Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,067 members, 7,810,998 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture (22900 Views)

The Account People Make Donations Has Been Hijacked By Jazmine - Mr Ibu's Wife / Osun Election: The Moment Davido Stormed His Hometown Sitting On Top Of A Car / Davido & Chioma Arrive Her Hometown Owerri: 'Club Go Turn Traditional Wedding' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by onthehill: 5:37am On Jan 05, 2023
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has advocated for a culture that celebrates men and women alike, IGBERETV reports.

The celebrated writer who was recently made a Chief in her hometown, Abba, Anambra State, and given the title of "Odeluwa" said this on Instagram while sharing a video from her conferment ceremony.

She wrote:

"I am so grateful to my people of Abba in Anambra State for their warmth and love, for their enthusiastic support. And to Igwe L.N. Ezeh, who has always valued education, for giving me the title of “Odeluwa” — ‘the one who writes for the world.’ (My father received the title of “Odelora” — ‘the one who writes for the community” and the symbolism means very much to me.)

"I am the first woman in my hometown to be made a chief, and it makes me happy to know that more women will follow. Culture does not make people, people make culture. Cultures thrive when they best serve and reflect the people. Ours must become a culture that celebrates achievement, whether it comes from a man or a woman.

"It was a day filled with joyful moments but the highlight for me was the sight of many children on the dusty road, laughing and waving and shouting ‘Odeluwa!’ Amongst them, I hope, were little girls with their hearts full of dreams who feel encouraged to keep trying, to keep going."

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm_88ehossM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by DMerciful(m): 6:22am On Jan 05, 2023
Lovely.
Culture should be progressive, not oppressive!
Her activism regarding African artifacts in Europe helped with the recent return of Benin artifacts by Germany. I watch how she courageously spoke to a gathering of highly placed Germans regarding the stolen artifacts

150 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by NwaNimo1(m): 6:23am On Jan 05, 2023

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by apriko(m): 6:25am On Jan 05, 2023
Congratulations sis....

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Skyfornia(m): 6:35am On Jan 05, 2023
Nice one.. I will believe all these equalities the moment women start going to man's village to seek his hand in marriage with her people and paying groom price.

131 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by SmartPolician: 6:41am On Jan 05, 2023
In truth, this lady is out to prove that what a man can do, a woman can do better. This is really commendable because our women need to be independent to add more value to our society. For instance, if we didn't have someone like Okonjo-Iweala, which Nigérian would have considered winning the bid to lead World Trade Organisation?

However, many ladies mistake neofeminism for feminism. Those neofeminists need to understand that many educated guys - I don't mean the SENSELESS alpha males on Nairaland - want their wives to be financially independent. So, there's no basis for competition and rancour between the two genders.

Congratulations to Amanda!

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Nobody: 6:44am On Jan 05, 2023
That is Igbo for you

The only tribe that gives women power in Africa

57 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by olisaEze(m): 6:44am On Jan 05, 2023
Congrats Chimamanda, it’s a well deserved honor. Still doesn’t mean that women’s opinions will carry weight where men are talking in that village though. It’s a man’s world out here, I didn’t make it like that, we only met it that way! cool

14 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Sammy07: 6:55am On Jan 05, 2023
ezenwajosh:
That is Igbo for you

Lol,
Funmilayo ransom kuti says hi

Iyalode of Ibadan says hi

All the over 5 female kings (that I know myself) in Ondo state only (not to talk of Ekiti and others) says hi

Lemme stop there, I SMH for you

121 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Tinubuadvocate: 6:59am On Jan 05, 2023
Civilization don dey reach that region small small.the king must have learned this from southwest Nigeria

23 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by GoodCane: 7:23am On Jan 05, 2023
The only women I respect and regard in Nigeria include

Ngozi okonjo Iweala, Chimamanda Adechie, late Dr Akunuyili, among few sensible ones, those women are legend

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by siofra(f): 7:24am On Jan 05, 2023
A phenomenal and great woman!

She used to be my role model, but now it's Jezebel and Meghan Markle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by BaddestQueen(f): 7:25am On Jan 05, 2023
Tinubuadvocate:
Civilization don dey reach that region small small.the king must have learned this from southwest Nigeria
Yoruba Muslims are originally from Mali and not real Yorubas.

