Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Logistics Or Supply Chain Management - Career (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Logistics Or Supply Chain Management (152624 Views)

Poll: What modes of training would you prefer for CIPS or CILT AND APICS or ISM professional programs?

Self study: 20% (2 votes)
Class room based lecture: 20% (2 votes)
Supported learning ( CD,Study Note/Guide): 50% (5 votes)
Lecture/assisted revisions (close to exams): 10% (1 vote)
Online/webinars lectures: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

j / Supply Chain Management OR Project Management / Logistics And Supply Chain Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Yvete(f): 8:45pm On Dec 13, 2012
yemmy_ma: Why does your MS have Technology? How is it different if it were Supply Chain Management or Engineering?
Would you want to enlighten me?

The coursework is more technical in Engineering which is advantageous to those that don't have an academic background in Supply Chain/Logistics as opposed to SCM. Its not just managerial, but practical too with field experience. I luckily got a job in Supply Chain so I decided to build a career in it.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 4:01am On Dec 14, 2012
^ Good to know. I Wish you good luck.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by slemdogg: 9:46am On Jan 02, 2013
I'll like to get reading materials for CIPS. Anyone pls help.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by eimuhb(f): 8:40pm On Feb 23, 2013
Good evening everyone, pls I need your advice on good schools that one can do an m.sc in supply chain management whether it is logistics and SCM or purchasing and SCM or operations and SCM.
I have done a research on my own and I found out that 'Uni of Westminster, U.K' is good in terms of ranking, fees, courses and they offer SAP course. Though my other choice would have been Robert Gordon Uni, U.K but they don't offer SAP course. If I get a job related to SCM, I will just do an online course at RGU.

So this is where I need your help, I need you to suggest other schools in U.K and canada that are good in terms of ranking, fees, courses and offer SAP course.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 5:43am On Feb 24, 2013
To start with, if you want the best school for Logistics and supply chain in the U.K., i would advise you look towards Cranfield School of Management. They have a reputation in that field. Close to it is i'd say Warwick, Lancaster and Harriot Watt. I'd put my money on any of them.

About Canada, i don't know how well their Supply Chain studies are ranked but i know UniManitoba has a research focused Supply Chain Masters. The same goes for Wilfried Laurier Uni. But apart from these two universities, other schools are probably doing their supply chain programs as part of an MBA specialization. So if you are open to that u might look at their MBAs as well.

Personally, i don't see Canada as a supply chain place but i believe the jobs are there if you go there. The United Kingdom has very good Logistics reputation but the schools i listed up there are top of the pile.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by eimuhb(f): 9:48pm On Feb 26, 2013
@yemmy_ma, thanks so much, I really appreciate it.
Cranfield and Warwick are quite expensive for me (18,500 and 19,000 pounds respectively). My budget for the masters programme is about 5m.
Lancaster is not accredited by CIPS.
Heriot Watt University is my best option.
I will also send my application to RGU and Westminster.

Once again thanks.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Nobody: 6:56pm On Mar 04, 2013
Plz am really passionate abt a career in Logistics and Transport. I am a graduate of Marketing waiting 4 Nysc on July. Plz advise me on how 2 go abt it. How do I start?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by westbuoi(m): 8:25pm On Mar 09, 2013
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by eimuhb(f): 11:39pm On Mar 09, 2013
thanks.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Yvete(f): 12:19am On Mar 10, 2013
eimuhb: Good evening everyone, pls I need your advice on good schools that one can do an m.sc in supply chain management whether it is logistics and SCM or purchasing and SCM or operations and SCM.

Why don't you search for schools in the US (with GA to at least, cover tuition).
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by wills(m): 6:53pm On May 24, 2013
Robert Gordon University Aberdeen UK, Logistics and Supply Chain MSc program has CIPS accreditation ,and what's more this course has the DL study option.

Excited to see this tread I started in 2006 is still alive and benefiting professionals in the field almost 7yrs down the road..a candle losses nothing by lighting another..keep posting,keep sharing your knowledge and info..God bless

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Yvete(f): 6:36pm On May 27, 2013
I'd like to encourage those of you on LinkedIn to join these groups below. They have very interesting debates that keep you updated with what's up. It's also useful for those of us tapping into Project Management simultaneously. I got my second job from a recruiter on LinkedIn through this forum. Here're the links:
Logistics-Supply-Chain-Networking-Group
Procurement Professionals (#1 Supply Chain & sourcing group)

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by nice4life: 7:01pm On May 27, 2013
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by westbuoi(m): 4:27pm On Jun 02, 2013
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by gunpoint(m): 3:05pm On Jun 03, 2013
westbuoi: Must confess this forum has been very valuable though I haven't contributed much on it.Thought it wasn't active anymore.

