Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,946 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

The Technology Of Block Making - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Technology Of Block Making (61330 Views)

Price Of Block In My Side / Construction Process Of Block Of Flat Of Two Story Building @ Alaba Intnl / How Many Units Of Block Will Be Needed To Build A Standard 3 Bedroom Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 3:43pm On Sep 11, 2011
^^^ you have a very good knowledge of block making bros,
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by ogogo24(m): 3:50pm On Sep 11, 2011
spyder880:

^^^ you have a very good knowledge of block making bros,

Thanks my oga. What we know, we learnt from u. As long as u keep teaching us, we'll keep learning.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Fhemmmy: 3:42am On Sep 12, 2011
Still Learning and loving it . . .
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by YoungBrain: 12:06pm On Sep 12, 2011
Dear Sir Spyder

Please kindly redo this topic with more details like mixing ratios, number of blocks per bag(9" ,6" hollows and 5",6" solids)
pictures of best quality of sand to use.

You might be suprised to know how many students are eagerly waiting for this lecture

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 1:55pm On Sep 12, 2011
@ youngbrain, I will get to that, let's take it bit by bit. I will soon post pictures of a block making machine.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by atasteve: 2:19pm On Sep 12, 2011
Thanks for breaking down into small bits the different components of a building.

Lord Spyder880, I thank thee.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 5:50pm On Sep 12, 2011
block making machine

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 5:52pm On Sep 12, 2011
more

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 13, 2011
^^^^
keep up the good work sir
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by za85: 7:45am On Sep 16, 2011
ogogo24:

My guess, the white ones are made from pretty white sharp sand and the brown blocks from brown sharp sand. Correct?
ogogo24:

I doubt if that will work the magic. Another thing that might affect the color of the finished product will be d water used in molding. Using muddy water could affect the color too, I suppose.

Thats what i would have guessed also smiley but never really thought about it before in that way, always thought that; it cause ''maybe'' the blocks were not dry cheesy JJC like me. grin
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 4:31pm On Oct 04, 2011
For those of us that will decide to buy your blocks from the block industry, please note these points.

1. Buy from a stock produced a long time before you come for it, the longer the better.

2. Don't allow the owner of the block industry to talk you into waiting while he makes you a batch of blocks which you will come to collect in a few days/week time. He will surely reduce the cement ratio if you have paid. That one is sold so he can afford to produce below standard.

3. Buy from a block seller nearer to your site as this reduces some cost, but on one condition, if they have same quality as the one in other places.

4. Use your thumb and index finger to grab at the edges of the block samples, if its easier to breaks of and turn to sand, it is of low quality. And if its strong and will not break up easily, it is strong and will not break quickly on site.

5. Allow the block makers to water the block for some days before you carry from there, blocks that are not very dry are more brittle and will cost you more money in the end.

6. Watch the sand, if they are using sand from a flowing river to make their bloks, it will be more expensive than blocks made using roadside sand. The more expensive the sand, the more the blocks will be cost. Don't let them sell you blocks with lower cost sand at the price of higher cost sand.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 5:28am On Jan 02, 2012
Thanks for explaining more on the block. Will the blocks still be strong after getting 43/44 from a bag? Anyway, I'll deal with that towards the end of the month and when I talk with the guys that will mould the blocks.
Per the picture above, I have witnessed that at a friends house which is why all mine are external except the electric cables.

Lets continue here Prince onx.

Remember you asked about the 6'' type of blocks (hollow). 43-44 will be strong, the block industries gets much more from a bag, like 52-53 blocks and it is still strong. They use superior techniques like good watering during and after the production and some use machines to have a good mix. All these cannot be obtainable at your site if you call the block molders to do the blocks for you. In fact, the fewer blocks a block maker makes for you, the easier for him to finish and go.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by AreaFada2: 7:22am On Jan 02, 2012
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Favourme2: 3:48pm On Jan 08, 2012
Hi spyder880,
As you suggested, I am here.

I have read thru and understand your stated fact that weight of building is usually on the concrete pillars (like what I intend to do for a one storey building) but not on the block. From this, I think it will be ok for me to use 6 inches block. But I don't know if hollow will be suitable. Please, what is your professional advice?

On block making, it seems you suggested its better to buy from machine block makers(which I prefer personally). But do machine block makes make solid blocks?

And here is my worst fear: I believe that most block makers in Nigeria will definitely make more blocks per bag of cement in order to make more profit. How do I make sure I buy quality blocks. Or do you suggest I employ moulders at site?

Sorry for the many questions but will appreciate it if you can anwser all of them. asmiley
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Fhemmmy: 3:25am On Jan 09, 2012
Thanks for the gift of wisdom
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 4:57am On Jan 09, 2012
Favour_me:

Hi spyder880,
As you suggested, I am here.