But due to the accommodating nature of the original Yorubas, they invaded yoruba land and start oppressing real Yorubas religiously and politically.
they always blackmail real Yorubas emotionally and otherwise.
they're gradually spreading and if any real yoruba talk he'll be hushed and be called either bastard or omo ale.
they resoundingly rejected Osibanjo and ridiculed him to the highest but expecting real Yorubas to support their criminal Tinubu.
but thank God real Yorubas are waking up from their slumber and putting these invaders into their rightful place.

God bless real Yorubas
thunder scatter Tinubu
thunder scatter Tinubu urchins
hahahahaha

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by bdon123(m): 7:25am On Jan 05, 2023
Happy for u sweet babe...if i was an igbo guy ...i for chance ur hubby asap.U too gorgeous
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Crafteck1: 7:25am On Jan 05, 2023
onthehill:
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has advocated for a culture that celebrates men and women alike, IGBERETV reports.

The celebrated writer who was recently made a Chief in her hometown, Abba, Anambra State, and given the title of "Odeluwa" said this on Instagram while sharing a video from her conferment ceremony.

She wrote:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cm_88ehossM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

She should know she isnt the average woman. In fact, shes more than the average man, ber intellectual prowess overshadows everyone around her, most men are busy thinking of bow to steal money, women are thinking of how to spend money they stylishly obtained from men, her own achievements speak for themselves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by MiaBeer(m): 7:25am On Jan 05, 2023
shocked

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by tydi(m): 7:25am On Jan 05, 2023
grin

She should had answered odeluAbba not uwa does she know how many more odelu we have in this uwa

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Proudlyngwa(m): 7:26am On Jan 05, 2023
SmartPolician:
In truth, this lady is out to prove that what a man can do, a woman can do better. This is really commendable because our women need to be independent to add more value to our society. For instance, if we didn't have someone like Okonjo-Iweala, which Nigérian would have considered winning the bid to lead World Trade Organisation?

However, many ladies mistake neofeminism for feminism. Those neofeminists need to understand that many educated guys - I don't mean the SENSELESS alpha males on Nairaland - want their wives to be financially independent. So, there's no basis for competition and rancour between the two genders.

Congratulations to Amanda!
What has she really done

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Boland(m): 7:26am On Jan 05, 2023
Congratulations to her.

However, I will start taking feminism serious when women start going to wars and defending their territories like men do.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Odingo1: 7:27am On Jan 05, 2023
Igbos had been making women Chief like Iyom or Odu, she should find out however the coronation is not the same format with male chieftaincy.

5 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by 8stargeneral: 7:27am On Jan 05, 2023
Nice one....well deserved
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by AkpaMgbor(m): 7:27am On Jan 05, 2023
ezenwajosh:
That is Igbo for you

But they say Igbo culture is highly patriarchal. My aunt was also made a high chief back in 2003 in urualla.

4 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by bhella10: 7:28am On Jan 05, 2023
Yeye
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by VawulenceProMax: 7:28am On Jan 05, 2023
Proudlyngwa:

What has she really done
I wonder o. I hate the woman die
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by bigdammyj: 7:29am On Jan 05, 2023
Okay.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by tyinfinity: 7:29am On Jan 05, 2023
This barbaric OSU tribe is gradually civilized due to their mass exodus to Tinubu's Lagos.Thanks to Asiwaju for accommodating them in his domain

7 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Nobody: 7:29am On Jan 05, 2023
Great , build a school or a clinic for your hometown. Do something tangible for your people, even na borehole u build u try. Nigeria celebrities are only known for twitter beef or annoying motivation speech or x-rated activities. While other African celebrities are known for building school, clinics or creating job opportunities for their countrymen

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by Sheistoopretty(f): 7:29am On Jan 05, 2023
Happy for her cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

We Women will rule this world fr cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by babaRUNtinz(m): 7:29am On Jan 05, 2023
Lolzz...
Má dira o
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: I Am First Female Chief In My Hometown, People Make Culture by ecolime(m): 7:30am On Jan 05, 2023
tyinfinity:
This barbaric OSU tribe is gradually civilized due to their mass exodus to Tinubu's Lagos.Thanks to Asiwaju for accommodating them in his domain
God, let me or my loved ones not be dumb like this uncle. This is my prayer this morning, AMEN.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Juliet Ibrahim And Omoni Oboli At AMAA 2016 / Celebrity Tattoo Artist, Bizzyaski Shares Playful Photoshoot From His Studio / Yonda Claims A Song He Wrote Caused The Beef Between Davido And Burna Boy (video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.