Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,341 members, 7,815,682 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

The Technology Of Block Making - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Technology Of Block Making (61325 Views)

Price Of Block In My Side / Construction Process Of Block Of Flat Of Two Story Building @ Alaba Intnl / How Many Units Of Block Will Be Needed To Build A Standard 3 Bedroom Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 11:30pm On Nov 07, 2015
Can I use 6" blocks to build my house instead of 9"?

The choice of blocks to use is backed by so many factors, most people prefer to use blocks with less width to reduce their expenses on concrete and even reduce their cost of blocks since 6" blocks are less costly that their 9" counterparts. Reduction of building costs is usually the main reason for this. Other reasons include the need for more room, as slimmer blocks can add some millimeters to your room sizes, other reasons might include weight reduction.

There are so many situations where we need to be very careful on the block type we use. There are places in a building where the width of your columns matter so much. Those corners of the house the columns bear a substantial load and thus needs to be more sturdy.

I will also sound a note of warning here, please ensure that a qualified professional looks at your building plan, the land and then the methods you might want to use before he will advice on the type of blocks to use. Things like the block type to use are usually spelt out in the structural drawings of a house plan.

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by michatilio: 5:41am On Jan 11, 2016
hello
please I would like to know whether I can use 6" hollow blocks to build a normal ground floor building.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Nobody: 5:49am On Jan 11, 2016
michatilio:
hello
please I would like to know whether I can use 6" hollow blocks to build a normal ground floor building.

Read post above yours from His Excellency Agbadanla 1 of property section grin

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by AreaFada2: 6:39am On Jan 11, 2016
Still very on point.

1 Like

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 9:11am On Jan 13, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Read post above yours from His Excellency Agbadanla 1 of property section grin

Oga mi, how things na? cheesy
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jan 13, 2016
spyder880:

Oga mi, how things na? cheesy

Na so we small boys just dey look you so.

You showed us the difference between men and boys on your "small" village build grin
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Ayodaygee(m): 8:28pm On Mar 25, 2016
@Oga Spyder...Pls can u send me your phone number in a personal msg. I really need to learn Block making and I think you can help me sir. wink

Thanks a lot.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 10:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
Ayodaygee:
@Oga Spyder...Pls can u send me your phone number in a personal msg. I really need to learn Block making and I think you can help me sir. wink

Thanks a lot.

080 333 50750
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by bosaniger: 1:06pm On Jun 24, 2016
Oga Spyder, well-done. Really love what you are doing. At last, you didn't give us any example of sand to cement ratio for moulding blocks fir walls. Say like how many headpans of sand to one bag of cement. Is it necessary to add stone dust and plaster sand to block mixture? Abeg, oga spyder free us from the suspense.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Cois(m): 1:38pm On Jul 04, 2016
spyder880:

080 333 50750

Hi spyder880

I was hoping to contact you personally via whatsapp or email. Would it be possible as I am from South Africa and interested in starting a small block making business and in desperate need of information. Thank you.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 10:50pm On Jul 04, 2016
Cois:

Hi spyder880

I was hoping to contact you personally via whatsapp or email. Would it be possible as I am from South Africa and interested in starting a small block making business and in desperate need of information. Thank you.

Thanks, you can contact me via watsapp.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Waleawojobi(m): 10:34pm On Jul 24, 2016
Good work you have been doing here OGA Spyder. More grease. I noticed you have not made any reference to blocks made with stone dust in this thread. Can you please enlighten your students on the difference between blocks made with sand and those with stone dust? How many blocks will be appropriate to make from a bag of cement using stone dust. 9" and 6". Thanks. I reman your humble student sir.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Wisdomdare: 12:35pm On Jul 29, 2016
Spyder, I will love it if you can make this into a book, it will help people you know, they can download it via pdf format or something
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by ACHILLES45: 8:00am On Jul 03, 2017
spyder880:
Can I use 6" blocks to build my house instead of 9"?

