Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,865 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:59 PM

How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage (27091 Views)

Woman To Divorce Husband After 1 Week Of Marriage Over Huge Gbola / The Institution Of Marriage Should Be Abolished. Imagine Getting Married To A Bo / Egyptian Woman Divorces After 2 Weeks Of Marriage, Husband Does All The Chores (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Seun(m): 1:01pm On Jan 21, 2023
Written by Shaka Phillip-Jonson
One of my best friends left the Netherlands, some years ago, and moved back to Nigeria. He now lives in Lagos with his fam. So whenever I visit Lagos, he likes to show me around. And high-end bars and restaurants are often the most popular places he takes me to.
His friends always like to tag along, and I often find that observing and asking them questions is always a good way to learn more about them, and life, in Nigeria. We're all in the same age bracket (late 20s and early 30s) and all of them, except me, are married and have kids.

In all the years I have visited my friend in Lagos, and hung out with him and his friends, one thing I can tell anyone, without any doubt, is that the average Nigerian has absolutely no regard for the institution of marriage, despite being super crazy about marriage and weddings.
While at bars or restaurants, these guys, who have wives and kids at home, are constantly chasing girls and women. And they do it so desperately and openly, that it often leaves you in awe.

One encounter that left me shocked, was when one of the guys kept touching the waitress's waist, and the poor lady kept reminding him that he was married, to which he replied, "And so?" And I was just there thinking, "the utter disregard for this same marriage they often act like it's such an accomplishment, the sexual assault, as well as the disrespect for their partners at home. What a tragedy!"

And it's not just my best friend's friends who shocked me. When you look around these bars and restaurants, they're mostly filled with cheating Nigerian men and women. Most of them, either married, or in relationships. Sitting there, eating and drinking, while their partners are either at home, or also out there somewhere, equally cheating on them.

I think the funniest thing that happened to me, was when my best friend's friends, tried to label me "irresponsible", because I am unmarried.
They said that marriage makes you "grow up". It makes you more "responsible". And that men who aren't married are neither grown nor responsible. I told him that apart from the fact that I am quite anti-marriage, cos of how patriarchal it is, I believe that, in comparison with ...
... all of them, I was the most responsible person sitting on that table. To be in a relationship with someone, means being responsible for their happiness, and one of the ways to ensure that, is to not cheat on them. My word is my bond. I do not cheat on my partners. Never!!

And it's super weird, and frankly, quite irritating, that men who so blatantly cheat on, and disrespects their wives, and the mothers of their kids, would have the nerve, to call me "irresponsible", because I am not married. I never stop thinking about it. The sheer audacity!
PS: I know how the average Nigerian lacks comprehension skills, as I can see from some of the weird replies and quotes, so let me add this:

This thread isn't a particular rebuke of Nigerian men. Whether Nigerian men cheat on their women, I honestly don't give a flying Bleep.
What I'm trying to share is that I don't understand how Nigerians would believe that those who aren't married are "irresponsible", but they who are all married up, have even no atom of respect for the very same institution of marriage they so pretend to "revere".

Nigerian men and women cheat on each other profusely. With the kinda determination that leaves you in shock. You can see it from the way the women commit paternity fraud left and right, and the men are all community dick left and right. Nigerian men and women deserve each other.
And because of all that, I think they have no right to shame people for not wanting to get married, or call anyone "irresponsible" for not being married. Nothing gives them the right or the moral high ground.

Oh, and my best friend knows how I feel about him and his friends. ๐Ÿ™‚
https://twitter.com/beejonson/status/1615880886414614528

134 Likes 27 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by DaddyFreeze2020(m): 1:04pm On Jan 21, 2023
Seun:

Stop tagging a whole State in Nigeria for the misdeeds of 1 or 2 persons.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by BrickDevo: 1:06pm On Jan 21, 2023
Here i couldn't agree less

Looking for a good building design,
check my thread, via the link in my signature, thanks

7 Likes

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by abrahambest(m): 1:06pm On Jan 21, 2023
Well, this is no longer news. And to be honest, a lot of morals are no longer relevant as the dynamics of the world keep changing. In a couple of years, we'll see that marriage may no longer be necessary as people so much desire Freedom. Freedom to be whatever they want to be

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by PlayMaker14: 1:07pm On Jan 21, 2023
Not just Lagosians alone, 64.38% of South West men are notorious cheaters...