I have read thru and understand your stated fact that weight of building is usually on the concrete pillars (like what I intend to do for a one storey building) but not on the block. From this, I think it will be ok for me to use 6 inches block. But I don't know if hollow will be suitable. Please, what is your professional advice?

On block making, it seems you suggested its better to buy from machine block makers(which I prefer personally). But do machine block makes make solid blocks?

And here is my worst fear: I believe that most block makers in Nigeria will definitely make more blocks per bag of cement in order to make more profit. How do I make sure I buy quality blocks. Or do you suggest I employ moulders at site?

Sorry for the many questions but will appreciate it if you can anwser all of them. asmiley

It just occurred to me that most duplexes will be built with an average of 5000 blocks, with the foregoing in mind and with a price differential of N20, we are only talking about a savings of N100k for the choice between using 9'' or 6'' hollow.

I also have it at the back of my mind that you cannot save as much as same N100K if you want to make your own blocks owing to the stress of monitoring the whole process and following up on the moulders.

If the above figure is significant, especially when you weigh it against the other negatives of making your own blocks, then go ahead and call in block makers to your site, at least the money saved could be used somewhere else in the building.

2 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Goodn9ja: 5:44am On Jan 09, 2012
Hello everyone, is there a reason that we only use blocks to build in Nigeria and not wood like they used in the u.s.

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 6:30am On Jan 09, 2012
^^^ Do you think its cheaper to build with wood, can you help us look into the cost implications of using wood?
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Favourme2: 11:04pm On Jan 09, 2012
spyder880:

It just occurred to me that most duplexes will be built with an average of 5000 blocks, with the foregoing in mind and with a price differential of N20, we are only talking about a savings of N100k for the choice between using 9'' or 6'' hollow.

I also have it at the back of my mind that you cannot save as much as same N100K if you want to make your own blocks owing to the stress of monitoring the whole process and following up on the moulders.

If the above figure is significant, especially when you weigh it against the other negatives of making your own blocks, then go ahead and call in block makers to your site, at least the money saved could be used somewhere else in the building.

Thanks spyder880. I have decided to buy block. Please, will 6" block (possibly solid) be ok?
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by X2X(m): 5:53pm On Jan 11, 2012
Spyder880,

I am wondering about the relationship between block type and house/room temperature.

I think air in the "hollow" of hollow blocks would reduce the effective conductivity of the walls. I believe this may have two consequences:

[list]
[li]During the day when the sun is hot outdoors, less heat is transmitted through the hollow block walls into the building, hence the hollow block house will be relatively cooler compared to the solid block house.[/li]

[li] During the night, when it is cool outdoors, the hollow block house will retain more heat within the rooms due to the poorer conductivity of the walls such that the hollow block house will be relatively warmer at night  compared to the solid block house.[/li]

[/list]

Moreover, solid blocks will have more mass, and therefore greater heat storage capacity. This will most likely result in relatively higher room temperatures during the day.

In your experience, do you think the block type actually has any impact on the temperature of the building (rooms, etc)?

Also, given that, as you have said, the beams/columns are what actually bear the weight of the building, I wonder why 5" blocks for ground floor and 4" for first floor is practically not used (instead you typically see 9" ground and 6" first floor)??

Kip on rockin!

2 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 10:53pm On Jan 11, 2012
X-2-X:

Spyder880,

I am wondering about the relationship between block type and house/room temperature.

I think air in the "hollow" of hollow blocks would reduce the effective conductivity of the walls. I believe this may have two consequences:

[list]
[li]During the day when the sun is hot outdoors, less heat is transmitted through the hollow block walls into the building, hence the hollow block house will be relatively cooler compared to the solid block house.[/li]

[li] During the night, when it is cool outdoors, the hollow block house will retain more heat within the rooms due to the poorer conductivity of the walls such that the hollow block house will be relatively warmer at night  compared to the solid block house.[/li]

[/list]

Moreover, solid blocks will have more mass, and therefore greater heat storage capacity. This will most likely result in relatively higher room temperatures during the day.

In your experience, do you think the block type actually has any impact on the temperature of the building (rooms, etc)?

Also, given that, as you have said, the beams/columns are what actually bear the weight of the building, I wonder why 5" blocks for ground floor and 4" for first floor is practically not used (instead you typically see 9" ground and 6" first floor)??

Kip on rockin!

Thank you my man, firstly, your user name sounds familiar, maybe from my former base on SMN?

May I also point out that your inputs about room temperatures within the hollow type of blocks and the solid blocks is an ongoing debate that has not been put to any clinical trial like an experiment with a room thermometer or any other device, maybe some of has to conduct this test to set that argument to rest once and for all. I have lived in houses with both hollow and solid blocks and cannot tell the difference in temperature.

