Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,141 members, 7,814,994 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:09 AM

My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. (38592 Views)

My Girlfriend Wants Us To Wear Same Attire To Her Niece traditional marriage / Outrageous Traditional Marriage List In Akwa Ibom: Man Runs Away / Traditional Marriage Ceremony in U.S.: NEED HELP! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 2:38pm On Feb 02, 2023
Today, a friend of mine invited me to the traditional marriage ceremony of his brother in-law......

After travelling for over 2hours via my keke, so we finally got to our destination.

After exchanging pleasantries, kola nuts and other traditional rites were done,then it was left for the main dowry which was #2000.
It was then the bigger problem came because the groom's family didn't come with cash. They insisted on doing transfer but the bride's family insisted on it, saying it must be paid with cash.

Omoh, the whole thing became funny grin. The bride's elder brother kept insisting on it until a POS attendant was invited into the situation.The dowry's money was later withdrawn and paid in cash.

Now, my question is, is it right to pay Bride price via transfer considering the new currency policy that's affecting everyone at this moment? Or the groom's family could have withdrawn the money and kept it until the D-day while it was crystal clear it could have expired due to the deadline of the naira swap?

Mods abeg make una shift this thread to the permanent site so that make other enlightened nairaladers for torchlight the matter small.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by yomi007k(m): 2:48pm On Feb 02, 2023
grin

It is obvious that the Bride's family have suffered in the bank recently.

They rather have cash than going to queue in the bank of pay 10% on POS charges.

The groom family should have come with their cash. But did the POS give old or new notes?

128 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 2:51pm On Feb 02, 2023
yomi007k:
grin

It is obvious that the Bride's family have suffered in the bank recently.

They rather have cash than going to queue in the bank of pay 10% on POS charges.

. Bro,the matter funny die grin. Imagine the groom's family insisting that they can't transfer the dowry alongside with the extra charges that have skyrocketed of late grin. Saying #2k must be #2k,no extra charges grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by pocohantas(f): 2:55pm On Feb 02, 2023
It is common sense that the bride price is presented physically. I am sure you saw the money change hands, probably from him, to his father, to the eldest man in her family and to her own father. Everyone would see it live and agree it was paid. These are rituals that a transfer doesn’t help.

The father might keep it somewhere safely, because some of them DO NOT spend it. Any day yawa starts, he would bring it out from his old box.

What is N2000 that a serious minded man who knew he would be getting married since 2018 couldn’t get? Among his ENTOURAGE, no single person had N2000? Collectively they also couldn’t raise N2000? What a set…

Was there any elder in their midst? This is why you younglings should go close to your elders/parents. Watch African Magic, you say it is local. Now you are acting like aliens at a trad. There are things you don’t learn from American feem and South Korean soaps.

485 Likes 49 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by yomi007k(m): 2:56pm On Feb 02, 2023
Sonnobax15:
. Bro,the matter funny die grin. Imagine the groom's family insisting that they can't travel the dowry alongside with the extra charges that have skyrocketed of late grin. Saying #2k must be #2k,no extra charges grin

Shebi I dey talk like say I dey there. Na common logic na.

The matter no easy anywhere.

There are some places or services that you still have to pay cash till further notice eg market,transport, etc

If people want to help their old folks now, it is better to give them cash because old people suffer alot these days to get cash from bank. The crowd is unbearable.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by garriAndsugar: 2:58pm On Feb 02, 2023
So even you with your Keke no hold 2k to give am?

96 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 2:59pm On Feb 02, 2023
pocohantas:
It is common sense that the bride price is presented physically. I am sure you saw the money change hands, probably from the eldest man in the family to her own father. These are rituals that a transfer doesn’t help.

The father would keep it somewhere safely. Some of them DO NOT spend it. Any day yawa starts, he would bring it out from his old box.

