Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! (11212 Views)

Free Driving Lessons For 20 People / Driving Lessons: How Long Does It Take To Learn And Get A Drivers License? / Your First Driving Lessons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 7:06pm On Aug 28, 2007
My dear Nairalanders,

As the subject states I have started driving lessons (auto), I am so excited and scared at the same time. So I need loads of encouragment, as I have started in the past and just stopped it. But now i really do need to drive as the family is increasing and it has become a necessity.

I will be keeping you posted about my progress, and this time, you all shall celebrate with me when I Pass both my theory and practical test by the Grace of God.

Keep the candle burning smiley

Hope I have posted this in the right section, apologies if not!
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by ell77(f): 7:39pm On Aug 28, 2007
lol. I am not sure if this is the right section or general, but I don't think it matters.

Good luck with your lessons, who is teaching you anyway?
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 8:05pm On Aug 28, 2007
Thx ell77, i wasn't sure it was the right section also, well i sppse its one more work for the Moderator  grin

I am training with a local instructor he is good.
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by ell77(f): 9:56pm On Aug 28, 2007
lol. Well I think it is supposed to be easier to leanr to drive an auto than a manual so if its speed of learning you want then I dont think you have anything to worry about. I chose to learn manual to have a choice over any car rather than limit myself, but it is harder and takes longer to learn.
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by sultaan(m): 4:46am On Aug 29, 2007
Hints:

Learn to drive in a small engine 4 banger.
Speed limit is limit for a new driver.
Seasoned pros drove in fast and furious, do not try anything you've seen on TV.
Keep your leg on the brake, only slowly tap on throttle until you become familiar with its response.
You can get your license in 2 weeks, but it will take you 2 years average to know how to drive(believe me on this one)

2 Likes

Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by viperman: 7:42am On Aug 29, 2007
hehehe, amigoz dont worry. It's easy and fun. wink
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 2:34pm On Aug 30, 2007
ell77:

lol. Well I think it is supposed to be easier to leanr to drive an auto than a manual so if its speed of learning you want then I don't think you have anything to worry about. I chose to learn manual to have a choice over any car rather than limit myself, but it is harder and takes longer to learn.

Dats why im takin an auto lesson, cos of the ease of learning, I have done manual in the past so I figured this shuld not be too difficult.  Fingers crossed. 

sultaan:

Hints:

Learn to drive in a small engine 4 banger.
Speed limit is limit for a new driver.
Seasoned pros drove in fast and furious, do not try anything you've seen on TV.
Keep your leg on the brake, only slowly tap on throttle until you become familiar with its response.
You can get your license in 2 weeks, but it will take you 2 years average to know how to drive(believe me on this one)

Sultaan thx so much for the hints, they will certainly come in handy.  I know the experience come with time so I wont beat up myself too much on that.
viperman:

hehehe, amigoz don't worry. It's easy and fun. wink

With that kind of encouragement, I hope to be driving independently b4 d end of the year wink.  Thx Viperman
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by excel12(m): 1:40pm On Sep 01, 2007
I also started driving classes 2 weeks ago with a manual car.I guess its better to learn with a manual
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 1:48pm On Sep 01, 2007
Well done excel12, as you are a guy, I suppose, driving comes naturally to you, so you wont find manual a big deal. Keep it up and lets share experiences as we go along.

Im sure there will be loads wink wink
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Nobody: 6:16pm On Sep 01, 2007
Good luck, Amigoz. Lessons are fun, with the right instructor.

I passed my test in '87, first time.

Manual.
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 8:18pm On Sep 01, 2007
Siena:

Good luck, Amigoz. Lessons are fun, with the right instructor.

I passed my test in '87, first time.

Manual.

