Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi (4428 Views)

28 States In Nigeria ‘technically Bankrupt’– Gov Ajimobi / How Governors Turn Govt Houses To Sex Havens: Punch / Controversial Flyover Barrier Demolished In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by aloyemeka2: 12:52am On Sep 02, 2011
Flood: Ajimobi gives 7-day demolition notice to landlords of illegal structures
on AUGUST 31, 2011 · in NEWS

By Ola Ajayi
Ibadan – GOVERNOR Abiola Ajimobi has given a seven-day notice to owners of buildings built on waterways in Ibadan metropolis to relocate as demolition of all the illegal structures would start to prevent future re occurrence of the flood disaster that claimed scores of lives in the city last Friday.

He said this while on the spot assessment visit to all the areas affected by the disaster Wednesday.
his stance was supported by the Governor of Ekiti, Dr. Kayode Fayemi who brought some relief materials to cushion the effects of the destructive flood.

Ajimobi, who braved the rain went round all the areas which included Oke Ayo, Odo Ona Elewe, Agbowo, said his government would not tolerate illegality which would endanger lives of other people in the state.

Ajimobi bridge Ibadan  grin grin grin grin grin

The governor stated that the causes of the flood disaster was a man made because many residents in the city built houses on water ways and obstructed the pathway that the river should follow.

He did not mince words as he said his administration would not pay any compensation to those who violated building procedure of leaving at least 500 meters setback from the river.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/08/flood-ajimobi-gives-7-day-demolition-notice-to-landlords-of-illegal-structures/
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by aloyemeka2: 1:17am On Sep 02, 2011

People get liver o. Who climbs this bridge for God's sake?
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by Pukkah: 6:31am On Sep 02, 2011
I support every attempt to sanitize the layout and town planning laws in Ibadan but the 7-day notice is unrealistic.

How many people will become homeless as a result of the demolition? I think the people need a longer notice to relocate.
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by chillbabe(f): 7:10am On Sep 02, 2011
Why would they build. Where they are not suppose to. Putting other people at risk same thing in lagos. When will Nigerians learn
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by Nobody: 7:17am On Sep 02, 2011
Pukkah:

I support every attempt to sanitize the layout and town planning laws in Ibadan but the 7-day notice is unrealistic.

How many people will become homeless as a result of the demolition? I think the people need a longer notice to relocate.

Did these same people you are pitying consider the possible consequence of building on drainage and other illegal land ? Abeg they should be ejected asap !
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by Pukkah: 7:33am On Sep 02, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Did these same people you are pitying consider the possible consequence of building on drainage and other illegal land ? Abeg they should be ejected asap !

I'm not saying they should spare the houses. But you need to consider the backlash of making thousands of people homeless in one fell swoop within a week. It could have unimagined social, economic and psychological consequences for the people and[b] for the government.[/b] Moreso, it is true they flouted building regulations but the government[b]s[/b] of the day also looked on which has made them accessories to the crime. Isn't it?

Ibadan has become too unwieldy and unplanned to be left as it is but we must consider that the people involved are human beings.

Let me wager a bet with you - that demolition will not happen in one week. smiley
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by aloyemeka2: 10:56am On Sep 02, 2011
chillbabe:

Why would they build. Where they are not suppose to. Putting other people at risk same thing in lagos. When will Nigerians learn

Did government tell them originally that it is illegal to build there?. That's why we have city ordinances but for sure Ibadan has not issued any ordinance before concerning illegal structures.
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by moremi2008(m): 3:14pm On Sep 02, 2011
Erecting a goal post after the match is over! Olodo Governor! 500feet from all river beds?!!! Hahaha! Half of Ibadan will be razed. Pure foolishness.
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by Pukkah: 3:16pm On Sep 02, 2011
moremi2008:

Erecting a goal post after the match is over! Olodo Governor! 500feet from all river beds?!!! Hahaha! Half of Ibadan will be razed. Pure foolishness.

What do you suggest that the Governor should do in this case?
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by Kx: 3:18pm On Sep 02, 2011
Yet they have Ministry of Town,Urban and Regional Planning.
where were they when these structures being being built over the years?
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by blank(f): 3:20pm On Sep 02, 2011
Thought it was caused by them opening Eleyele dam?
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by Princek12(m): 3:33pm On Sep 02, 2011
Kx:

Yet they have Ministry of Town,Urban and Regional Planning.
where were they when these structures being being built over the years?