What is N2000 that a serious minded man who knew he would be getting married since 2018 couldn’t get? Among his ENTOURAGE, no single person had N2000? What a set…
. Exactly what I said big sis....I told them they should have withdrawn the money before now........ Our problem as a people most times is the last-minute syndrome........And that's too bad.... Tradition is tradition and must be respected, ALWAYS.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 3:01pm On Feb 02, 2023
garriAndsugar:
So even you with your Keke no hold 2k to give am?
. grin. Dude,I just came back from the bank to remit my normal *BALANCING*. So I no get shishi with me cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 3:01pm On Feb 02, 2023
yomi007k:

Shebi I dey talk like say I dey there. Na common logic na.

The matter no easy anywhere.

There are some places or services that you still have to pay cash till further notice eg market,transport, etc

If people want to help their old folks now, it is better to give them cash because old people suffer alot these days to get cash from bank. The crowd is unbearable.
. No be lie....

Problem dey oh.....
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by garriAndsugar: 3:03pm On Feb 02, 2023
Sonnobax15:
. grin. Dude,I just came back from the back to remit my normal *BALANCING*. So I no get shishi with me cheesy
Imagine say you no use transfer do your balancing but you dey expect ordinary 2k bp to be transfer grin

6 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 3:04pm On Feb 02, 2023
garriAndsugar:

Imagine say you no use transfer do your balancing but you dey expect ordinary 2k bp to be transfer grin
. I swear grin grin. Funny times indeed grin.

1 Like

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Jennyclay(f): 3:04pm On Feb 02, 2023
Broke men should please stay away from relationship/marriage.

He can't even produce common 2k cash, Edakun, how will he take good care of his bride if he can't cough out 2k cash? undecided

His mate are holding 200k cash to their traditional marriage just incase of emergency. But your friend can hold common 2k. Nawa oo!!

Even the OP is a Keke man! Shior!

May God Help all struggling men o!

43 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 3:07pm On Feb 02, 2023
Jennyclay:
Broke men should please stay away from relationship/marriage.

He can't even produce common 2k cash, Edakun how will he take good care of his bride if he can't cough out 2k cash undecided
. Carry your bad belle comot here before I go line you for front of my keke jam you pass undecided.

Abi those millionaires wey dey look for ATM and pos dey waka to find where dem go see money,dem still dey broke abi? undecided

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Jennyclay(f): 3:10pm On Feb 02, 2023
Sonnobax15:
. Carry your bad belle comot here before I go line you for front of my keke jam you pass undecided.

Abi those millionaires wey dey look for ATM and pos dey waka to find where dem go see money,dem still dey broke abi? undecided
I've heard you oga Keke man!

Shame!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 3:11pm On Feb 02, 2023
Jennyclay:
I have heard you oga Keke man!

Shame!!
. K

2 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by yomi007k(m): 3:16pm On Feb 02, 2023
Jennyclay:

Shame!!

What's the shame in being a keke man?

What job do you do?

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 3:18pm On Feb 02, 2023
yomi007k:

What job do you do?
. Bro leave that banny alone grin. On a norm, I wish her well in all her endeavors..

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by yomi007k(m): 3:20pm On Feb 02, 2023
Sonnobax15:
. Bro leave that banny alone grin. On a norm, I wish her well in all her endeavors..

If e sure for am make she answer the question.

Person wey no get work dey insult who dey work.

Na only for Nigeria we dey see this kind nonsense.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Zonefree(m): 3:21pm On Feb 02, 2023
Jennyclay:

Shame!!
A broke and miserable Nigerian girl trying to broke shame a hustling guy.

Shameless liability!

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by DaddyRochie1642: 3:22pm On Feb 02, 2023
See how someone up there with the "F" moniker already looking down at the Op because he made mention that he went to the traditional marriage with his Keke.

Do you know what it means for a man to swallow his pride and ego to say that he went to a traditional marriage with his Keke or do you know what it means for a man to say that he's involved in Keke hustlings, it takes alot for a man to say it. You no go understand.

