Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,323 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:49 AM

Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu (4360 Views)

I Can Sacrifice Presidential Ambition For NFF Job –dr Orji Uzor Kalu / Evil Plans Against Dr.orji Kalu Unveiled / Dr.orji Uzor Kalu Condemn's Uniport's 4 Students Massacre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by IGBOSON1: 3:09am On Nov 30, 2013
Few weeks to Yuletide, former Abia State governor, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu is disturbed that respite may yet come as travellers continue to use the lone Niger Bridge in Onitsha.Kalu said: "I am really emotional about this. I feel the pains of millions of Nigerians from the South-East to the North-Central,f rom Ikot Ekpene to Opobo. Going home in December is worse than spending 48 hours in Kirikiri Maximum Prisons."

The former governor, who plied that route in 2012 bewailed the slow take-off facing the second bridge while condemning past administrations for using it as part of the 'dividends' of the Civil War.

"Yes, we are now talking of the Second Bridge 43 years after the war. In the American State of Maryland, there is a city called Sandy Point with the William Lane Jnr. Memorial Bridge. The first one was built in 1952. When congestion set in, a second Bridge came up in 1973. That is government in action.

Work on the Niger Bridge began in 1964 by French contractors Dumez. It took five million pounds to complete it in December 1965. The same year as Bendorf Bridge on the Rhine, Germany and the same month as Oosterscheldebrug that links Flushing to Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

"The Second Bridge will not cost as much as Istanbul's Bosporus, the link between Europe and Asia. It cannot be as long as Europe's longest, the 19,822 feet Oland Island Bridge in Sweden. I just pray this job gets started in 2014 as promised," Kalu stated.

The former governor called on the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) to deploy a deputy corps marshal to the Asaba end of the Bridge beginning from December 10.

"I overheard one family talking of travelling by rail through the North to avoid the bedlam. Another is considering the road route through Okene-Lokoja from Lagos. And these are families who live in Ijesha-tedo. The kids cannot understand why there are three long bridges between Lagos Island and the Mainland while their parents do Christmas arithmetic with the Niger Bridge," Kalu said.

http://nigeriaworld.com/cgi-bin/axs/ax.pl?http://odili.net/news/source/2013/nov/28/513.html
Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by pfijacobs(m): 3:16am On Nov 30, 2013
just in case
Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by oluwashaddow(m): 5:14am On Nov 30, 2013
like he truly feels their pain

3 Likes

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by ifyalways(f): 5:27am On Nov 30, 2013
lol @ imi anu.

Choi. Una no go kill pesin for here. cheesy
Kuku add "ohia" for 100% effect.

Imi anu ohia. cheesy
boyyyy,i fear una.
Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by Nobody: 5:42am On Nov 30, 2013
Eeyah, if and only if Orji Kalu had been governor, he would have done something about it.

2 Likes

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by Nobody: 6:25am On Nov 30, 2013
All of a sudden, OUK has turned to someone who has the interests of Nigerians at heart. U go weep tire.

1 Like

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by bloggernaija: 8:05am On Nov 30, 2013
5 governors
5 states
Cannot even build a damn bridge.
Southeast,
Fu<king hopeless

10 Likes

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by Akshow: 8:05am On Nov 30, 2013
Niger bridge makes him wanna cry? What did he do during his tenure aside building mansions and buying exotic car? The south eastern governors have d easiest ride at governance I swear. I even consider it an insult for him to make such cynical comment. I think the ibos deserve the leaders they get cos instead of charging them to serve the people, they tend to be sentimental and celebrate mediocrity. They prefer to criticize the government of their host states than their own home state.

4 Likes

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by Nobody: 8:19am On Nov 30, 2013
There was a country - - - - Half of a yellow sun. How much does it cost to build a damn bridge.
Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by funnyx(m): 8:31am On Nov 30, 2013
But Jona has been the president for 5 years now and igbos he claimed are the pillars of his government yet he refused to build the bridge undecided if the presidency return to the north after Jona have failed to construct this bridge that means una go wait for another 8 years be that o my people undecided you better hold him now make im fulfil his promise.

1 Like

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by pandriod: 8:42am On Nov 30, 2013
The same barbarian scum that claimed to have developed Lagos is the one crying here. Fashola built a better and more complex one within few months, while the so-called most industrious people on earth are still begging FG for this footpaths bridge. pathetic.

4 Likes

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by FreeGlobe(f): 8:46am On Nov 30, 2013
bloggernaija: 5 governors
5 states
Cannot even build a damn bridge.
Southeast,
Fu<king hopeless
How come all Yoruba states didn't build the mainland bridge, why are they allowing it to rot? what of National theater, national stadium etc. SW governors should team up, move in there and display their magic wand. smh

5 Likes

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by gurnam: 8:49am On Nov 30, 2013
pandriod: The same barbarian scum that claimed to have developed Lagos is the one crying here. Fashola built a better and more complex one within few months, while the so-called most industrious people on earth are still begging FG for this footpaths bridge. pathetic.

The Ikoyi -Lekki link bridge is definitely longer than the Niger bridge with all the approaches.

And these villagers don't ask profound questions while a state can single- handedly financed such marvelous bridge...while a combined 5 states are waiting for the FG for eternity to construct a mere less than 1km bridge.

Sucks to be these villagers...

3 Likes

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by gurnam: 8:51am On Nov 30, 2013
FreeGlobe:
How come all Yoruba states didn't build the mainland bridge, why are they allowing it to rot? what of National theater, national stadium etc. SW governors should team up, move in there and display their magic wand. smh

National theatre? Are you this dumb? Who goes there these days? We wanted to take it over ..the FG refused. There are cinemas scattered all over the state....a brand new one is under construction in Apapa right now ...close to Apapa club...

National stadium....we have a better stadium directly opposite that now.

Mainland bridge? Are you smoking? Which bridge is that?

You had better escape from that village to get enlightened.

5 Likes

Re: Niger Bridge Makes Me Cry -dr. Orji Uzor Kalu by htconeline: 8:59am On Nov 30, 2013
why should FG build bridge for you to came nd over flood Sw.
oUK nah just mouth service.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

US Report On Igbos!!! Not Again / See What This Igbo Facebook User Said; / Chief Igbinedion Host Ex-Ghana President Mahama At His South African Home(Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.