Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? (18674 Views)

Oil Expatriates In Nigeria Are The Highest Paid In The World / Nigerian Oil Expatriates Highest Paid In The World / Entry Level Package For Banks You Know? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by testade(m): 12:36pm On Sep 04, 2011
Pls. Who know when 2011/2012 unilorin admission list will be out?
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by violent(m): 2:46pm On Sep 04, 2011
c_osemiha:

Point of note, in the uk and USA, a certain percentage of your income goes on mandatory taxes and this shelves the take home down considerably, for example, a person earning 2000 GBP parts with 40% for taxes remaining 1200, pays minimum of 600 GBP for rent in a one room per month, remaining 600 GBP, then about 250 GBP for other logistic expenses, does he have anything left? The naija guy earns 120k and has roughly 100k left after expenses, provided family doesn't grab his pocket, I must say with the same job specs, a Nigerian employee is better off, the only advantage being that the essential amenities of life are better abroad than in naija, but we will reach uhuru someday, amen,

Na for where you get your figures?

If you re earning 2000, you pay 275 pounds in income tax, and around 160 pounds in NI.

you end up with a net take home of £1565. If you live in London, you can get a very comfortable room for 400 pounds a month including all bills (electricity, water, internet, gas, & council tax). . . .which gives a net of 1165.  If you buy a 120 pounds one month travel ticket between zone one and zone three, your net earnings comes down to 1045 pounds. (and this is after all your expense including medical bills has been sorted out)

In naira terms,and at the rate of 250 naira to a pound, you still have over 260 grand to flex with before your next pay which is only 30 days away.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by AllSeasons(m): 8:11pm On Sep 04, 2011
My humble opinion is that the general minimum wage in Nigeria should be in the region of 100,000 NGN/month. Graduate salaries should therefore average around 350,000 NGN depending on individual skills, and ambition.

I'm sure it is clear to all in this forum that a living wage in naija is one which covers the following:

- Accomodation, feeding and clothing
- Power supply (read; the cost of purchasing and running a generator)
- Water aupply(read; the cost of sinking a borehole and the power required to pump out the water)
- Education, healthcare and transportation.

Every human being is entitled to these basic requirements and the current wage structure (for the majority of the populace) is simply inadequate to satisfy these.

How can this be achieved? I do not have the answer, but I can say that it starts with the people themselves, a peaceful revolution is necessary to change the status quo. It does not look like the current crop of leaders in the country can do anything significant to positively improve this situation, therefore, we the citizens of Naija, need to start taking a more proactive stand for our own future and that of future generations.

Read between the lines and you will find that this is not rocket science, it is rather a question of pulling resources together. Act in whatever capacity you can, or are trained/educated in. Use that education/degree/skill to to your own part. Co-ordinate, integrate, implement.

It will be well. smiley smiley
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Limaoscar: 10:53am On Sep 05, 2011
I seriouly apologise for my outburst, I just read some other thread now, and this @ajirebi seems to have a history of being an slowpoke on NL, Na your way!!!

Good a thing you wisely/quickly realised you where "pouring water on the back of a duckling", the fellow is completely nuts, i mean check all His posts and you'll realise that anybody will be wasting their time trying to engage him Cerebrally.

I have said it before, Seun, please do something about all these People who come here to exercise their Ignorance to the extent of de-railing every thread they fart on.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 2:05pm On Sep 05, 2011
It's interesting to see where people are coming from sha.
Most people wrote about cost of living. I'd disagree there, because the same Nigeria is where a carpenter, vulcanizer, and barber lives, and we don't necessarily think we should pay those guys more for their services.

My own position is, graduates should be paid based on demand for their skills and services, as well as anticipated productivity, and not based on cost of living at all. Cost of living is relative. I'll still stay with between 80k and 100k, inclusive of all benefits.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by mhm(m): 8:06am On Sep 09, 2011
Based on the analysis given with respect to GDP and the state of our country, it would be fair to say Graduates should start earning at about 80k. However, due to the very high levels of corruption, we have people with access to easy cash pushing the price of living through the roof.

Take for example, if we all earned reasonable allowances and graduates start off earning 80K and everyone else earned reasonable staggered salaries, then nobody should be able to afford a plot of land for N50 Million naira. The cost of living would be within range but with the current realities, 80K wont take an emoloyee anywhere really!
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Oluwa77: 3:58pm On Nov 10, 2011
At least entry level in Nigeria should be paid 100,000 thousand naira per month
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by sheyguy: 9:19am On Nov 14, 2011
A grad shld earn what he or she deserves. The thread itself lacks direction, we are talking of a market/economy where companies have a wide range of salary structure, every grad shld earn according to what he or she bring to the table.
Thank you.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:06am On Nov 14, 2011
sheyguy:

A grad shld earn what he or she deserves. The thread itself lacks direction, we are talking of a market/economy where companies have a wide range of salary structure, every grad shld earn according to what he or she bring to the table.
Thank you.