Thanks a lot Siena.  I will bear the fun bit in mind when I go 4 my lessons, I Pray I also pass 1st time. 
You must be a Pro now, with 20years experience!
That will be me one day and hopefully I will be sayin the same things to learners then i.e if cars are still been driven on the road and not in the sky  wink
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by sultaan(m): 5:56pm On Sep 02, 2007
Broken any headlight yet?
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Brosgaby: 10:11pm On Sep 02, 2007
oh yes i did broke 1 headlight when i was learning in 1980 and my dad was like "what are u thinking" has he was my instructor then. lipsrsealed
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 5:30pm On Sep 04, 2007
sultaan:

Broken any headlight yet?

grin Nah, havent broken any, I am a careful learner  wink c i nearly wrote driver dere, I sppse I am a driver  smiley

Brosgaby:

oh yes i did broke 1 headlight when i was learning in 1980 and my dad was like "what are u thinking" has he was my instructor then. lipsrsealed

Hmm brosgaby, u still remember the first headlight you broke since 1980, u must be a conscious driver o wink

@topic
I have gone 4 my second lesson 2day, and im already doing manouveres, did a turn in the road. Wasnt too bad, but im still tryin to think about how i get my points where i need to turn and lock the wheel depending on which way im going.  Gosh I have probably confused u all with all that mumbo jambo  grin, but if you understand wot im yappin about feel free to give me any tips or ask me more questions.

Second lesson and Im loving it.
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by yvy1(f): 3:15pm On Sep 19, 2007
Where are you? If you dey naija you for don learn tey tey then all you's be doing will be to pass the text in the UK because by now u s'pose din sabi drive and should be able to struggle with the bullion drivers and bus conductors in Mile 2
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by shocks(m): 8:34pm On Sep 19, 2007
driving is just like learning to walk. it gets easier as the days go by. soon it will become instinctive and you'll wonder why you were scared in the first place. all the best.

2 Likes

Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by naijadiva2(f): 10:30pm On Sep 19, 2007
driving is real easy. i've been driving since i was 16 and enjoy it very much, except for when people start bothering you to take them all over town.
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by BTreasures: 11:29pm On Sep 19, 2007
so good to know. U can truly acheive wateva your heart is set to do. Here's a copy of INSPIRE for FREE it will further give you the BOOSTER u need. SUCCEED!

[img][/img]
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by spoilt(f): 2:22am On Sep 20, 2007
you'll soon be speedracer.
i remember when i first started driving, no one could even talk in my car cos i was trying so hard to concentrate. funny!

3 Likes

Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 2:52am On Sep 20, 2007
yvy1:

Where are you? If you dey naija you for don learn tey tey then all you's be doing will be to pass the text in the UK because by now u s'pose din sabi drive and should be able to struggle with the bullion drivers and bus conductors in Mile 2

I wish I learnt am 4 naija, at least it will be cheaper for me here.

shocks:

driving is just like learning to walk. it gets easier as the days go by. soon it will become instinctive and you'll wonder why you were scared in the first place. all the best.

Thanks bro, u are right i certainly feel like a toddler takin its first step  smiley

naija_diva:

driving is real easy. i've been driving since i was 16 and enjoy it very much, except for when people start bothering you to take them all over town.

Sista u make me laugh  grin and here is me thinkin i cant wait to drive peeps around town  grin im sure i will get tired of it once i become pro.  thx 4 d encouragement

BTreasures:

so good to know. You can truly acheive whatever your heart is set to do. Here's a copy of INSPIRE for FREE it will further give you the BOOSTER u need. SUCCEED!

[img][/img]

I needed those encouraging words, thx Sis.  Can u re attach the copy of Inspire again pls, didnt attach in the first instance.

spoilt:

you'll soon be speedracer.
i remember when i first started driving, no one could even talk in my car because i was trying so hard to concentrate. funny!

u got dat rite !
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by mellow(m): 6:53am On Sep 20, 2007
Learing to drive is easier than learning how to eat okro soup if you

can succeed in keeping your leg fromshaking on the throttle. Just don't

be bothered by the hooting of horns and shouts from other motorists. Just

keep fear and anxiety out of your mind and all will be cool. Best of luck.
[/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by MP007(m): 7:44am On Sep 20, 2007
ANXIETY, thats the one problme new drivers face, U'll learn in the shortest amount of time if u can keep ur level of anxiety under control, drive safely

