Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,807 members, 7,810,100 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:43 PM

How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? (18646 Views)

Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World / Nigerian Oil Expatriates Highest Paid In The World / Entry Level Package For Banks You Know? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 8:36pm On Sep 02, 2011
House,
What would you say should be the fair value of what graduates should earn in Nigeria?
Entry graduates, I mean fresh bachelor degree or HND graduates in Nigeria. What should they be paid ideally?

I have a little data that might help our evaluations, from four countries that I think I can compare safely with Nigeria. Two leading emerging economies, and two leading developed nations. I got this from a variety of sites, it would be too much posting them on here, but you'll get the general idea.

United States:
Entry Level Income Average = US$49,000 est. Note, this one was a rough estimate, it varies a lot in the USA, depending on location.
GDP per capita = US$47,100
Graduate % of workforce = 30%
Rate of graduate unemployment = 5.1% (2010 est)

United Kingdom:
Entry Level Income Average =GBP29,000 (approx US$47,000)
GDP per capita = US$36,200
Graduate % of workforce = 20%
Rate of graduate unemployment = 20% (2010 est)

China:
Entry Level Income Average = US$4,977.00
GDP per capita = US$4,100
Graduate % of workforce = 10%
Rate of graduate unemployment = 32%% (2009 est), though China's official stats say it is at around 10%.

India:
Entry Level Income Average = US$3,500 (very rough estimates, difficult to find salary estimates for India due to the focus on IT jobs.)
GDP per capita = US$1,200
Graduate % of workforce = 14.5%. No real reliable data could be found here.
Rate of graduate unemployment = 12.5% (?). No reliable data could be found, most sites say it is 2 percent above the official 10.5%.

Note: A study I ran into here says something like 85% of Indian graduates are not employable. Close to home, huh?

And now Nigeria:
Entry Level Income Average = ?
GDP per capita = US$1,400
Graduate percentage of workforce = unknown, I couldn't find any data. Maybe someone can help.
Rate of graduate unemployment = unknown, but 50% of 15-25 year olds in urban areas are unemployed.

So, how much do you think fresh graduates in Nigeria should be paid?
I think maybe between N80,000 and N100,000 should be a minimum starting graduate salary in Nigeria. That's something like US$6,000 a year. But when you look at the data of other countries apart from India, you see the close correlation between GDP per capita and annual graduate pay. So ideally graduates should not be paid more than N20,000 a month?

Your thoughts pls.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by chamber2(m): 9:03pm On Sep 02, 2011
I think when making comparisons as regards entry level pay we should also consider the cost of living among the listed countries. Why a US based graduate earns comparatively higher income, it may interest you to know that, on average, he maybe spending higher than his counterparts in other countries thereby placing the both on almost the same income level at the end of the day. So, purchasing power parity is necessary in this regard.

Reasonably, i would expect that entry level pay in Nigeria should go a bit above 100k per month, taken into consideration the chaotic nature of our environment. Someone once said that every household in Nigeria is a local govt. We provide almost everything for ourselves.So, a higher pay, based on varying economic and social condition is justifiable.

1 Like

Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Plutarch: 9:17pm On Sep 02, 2011
80-100 is okay. Difficult to peg. Many factors will determine that. B4 d issue of 18 000 minimum wage the govt's rate was less than 50k for a grad(level 8:2) with d 18k its now more than 60k;i consider this as d national standard. Economy n standard of living of a place is important hence d unending periodic agitatns by labour in d face of inflatn. For 9ja,80 n above is ok i think
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:39pm On Sep 02, 2011
Plutarch:

80-100 is okay. Difficult to peg. Many factors will determine that. B4 d issue of 18 000 minimum wage the govt's rate was less than 50k for a grad(level 8:2) with d 18k its now more than 60k;i consider this as d national standard. Economy n standard of living of a place is important hence d unending periodic agitatns by labour in d face of inflatn. For 9ja,80 n above is ok i think

When you guys say 'standard of living', how do you mean exactly?
The standard of living in Nigeria is quite low, very low in fact. However, cost of living in the urban areas is high.