Bros,
We have already narrowed it down. We are talking about fresh graduates with no experience counted.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Knight1(m): 2:59pm On Nov 14, 2011
well, I'm aware that when the agitation for minimum wage began, during the initial negotiation NLC calculated a proper living wage to be around N52,500. per month. Assuming that figure was arrived at after diligently calculating all the relevant indices e.g rent, tp, building of family etc, a person who has gone to school (i mean univ) to acquire special skills should recieve about N100,000 AT LEAST undecided
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Standing5(m): 9:52pm On Nov 14, 2011
[size=14pt]A grad shld earn what he or she deserves. The thread itself lacks direction, we are talking of a market/economy where companies have a wide range of salary structure, every grad shld earn according to what he or she bring to the table.
Thank you.
[/size]
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 5:57am On Nov 16, 2011
Working with a good firm, the salary is usually about 50-70k
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by Knight1(m): 8:29am On Nov 16, 2011
Standing5:

[size=14pt]A grad shld earn what he or she deserves. The thread itself lacks direction, we are talking of a market/economy where companies have a wide range of salary structure, every grad shld earn according to what he or she bring to the table.
Thank you.
[/size]

and how do you decide what a graduate deserves? ehn, his certificate? his IQ? should a person using glasses earn the same with someone with clear vision? should a person with a bad leg earn the same with someone who can move much faster?
I'm sure you have sometime come across the word 'average' or 'expected'. thats what we are dealing with here and to say this thread has no direction is downright impolite, not to add that commenting on the topic is a self indictment.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by dremoney(m): 11:34am On Apr 05, 2012
violent:

Na for where you get your figures?

If you re earning 2000, you pay 275 pounds in income tax, and around 160 pounds in NI.

you end up with a net take home of £1565. If you live in London, you can get a very comfortable room for 400 pounds a month including all bills (electricity, water, internet, gas, & council tax). . . .which gives a net of 1165.  If you buy a 120 pounds one month travel ticket between zone one and zone three, your net earnings comes down to 1045 pounds. (and this is after all your expense including medical bills has been sorted out)

In naira terms,and at the rate of 250 naira to a pound, you still have over 260 grand to flex with before your next pay which is only 30 days away.

What part of london will u get a 400quid room bills inclusive? That must b a pauperized zone. With food and other spendings,i see u saving 500quid minimum.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by dremoney(m): 12:00pm On Apr 05, 2012
Please does anyone have an idea of what FCMB and Fidelity bank pay Executive Trainees(ET) and Assistant Banking Officers(ABO).

Their staffs look well taken care of but nobody seems to av an idea of what they earn..#curious
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by tanimola22: 10:09pm On Apr 05, 2012
dremoney: Please does anyone have an idea of what FCMB and Fidelity bank pay Executive Trainees(ET) and Assistant Banking Officers(ABO).

Their staffs look well taken care of but nobody seems to av an idea of what they earn..#curious

Hi,

Entry level at Fidelity is around 1.2-1.3 milla/annum. I can't really remember, but the person I had a chat with told me the exact amount yesterday.

FCMB used to be very good. I don't know how the bank is now sha.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by dremoney(m): 11:54pm On Apr 05, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi,

Entry level at Fidelity is around 1.2-1.3 milla/annum. I can't really remember, but the person I had a chat with told me the exact amount yesterday.

FCMB used to be very good. I don't know how the bank is now sha.

Lol thats rather smmmaaallll..plus inflation 1.2m is nothing really. Meanwhile did the person say what an ABO gets? FCMB nko?

Thanks tho and i'll be expecting ur feedback.
Re: How Much Should Entry Level Graduates Be Paid In Nigeria? by tanimola22: 7:55am On Apr 06, 2012
dremoney:

Lol thats rather smmmaaallll..plus inflation 1.2m is nothing really. Meanwhile did the person say what an ABO gets? FCMB nko?

Thanks tho and i'll be expecting ur feedback.

Hi,

I don't have information about the rest.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Some Moment You Can Relate To In Arms Force Training / Should I Continue With The Job Or Resign With Immediate Effect? / COVID-19: Unvaccinated Civil Servants Allowed Into Offices In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.