Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,487 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) (19468 Views)

2023: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meeting With Tinubu (Photos) / 2023: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Oshiomole / Sowore Blasts Kelechi Iheanacho For Visiting Governor Yahaya Bello (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by Raj10(m): 6:38pm On Jan 13, 2023
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by BreconHills(m): 7:15pm On Jan 13, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
Whataboutism at its worst. So because Gowon did it too, that makes it acceptable? undecided

It's not about acceptability but historical precedent. You make it sound like buhari had committed an unpardonable sin when in fact had murtala not decimated the civil service they would still be running everything.
^^^
These excuses are old. They are damn old

Age does not infer incorrectness or invalidity

Each time supporters of this administration refer to the PDP's misrule, they don't know it is major self indictment.

Nigerians are tired of the excuses. They voted the APC in to fix things. Not to give excuses.

The next party will have its own excuse. In fact I predict they will spend the next four years complaining. I however cannot see the APC losing the next election because of the fragmented nature of the opposition

Eight years on, the Buhari administration and the APC have failed, full stop. The administration was inept from the very beginning - a fact demonstrated in Buhari's tardiness in appointing ministers - a tardiness you are justifying by this meaningless comparison with Gowon. After 8 years Buhari still blames the PDP for everything but this is nothing more than a convenient excuse. Buhari accuses previous PDP administrations of criminal activity but he won't prosecute them. Does this make sense?l

He should finish his term and leave.
Failure is in the eye of the beholder. What exactly does failure mean? Let's talk about that with data. I do not agree that the government has failed. I think people are suffering but is it all down to Government? Let's talk it over data - I like numbers.
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by Fujiyama: 8:17pm On Jan 13, 2023
BreconHills:

Failure is in the eye of the beholder. What exactly does failure mean? Let's talk about that with data. I do not agree that the government has failed. I think people are suffering but is it all down to Government? Let's talk it over data - I like numbers.

^^^
undecided

Nigeria has 71 million people living in extreme poverty. (https://africanpoverty.io/map) This number is the largest on the continent.

Nigeria has 20 million out of school children and youths. (https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/551804-breaking-nigeria-now-has-20-million-out-of-school-children-unesco.html). As expected, this is again, the largest number on the continent.

Nigeria could provide safely managed drinking water to only 22% of the population (as at 2020). (https://data.worldbank.org/country/nigeria?view=chart)

You brought in Gowon earlier when trying to rationalize Buhari's failure to promptly form a cabinet. You're now bringing Murtala into the mix. I still can't believe what you're saying. No serious government puts off forming a cabinet for half a year. It doesn't matter whether Murtala, Gowon or Buhari is the HoS. No serious government does this sort of thing!!
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by sleemomymy: 8:32pm On Jan 13, 2023
The president should talk sense into that good for nothing Yeye Bello. If anything should happen to OHINOYI of Ebira land, Yeye will have question to answer. We are watching cool cool cool
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by Ance4Liverpool: 8:33pm On Jan 13, 2023
Blind men meeting
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by Taigaban: 9:01pm On Jan 13, 2023
There is nothing strategic, it's just an ordinary meeting.
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by MoneyMustBMade(m): 9:11pm On Jan 13, 2023
Close door meeting wey no dey ever get good results
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by MasterShifu010(m): 9:45pm On Jan 13, 2023
LordviccoDaGuru:

I pray God should open ur spiritual eyes so that u can see the Good work president Buhari has been doing

Was buhari voted to do spiritual work ?
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by BreconHills(m): 10:17pm On Jan 13, 2023
Fujiyama:

^^^
undecided

Nigeria has 71 million people living in extreme poverty. (https://africanpoverty.io/map) This number is the largest on the continent.

This is a simple case of the exchange rate since the WB has pegged poverty to x dollars per day. But is this dollar calculated poverty real? Does a person in UK earning £1000 get more for his sterling than a person earning NGN1mn? I seriously doubt it. The current calculation of poverty being less than x usd dollars a day is not credible using comparative purchasing power.

Nigeria has 20 million out of school children and youths. (https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/551804-breaking-nigeria-now-has-20-million-out-of-school-children-unesco.html). As expected, this is again, the largest number on the continent.

Nigeria also has the largest population in Africa so instead of giving a headline number like 20m which is 10% of its population, we should be doing common sizing the data by using percentage of population not absolute numbers.

Nigeria could provide safely managed drinking water to only 22% of the population (as at 2020). (https://data.worldbank.org/country/nigeria?view=chart)

See same as above

You brought in Gowon earlier when trying to rationalize Buhari's failure to promptly form a cabinet. You're now bringing Murtala into the mix. I still can't believe what you're saying. No serious government puts off forming a cabinet for half a year. It doesn't matter whether Murtala, Gowon or Buhari is the HoS. No serious government does this sort of thing!!