The 60k plus is interesting; I agree, that should also be the national standard. If government is paying that amount to fresh grads, private sector should benchmark with that as base pay, and possibly augment with some allowances to ameliorate cost of living. But the reality is, graduates are not really worth that much in Nigeria.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by chamber2(m): 9:47pm On Sep 02, 2011
The 60k plus is interesting; I agree, that should also be the national standard. If government is paying that amount to fresh grads, private sector should benchmark with that as base pay, and possibly augment with some allowances to ameliorate cost of living. But the reality is, graduates are not really worth that much in Nigeria.

Sir, why did you say that
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:52pm On Sep 02, 2011
chamber2:

Sir, why did you that

Can you guys stop it with all this sir stuff angry A few threads ago, someone refers to me as the Great AjanleKoko. Abeg naw. I will comot from this forum oo

Anyway, why I said so is, the economy is quite weak, at GDP of $1,400 per capita. We seem to be very alike with India, also with a very low GDP per capita, and a large base of unemployable graduates. It's not the fault of the graduates themselves, just the harsh reality of living in Nigeria sad
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by chamber2(m): 10:10pm On Sep 02, 2011
Can you guys stop it with all this sir stuff  A few threads ago, someone refers to me as the Great AjanleKoko. Abeg naw. I will comot from this forum oo

Don't feel bad about that, but i think you deserve the honour.

Anyway, why I said so is, the economy is quite weak, at GDP of $1,400 per capita. We seem to be very alike with India, also with a very low GDP per capita, and a large base of unemployable graduates. It's not the fault of the graduates themselves, just the harsh reality of living in Nigeria

Seriously, I am struggling to know how  someone would survive with a salary of less than 100k per month. That probably would be spent on transportation and feeding with nothing left for savings.In Malaysia, which can also be said to be an emerging economy, starting graduate salary is about RM2,500=$800 per month. Despite being of almost the same GDP when compared with Nigeria, income levels seem to be higher. So, i think it's not only a GDP thing, after all, GDP does not capture all the factor income  in a nation.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by violent(m): 10:49pm On Sep 02, 2011
Soaring inflation rates is a death knell for graduate earners in Nigeria, the problem is further compounded by lack of promising liquid investment opportunities with good rates of return.  This situation eventually leaves several earners in a position where their wages is left in banks to earn the meager interest rates and in the end, they only end up making net loses over time.  

So ow much should an entry level graduate demand for?  Well, there's no "appropriate" figure on this, graduates should rather aim for a deal which will see a consistent upward review in base pay with passing time, along with an elaborate training program that will provide you with highly desirable skills and experience.

I know a few banks in Nigeria that will only increase graduates salary by a very small percentage after every four or five years, while their UK counterpart is already earning twice his entry level pay and will most likely have moved from an entry level role to a senior/associate position.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Rastamann: 1:53am On Sep 03, 2011
How much does all those pigs at the national assembly and state assembly earn?
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by ajirebi20: 2:35am On Sep 03, 2011
Nigerian graduates are all substandard. Paying them is like giving money to charity.

No wonder many are un and under employed. SMH
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by otokx(m): 3:31am On Sep 03, 2011
pay and productivity which is related to efficiency should go hand in hand. Nigeria is not US or India or China, entry point for a graduate position seems to be btw 45k - 55k
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by moonraker(m): 3:36am On Sep 03, 2011
ajirebi20:

Nigerian graduates are all substandard. Paying them is like giving money to charity.

No wonder many are un and under employed. SMH

You Maybe correct but You dont think that the employers are greedy too??

Pls cut all the bullshit. Look in developed countries, the standard practice is

that a graduate applies to a company, does the interview, gets into the company

and then the company trains that person using the guidelines of that company.

I have been through that system before so i knw exactly what i am talking abt.

The whole system is messed up. back in the early 90s, beena graduate in nigeria

was a big deal, Now  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by ajirebi20: 3:44am On Sep 03, 2011
^^^

You only train what is trainable. Nigerian grads are untrainable. Sorry to be so blunt. Truth tastes like bitter-leaf
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by samir101ng(m): 4:17am On Sep 03, 2011
ajirebi20:

^^^

You only train what is trainable. Nigerian grads are untrainable. Sorry to be so blunt. Truth tastes like bitter-leaf

not really. i agree that the quality of nigerian graduates has greatly eroded but there are a few universities that churn out good candidates. i think when recruiting, companies should also look at the university that a person comes from. universities like unn, ui, abu, unilag still have some juice left in them. sorry to be bias but any hnd or graduate of a state university will have his qualifications questioned.

