chance of earning about 70% of what u workd for.
This is apply to every working class be it private or civil service worker.
Nigeria GVM should work on this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

, / Photo ...wife Caught Cheating Husband Having Séx With Her Best Friend / Advice On Verbally Abusive Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.