My brief stay in Ogun, Ondo, Oyo and Lagos State made me see how those dudes cheat with pride.

And when you try to advise them, they'll rebuke you and tell you to go and get married.

74 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Righteousness2(m): 1:09pm On Jan 21, 2023
Do not follow the Multitude to do evil.

No matter how many people decide to frolick in sexual immorality, stand out from among the crowd.

Be the one to be faithful to God, your husband, your wife and family.
Staying faithful to your wife or husband will save you from many problems, diseases, pains, and regrets.
It will save you from many physical and spiritual nonsense.

Sin and inquity may look sweet and fun but the consequences are always brutal.

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by adeola1097: 1:12pm On Jan 21, 2023
I donโ€™t know about other states but for this Lagos, Gbogbo wa kan dora wa ni (All of us just dey f*vck each other) , both married, unmarried and single.

The high level of infidelity going on in this state is alarming that no one cares again. Most people are just waiting for their turn to put a ring on it and cheat freely.

Even Men that get married these days just do so to escape either being called Irresponsible or they just conform to their parentโ€™s wishes.

And I think thereโ€™s a notion now that women these days prefer married men to single guys so itโ€™s an open field out there.

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Shegzdave: 1:14pm On Jan 21, 2023
Nice Writeup๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by judedwriter(m): 1:17pm On Jan 21, 2023
A guy rent a single room and occasionally brings girls to sleep with.

I thought this guy was single until I saw him with his wife and son!!

Truly, the institution of marriage has been battered beyond measures....

Worst still, the fear of God is becoming extinct.

106 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 21, 2023
Nice write up although the caption is somewhat misleading. Those main characters there may not be Lagosians so to speak

13 Likes

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by CodeTemplar: 1:22pm On Jan 21, 2023
I wish I can summon the whole world to a simple Life examination.
Just simple questions most can relate to will be asked. Questions like:

What is life to you?
What is marriage to you?
Why go to school?
What is love to you?
Define good and bad, and attempt to draw a line between them.
What is money?
Is working hard a good idea for every human including you? If or if not, why?
What makes one a rich person?

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by CodeTemplar: 1:24pm On Jan 21, 2023
judedwriter:
A guy rent a single room and occasionally brings girls to sleep with.

I thought this guy was single until I saw him with his wife and son!!

Truly, the institution of marriage has been battered beyond measures....

Worst still, the fear of God is becoming extinct.
he is saving hotel cost same way people buy food stuffs in bulk to save cost. That's how often he cheats.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Ireportlive: 1:25pm On Jan 21, 2023
cool

Strange world...

Single girls now love married men better

Hotel, guesthouses , lodges make most of their money from short rest and lodging of cheating partners

Igando magistrate court has more divorce case due to cheating than any other cases including fruad and robbery

45 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by wunmi590(m): 1:26pm On Jan 21, 2023

Nicely written @OP,

Honestly, the institution called marriage has be shattered into pieces and can't be put together forever, no amount of redress can bring it bag to life..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by gaby(m): 1:36pm On Jan 21, 2023
Lol

The hypocrisy that we live as a people will make you keep shaking your head in disgust to no end.

Fornicators, liars, cheaters, adulterers/adulteresses, scammers, pedophiles, prostitutes/brostitues. All of the above listed are dignified and qualified as nothing serious for a sin but they'll a request for the head of someone whose own sin is being 'gay', according to them.

The laughable hypocrisy is the reason why I am always speaking up against the evil hate for gays.

I'm not better than them in any way.

We all get our own for body.

Since we can't help it, lets live and let live.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Kajaard: 1:39pm On Jan 21, 2023
Seun:

Seun a better post subject should have been: How the institution of marriage has been desecrated.

This present subject makes it look like it only happens in Lagos which is very false.