Now let me cut to the chase.
1. As at 2015 when this government took over only 400k Nigerians had at least $10k or equivalent in their account. This is 0.002%. Yet Nigeria has the largest number of private jet registrations in Africa. So this issue is not just poverty it is the entire structure of an import dependent, rent seeking economy.

2. As at 2022 the NsE stock market return and the Treasury bill rate were operating below headline inflation. Prime properties in ikoyi were returning a yield of 6% which is about -12% while properties in low income areas were returning 18% and one br professional housing was at about 23% p.a. You see why this is going? For the first time in Nigerias history speculative investments stores of illicit money and non productive assets have lost value. At the same time, local venture capital funds have soared by over 100% meaning money is moving away from unproductive storage to financing a start up economy. ( see attached image)

Now where is the pain?

The pain is in the pivot. The ability of Nigerias youth to pivot from dying sectors like banking into technology, healthcare etc is hampered by years of poor standard education and institutional corruption leading to the increase in social vices such as crime, prostitution and Web fraud. These are not caused by this government, they are due to low pivot skills. Observe that Nigerias tech, medical and shortly private school teachers are japa'ing - this is not a bad thing- these are guys with high pivot skills that are following global demand.

It isn't even bad news for Nigeria because Nigeria is skipping the Industrialization - mineral extraction route to become a new India where o erseas remittance ( and shortly to come diaspora investments) have overtaken crude oil receipts as the largest contributor to fx.

Am I saying that the government has executed flawlessly? Absolutely not, they could have done more on the fx management and monetary policy side.

But is Nigeria worse than 2015. Absolutely not! What is happening is the restructuring of the economy. At the same time we are being forced into this painful but necessary pivot, the largest scale infrastructural development project is under way; rail, roads, bridges and power.

If I were in my 20's or 30's I would be quietly confident.

It's a questionof perspective - entitled, lazy rent seekers and contract hunters are getting burned while those who can adjust to new realities are building bright new futures. What we are seeing is the reshaping of the Nigerian economy similar to a Germany or Japan after the war and what's good? The wealthy are paying the bill for the first time ever in the history of this country.

Excuse all typos

Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by Bigheart042(m): 11:19pm On Jan 13, 2023
Two set of nonsense people
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by Fujiyama: 1:00am On Jan 14, 2023
BreconHills:
This is a simple case of the exchange rate since the WB has pegged poverty to x dollars per day. But is this dollar calculated poverty real? Does a person in UK earning £1000 get more for his sterling than a person earning NGN1mn? I seriously doubt it. The current calculation of poverty being less than x usd dollars a day is not credible using comparative purchasing power.

^^^
Fair point.

But not all poverty statistics rely on the exchange rate model you have critiqued. The NBS has a Multidimensional Poverty Index (MPI) which states that over the survey period in 2022, 63% of Nigerians (133 million people) were multidimensionally poor. Not once did I see exchange rates or purchasing power parities mentioned - this is a comprehensive, largely home grown model and it seems free from the shortcomings of dollar denominated poverty measures/indicators.

https://www.nigeriapovertymap.com/

https://nigerianstat.gov.ng/news/78

BreconHills:
Nigeria also has the largest population in Africa so instead of giving a headline number like 20m which is 10% of its population, we should be doing common sizing the data by using percentage of population not absolute numbers.

^^^
UNESCO states that the out-of-school rate is frequently reported in two ways. It can be expressed as:

A percentage of the population in the official age range for a given level of education, or
The total number of children and young people out-of-school.

If UNESCO in its wisdom is fine with both then who am I to argue?

https://education-estimates.org/out-of-school/

https://www.unesco.org/gem-report/en/2022-out-school

BreconHills:
See same as above

^^^
The stat on safely managed drinking water is a percentage of the total population - the interpretation is that only 2 out of 10 Nigerians have safely managed drinking water. Enough said.

BreconHills:
Now let me cut to the chase.
1. As at 2015 when this government took over only 400k Nigerians had at least $10k or equivalent in their account. This is 0.002%. Yet Nigeria has the largest number of private jet registrations in Africa. So this issue is not just poverty it is the entire structure of an import dependent, rent seeking economy.

^^^
True. We are in agreement on this - there are deep rooted structural problems.

BreconHills:
2. As at 2022 the NsE stock market return and the Treasury bill rate were operating below headline inflation. Prime properties in ikoyi were returning a yield of 6% which is about -12% while properties in low income areas were returning 18% and one br professional housing was at about 23% p.a. You see why this is going? For the first time in Nigerias history speculative investments stores of illicit money and non productive assets have lost value. At the same time, local venture capital funds have soared by over 100% meaning money is moving away from unproductive storage to financing a start up economy. ( see attached image)

^^^
I'm not sure I understand you.
Are your numbers the real rates of return on these investments after inflation?
What do you mean when you refer to speculative investments, stores of illicit money and non-productive assets?