back to the topic, my friends earn n3.1m per year as an executive trainee in gt bank. that is a good salary i think. For the public service, n80,000 per month should be the minimum for a graduate.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:57am On Sep 03, 2011
In India you could plan your cost as regards transports,food,security etc using the railway network,you could live as far as Ibadan and get to The city center at lower cost.In Nigeria,transportion cost takes away the a % of the money,The money paid is never enough because of inflation .Its just surviving wage.From the mainland to the island is expensive and unpredictable depending of the situation.fuel scarcity,Touts ,police,etc
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by koolguy88(m): 6:53am On Sep 03, 2011
60k to 90k is ok for an executive trainee (entry level graduate) in this economy
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by ADEBOSUN(m): 7:04am On Sep 03, 2011
@ajirebi, I wonder why this people here r giving u so much respect? U seem to be a very ignorant person and u dont even try to hide it! Nigerian graduates are untrainable? That must be the dumbest thing i'v heard in a very long while. Nobody is untrainable, It a shame that u dont think much of ursef as a nigeria, or a human being being at that. U really sud apologise for making such a stupid statement! I'm vexed!!!!
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by ADEBOSUN(m): 7:13am On Sep 03, 2011
I seriouly apologise for my outburst, I just read some other thread now, and this @ajirebi seems to have a history of being an slowpoke on NL, Na ur way!!!
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by shawonlese: 7:25am On Sep 03, 2011
Salary structure should tailored to the job specification.

Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by chamber2(m): 7:36am On Sep 03, 2011
not really. i agree that the quality of nigerian graduates has greatly eroded but there are a few universities that churn out good candidates. i think when recruiting, companies should also look at the university that a person comes from. universities like unn, ui, abu, unilag still have some juice left in them. sorry to be bias but any hnd or graduate of a state university will have his qualifications questioned.

I don't want to derail this thread. But, seriously, can you stand most HND and State Uni Grads?

Even those criticising Nigerian trained graduates seem to be half baked too. Just a simple question they are all rambling.

The question remains, HOW MUCH SHOULD ENTRY LEVEL GRADUATES BE PAID IN NIGERIA? All these noise about the quality of Nigerian graduate is not necessary. In fact, apart from very few countries, which country can boast of producing highly qualified and employable graduates?

Even the poster stated that 85% of Indian graduates are NOT employable.What do you make of that?

Please concentrate on the topic and stop rattling.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by dharmie(f): 8:26am On Sep 03, 2011
^ my sentiments exactly
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by 234GT(m): 8:28am On Sep 03, 2011
For anyone to say that Nigerian graduates cannot be trained is an insult to the stress and strain they (Nigerian graduates) passed through in the university. What training can be more than the university system.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by ajirebi20: 8:33am On Sep 03, 2011
234GT:

For anyone to say that Nigerian graduates cannot be trained is an insult to the stress and strain they (Nigerian graduates) passed through in the university. What training can be more than the university system.

I was talking about mental training. Most Nigerian graduates are just not there, actually all of them. It is a shame that Nigerian universities are allowed to admit students at all. most are not more than glorified middle-schools in the West. My HS nephew here has more common sense that all the Nigerian graduates I have seen so far. It is really pathetic the state of our education.

I will never hire ANYONE who graduates from a Nigerian school. Niger graduates are far more safer.

Again I am sorry to be so blunt. I am a sucker for truth.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by chamber2(m): 8:36am On Sep 03, 2011
ajirebi20:

I was talking about mental training. Most Nigerian graduates are just not there, actually all of them. It is a shame that Nigerian universities are allowed to admit students at all. most are not more than glorified middle-schools in the West. My HS nephew here has more common sense that all the Nigerian graduates I have seen so far. It is really pathetic the state of our education.

I will never hire ANYONE who graduates from a Nigerian school. Niger graduates are far more safer.