2 Likes

Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Tmoni(m): 7:47am On Sep 20, 2007
@topic and poster,

this is the inspiration i need, i just got my provisional and would start driving lessons in second week october,
i would surely want to hear bout it all from u

all the best and pray we get the test right first time

cheers
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by kanmosyl(m): 9:51am On Sep 20, 2007
I am currently learning how to drive and i find it a bit scary and at the same time enjoyable. I have my eyes straight ahead (trying not to get distracted). By the way, i drive an automatic (did i hear someone say "then i can't drive at all"?) and it makes me look forward to another day of driving. I mean, no need to change gears and all what nots.
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by freelancer(m): 9:59am On Sep 20, 2007
@Amigoz

Really wish you all the best and you have to make we "nairalanders" proud by taking the test once and passing it wink . I remember when i was trying to teach my big sister how to drive. It was , grin
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by faramola: 10:03am On Sep 20, 2007
first u need to learn with ur brain, n before u know its gonna be a toy, its fun. Dont be scared but try to control ur speed. Take charge and you must believe yourself
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by tboy81(m): 10:54am On Sep 20, 2007
Well, i've even gone to a driving school before too, but i can only drive within my estate for now.

I think those "danfo" drivers are the one's that "scare me" the most, though i know it's just a matter of time i overcome it.

Though with my slow learning curve in driving, i know an automatic will pay me more than manual.

, There's nothing that can't be learnt once one is determined.
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by theffanyi(m): 11:04am On Sep 20, 2007
@ POSTER

LOOK HERE FOR ADVICE.

WHEN EVER U AR ON A BRIDGE, PLEASE REMEMBER TO FLY OVER THE SIDE RAILS.

THEN ULL DISCOVER A NEW LIFE. cool
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by toyin1709: 11:28am On Sep 20, 2007
hi,
pls can anybody recommend a good driving school for MOI!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by calyx: 7:00pm On Sep 20, 2007
Can anyone recommend a good driving school in Lagos?

Their address or numbers wanted,
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 7:59pm On Sep 20, 2007
Let me thank the Moderator for putting my thread on the homepage, most appreciated. cool

@ all that has responded with advices and words of encouragement I thank u so much, it does mean a great deal to me to hear of other ppls experiences and advices.

@ freelancer, I intend to pass both my test nd practical one time, i wld not only make u nairalanders proud but my family as well.

@kanmosyl, i dey feel u my broda, I do same too. Don't mind ppl that say drivin an auto is not driving, wot ever makes you comfortable.

@thefanyi - ur post actually cracked me up grin grin grin - but that is neva goin to happen to me by the Grace of God.

@tboy81 you are so rite, with determination we can succeed with this

@Tmoni all the best in ur first and subsequent lessons, i will surely remember u in prayers

@ toyin and calyx, I wouldnt know which school to recommend cos of ur locations. Hpefully someone in ur location will c ur postings and help.

@ Mellow & MP007 - thx a lot guys ur advices is well noted and will be implemented
Re: Started My Driving Lessons: Need Lots Of Encouragement! by Amigoz(f): 8:11pm On Sep 20, 2007
Update on my last lesson

It started well, did my msm got to a set of traffic lights and was going to turn right. I did take the turning quite ok, but i messed up when I turned into the left lane and decided to change lanes cos I panicked - well my instructor pulled me over and went over that with me, so I know i wont be doing that mistake again.

Started learning 'turn in the road' nd reversing into a bay' also in my last lesson. Quite tricky! I realise I panic when other cars are waiting for me to complete a manoeuvre, I forget which way to turn the wheel which is really embarrassing. I must have tried the manoeuvres 4 to 5 times but I think I am perfecting it as long as there is no other car in the vicinity wink

After every lesson I always breathe a sigh of relief knowing its over, but I do enjoy it though. Everyone has said d more you drive the more confidence gained so I know it can only get betta !

Thanx 4 listening, feel free to advice or comment.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Help Me With Info About Peugeot 406 Prestige / Pros And Cons Of Rx 300 / List Of "One Way" Roads In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.