Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,860 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:08 PM

Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree (33907 Views)

Delta Mysterious Tree. / Kedu Onye Nwere Ike Ikowa Ebe Ndi Igbo Siri Puta / Discovery Of The Week>The Mysterious Skeleton Lake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by tpiadotcom: 3:55pm On Apr 13, 2015
isn't there a northern custom where they said they write your name and pin it to a tree?

usually done by your enemies.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Nobody: 9:39pm On Apr 13, 2015
tpiadotcom:

unwarranted personal attacks such as yours, are not a sign of sanity. Get help.
if you cant refute a post in a civilized manner, best to keep your mouth shut or better still, refrain from typing and stop making the site look backward.

no wahala. just stick to topic
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Nobody: 9:50pm On Apr 13, 2015
healthFirst:
This tree actually exist. It's called Asorin or Igi nla in Yoruba language. It's bark and root are widely used in the preparation of different charms. How it's gotten is by approaching the tree and from a distance, live cock is thrown at it after some incantation...no being can survive if you approach it ordinarily. I have first hand experience of witnessing my grand dad getting the bark while i watch from a distance. It's leaves never touches the ground..cobwebs are woven around it's top where all dead leaves drop...whatever that's alive that comes in contact with the root dies off...that's why no other plant is seen around it.
In some Yoruba incantations, it's said that.....Igikigi kii dari so Asorin.
Bi Sango ba pa araba, to ba pa Iroko bi ti'gi N'la ko.

Bro, please I may need to contact you in person. I've never seen this tree in real life but I've reviewed extant oral & scientific literature on it.

I'm curious, where is the particular tree you saw? And you're right about the way Yoruba native doctors/herbalists approach the tree to harvest the bark. I would love to see this tree physically.

It's true that the tree kills off most surrounding plants, but that's because it's a root-parasite. It' s the largest parasitic plant known to humankind. Just google the botanical name- okoubaka aubrevillei

I wouldn't know about the spiritual attributes though. Is it true that the leaves never touch the ground? I heard about that too via native lore.
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Nobody: 12:41am On Apr 14, 2015
ziddy:

Bro, please I may need to contact you in person. I've never seen this tree in real life but I've reviewed extant oral & scientific literature on it.

I'm curious, where is the particular tree you saw? And you're right about the way Yoruba native doctors/herbalists approach the tree to harvest the bark. I would love to see this tree physically.

It's true that the tree kills off most surrounding plants, but that's because it's a root-parasite. It' s the largest parasitic plant known to humankind. Just google the botanical name- okoubaka aubrevillei

I wouldn't know about the spiritual attributes though. Is it true that the leaves never touch the ground? I heard about that too via native lore.

Yes, it was in my town back then and that was about 32 yrs ago...one thing tht's certain is that this tree still abound in the south west forest...that's the reason why you can get the back/root from most of these Yoruba herbs sellers popularly called elewe omo...if you are in lagos, go to Agege market...ask for Elewe Omo section. Ask them you want to buy Igi Asorin, some of them has it and they'll tell you where the live tree can be found if you ask them. Not only babalawos use it, people use it everyday.

1 Like

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Olufemiolaolu(m): 12:45pm On Jul 06, 2015
ziddy:
@ Soundmind i've heard about this tree too. It's called Igi-Nla (big tree) in Yoruba land. It definitely exists because i remember back when i was in Ife a lecturer mentioned it briefly in a botany class (an elective, not my core discipline). I did some asking around older folks, turns out they know about it too, but much of what they told me is unsubstantiated hearsay, no firsthand experience. I heard there's one standing somewhere in Ekiti state, whwnever i have the time i intend to go find out.

Also online research led me to articles on a tropical upas tree antiaris toxicaria, look it up. It may not be the particular specie found in Nigeria but this confirms it's possible from a scientific standpoint.

Please Keep me posted if you get anything concrete to go on, cos this phenomenon has kept me fascinated for years
Igi nla is bitter leaf tree igi ewuro
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 14, 2015
Olufemiolaolu:
Igi nla is bitter leaf tree igi ewuro

You're kidding, right? cheesy

Igi-Nla is okoubaka aubrevillei
Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by imeller: 9:21am On May 13, 2016
Thats the Tree called Anunuebe, mysterious of course as is used to prepare all sort of charms.

Re: Nnunu Ebe: The Mysterious Tree by Lopigo: 12:01pm On Feb 20, 2023
Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. tree removal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hausa / Fulani Men (pictures) / Emir Sanusi Spotted At London Polo Club (photo) / Funny But True African Proverbs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.