Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants (12622 Views)

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? / See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by spyder880(m): 12:49pm On Sep 08, 2011
Just passing!
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by norrisman: 12:56pm On Sep 08, 2011
@ Ournaija

Good for you if your parents are charity workers (allowing tenants live rent free) but obviously Mr Ogunade can not afford to do that. You show your ignorance of the law by saying the tenant will live rent free. There is no such thing as rent free. The tenant may chose not to pay his rent but that doesnt mean by some miracle the rent is not due. If you care to know, the tenants have been evicted already and the house is boarded up. The landlord also has the right to seek legal redress to get any rent owed paid up. He may lose his house in the process? LMFAO! Do you think Nigeria is China or what? Like I have said and will continue to say, let any lowlife scumbag posing as a tenant refuse to pay my rent, then the thing wey him eye go see, e go regret say him come Lagos. How many of these scumbags can even afford to seek redress in court.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 08, 2011
Although tenant may be frustrating at times, but notwithstanding everybody knows the situation of things in the country. I rented a house as well, my tenancy expires in December and my landlord has already given me notice to quit on expiration. He claims he wants to use some family members to come and stay with him. So, I need money seriously now to get another apartment.

The problem is that the man (called Mr. Ogunade) shouldn’t have used thugs to eject his tenants; it’s really a bad idea. I hope he gets a good lawyer to get him out because if I have a million in my apartment, I don’t need to inform my landlord on it.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by atasteve: 1:48pm On Sep 08, 2011
Is it true?
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by beethoven: 2:31pm On Sep 08, 2011
Ournaija:

@norrisman
Are you sure you typed the above?
Your Mr. Ogunade goofed (behaved like an area boy animal) and you are here praising him Because someone is owing rent, you now want all the landlords to take the law into their hands. The bad news is that the matter will be taken to court (you know how slow our justice system is) and the tenants will live for FREE as long as the case last. Your Mr. Ogunade will be made to pay for all their claims if found guilty, he might even loose the house in the process. I think you might be a landlord or you parents are. My parents have houses where people live and are paying nothing. They are only interested in the ownership of the place not making it a money making machine. They just want people to occupy the place. Even one of the tenants who packed out is yet to clear his properties. The good thing is that my parents have been able to establish good relationship with them. One of them even gave me a link that earned me big cash.

I hope you would have learnt one or two things from this. Dont take laws into your hands. Go to court if you are aggrieved with anyone.
  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Gbam he don finish
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Ournaija: 3:43pm On Sep 08, 2011
norrisman:

@ Ournaija

Good for you if your parents are charity workers (allowing tenants live rent free) but obviously Mr Ogunade can not afford to do that. You show your ignorance of the law by saying the tenant will live rent free. There is no such thing as rent free. The tenant may chose not to pay his rent but that doesnt mean by some miracle the rent is not due. If you care to know, the tenants have been evicted already and the house is boarded up. The landlord also has the right to seek legal redress to get any rent owed paid up. He may lose his house in the process? LMFAO! Do you think Nigeria is China or what? Like I have said and will continue to say, let any lowlife scumbag posing as a tenant refuse to pay my rent, then the thing wey him eye go see, e go regret say him come Lagos. How many of these scumbags can even afford to seek redress in court.

Try am now, you go know say your matter go pass your Mr.Ogunade own. Not only PM News go carry am, Aljazeerah with CNN go join hand carry am because I personally with Fash go make sure say you rot in jail.  grin grin grin

How I wish you will get updates of how your Mr. Ogunade and his area boys go hear pepper inside jail on top the debts way they hang on him neck. I wonder why people choose to apply crude method to civil issues when the law is there. Not that I support the useless tenants, we must have respect for the rule of law.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by oferefe(f): 4:05pm On Sep 08, 2011
[let us see what fashola will do, this will b a good test for him and if he fails the whole tenancy policy fails too
] funny! let the test begin grin
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by pinkrex(m): 4:49pm On Sep 08, 2011
I wish i was there, I would have made more money to enforce a new business with false claims tongue tongue tongue grin grin grin