Seriously, they have such a ministry? What do they do?
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by moremi2008(m): 4:02pm On Sep 02, 2011
Pukkah:

What do you suggest that the Governor should do in this case?

Ajimobi appears to be looking for easy scapegoats to deflect the blame from poor governance. A governor with common sense would have first tried to unclog all refuse-filled drains and then investigated who gave instructions to open the Eleyele dam. The illegal structures along the river banks did not appear overnight. They were built over several years and the so-called Ministry of Urban and Regional Planning did absolutely NOTHING to stop it. Besides, I doubt that those structures, most of them probably flimsy, had anything to do with the flooding. The governor is just looking for scapegoats instead of fixing the rotting governmental institutions.
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by Siga: 4:14pm On Sep 02, 2011
moremi2008 , God bless u o jare, thats wat i said in one thread and one bastard talk nonsense, Ibadan never get water for years and the Dam was there hugging up water. Only God knows who gave the go ahead to open up the Dam and at midnight ooo,
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by dotman2(m): 6:14pm On Sep 02, 2011
nobody opened the dam, the dam was overflown.
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by eros(m): 7:08pm On Sep 02, 2011
His Excellency, i hope you do as you have spoken. Ibadan is a mess when it comes to planning houses. Most of the houses in high brow areas like Bodija, Eleyele, Oluyole and the other areas are built on the road.

I doubt the Governor can talk the talk and walk the walk because he would have to demolish half of the houses in Ibadan and trust the Ibadan they will impeach him like a flash of light.
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by shadrach77: 8:28pm On Sep 02, 2011
i saw the so called governor ajimobi on tv wearing a purple shirt and a baseball cap. He did not even tuck his shirt in. He looked like a motor park tout. Somebody needs to educate our leaders on their mode of dressing grin grin grin
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by tjskii(f): 8:57pm On Sep 02, 2011
^^^i totally agree with you,did you see the president's mode of dressing when he went to the UN headquarters after the bombing? Guy i weak, the dude just resemble bricklayer tongue tongue
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by aloyemeka2: 11:17pm On Sep 02, 2011
tjskii:

^^^i totally agree with you,did you see the president's mode of dressing when he went to the UN headquarters after the bombing? Guy i weak, the dude just resemble bricklayer tongue tongue

Is bricklayer not a human being?
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by dipson2009: 12:26am On Sep 03, 2011
asddd
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by member479760: 10:05am On Sep 03, 2011
see bridge for my country! i'm a proud naija man eating amala and gbegiri under the bridge in oluyole ibadan!
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by tjskii(f): 6:52pm On Sep 03, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Is bricklayer not a human being?

but of course a bricklayer is a human being, i do not however expect the president to be dressed as one,especially after such a crisis, i need him to look like he can handle the situation at hand, even if he can't talk the talk, let him look the look tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by aloyemeka2: 10:25pm On Sep 03, 2011
tjskii:

but of course a bricklayer is a human being, i do not however expect the president to be dressed as one,especially after such a crisis, i need him to look like he can handle the situation at hand, even if he can't talk the talk, let him look the look tongue tongue tongue tongue

Should he dress like a soldier in order to convince you that he is capable or incapable of handling the situation?. Dressing has nothing on the ability/capability of any human being.
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by aloyemeka2: 12:59am On Sep 04, 2011
nakedall:

see bridge for my country! i'm a proud naija man eating amala and gbegiri under the bridge in oluyole ibadan!

Lol grin grin grin
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by testade(m): 12:09pm On Sep 04, 2011
Hmm, may Almighty God save us 4rom dis countrys' floord. one of d courses of dis is our roads and bridges, I apeal to Nigeria president and Governors to pls nd find solution to this, thousands of Nigerians are dying every day
Re: Ibadan Flood: Houses To Be Demolished In 7 Days - Gov. Ajimobi by Nobody: 5:27pm On Sep 04, 2011
aloy-emeka:

Lol  grin grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Redeemed Christian Church Of God Will Produce A President -pastor Adeboye / Why is There Not Even a Single Picture From Enugu-fulani Bloodbath? / Nigeria Is 79% Cheaper Than Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.