Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,940 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack (4961 Views)

Fulani Herdsmen Kill 40 Farmers In Fresh Attack / Boko Haram Launches Fresh Attack On Geidam, Yobe Governor’s Home Town / Boko Haram: Eight Killed At A Bar In Potiskum, Yobe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by gohome: 4:02am On Sep 05, 2011
Eight members of a family were murdered in a midnight attack by unknown persons on Heipang, near Jos, Plateau State, in the early hours of Sunday.

Among the victims of the attack, suspected to be carried out by Fulani herdsmen, were the head of the household, Mr Chollom Gyang; the wife, Hannatu; and six children including a three-year-old baby.

Meanwhile, the Plateau Government has condemned the new wave of killings and tasked the communities to be on the alert so as to defend themselves against aggressors.

The Commissioner for Information, Mr. Abraham Yiljap, told journalists that government was sad that violence had continued in spite of efforts to restore peace.

“Arrangements should be made to protect the people; let people take measures to safeguard lives and property in every community,” he said.

Police Commissioner, Emmanuel Ayeni, could not be reached for comments, while the Command’s spokesman, Apev Jacob, said he could not comment on the development.

The Spokesman of the military Special Task Force maintaining security in Plateau, Capt. Charles Ekeocha, in his reaction to the attacks, said the STF had no business with the area.

He explained that the STF withdrew its men after the communities in the area said they did not want them.

He said, “The security of that area is not the concern of the STF; they have said that we are responsible for the attacks.

“In fact, officials from the army headquarters came and investigated the claims of the communities and we are still awaiting the outcome of their findings.

“They have always accused our men of the attacks, so I do not know who could have attacked them now that our men have been withdrawn.’’

Reminded that the STF was in charge of security in the entire Plateau, Ekeocha agreed, but quickly added that soldiers were not in charge of that specific area since they had been accused of masterminding the attacks over time.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by OAM4J: 6:44am On Sep 05, 2011
@OP

Please always add the source link to your story. Thanks.

Source: http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201109053214582
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by goldng: 8:37am On Sep 05, 2011
This is very pathetic. They should please stop these Killings.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by 76Naira(m): 12:11pm On Sep 05, 2011
Naija na wa!!!
Stone age acts,
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Gigastar(m): 12:15pm On Sep 05, 2011
undecided dey don start again
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Onyocha: 12:26pm On Sep 05, 2011
[size=18pt]Christian Youths In Jos Kill Several Muslims During Eid Prayers[/size]

JOS, Nigeria | Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22pm EDT

(Reuters) - Gangs of armed youths in the volatile Nigerian city of Jos attacked Muslims as they gathered to celebrate the last day of Ramadan on Monday, killing a number of them and burning their cars, witnesses and the military said.

The city, which lies between the country's mostly Muslim north and the predominantly Christian south, has been a flash point for ethnic and sectarian tensions between the two faiths.

If the violence worsens or triggers reprisals, it may prove another major headache for President Goodluck Jonathan, whose security forces are already stretched by daily attacks from an Islamist sect in the northeast, which also claimed Friday's deadly bomb attack on the U.N. offices in Abuja that killed 23.

"The Muslim faithful went for their Eid prayers and on completion of the prayers they were trapped by the youths in that area," Brigadier General Hassan Umaru, commander of the military Special Task Force keeping security in Jos, told Reuters by telephone.

"They burned some cars, quite a number a of cars. The number of people killed, I can't give that yet. We are still checking with local hospital sources," he added. He said there had been several deaths.

Witnesses said Christian youths set up road blocks and attacked Muslims as they gathered in Jos's Gada Biu and Rukuba areas, shooting a number of them dead.

A Reuters witness saw several bodies. At least one was charred after being set alight.

Umaru said the youths had since been "pacified."

Nigeria has a roughly equal Christian-Muslim mix.

More than 200 ethnic groups live side by side in the West African country. Though generally peaceful, Nigeria has seen periodic bouts of religious violence, with Jos in particular showing a tendency to flare up.

At least 80 people were killed in bombings there last December 24 and clashes between Muslim and Christian youths.

(Reporting by Bello Buhari; Writing and additional reporting by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/29/us-nigeria-violence-jos-idUSTRE77S6Q520110829
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Greenslim: 12:52pm On Sep 05, 2011
Killing in revenge of attack will not solve any problem but dialogue. Hope our people can understand this important instrument of conflict resolution.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Kx: 12:54pm On Sep 05, 2011
What exactly are they fighting for in Jos?
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by queensmith: 1:13pm On Sep 05, 2011
'Meanwhile, the Plateau Government has condemned the new wave of killings and tasked the communities to be on the alert so as to defend themselves against aggressors.'