Those landlords dont respect anything undecided undecided
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by boyt1: 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2011
oferefe:

[let us see what fashola will do, this will b a good test for him and if he fails the whole tenancy policy fails too
] funny! let the test begin grin

the lagos state gov. will surely use this foollish landlord as a scape goat. he needs to spend some time in jail in other to cool this temper.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by teemon: 4:55pm On Sep 08, 2011
This landlord go suffer well well o! sad
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by maasoap(m): 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2011
I really pity this man. He has made a stupid mistake. The case now is two: he vs tenants on alleged missing money and he vs Lagos State Govt concerning tenancy law. Hope his children are rich and have connection as well. I hope children of landlords and landladies on NL give their parents serious advice.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by norrisman: 6:16pm On Sep 08, 2011
U guys are really cracking me up. I hope this new found belief in the judiciary is real and not just mere wishes based on contempt for Mr Ogunade. See people dey talk say the man will suffer in jail. In the same Lagos that you cant start digging the foundation for a house until you settle omo onile, the same Lagos that you have to settle before your C of O is released, the same Lagos we all know Tinunbu is milking and yet he walks free. I dey laff!. I say again, nothing will happen to the Mr Ogunade. All he has to do is grease a few palms and he will soon be able to rent his house to more deserving tenants who are willing to pay.

Useless tenants have been forcefully evicted before, they are being forcefully evicted as I type and will be forcefully evicted tomorrow and nothing will happen. If you cant pay the rent, dont come to Lagos! I have done it before and will do it again if the situation call for it. I evict you and board up my house, chikena!

I wonder why those wrethced souls in Mr Ogunade's house only claimed they had up to N1.2 million in the house, them for claim say dem wim lottery put N100 million for house.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by saibuhari(m): 9:08pm On Sep 08, 2011
The landlord is going straight to jail and his house would be sold to pay the tenants except he has cash to pay. Nobody tests the might of resolved govt and gets away with it. Surely Lagos govt would want to make a statement with this case.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by emmatok(m): 12:47am On Sep 09, 2011
norrisman:

U guys are really cracking me up. I hope this new found belief in the judiciary is real and not just mere wishes based on contempt for Mr Ogunade. See people dey talk say the man will suffer in jail. In the same Lagos that you cant start digging the foundation for a house until you settle omo onile, the same Lagos that you have to settle before your C of O is released, the same Lagos we all know Tinunbu is milking and yet he walks free. I dey laff!. I say again, nothing will happen to the Mr Ogunade. All he has to do is grease a few palms and he will soon be able to rent his house to more deserving tenants who are willing to pay.

Useless tenants have been forcefully evicted before, they are being forcefully evicted as I type and will be forcefully evicted tomorrow and nothing will happen. If you cant pay the rent, dont come to Lagos! I have done it before and will do it again if the situation call for it. I evict you and board up my house, chikena!

I wonder why those wrethced souls in Mr Ogunade's house only claimed they had up to N1.2 million in the house, them for claim say dem wim lottery put N100 million for house.

Just STFU, abi the landlord na your papa?

From the report,i cannot find where it says the tenants didn't pay their rents.

So tell me how will a landlord forcefully evict his tenant and also plan demolish his house?

You and that man are simply a criminals.

The fact is that most of these landlords did not register their properties for business and they don't pay taxes on the rent they collect.

Yet they are behaving like demigods.

The govt must make it compulsory for landlord to register their properties for business and also pay taxes on those rents.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by princeonx: 1:52am On Sep 09, 2011
I never knew landlords were hated this much in Lagos/Nigeria! all the same am glad and thank God that my family will be moving this month end into one of my flats in Lagos than renting.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by tayoTFC(m): 3:42am On Sep 09, 2011
after reading all una argument, my expirence
mr john that refuse to pay my rent for over 1yr i issue him a quit notice with 6 month free rentmaking 1and half year yet he refuse to go since i dont have money to pay area boy or to go court cos of delay in justice i quickly go to my villlage explain to my old man, after given him tower bread, milk and milo the man just enter house and give me powder to mix with water and wet the compoud after seven day mr john came back with my oustanding rent i collect it after 14 day mr john pack out,
however, till tomorrow i dey see mr john he great me any time we meet and no wahala,, lata his closet friend in my house baba mufu told me that he actually went to micro finance bank to borrow money to py his debt and rent new apartment in ibafo, from iyana oworo to ibafo(ogun state) when actualy he work in vi lagos. this is what mr Ogunade could have done.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by oge4real(f): 8:34am On Sep 09, 2011
This is so funny. What exactly was the main reason for the Landlord's misbehaviour.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by baslone: 12:22pm On Sep 09, 2011
Mr Norrissman! No mind them, I dey your back! Nothing is happening?
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by Ournaija: 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2011
baslone:

