Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,989 members, 7,817,911 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Logistics Or Supply Chain Management - Career (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Logistics Or Supply Chain Management (152633 Views)

Poll: What modes of training would you prefer for CIPS or CILT AND APICS or ISM professional programs?

Self study: 20% (2 votes)
Class room based lecture: 20% (2 votes)
Supported learning ( CD,Study Note/Guide): 50% (5 votes)
Lecture/assisted revisions (close to exams): 10% (1 vote)
Online/webinars lectures: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

j / Supply Chain Management OR Project Management / Logistics And Supply Chain Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by wills(m): 10:30pm On Jan 20, 2012
 Click to join NIGERIA LOGISTICS AND SCM Professionals

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/NIGERIALOGISTICSANDSCMProfessionals/join
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yamakuza: 11:17pm On Jan 20, 2012
^ Are we shifting base?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by wills(m): 5:09pm On Jan 21, 2012
No,, NL Logistics and SCM will always be a base its been our base sine 2006. Cheers
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by jamesbellu: 10:16pm On Jan 24, 2012
Hello people,
I want guys to share experiences on the best study options
for   CIPS level 4 exams,i also want people
to share their thoughts on the Harley reed recorded lecture
cds if its really loaded and advisable.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by jamesbellu: 9:59pm On Jan 25, 2012
still expecting responses please on CIPS cd lecture kit by
Harley Reed .
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by taioluv: 11:24am On Feb 07, 2012
@jamesbellu hello,pls are Ýöû doing cips level 4 exam dis year n registered Ƒor the exam too.
I too need Ýöû to ans some qustion regardin harley reeds cds
pls hw do I contact you
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by DisGuy: 12:19pm On Feb 07, 2012
How about moving the discussion from paper qualification to how to actually get employment especially entry level and mid-level?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by DisGuy: 2:26pm On Feb 09, 2012
http://www.esc-lon.co.uk/en/default.aspx

wanna travel? grin

extended supply chain- london for April
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by jamesbellu: 10:07pm On Feb 13, 2012
@ taio luv
u can reach me on jamesbelluchi@gmail.com
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by t4thayour: 3:37pm On Feb 14, 2012
Hi guys.
The truth is, i have spent some time going through this thread and i have finally decided to build a career in supply chain management going by the several informative posts (Thanks to Wills for starting the thread and other fantastic contributors!).
My challenge however is, i've decided to get CIPS-certified, and intend sitting for the November exams, but i really do not know what stage to start from. The reason is because somewhere on the CIPS website, the whole process of what unit(s) to exempt got so unclear that i think those that have written the exams (or members) would be in the best position to advise me. (At a point, the site stated that exemption for purchasing-related units is needed for some category of people, but despite my logistics experience, i do not have any purchasing experience). I really wish to know what stage would be appropriate for me to start. (I have a B.Sc and about 8 months experience as a Logistics assistant with an IT distribution and servicing firm).
Also, i wish to know the membership process. Is it that one would register first on the CIPS site before proceeding to register for the exams or something?
Please i would appreciate contributions from the house.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by taioluv: 11:56am On Feb 21, 2012
@jamesbellu i have added you to my yahoo messenger
pls accept smiley
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by victor1(m): 3:36pm On Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for all your posts. i need to know this: i have a BSc in economics but i don't have any experience in purchasing. I just became a member of CIPs what level of the exams is ideal for me to start with?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by dan21ng: 3:48pm On Apr 19, 2012
I am glad to inform all that Uranium Technologies Limited, 13 Osho Street, Opebi Ikeja is offering SAP training on MySAP ERP and Consultancy training on the following Module as shown below.
• ERP – Enterprise Resource Planning (Integration of Business Processes)
• HCM – Human Capital Management
• FI – Financial Accounting
• CO – Management Accounting
• SCM – Supply Chain Management (Sales & Distribution, Logistics, Procurement, etc)
• MM – Material Management
• PM – Plant Maintenance
• ABAP/Netweaver
• BASIS

You can get Super User Training as low as N70,000 while that of consultancy Training can go as low as N250,000.

For further details, contact: Mr. Mathew Daniel on 08063132442, 07042388536 or mathew@utechng.com

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by fescope: 9:10pm On May 09, 2012
Hello Nairalanders,

I have masters in International Supply Chain & logistics Management, Please I will appreciate if anyone can help with employment. I can be reached via email: fescope8680@yahoo.com

kind regards
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 2:49pm On May 10, 2012
^
Where did you get your degree?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by fescope: 5:42pm On May 10, 2012
I got it from Kingston University, London
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 10:59am On May 11, 2012
Have you thought of those prof. certs like CIPS, CILT? If not i think Nigerian companies are crazy about it because i see many Nigerians getting those these days to stay competitive at work place and elsewhere.