The best thing is to ignore this slowpoke.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by nezpablo: 8:43am On Sep 03, 2011
@Ajirebi20.What insigated a feelings of disgust in me was ur comment,i guess u hav low esteem! No insult is intended.Forgive me,i dnt usually trade sarcasm.Saying graduates are not worthy of such reward 4 service,is at best degrading;at worth,a soft hammer.
The clever(most of d time),is consumed in his/her own craft! Then,ur opinion has put u in a low position where u shld receive a reward dats mt parallel 2 ur worth nd value.You should have substanciate ur posit with a constellation of premises on which ur opinion(s) revolve(s).Not all graduate is bad afterall.Then,if we have 2 follow ur advice-in-opinion,u urself will struggle 2 live d cost of livin in nigeria hn a bit 2 better ur standard of livin.

The fact is that,reward 4 labour is absmally low here.Are those pple at national assembly better dan us here in d rum?

1 Like

Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by nezpablo: 9:07am On Sep 03, 2011
Honestly,am so miffed dat u still think ur thrading will enjoy a satisfactory headshake,no,far be it!

You urself,u are just a glorified butterfly who thinks dat he is a bird.You cant evn compete with most of these graduates if u are to compete with them.

For much i can slightly lean on ur unrooted blabing about d best set of pple here though,a grain of truth is cointained therein,u are just human who is created with loads lot of errors at judging pple,evaluation, nd u talk abt mental bla bla, U are psychologically deficient to have in possession,a shrewd mind reading ability,which is 1 of d mental ingredients. Definitely,u are nt wot u call urself bloke!
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by silvernus0: 9:21am On Sep 03, 2011
ajirebi20:

you are a sure disgrace to say ,you hide at the back of truth is bitter to say rubish,even nigerian gradutes do exceedingly well in
order educational programs abroad they r always amoungst the best amoungs their collegues go to europe nd get statictics b4 spiting shit you dumd full
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Plutarch: 9:29am On Sep 03, 2011
@ajirebi,
i will like u to explain what u mean by "mental training".

As par the quality of Nig. grad,there are very bad ones and there r good ones as well. However,i think this issue of Nig grad is madly -vely exaggerated. Hundreds of thousands of these so-called 'unemployable graduates' are admitted yearly 4 postgrad studies yearly into d so called big varsities yearly with top class results to show at d end. I know like ten of my peeps who finished here n had distinctns at masters level,one @ imperial another in manchester.
Part of d hullabaloo about our grad stems from inferiority complex in see in black pple especially we d Yoruba pple. Education is largely underfunded in Nig but also the noise about our grad is largely exaggerated.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:31am On Sep 03, 2011
Guys,
Let's not derail the thread pls.
Question is not about the quality of Nigerian graduates. We are debating graduate pay in Nigeria, and what a fair value should be. Factors are demand and supply.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by chamber2(m): 9:40am On Sep 03, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Guys,
Let's not derail the thread pls.
Question is not about the quality of Nigerian graduates. We are debating graduate pay in Nigeria, and what a fair value should be. Factors are demand and supply.

Exactly. And yet most claim to be ''well baked'' graduates. Even to identify simple question was a problem.

Even a manual labourer deserves a pay, not to talk of a graduate, whether ''well baked'' or ''half baked.'' At least, every organisation has a standard recruitment process, and any body who secures a job through such process is deemed fit for the job and therefore, deserves to be paid.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by moonraker(m): 9:53am On Sep 03, 2011
chamber2:

Exactly. And yet most claim to be ''well baked'' graduates. Even to identify simple question was a problem.

Even a manual labourer deserves a pay, not to talk of a graduate, whether ''well baked'' or ''half baked.'' At least, every organisation has a standard recruitment process, and any body who  secures a job through such process is deemed fit for the job and therefore, deserves to be paid.

You missed it. In the actual sense, the thread was derailed by one person ajirebi20

The rest were just commenting on what he said which by the way was offensive. If at all, hes the best poo ever since the

existence of slice bread, then i guess thats the reason why nigeria is a failed state. A president claiming to be a PHD holder

is no different from the stack illiterate that ruled our country in the past SMH
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:58am On Sep 03, 2011
ajirebi20:

Phooey!!! That means I have no hope of getting a job with you, sir? cry cry cry embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Moment You Can Relate To In Arms Force Training / COVID-19: Unvaccinated Civil Servants Allowed Into Offices In Abuja (Photos) / Should I Continue With The Job Or Resign With Immediate Effect?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.