Concluded my masters in Purchasing and supply chain management from d Robert Gordon University on merit and also an MCIPS member.Have over six(6) years commercial skills d bulk frm th banking sector up to mid-management level.Out of this have got just 2years procurement.

I think I'm set to fully take up a career in PSCM.Actually still looking out as what seems to come is banking and really don't want that.Anyone with a typical procurement officer role can contact me.through 07068132006.BTW I stay in Lagos Island.Thank u
Hey boss, my profile is exactly lik urs, 6yrs bankn exprience, headin to rgu for an msc supply chain nd mgt.
So to my questions. For a £10,000 program, wuld u rate it mony well spent? And u are bac, no jobs wit ur msc/expirence in d uk? U r nw mcips, did u hv to do d exam or did dat com wit ur msc? Dat bit has confused me 4 a while. Wat has the job market been lik 4 u since u returnd cos I hv bin seein vacancies evrywer 4 scm professionals, etisalat, glo and oda companies r currently advertising. Jst keep us abreast of ur journey sha, to motivate d rest of us
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by westbuoi(m): 11:17pm On Jun 05, 2013
.Hi mate,for d purpose of clarity and sheding more light on ur enquiry might b wrong tho,but from my opinion let me state d following
1.Your choice for an MSc in PSCM depends on ur motivation and ofcourse career path u want to further build.
2.Having earlier critically evaluated d banking sector,trust me dr isn't much cross-functional experience u can bring to other sectors apart from d highly volatile job insecurity.Infact as I speak,lots of my former colleagues were excused off while I was away and some r now thinking of aw to further boost what they've got.I'm on d process of heading a vendor management/procurement in one of d banks(but is dt what I really want? No).I am also on a process with TOTAL,tho began it frm d UK.
3.While I might not want to seem like convincing u further as per PSCM msc,I prob gs u've considered d multi-sectoral relevance whether b it FCMG,Oil and gas(especially outsourcing as a consequence of PIB local content policy),telecoms and even public sector.PSCM is just emerging and will remain d fad even 20yrs to come.Its not business models vs business models,but supply chains vs supply chains.compaines r searching ways of achieving competitive advantage especially increasing operational efficiency and cost savings thru supplier collaborations,reducing inventory lead times,seamless logistics,etc.Nigeria is way far from it especially d manufacturing sector.Infact I'm freelancing now on designing supply cahins for a few smaller coys.Nigeria is far frm it.Eventually I wud get into consultancy but need to acquire core experience and dts I'm solicitng any assistance in dis forum.
4.RGU gives d MCIPS but incidentally just from my set 2012 sept grad batch.
5.I can bet u hv also seen d afore-mentioned points and perhaps wanna take this move.
6.If ur mind is good to go,u can't regret it.Its just a matter of time.Mayb u might b d one to partner with me to break the MONOPLY of ACCENTURE supply chain magt consultancy in Nigeria.
7.I will agree with u dr r lots of roles in SCM,but needing over 5-8 cognate experience.

2 Likes

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by gunpoint(m): 9:48am On Jun 06, 2013
Cool bro, I love d fact d MCIPS is an add on to the msc. I'm totaly in. Lik I said keep us abreast of ur doins, to open up our minds to options cos lik I nvr tot abt the private consultancy to small coys bit. I am torn btw coventry and rgu 4 d msc, any partcular reason u went to rgu? Nd jobs in d uk for post msc in scm, any hope/chances?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by westbuoi(m): 5:47pm On Jun 09, 2013
gunpoint: Cool bro, I love d fact d MCIPS is an add on to the msc. I'm totaly in. Lik I said keep us abreast of ur doins, to open up our minds to options cos lik I nvr tot abt the private consultancy to small coys bit. I am torn btw coventry and rgu 4 d msc, any partcular reason u went to rgu? Nd jobs in d uk for post msc in scm, any hope/chances?

My choice for RGU was due to its strong industry interaction with oil coys in Aberdeen the latter being UK's oil capital.Also had endorsement from sibblings who finished there.For multinational oil coys,RGU still remains a great recruitment choice especially the likes of SHELL etc.BTW RGU's tuition is highly subsidised by Oil coys carrying out joint R&Ds.

In terms of picking up some UK experience after school which attracted most Nigerians to UK unis,the 2yrs automatic post study visa's been cancelled since April 2012.I graduated afterwards,so we didnt get it.

I can confirm that Canada,Australia,and Norway still awards PSW visas,but won't know much 'bout educational standards like d UK schools.Trust me,RGU is remains a great option in terms of cost,MSc modules,quality of lecturers and international standards.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by uchecho: 11:26am On Jun 25, 2013
Interesting topic.

I have been working in an oil & gas company for a little over 3 years as the head of procurement. This is after about 5 years as a buyer in a telecom company.

