Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,299 members, 7,829,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (39919 Views)

What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians In Malaysia Do For A Living? / Why Do People Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 10:53pm On Dec 28, 2022
sotall:
Because the whole religion thing is a scam.

Religion is one of the factors that limits Nigeria from developing.

Imagine a people that are constantly being told to believe they are going to heaven that earth is not their home.

Clown.

Do you even reason at all?

Count all the entrepreneurs and owners of successful businesses in Nigeria,professors, Engineers ,wealthy ppl ,ppl that have made their name in any endeavour in this country and tell me the numbers that are atheist or non religious.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by naijamerican: 10:53pm On Dec 28, 2022
Nigeria is a failed nation. Can’t blame anyone for wanting to japa, especially when millions of Nigerians are seriously considering Tinibu or atik despite all the death, killing, and inflation. I’m done feeling sorry for Nigerians. It’s clear God has cursed this nation and I fell sorry for anyone stuck in the country.

Japa while you still can

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 10:55pm On Dec 28, 2022
HRprof:
When you get to abroad you will realized that religious is man made and church is a structure.
In Nigeria a lazy man believe manners fall from heaven and Nigeria pastors open churches to hustle. Churches plenty for Nigeria because of poverty level not because God call anybody to open church as they claim. In abroad time is money, we spend time in church while they spend time at work.
As Nigerian when you see a country that work with a good system and less corrupt leaders with less church present you will realize that we have been deceived with religious bluhaha

That's not true.

Churches are many in Nigeria becos we Africans are diabolic and superstitious.

Even if you remove all the Churches in Nigeria, Nigeria would still be a 3rd world country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 10:57pm On Dec 28, 2022
AderonkeOlaniyi:
'Religion is the opium of the people'
--Karl Marx (1818 - 1883)

Very useless dumb quote.

Now that Africa has the land, what have they done with it?

Clowns
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 10:58pm On Dec 28, 2022
rex21:
We are greedy Christians

You the only one that, has written something that is reasonable.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 11:01pm On Dec 28, 2022
phorget:
The word ”RELIGION” is a scam!
When we live by morals then we would realize what damage religion has caused us.

So where do morals come from, if not from religeon?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 11:03pm On Dec 28, 2022
faithfull18:
Are Nigerians really religious, maybe but majority do not open God's commands or please God for real. If majority did, Nigeria won't be the way she presently is.

So true.

God bless U.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by kabukabu50(m): 11:03pm On Dec 28, 2022
The countries with highest GDP per capita are the least religious.

Organized society where everything works,less belief in the supernatural.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Advancedman(m): 11:06pm On Dec 28, 2022
ayandee:

Exactly. Here, you will understand true christanity. People seek God here just to be intimate with Him, nothing more. The sermons do not speak of the preacher's accomplishments. The focus is on the Bible. Even the prayer is not rhetoric. They pray like they are conversing with God.

No mention of tithe or offering. The donations box is at the back of the church hall. If you want to give, you go there and give as you are led. No compulsion. You can even get receipts for your donations for tax purposes. Every quarter, the church will include the quarterly financial statements in the newsletter showing total income and expenditure. The church system is transparent and in spite of not making annuncements for tithes and offering, the year end reports of the church show they had a surplus. The only thing I miss is the Naija church dance.

Yoruba church vibe or another party inside church Naija I hail o.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 11:07pm On Dec 28, 2022
quentin06:
Religion = Poverty.

Clown.

Am sure you have never created any successful business or project, and you want us to believe that the founder and owners of all the indigenous succesfull enterprises in Nigeria are like you( irreligious)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by bezimo(m): 11:08pm On Dec 28, 2022
I came abroad over 10 years ago for school.
A Canadian citizen today.I tell you I ain't less religious than I was in Nigeria. God that helped me in the beginning is still my God today and forever. I still bow to worship him and make my prayers to him.

What some new abroadonians dont realize is that they need God abroad more than ever before.

You coming as an immigrant black man/woman into a white man's world..Everything is already against you by default.Have you seen systemic racism before? In your quest to get a decent job. You have no idea.

Your frustration as an immigrant working survival job will continue..you will be abroad oh but you will be among the least here..working 2-3 low to minimum wage jobs to survive, when God can give you one better job that will be more than eneough.I have seen God do such for quite a few in our local church here.

When you are connected to the God of heaven, he shows you mercy and connects you in the land to helpers to advance your destiny forward.

I laugh at Nigerians who think because they travel abroad, no need for God,no need for church,no need for prayers because you have light, internet, good roads..you go soon know how far..then nobody go tell you!

In summary, I have tasted what God can do for you and I know the difference. Dont let any possessed devil tell you that you should be less religious and dont need God because you are coming abroad.You will be deceived if you think so. Hold your God tight!
Divine help is better than struggling to survive abroad!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 11:09pm On Dec 28, 2022
BreconHills:

Firstly no country in the world can guarantee full employment and freedom from economic hardship. Many people turn their personal experiences into wisdom for the world.