BreconHills:
Now where is the pain?

The pain is in the pivot. The ability of Nigerias youth to pivot from dying sectors like banking into technology, healthcare etc is hampered by years of poor standard education and institutional corruption leading to the increase in social vices such as crime, prostitution and Web fraud. These are not caused by this government, they are due to low pivot skills. Observe that Nigerias tech, medical and shortly private school teachers are japa'ing - this is not a bad thing- these are guys with high pivot skills that are following global demand.

^^^
While I agree that the effects of poor education and institutional corruption predate this government - the administration (like those before it) cannot be absolved of an absymally poor response to these challenges. What has this government done for education in the past 8 years? Has this government achieved any success on the key metrics? Your guess is as good as mine. What has this administration done about public sector reform to stem official corruption? The Oronsaye report is still gathering dust as we write. You can be sure the institutional corruption that this administration inherited is only going to get worse.

What is the remedy to the low pivot skills you referenced? It is investment in education. It is investment in re-training away from the 'dying' sectors you mentioned (I disagree with some of your assertions on this but that's an argument for another day) into the new ones. That's all. And this administration hasn't provided the leadership and action required.

BreconHills:
It isn't even bad news for Nigeria because Nigeria is skipping the Industrialization - mineral extraction route to become a new India where o erseas remittance ( and shortly to come diaspora investments) have overtaken crude oil receipts as the largest contributor to fx.

^^^
Fair point. Those remittances are a lifeline.

BreconHills:
But is Nigeria worse than 2015. Absolutely not! What is happening is the restructuring of the economy. At the same time we are being forced into this painful but necessary pivot, the largest scale infrastructural development project is under way; rail, roads, bridges and power.

^^^
I would like to know the basis for your assertion that Nigeria isn't worse off today than it was in 2015. What are the elements of this much vaunted restructuring? undecided How much of the labour force has been absorbed into this brave new economy? Policies must be people-centred or they will fail ultimately.

One more thing: as you said, there are significant pros in Nigerians who possess high pivot skills - and who are responding to global demand for these skills. But there are cons. Some of those who have left this country are never coming back. Brain drain is real. The migration will be a net loss for this country in the end, long after the remittances have dried up - as the ties of the 'japa' crew to their motherland slowly wither away over time.

As for infrastructure development projects...can anyone honestly look at this country's road network and the power sector - and say this administration has done well? undecided

BreconHills:
If I were in my 20's or 30's I would be quietly confident.

^^^
We felt that way during the SAP years and look where it got us. undecided

BreconHills:
It's a questionof perspective - entitled, lazy rent seekers and contract hunters are getting burned while those who can adjust to new realities are building bright new futures. What we are seeing is the reshaping of the Nigerian economy similar to a Germany or Japan after the war and what's good? The wealthy are paying the bill for the first time ever in the history of this country.

^^^

grin

Germany? Japan? Sir, there is no Marshall Plan on the horizon. The rent seekers and emergency contractors have been around for over half a century and they are still here. They are not going away anytime soon. The Buhari administration's patronage of these characters is no different from that of prior administrations. The more things change...the more they remain the same...
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by blueAgent(m): 2:01am On Jan 14, 2023
LordviccoDaGuru:

I pray God should open ur spiritual eyes so that u can see the Good work president Buhari has been doing

Let that same God open your brain to reason that this government has failed.
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by bayelsaowei(m): 10:21am On Jan 14, 2023
Richardonald:
Anybody wey visit baba na strategic meeting..

Soo called Startegic Meeting that has plunge Nigeria into recession.
all useless meetings...the outcomes only bring pains and sufferings to Nigerians..
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by Themandator: 11:28am On Jan 14, 2023
Richardonald:
Anybody wey visit baba na strategic meeting..

Soo called Startegic Meeting that has plunge Nigeria into recession.

The man said he went to thank President for coming to his state to commission projects but inhouse analyst on nairaland says it is strategic meeting like 4 months to the end of his government he is making strategic instead of tactical plans

People throws words around without any idea
Re: President Buhari In Strategic Close Door Meetings With Yahaya Bello (Photos) by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 9:24am On Jan 15, 2023
Themandator:

The man said he went to thank President for coming to his state to commission projects but inhouse analyst on nairaland says it is strategic meeting like 4 months to the end of his government he is making strategic instead of tactical plans

People throws words around without any idea

grin grin grin

Locate the nearest transformer and hug it

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Omokri: Obi Couldn't Reduce Poverty In Anambra Yet Wants To Reduce It Nationally / Close Revenue Accounts With Banks – FG Orders Mdas / Igbo Groups In Oyingbo Market In Mainland Local Government Lagos Joined Apc From

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.