Mr Norrissman! No mind them, I dey your back! Nothing is happening?

I hope you go still dey him back when e don happen. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by dagboss(m): 1:10pm On Sep 10, 2011
The Landlord should have handled the matter in a more civilised way. As for the tennants that claimed they had millions under their pillows, that claim is typically Nigerian. Check out these two real life examples: one came to my office while i was in Ibadan that somebody assaulted him and he lost a N120,000 Nokia phone, while the other one, a stupid pastor threw out his poor Igbo tennant's properties after breaking into his room in his (tennant's) absence, I know the tests and questions i threw at the duo that they never mentioned about the said losses till the matters were resolved. When a Nigerian reports that somebody slaps him the next thing he/she will say after is that he had N100,000 on him that time and it has vanished. Nigeria we hail thee
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by gabbytabby: 10:00pm On Nov 26, 2011
There are a lot of tenant sympatisers. Good for them.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by aribisala0(m): 4:12am On Nov 27, 2011
dem arrest landlord but dem no arrest thugs grin grin
who know whether na boko haram dem be

unknown thugs
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by gabbytabby: 6:09pm On Apr 22, 2012
The tenants would have to employ and pay for a lawyer to get their justice oh as the govt no they represent you they just make the law and if Mr ogunade do him job well they are not coming back and the case go dey for court. Tenants pay your rent cos if you no pay your rent it is so easy to get an eviction now and the people they claim are thugs are really bailiffs.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by marvel10: 9:36pm On Apr 22, 2012
Useless Naija tenants. Cos of idiots like these that never pay up, landlords are seeking 2 yearly rent. In other parts of the world, ppl pay monthly rent. It is a disgrace that the government supports bad tenants. It takes sometimes up to 1 year to eject bad tenants. I personally would burn the house down. Nonsense! Does Fashola subsidise the cost of building a private property? Let him provide affordable housing for his peasants and then let us see what he does when they don't pay rent for 6months. I support the landlord.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by lanredo(m): 10:42pm On Apr 22, 2012
Talk as you like, here talking is free not like in mtn,airtel, glo etisalat.....That is why we ponder high on get a plot anywhere and build something on it. To save you from this embarasement.
Re: Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants by amb962(m): 2:06pm On Oct 11, 2014
In as much as the landlord in the story did not follow the due procedure of the law, we have some people as tenants that are just wicked. They will refuse to pay any bill due to them; e.g Nepa bill,Security fee, Cleaning of the environment etc. You find out that they are the most troublesome and their wives/husbands make nuisance of themselves.

I know of some one that bought a house with sitting tenants whose rents are still running. He waited for their rents to expire and gave them another year and half to look for alternative apartment. Funny enough, some of them came to him that they do not have the means to get another apartment and he gave them money to move. When the the expiration time came for them to move, another round of story began again that they don't have money or the are yet to secure an apartment. The landlord started pleading with them to move but it all fell on deaf ears.

The landlord had to resort to Lagos style. he came one morning to the house around 4am in the morning and started removing the roofs, doors and windows from every apartment, he broke the toilet and Suckaway pit, locked the well in the compound, dismantled the gate and cut off electricity from Nepa poll. That same day no single soul remained in that premises.

Its only when you are in the shoes of the landlord that you know what they pass through in the hands of their tenants.

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Designs, See For Yourselves. / Why Are Houses Marked With X Red Colors / Lagos State Seals 10 Buildings For Violation Of Planning Laws

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.