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Nazgul: 1:55pm On Jan 21, 2023
abrahambest:
Well, this is no longer news. And to be honest, a lot of morals are no longer relevant as the dynamics of the world keep changing. In a couple of years, we'll see that marriage may no longer be necessary as people so much desire Freedom. Freedom to be whatever they want to be
Very true. With how easy it is to gain access to a woman's body these days. I see marriage becoming irrelevant in the next 20 years.

People would just mate for pleasure and procreation. Love would be a forgotten word and cheating wouldn't be frowned upon any more cos commitment has been abolished, and no one would care what you do with your body.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by jahsharon: 2:11pm On Jan 21, 2023
DaddyFreeze2020:

He has mental problems

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Klass99(f): 2:18pm On Jan 21, 2023
๐Ÿ˜

15 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Nazgul: 2:20pm On Jan 21, 2023
Klass99:
Nazgul, what did you delete?
Delete?

I was booking space.

7 Likes

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Klass99(f): 2:30pm On Jan 21, 2023
๐Ÿ˜

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by abrahambest(m): 2:30pm On Jan 21, 2023
Nazgul:

Very true. With how easy it is to gain access to a woman's body these days. I see marriage becoming irrelevant in the next 20 years.

People would just mate for pleasure and procreation. Love would be a forgotten word and cheating wouldn't be frowned upon any more cos commitment has be abolished, and no one would care what you do with your body.
On point.
Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Nazgul: 2:38pm On Jan 21, 2023
Klass99:

Excuse you!!!

It is easier to gain sexual access to men, than it is with women. Majority of men have no moral compass or qualms with casual sex.

Most married men see single women as their private playground and it is shocking the lengths they are willing to go to, just to get laid.

Sex is the mumu button of most men, add great and explosive sex to it and you can pretty much use their destinies for rituals if you are a diabolical person.
Men don't sleep with themselves...they do it with women.

These Randy men are slaves to sex, while the girls they're after are slaves to money.

The men believe that once you attain certain level of financial stability legally or illegally, you can bed any girl of your choice. The girls believe that once a man attains certain level of financial stability he's man enough to ask them out. The man works hard to make money, the girl works hard to look more beautiful and sexy.

Both parties meet, the girl takes her money while the man gains access to her body...it's just a transaction with both parties benefiting from each other.

If more ladies embrace hard work and good morals, men would learn self control. Cos if there are no cheap ladies to open their legs for a price, Randy men would have no one to offer cash to.

94 Likes 14 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by gaby(m): 2:53pm On Jan 21, 2023
Klass99:
Nazgul, what did you delete?

Thank you very much Gaby, I share the same sentiment. I am always in shock and awe at how fornicators and adulterers like to tear apart gay people, conveniently forgetting all of them join are sexually immoral people and no sin is greater or lesser than the other.

The hypocrisy stinks to the high heavens and I can't deal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by LeopardX: 3:20pm On Jan 21, 2023
Many people just get married in Nigeria today to avoid societal pressures. Shikena ๐Ÿ˜Ž

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by main24(m): 3:23pm On Jan 21, 2023
Thanks for sharing Klass99

1 Like

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Klass99(f): 3:52pm On Jan 21, 2023
๐Ÿ˜

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Red02(m): 3:53pm On Jan 21, 2023
DaddyFreeze2020:

Wat da .........

Do you live in this country ?? undecided

Its common to see married folks cheat

2 Likes

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by xquire(m): 4:01pm On Jan 21, 2023
grin
Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Timoleon(m): 4:02pm On Jan 21, 2023
Bro go marry first letโ€™s see how you handle yours. Single man setting standards for married men, no be ment be that?

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Lagosians Desecrate The Institution Of Marriage by Vopimas89: 4:02pm On Jan 21, 2023
Please Vote for PETER OBI for a better Nigeria

God bless you

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Homosexuality And Its Adverse Effects On The Family / Any Girl That Is Getting Knacks At 15 Is Free To Get Married- Twitter User / I Reject The Idea That The Man Is The Head Of The House - Female Twitter User

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.