Secondly, I think the post says more about our form of Christianity or religion than anything else. In our version faith is largrly a means of getting stuff rather than bringing God's will into the earth.

Finally, the poster may well be single or have no children yet. As his family grows he will understand the need for prayer and faith when the state starts moulding his children into its secular humanist model.

Then he will pray and fast.

So true

Most ppl are ingnorant, they think the west just woke up and became less religious.

War is been waged continuously on family values, and christains morals and norms in those countries, using Celebrities, sports,TV, entertainment, politics e.t.c.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
UNDFTD:

Is this question real or a joke? The reason why Nigerians become less religious while living abroad is very simple...they have seen the light to know that their religious indoctrination in Nigeria is NOTHING but hogwash. They have come to realize that religion in Nigeria is nothing but a way to impoverish the masses and hold them down while enriching their so-called man of God.

Crap.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by phorget(m): 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2022
blueAgent:

Morals doesn't come from religion.
Morals is inbuilt in us and we only nurture it or kill it as we grow older. It is the little voice of truth and reasoning that guides us. Just as you don't have to wait for someone to tell you that you are hungry since you automatically know when you hungry same way is moral.

Do anyone have to tell you that stealing is bad? The same way you'll feel if someone should steal from you would also be the same way someone else will feel should you steal from him or her so that automatically tells you that stealing is bad.
We should first make morals our companion then becoming religious becomes easy.
Morals can stand without religion whereas religion cant stand without morals.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Thazard(m): 11:16pm On Dec 28, 2022
ednut1:
many also do not enjoy oyinbo churches because its civil and lacks gra gra. Nigerian churches may also be far away.
Lacks gragra? gringringrin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jaephoenix(m): 11:17pm On Dec 28, 2022
blueAgent:

Morals didn’t come from religion. Early humans used collaborative foraging to develop a new kind of cooperative reasoning that led them to treat others as equally deserving partners—that is, not just with sympathy but also with a sense of fairness. You can read up more if you are so inclined, though I don't think you would.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-origins-of-human-morality/
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by IrepChrist: 11:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
omonnakoda:
That is not an answer just more self deception.
That is what you want to believe. Did any spirit tell you that you love God?

Yes
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by edoairways: 11:20pm On Dec 28, 2022
SReporters:

Hmmmm..... Well I'm no church goer so the abroad life will be well suitable for me but I agree with your points. Unfortunately, our churches in Nigeria have turned into a money making venture.... Reason why God said his judgement would first start from the church.
Please read the other part of that same scripture that talks about judgement in the house of God. Second your generalisation of Nigerian churches is not true. There are still some churches that are conscious of your soul rather than wealth

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 11:21pm On Dec 28, 2022
iramure:
Religion is a serback to Africa and Africans.. it's a calculated attempt to render us stupid. Religion is the evil affecting our develpoments in every facet of life. All Nigeria general overseers owning mega business centrrs need to be arrested and jaiked for life because they are the ones who are further promoting the scams in religion because of thier own selfish intrest. When you have the opportunity to travel to a saner environment, it is then you will realise that religion is a modern day slavery/,bondage. Africans walk into in foolishly and are made to believe they are in the right place.

Do You clowns even reason at all?

Did religeon stop Tony Elumelu from starting and owning UBA, did it stop Adenuga from owning Glo, Conoil, did it stop Jim Ovia from owning and starting Zenith bank or Dangote who is a Muslim?
I can go on and on, the evidence shows that the most successful ppl and wealth creators in Nigeria are all religious ppl, they are not atheists.

So if they are ppl who have failed Nigeria it is traditional religious ppl and atheists.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 11:23pm On Dec 28, 2022
jaephoenix:

Morals didn’t come from religion. Early humans used collaborative foraging to develop a new kind of cooperative reasoning that led them to treat others as equally deserving partners—that is, not just with sympathy but also with a sense of fairness. You can read up more if you are so inclined, though I don't think you would.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-origins-of-human-morality/

Crap, it's obvious you don't read much.

Go and read about the history of human rights and you will find that Bible was the greatest inspiration.

Google about it magna carta

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by edoairways: 11:23pm On Dec 28, 2022
BreconHills:

Firstly no country in the world can guarantee full employment and freedom from economic hardship. Many people turn their personal experiences into wisdom for the world.

Secondly, I think the post says more about our form of Christianity or religion than anything else. In our version faith is largrly a means of getting stuff rather than bringing God's will into the earth.

Finally, the poster may well be single or have no children yet. As his family grows he will understand the need for prayer and faith when the state starts moulding his children into its secular humanist model.

Then he will pray and fast.
God bless you greatly
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by UNDFTD: 11:26pm On Dec 28, 2022
blueAgent:

Crap.

Anything else? I guess that's all you can say!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by ComeToJesus: 11:31pm On Dec 28, 2022
emmaodet:
Because you don’t pray for the basic things you need in life.