In my present abode, which I am sure was built with hollow blocks, I cannot see any heating of the rooms at night, my rooms are always too cold at night to the extent that I always use blanket for most of the year. I live upstairs though.

On your second point about why 5'' and 4'' blocks are not frequently used, I think it has something to do with the pillar size, diameter. The bigger the width of the blocks you use, the thicker your column, beam sizes as the columns take same size with the blocks it supports. People always feel safer using bigger columns, especially upstairs buildings.

I know more experts will throw more light on this.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by sixtus4: 11:04pm On Jan 11, 2012
I have being following your lecture on NL,concerning block issue,you didn't state the advantage of hollow block over solid block.Am also in the same profesion is just for your fans to be educated on that.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by sixtus4: 11:08pm On Jan 11, 2012
please,how do you source for properties for sale as an agent?
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 12:05am On Jan 12, 2012
sixtus4:

I have being following your lecture on NL,concerning block issue,you didn't state the advantage of hollow block over solid block.Am also in the same profesion is just for your fans to be educated on that.

There are a number of advantages of the hollow over the solid blocks,
1. the hollow blocks yield more blocks than the solid blocks, with a bag of cement,
2. thus making it cheaper to buy than the solid blocks
3. the hollow blocks are lighter in weight, thereby making it the choice block for areas where much weight will be a disadvantage.

2 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 12:10am On Jan 12, 2012
sixtus4:

please,how do you source for properties for sale as an agent?

Networking
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by 2dmax(m): 1:27pm On Jan 12, 2012
reporting late o! we were occupying 9ja, teacher/oga syder no vex o.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Fhemmmy: 3:08pm On Jan 12, 2012
2dmax:

reporting late o! we were occupying 9ja, teacher/oga syder no vex o.

Lol . . . Nigeria will be better
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by X2X(m): 10:01pm On Jan 14, 2012
spyder880:

. . . your user name sounds familiar, maybe from my former base on SMN?
Indeed. I use the same username on SMN.

spyder880:

On your second point about why 5'' and 4'' blocks are not frequently used, I think it has something to do with the pillar size, diameter. The bigger the width of the blocks you use, the thicker your column, beam sizes as the columns take same size with the blocks it supports. People always feel safer using bigger columns, especially upstairs buildings.

Makes sense. Thanks.

From what you've said so far, it would seem hollow blocks are the way to go.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by omanzo02: 2:16pm On Feb 12, 2012
@spyder880,

If I use 6" solide block for the first floor, can I use 6" hollow block for the upper floor?
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 2:20pm On Feb 12, 2012
Yes, in fact that is what I did for my own duplex in the 6 bedroom reloaded thread. But ask your engineer if this is good for your plan, or send us the plan so we can advice you more.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by VIPICO(m): 3:00pm On Feb 26, 2012
Spydo, I'm here rightaway. I'm going to digest everything here word by word to
then go back to complete the 5 Bedroom Executive Duplex thread. I'm loving what you are doing, bro. You can still throw in a word for me on the thread I asked blocks related questions if you have the time. Like Fhemmy, let me concentrate on being a serious student. Exams beckon!
More concrete grease to your elbow!
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by VIPICO(m): 3:22pm On Feb 26, 2012
[b]For those of us that will decide to buy your blocks from the block industry, please note these points.

1. Buy from a stock produced a long time before you come for it, the longer the better.

2. Don't allow the owner of the block industry to talk you into waiting while he makes you a batch of blocks which you will come to collect in a few days/week time. He will surely reduce the cement ratio if you have paid. That one is sold so he can afford to produce below standard.

3. Buy from a block seller nearer to your site as this reduces some cost, but on one condition, if they have same quality as the one in other places.

4. Use your thumb and index finger to grab at the edges of the block samples, if its easier to breaks of and turn to sand, it is of low quality. And if its strong and will not break up easily, it is strong and will not break quickly on site.

5. Allow the block makers to water the block for some days before you carry from there, blocks that are not very dry are more brittle and will cost you more money in the end.

6. Watch the sand, if they are using sand from a flowing river to make their bloks, it will be more expensive than blocks made using roadside sand. The more expensive the sand, the more the blocks will be cost. Don't let them sell you blocks with lower cost sand at the price of higher cost sand.[/b][size=8pt][/size][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

I will never forget these points when I'm ready to start. Salient and very helpful point indeed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Clay House With Two Air-Conditions In Benin Spotted By A Nairalander (Photos) / Cost Of Plastering A 4 Flat Building. / The Making Of The "Anambra 5 Bedroom Duplex"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.