By this statement I assume the Plateu state governement are admitting they cannot look after thier citizens? I suggest they all step down and declare a state of emergency, how on earth are communities meant to protect themselves from midnight killers? dont be ridiculous. Bump up these people's security and do all you can to ensure you catch the perpatrators. The communities can easily invade other villages the same way as a means to 'defending themselves against aggresors' the country is being run by incompetant morons kmt.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by icez: 1:30pm On Sep 05, 2011
[/b]
Onyocha:

[b][size=18pt]Christian Youths In Jos Kill Several Muslims During Eid Prayers[/size]

JOS, Nigeria | Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22pm EDT

(Reuters) - Gangs of armed youths in the volatile Nigerian city of Jos attacked Muslims as they gathered to celebrate the last day of Ramadan on Monday, killing a number of them and burning their cars, witnesses and the military said.

The city, which lies between the country's mostly Muslim north and the predominantly Christian south, has been a flash point for ethnic and sectarian tensions between the two faiths.

If the violence worsens or triggers reprisals, it may prove another major headache for President Goodluck Jonathan, whose security forces are already stretched by daily attacks from an Islamist sect in the northeast, which also claimed Friday's deadly bomb attack on the U.N. offices in Abuja that killed 23.

"The Muslim faithful went for their Eid prayers and on completion of the prayers they were trapped by the youths in that area," [/b]Brigadier General Hassan Umaru,[b] commander of the military Special Task Force keeping security in Jos, told Reuters by telephone.

"They burned some cars, quite a number a of cars. The number of people killed, I can't give that yet. We are still checking with local hospital sources," he added. He said there had been several deaths.

Witnesses said Christian youths set up road blocks and attacked Muslims as they gathered in Jos's Gada Biu and Rukuba areas, shooting a number of them dead.

[/b]A Reuters witness saw several bodies.[b] At least one was charred after being set alight.

Umaru said the youths had since been "pacified."

Nigeria has a roughly equal Christian-Muslim mix.

More than 200 ethnic groups live side by side in the West African country. Though generally peaceful, Nigeria has seen periodic bouts of religious violence, with Jos in particular showing a tendency to flare up.

At least 80 people were killed in bombings there last December 24 and clashes between Muslim and Christian youths.

[/b](Reporting by Bello Buhari;[b] Writing and additional reporting by Tim Cocks; Editing by Andrew Heavens)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/29/us-nigeria-violence-jos-idUSTRE77S6Q520110829

WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO LIE. angry angry
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Ournaija: 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
It will take a long time to finally stop the killing in Jos. The Almajiri guys dont forgive and forget easily. They believe it`s theirs to possess anywhere they step their feet on. I wonder what the killing of a baby will do to them. Evil generation.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by icez: 1:37pm On Sep 05, 2011
That is how they always lie to justify their killings.
why is Brigadier General Hassan Umaru in that position?
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by akinnux(m): 1:46pm On Sep 05, 2011
cry I am sick of this endless and needless killing in Jos and the north generally. Please in the name of God let it stop. Life is sacred and precious, don't waste it. sad

I am advising the government to mount a vigorous 'Life is Sacred' campaign throughout Nigeria because the generality of our people don't value the right of fellow citizens to life. cry
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by queensmith: 1:58pm On Sep 05, 2011
life is sacred? does that even need to be said? the only reason these things are happening is because the governments you have voted in place do not think you are sacred. these are the things were meant to assess before blindly voting morons into power. GEJ or his governemnt didnt have control over the situation before so what on earth will make us assume he will now?

these people doing the killings have absolutely nothing to lose- the problem we have being a result of absolute abandonment of these people. They have no jobs, no prospects no lives and no family. What else can they do but blindly defend thier culture or God or whatever they believe is keeping them alive. Just by educating these people and giving them independance and stability there will be soo many changes,
The government can campain fromn today till 3011 and the this will still be happening. . . . .
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by aurenflani: 2:14pm On Sep 05, 2011
This lie will eventually finish you. So it is a lie when Muslims are killed but true when they kill in retaliation in jos, right? Is this your way of bringing peace to Nigeria? By polarizing the polity with your bias and prejudice. I wish one of your closest relative is a victim - that way you will understand the pains of Nigeria Muslims and Christians that have lost loved one in this madness. Satan!
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by ogasir2011: 2:17pm On Sep 05, 2011
SUN newspaper is very useless, this news happened 4 weeks ago, I just wonder why they publishing it now and make it seem as if it were yesterday.

I wonder wat they r trying to achieve.

The long and short sha- violence is bad.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by mallorca(m): 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2011
may God have mercy on Nigeria
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by aurenflani: 2:21pm On Sep 05, 2011
To ICEZ - the brig gen is in that position b?cos you couldn't get the biafran job done - it was taken away from you hence you have to live to see many umaru's like him and could not do anything about it. slowpoke.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:41pm On Sep 05, 2011
aurenflani:

To ICEZ - the brig gen is in that position b?cos you couldn't get the biafran job done - it was taken away from you hence you have to live to see many umaru's like him and could not do anything about it. slowpoke.