You can join Supply Chain group and Purchasing professionals in Nigeria group on Linkedin. There are many Nigerians working in the field on that site, it might be a good way to network with them.

Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by fescope: 8:11pm On May 11, 2012
@ Yemmy ma

Thank you, I really appreciate your reply. I already have full exemption from both CIPS & CILT, which means am an associate member. All I need is three years experience to get my MCIPS OR MILT respectively. Main while, I already joined the linked in page, thanks to you
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by opegbuyi: 3:50pm On May 21, 2012
is there a certification in supply chain management?

i have looked through the range of certifications in logistics and supply chain management which includes CILT and CIPS. I am not comfortable with the various levels required one is required to pass before one can get certified. Is there not a one-off examination that one can pass at a sitting and get a certification? Do you know of any?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 10:44am On May 22, 2012
@Opebiyi,

That is why if you have a masters from an accredited university, you could be exempted from the exams. A work experience of 3 years is all you need to get the qualification.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Fiver: 12:18pm On May 22, 2012
Hi people im thinking of returning to nigeria in the near future, but im considering my option in the manufacturing sector

Which course would be more suitable for the economy

Msc Purchasing & Supply chain Management

Msc Operations and Supply Chain Management

As much as i want to do the second one, I am working at the moment, hence time restricted for a full time course
the first one is available part time over two years and part time, evening
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 2:45pm On May 22, 2012
well, i think if you can analyse the Nigerian economy and see how things are done at the moment and what could probably change in the nearest future. I think operations and supply chain management looks good to cover some manufacturing topics for you. But for your job, i think you should do the first one. Supply chain is supply chain nobody can tell if you studied operations management or not. Just develop yourself with self studies towards the operations aspect and defend yourself well in interviews. I think you will be roaring to go.

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by Fiver: 1:46pm On May 24, 2012
Thanks, im trying to analyse the economy from afar, though I have never worked in it,I do understand there's a big FMCG segment, so something to key into these afterwards or something with broad enough scope to get into other segment

I want to do my NYSC this oct/nov then either return to start my course with this sept group or just start properly in January '13
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by taioluv: 6:36am On May 29, 2012
Hello my people, A̶̲̥̅♏ so sad, pls I need advice on what to do, I register Ƒor cips exam dis 2012 Ƒor july but unfortunately Ƒor me I didnt get my postal letter from cips on time due to d mail box I used, I got d letter yestaday and saw I was registered to do d exam 2wks ago, and I didnt even get dia emails stating wen to do d exam.

Can I write to cips stating this misunderstanding and send my evidence that I didnot register for may but Ƒor july exam,if D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ can still let me do it in november cause I don't want to loose my money fro the exam.☹☹
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 9:14am On May 29, 2012
taio luv: Hello my people, A̶̲̥̅♏ so sad, pls I need advice on what to do, I register Ƒor cips exam dis 2012 Ƒor july but unfortunately Ƒor me I didnt get my postal letter from cips on time due to d mail box I used, I got d letter yestaday and saw I was registered to do d exam 2wks ago, and I didnt even get dia emails stating wen to do d exam.

Can I write to cips stating this misunderstanding and send my evidence that I didnot register for may but Ƒor july exam,if D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ can still let me do it in november cause I don't want to loose my money fro the exam.☹☹

Contact them already to clear it out. You will be wasting more time if you expect to get an answer on this forum

1 Like

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by fescope: 3:47pm On May 29, 2012
@Fiver

Just a pointer, either a university calls it purchasing and Supply Chain Management or Logistics and Supply Chain Management or Operations and Supply Chain Management, I want you to know Supply Chain Management is Supply Chain Management. All you need to worry about is the modules these various universities offer on the course. For instance, I studied international supply chain & logistics management, had finance as one of my core modules, but I enjoyed it because I have an accounting background. on the contrary, a lot of guys with engineering background struggled and had to change their courses to IT for supply chain management which was more inclined to what they did for BSc. Besides it was easy for them to change their course because we all did the same modules except for one or two. Don't get me wrong, the best guy in finance in my class was actually an engineer with BAE systems. Its all about understanding your capabilities so that you can come out tops. I did not have operations management as my course title, yet we ran two distinct operation management modules. In short, the modules is all that matters.