What do you think most church goers pray for? God please grant me visa, before the end of 2022, I must own a car, a house, God grant me job.
Every spirit of alter from my father’s house, that is making me to experience amubo- disappointment or frustration or promise and fail in my job interviews die by fire.
It is many bro but in abroad, getting a job is normal provided you are healthy, not lazy and want to work, riding a car is normal when you have a job and pick up a mortgage, a car is yours.
Traveling for vacation to nearby cheap countries is normal since you are working.
So why should you go to church regularly or start disturbing God with your regular I receive it, I receive it.
Poverty is the root cause of many in church.
So many people are so poor that they forgot to take their sick to their sick to the hospital rather they will take them to church/prayer mountains etc and the prophets will start lying to them that it is attack from home. Which nonsense attack?
Reason why I hate keeping my problems away from my family. They are too religious for my liken.
My brother had serious malaria some years ago, instead of taking him to hospital, due to poverty, my parent started praying for him, putting annoiting oil on his head and speaking in tongue, when it got worse they ran to call nurse abele - local street nurse wey don collect freedom and get her own small chemist.
If not that I arrived that night and saw the terrible situation where the boy was shivering aggressively and quietly dying, he would have died for no reason due to poverty.
Took him to hospital, when they saw his situation sef, the nurses were just shaking their heads that we almost killed the boy.
Long story short, I spent a fortune reviving the boy and after that my parent started saying it is attack from home that most prophets they called pointed to attack from home.

Abegiiiiiii

I no dey for that one.

We pray for silly things which are normally to be gotten in saner climes …. Basic amenities.

I hate it when people come out for testimonies of getting visa (visa ooooooo), buying a tokunbo or second hand car and the pastor will lay his hand on it and bless it (not brand new ooo)

Abeg I don tire.

Omo! This comment is platinum standard. I laughed like wetin.

Bull's eye.

Having said that, there's always a God-shaped hole in every human that only God can fill. You come to a point that career and status doesn't really cut it for you any longer. You begin to long for the supernatural. At that point, it's no longer what mansions or cars or money any longer. It is the divine nudging for the Immanent.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by mastermaestro(m): 11:41pm On Dec 28, 2022
jedisco:
Nairaland and abroad matter....
Is this how high the japa fever is

The matter tire me o. Back to back topics dedicated to japa hitting front page since this month.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Franklydes(m): 11:44pm On Dec 28, 2022
True cappings. In Africa we too dey religious wether na Christian or Muslim. And what's funny is the the colonisers wey bring religion come know say e no dey work but for sure e go keep the colonised people backwards and blind
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by Probz(m): 12:02am On Dec 29, 2022
They really don’t. Believe you me.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jaephoenix(m): 12:07am On Dec 29, 2022
blueAgent:

Crap, it's obvious you don't read much.

Go and read about the history of human rights and you will find that Bible was the greatest inspiration.

Google about it magna carta
Like I predicted, you didn't even read my link. But you expect me to read yours?
Anyway, Magna Carta was used to commit crimes, and no, human rights didn’t get its origins from the Bible. It was started by Monsieur René Cassin, and he didn't involve the Bible. The Bible actually allowed slavery. Remember it told Israelites to kill babies and take captives as slaves. It even told slaves how to obey their masters. Nowhere did it castigate slavery
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by jaephoenix(m): 12:09am On Dec 29, 2022
ComeToJesus:

Omo! This comment is platinum standard. I laughed like wetin.

Bull's eye.

Having said that, there's always a God-shaped hole in every human that only God can fill. You come to a point that career and status doesn't really cut it for you any longer. You begin to long for the supernatural. At that point, it's no longer what mansions or cars or money any longer. It is the divine nudging for the Immanent.
Many successful and rich people are atheists or agnostics. From Elon Musk to Bill Gates etc. No god shaped rubbish anywhere
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 12:26am On Dec 29, 2022
jaephoenix:

Like I predicted, you didn't even read my link. But you expect me to read yours?
Anyway, Magna Carta was used to commit crimes, and no, human rights didn’t get its origins from the Bible. It was started by Monsieur René Cassin, and he didn't involve the Bible. The Bible actually allowed slavery. Remember it told Israelites to kill babies and take captives as slaves. It even told slaves how to obey their masters. Nowhere did it castigate slavery

As usual.

Who stopped slavery and why ?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by blueAgent(m): 12:28am On Dec 29, 2022
UNDFTD:

Anything else? I guess that's all you can say!

You could prove or refute my argument
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by UNDFTD: 12:33am On Dec 29, 2022
blueAgent:

You could prove or refute my argument

You're funny. I guess just saying "crap" is refuting an argument. I was expecting a well-thought-out and elucidated counterargument other than saying crap. You must do better than that!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? by faceland: 12:40am On Dec 29, 2022
Without hardship, churches would be bankrupted.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Top 5 Beaches Every Lagosian Must Visit / Have You Seen This Legless Lagos Danfo Bus Driver? (Photos) / Ambode Changes The Look Of The New Garage Motor Park At Ikeja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.