You mind explaining what you mean by the bolded?
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Ucheosefoh(m): 2:50pm On Sep 05, 2011
What is JTF doing to stop dis attacks absolute nothing still we were told that soldiers were sent to Jos for peacekeeping, rubbish
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by maasoap(m): 3:06pm On Sep 05, 2011
What really annoyed me most was the way vanguard online reported last week massacre of muslims while praying. The Christian reporter named Johnson said muslims were brandishing weapons when they were going to their mosque and this act angered Christians in the area, and they dealt with them. He even said some PEOPLE were killed inside the mosque. He successfully portrayed the victims (muslims) as the attackers when in fact, they were the victims. It's revenge time.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by ChiDalu1: 3:11pm On Sep 05, 2011
This is really sad. We really must intensify our prayers for this country
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Relax101(m): 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2011
Huh, This is a retaliation to the Christmas bombing last year. ( If I'm right)
Meanwhile, Christains in jos should expect a return match this Christmas.
Na turn by turn till every body for jos reduce.
Do me I do you.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by nagoma(m): 3:30pm On Sep 05, 2011
--You have said it all------------------------------------------------------------------------------

life is sacred? does that even need to be said? the only reason these things are happening is because the governments you have voted in place do not think you are sacred. these are the things were meant to assess before blindly voting morons into power. GEJ or his governemnt didnt have control over the situation before so what on earth will make us assume he will now?
these people doing the killings have absolutely nothing to lose- the problem we have being a result of absolute abandonment of these people. They have no jobs, no prospects no lives and no family. What else can they do but blindly defend thier culture or God or whatever they believe is keeping them alive. Just by educating these people and giving them independance and stability there will be soo many changes,
The government can campain fromn today till 3011 and the this will still be happening. . . . . 
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Nobody: 3:38pm On Sep 05, 2011
If you're indeed tired, do your part to disintegrate Nigeria. What's so hard about it?
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Chainrule4me: 4:49pm On Sep 05, 2011
B it christian or muslim so far dey are hausa tribe dey are people who are hot temper.but is an act of being bias to reply in such manner dat its revenge time.y is it dat u hate muslims dis much bt assuming it was christian dat were massacre on their festive period u will all shout muslims have started again.lets always respnd to post on neutral basis which i think is best for us and lets stop this secularity and religious of a thing
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Abagworo(m): 5:11pm On Sep 05, 2011
I think the Plateau State Governor should be tried in court for the deaths of thousand of Christians and Muslims.I can remember when he arranged for the killing of Hausas during the Jos North election how some tribalists on Nairaland were praising him for forcefully declaring a loser victorious and massacre of Moslems.I said it that there shall never be peace in Jos again.The only way there will be peace is if the Governor is brought to book.Obasanjo sacked Dariye because of this same mistake and was able to control it for the rest of his tenure.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 05, 2011
Chainrule4me:

B it christian or muslim so far dey are hausa tribe dey are people who are hot temper.but is an act of being bias to reply in such manner dat its revenge time.y is it dat u hate muslims dis much bt assuming it was christian dat were massacre on their festive period u will all shout muslims have started again.lets always respnd to post on neutral basis which i think is best for us and lets stop this secularity and religious of a thing

Who told you the people of Jos or even Plateau State are Hausas? Did you fail your Geography? There are over 40 distinct ethnic groups in Plateau State alone. Yoruba christians can live with Yoruba muslims because they are the same ethnicity. The Hausas are complete alien ethnic group in Plateau State whose precolonial slave raiding were ruthlessly defeated by the natives.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by icez: 6:43pm On Sep 05, 2011
aurenflani:

God punish you and your generations yet unborn. Bloody dog.

Abagworo:

I think the Plateau State Governor should be tried in court for the deaths of thousand of Christians and Muslims.I can remember when he arranged for the killing of Hausas during the Jos North election how some tribalists on Nairaland were praising him for forcefully declaring a loser victorious and massacre of Moslems.I said it that there shall never be peace in Jos again.The only way there will be peace is if the Governor is brought to book.Obasanjo sacked Dariye because of this same mistake and was able to control it for the rest of his tenure.

Please do not speak on what you do not know.
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by WilWily: 7:13pm On Sep 05, 2011
The system in which dirty stinking Hausa/Fulanis kill Middlebelters are very professional and i love that.
Middlebelters are bunch of iiiidiiiiiots, where are their so call Generals.

Well, what is happening in Middlebelt is a Curse, i heard that Igbos Cursed Middlebelt, they will never never ever see peace
Re: Jos: Family Of Eight Killed In Fresh Attack by trenchcoat: 7:22pm On Sep 05, 2011
What type of heartlessness is this? Muslims praying and Christians go to their worship place and kill them, burn their cars and steal their properties. Is this what the Bible teaches or these people real Christians? This Jang of a drunk needs to be jailed. He has gone to India and China for his quarterly rituals. This really calls for state of emergency or the state needs to be split I guess that would solve all these nonsense bunch of vampires.

(1) (2) (Reply)

BREAKING: GEJ Finally Declares Interest In 2015 Election / Five Educationally Most Advanced States In Nigeria. / CHECK HERE: WHAT BUHARI/APC NEEDS TO WIN THIS ELECTION

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.