See the way she's looking down on him already with disgust and funnily enough na her type this yahoo boys dey like use to renew their cashflow grin grin

Op may God continue to guide and protect and provide for you and your precious Keke.

I wish thee well.

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Jennyclay(f): 3:25pm On Feb 02, 2023
yomi007k:

What job do you do?
I don't see anything wrong with you being a Keke man or okada man, that's your own cup of agbo. Personally I can't be with a Keke man. God forbid!

But for the fact that non of the groom's family & friends can't produce ordinary 2k instantly speaks volume that brokeness is smelling all over the marriage!

God Abeg o! undecided

11 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by yomi007k(m): 3:27pm On Feb 02, 2023
Jennyclay:
I don't see anything wrong with you being a Keke man or okada man, that's your own cup of agbo. Personally I can't be with a Keke man. God forbid!

But for the fact that non of the groom's family & friends can't produce 2k instantly speaks volume that brokeness is smelling all over the marriage!

What job do you do?

You have not answered that one.

17 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Jennyclay(f): 3:28pm On Feb 02, 2023
yomi007k:

What job do you do?

You have not answered that one.
That's non of your business!

5 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by yomi007k(m): 3:30pm On Feb 02, 2023
Jennyclay:
That's non of your business!

grin

Jobless thing. You aint got a job.

If you have ever worked then you will respect anyone who has a legitimate job in this economy.

Be gone.

50 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Tokskob2008: 3:33pm On Feb 02, 2023
Why una go wan pay bride price with transfer naa

Besides it's just 2k and not 200k so I wonder why you guys didn't bring it along.

15 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 3:43pm On Feb 02, 2023
Tokskob2008:
Why una go wan pay bride price with transfer naa

Besides it's just 2k and not 200k so I wonder why you guys didn't bring it along.
. The whole matter tire Everybody.. grin
Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Malory: 3:56pm On Feb 02, 2023
The groom might be a stingy man from the way I see it.

7 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Mindlog: 4:06pm On Feb 02, 2023
The physical cash has its significance.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by ahnie: 4:31pm On Feb 02, 2023
Bride price don cost reach like this...during mine it was shinkini money cheesy cheesy e con be like say my parents dey dash me out cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

Sonnobax dey learn I,small time e go reach your turn o

The physical cash has its significance

7 Likes

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by pocohantas(f): 4:43pm On Feb 02, 2023
ahnie:
Bride price don cost reach like this...during mine it was shinkini money cheesy cheesy e con be like say my parents dey dash me out cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

I was surprised at the N2000 and I seriously doubt it. Bride price itself has always been CHEAP. It is meant to be symbolical. Where I come from, it is N15, even until tomorrow. 3 mint N5 notes. What is heavy is the marriage list. Never the bride price. So, except your people don’t have a marriage list, na still the same thing.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by Sonnobax15(m): 4:45pm On Feb 02, 2023
ahnie:

. Na for our OZoro this one take happen like this cheesy. No worry cha sis cheesy. I dey learn wotowotoly cha via say I don already hear say my banny people dey bill fire like imo state people grin. But for now,make I balance my keke finish first grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience At A Traditional Marriage Ceremony Today. by ahnie: 4:46pm On Feb 02, 2023
pocohantas:

I was surprised at the N2000 and I seriously doubt it. Bride price itself has always been CHEAP. It is meant to be symbolical. Where I come from, it is N15, even until tomorrow. 3 mint N5 notes. What is heavy is the marriage list. Never the bride price. So, except your people don’t have a marriage list, na still the same thing.
The bride price shock me..
Mine was way lesser,than the less years ago cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy my in-laws still uses it to taunt me.
My village elders no try atall cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
E nor reach 300 cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Dem still give den change join sef cheesy

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Discovered Their Son Attends Cheap School & Wife Pockets Rest Of The Tuition / Should I Help Her Or Chase Her Out Of My House? / "Why I Married My Sister" - 25-Year-Old Anambra Teacher

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.