The modules I did were as follows:

Operations management, Strategic operations management, supply chain management, managing people & Organisation, Information management (quantitative data analysis & information systems), Logistics, strategic outsourcing, International logistics and finance for SCM.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by taioluv: 6:56pm On May 29, 2012
@yemmy_ma thanks so much will do it fast and with faith they will transfer me to november batch.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 10:32am On May 30, 2012
fescope: @Fiver

Just a pointer, either a university calls it purchasing and Supply Chain Management or Logistics and Supply Chain Management or Operations and Supply Chain Management, I want you to know Supply Chain Management is Supply Chain Management. All you need to worry about is the modules these various universities offer on the course. For instance, I studied international supply chain & logistics management, had finance as one of my core modules, but I enjoyed it because I have an accounting background. on the contrary, a lot of guys with engineering background struggled and had to change their courses to IT for supply chain management which was more inclined to what they did for BSc. Besides it was easy for them to change their course because we all did the same modules except for one or two. Don't get me wrong, the best guy in finance in my class was actually an engineer with BAE systems. Its all about understanding your capabilities so that you can come out tops. I did not have operations management as my course title, yet we ran two distinct operation management modules. In short, the modules is all that matters.

The modules I did were as follows:

Operations management, Strategic operations management, supply chain management, managing people & Organisation, Information management (quantitative data analysis & information systems), Logistics, strategic outsourcing, International logistics and finance for SCM.

@Fescope,

Did you do quantitative techniques/tools during your studies? I mean Operations Research or Management Science? Optimization?

Do you know about them? If you did not, do you know their importance to Logistics?

Y,
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by fescope: 10:23pm On May 30, 2012
@ Yemmy Ma

Like I mentioned earlier in my post, various university may name a course however they see fit. Nevertheless, course contents are all the same in the long run. I did informations management which is in two parts namely quantitative data analysis (QDA) & Information systems (IS).

And if I understand you well, QDA is synonymous with your quantitative techniques/tools. Now, I did operations research (OR) at undergraduate level and I found QDA more challenging. therefore, in my own opinion, be it OR, QDA or quantitative techniques/tools like you highlighted. Its all statistics in a nut shell & supply chain management rely on statistics most of the time i.e. a well trained supply chain personnel must be able to read, understand & process data at a glance.

To be honest, I actually struggled a bit on your question on management science, but I think its synonymous with managing people & organisation (MPO) which was a compulsory elective module I ran. Some universities call it strategic management too, so don't get confused.

Furthermore, one of the most primary functions of a well managed SCM is cost optimisation. See the link below for more explanation of optimisation.

http://www.4eto.co.uk/SCM/supply-chain-optimisation-sco-pg1.asp

Please note that in as much as logistics is broad, its still a part of a total supply chain management system. Therefore all the information about SCM above applies to Logistics as well. Besides discourses have been raised in recent times by academics & consultants alike about a supply chain oriented Logistics management, most especially is port management and international logistics in general.

However, if you need more information about the importance of MPO, please let me know. There is just to much to write, so I summarised.
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 11:19am On May 31, 2012
fescope: @ Yemmy Ma

Like I mentioned earlier in my post, various university may name a course however they see fit. Nevertheless, course contents are all the same in the long run. I did informations management which is in two parts namely quantitative data analysis (QDA) & Information systems (IS).

And if I understand you well, QDA is synonymous with your quantitative techniques/tools. Now, I did operations research (OR) at undergraduate level and I found QDA more challenging. therefore, in my own opinion, be it OR, QDA or quantitative techniques/tools like you highlighted. Its all statistics in a nut shell & supply chain management rely on statistics most of the time i.e. a well trained supply chain personnel must be able to read, understand & process data at a glance.

To be honest, I actually struggled a bit on your question on management science, but I think its synonymous with managing people & organisation (MPO) which was a compulsory elective module I ran. Some universities call it strategic management too, so don't get confused.

Furthermore, one of the most primary functions of a well managed SCM is cost optimisation. See the link below for more explanation of optimisation.

http://www.4eto.co.uk/SCM/supply-chain-optimisation-sco-pg1.asp

Please note that in as much as logistics is broad, its still a part of a total supply chain management system. Therefore all the information about SCM above applies to Logistics as well. Besides discourses have been raised in recent times by academics & consultants alike about a supply chain oriented Logistics management, most especially is port management and international logistics in general.

However, if you need more information about the importance of MPO, please let me know. There is just to much to write, so I summarised.

Fescope,

I was looking through the courses you listed earlier and did not see the statistics related courses like you mentioned about QDA. I guess you have studied very good stuff at your Uni. What course did you study at undergrad?
Re: Logistics Or Supply Chain Management by yemmyma: 11:21am On May 31, 2012
!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (25) (Reply)

Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC / What Nigerian Banks Pay Their Workers / Nigerian Police Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.