I have the following academic qualifications, Level 4 Diploma (CIPS), MBA (Management), PGD (Management) HND (Secretarial Studies).

Now I have two admission letters which I want you guys to advise me on the one to go for:

One is BSc (Hons) in Logistics Management (University of Lincoln) and the other is MSc in Procurement, Logistics and Supply Chain Management (University of Salford, Manchester).

Please which of the two do you think will be better for me?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by shegzee43: 1:25pm On Jun 25, 2013
eyeruroma: I am seriously interested in Business Logistics. I want any member in the house to link me with any site where I can download freely good books on BUSINESS LOGISTICS?

Visit 4shared.com
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by uchecho: 3:36pm On Jun 25, 2013
uchecho: Interesting topic.

I have been working in an oil & gas company for a little over 3 years as the head of procurement. This is after about 5 years as a buyer in a telecom company.

I have the following academic qualifications, Level 4 Diploma (CIPS), MBA (Management), PGD (Management) HND (Secretarial Studies).

Now I have two admission letters which I want you guys to advise me on the one to go for:

One is BSc (Hons) in Logistics Management (University of Lincoln) and the other is MSc in Procurement, Logistics and Supply Chain Management (University of Salford, Manchester).

Please which of the two do you think will be better for me?
Please help me make this decision
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by IbroYaya: 5:23pm On Jun 26, 2013
uchecho: Please help me make this decision

I advice you go straight to MSc Procurement, logistics and Supply Chain Management. Reasons are that with your educational back ground, the Undergraduate program will be of less value to you.Masters programme is design to bring closer to the real field experience, so it will help you directly on your career.

Secondly the MSC program is all encompassing, with Logistics supply chain management and Procurement. Though don't get it twisted, logistics is actually suppply chain management but the inclusion of procurement makes a big difference.

Hope I helped?

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by uchecho: 9:52am On Jun 27, 2013
Thanx man. The truth is that some employers prefer BSc to HND but I believe the MSC will be a good cover. Once again, thank you. You really helped.
Ibro Yaya:

I advice you go straight to MSc Procurement, logistics and Supply Chain Management. Reasons are that with your educational back ground, the Undergraduate program will be of less value to you.Masters programme is design to bring closer to the real field experience, so it will help you directly on your career.

Secondly the MSC program is all encompassing, with Logistics supply chain management and Procurement. Though don't get it twisted, logistics is actually suppply chain management but the inclusion of procurement makes a big difference.

Hope I helped?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Nobody: 5:07am On Jul 14, 2013
Hello...please I have a bsc in politics,philosophy and economics. Recently I got interested in logistics and supply chain management after getting a job with a clearing and forwarding agent who is still kinda affiliated to a logistics company.Though from all have read so far it seems logistic training is better acquired hands-on real life experience according to someone here. But I want to know if there is any interrelationship between both and which professional exam can I write to enhance my knowledge as I intend building a career out of it,so please what's your advice Nairalanders ? Thank you.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by gunpoint(m): 5:49pm On Jul 14, 2013
Emmm. . .
Any supply chain professional working in canada in the house? Have a few questions
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by DisGuy: 1:09am On Jul 18, 2013
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Yvete(f): 9:42pm On Jul 19, 2013
hajeebolla: Hello...please I have a bsc in politics,philosophy and economics. .... But I want to know if there is any interrelationship between both and which professional exam can I write to enhance my knowledge as I intend building a career out of it,so please what's your advice Nairalanders ? Thank you.

Likewise, my BA is in International Relations & Econ, and I'm able to diverge into Supply Chain and Logistics. There's the APICS certification for operations Mgmt. Look it up if interested.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 3:30pm On Aug 03, 2013
@ wills ,good to know the thread is waxing strong,it shows Supply Chain Management is steadily gaining grounds and taking its rightful place in the scheme of things.

@gunpoint ,please shoot your questions if you don't mind as others may be benefit from the response,otherwise send a directmail as you may prefer.

I thought I should share with you guys about the supply chain event organised for Sept 4 and 5 at VI check out www.scwestafrica.com

Cheers.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by kasali4real(m): 10:42pm On Aug 20, 2013
@ Abinibi and other of my ogas in d house. Pls am a fresh graduate (industrial chemist) buh am kind of interested in logistics and SCM. Aw can I go abt it and aw can u guyz help me. BB pin 22498bbb I wud really appreciate it if am having a logistic and SCM mentor to look up to.
Thanks all the bro in d house hv learnt more than a lot in this thread God bless u all.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 2:33am On Aug 22, 2013
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by westbuoi(m): 2:27pm On Aug 26, 2013
st of us [/quote]
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by abinibi: 2:41am On Sep 07, 2013

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (25) (Reply)

Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Nigerian Police Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.