The choice of blocks to use is backed by so many factors, most people prefer to use blocks with less width to reduce their expenses on concrete and even reduce their cost of blocks since 6" blocks are less costly that their 9" counterparts. Reduction of building costs is usually the main reason for this. Other reasons include the need for more room, as slimmer blocks can add some millimeters to your room sizes, other reasons might include weight reduction.

There are so many situations where we need to be very careful on the block type we use. There are places in a building where the width of your columns matter so much. Those corners of the house the columns bear a substantial load and thus needs to be more sturdy.

I will also sound a note of warning here, please ensure that a qualified professional looks at your building plan, the land and then the methods you might want to use before he will advice on the type of blocks to use. Things like the block type to use are usually spelt out in the structural drawings of a house plan.

great insight sir,
just a little question to ask, i believe in your judgement much more than that of alot of other engineers.
I initially wanted to build my duplex with the 6'' solid and hollow blocks due to space constraints but now i'm thinking of changing my mind to use the 9'' hollow blocks for the foundation and external walls of my down floor only (to give enough room for large pillars and columns), I intend to use my 6'' solid blocks for partitioning on the down floor too, while i use only my 6'' hollow blocks for all walls on my upper floor.
pls i really need your advice on this.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by lonelydora: 8:32am On Aug 19, 2017
jerryben12:

There are 4" blocks as well. I recently did a partitioning with 4" blocks. It looks so nice. With the increasing cost of cement, 4" blocks may be the sure way to go.

Used only for partitioning like toilets and kitchen but not nice for use in building the whole house. 4" was invented for partitioning to avoid masons breaking blocks to fit into the partition they want to make.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dond2k: 5:01am On Sep 10, 2017
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dechong: 4:32pm On Sep 14, 2019
Please, where can i buy a 6" / 9" Manual hand Concrete Block Moulder in Nigeria 08061203206
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dechong: 4:35pm On Sep 14, 2019
spyder880:
this is a metal contraption made to mold blocks manually

Please, where can i buy a 6" / 9" Manual hand Concrete Block Moulder in Nigeria 0806120320
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dechong: 4:36pm On Sep 14, 2019
spyder880:
this is a metal contraption made to mold blocks manually

Please, where can i buy a 6" / 9" Manual hand Concrete Block Moulder in Nigeria 08061203206
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dechong: 4:38pm On Sep 14, 2019
Please, where can i buy a 6" Manual hand Concrete Block Moulder in Lagos, Nigeria 0806120320
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 4:44pm On Sep 14, 2019
dechong:

Check in the artisan markets in most cities. Ask block makers.

2 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by oyonu(m): 11:19pm On Nov 01, 2019
K
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 8:10am On Nov 02, 2019
We're still in the business of making new blocks daily. We are molding these blocks in our new site which we started work on this week.

2 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by dgitrader(m): 9:23am On Nov 02, 2019
Adressed.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by gremp(m): 4:12pm On May 21, 2020
spyder880:
We're still in the business of making new blocks daily. We are molding these blocks in our new site which we started work on this week.

Hello sir, I'd like to know if using 6inches solid blocks is okay and if it's cheaper or not too expensive to use than 9inches hollow blocks in a bungalow.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 4:22pm On May 21, 2020
gremp:

Hello sir, I'd like to know if using 6inches solid blocks is okay and if it's cheaper or not too expensive to use than 9inches hollow blocks in a bungalow.

It's okay in a bungalow. Just ensure that the piping of waste and electricity is well considered.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by gremp(m): 4:32pm On May 21, 2020
spyder880:

It's okay in a bungalow. Just ensure that the piping of waste and electricity is well considered.

Thanks for replying, so does that mean a mixture of solid and hollow has to be used so that the areas that need wiring/plumbing can get the hollow blocks in that specific place?.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by spyder880(m): 5:07pm On May 21, 2020
gremp:

Thanks for replying, so does that mean a mixture of solid and hollow has to be used so that the areas that need wiring/plumbing can get the hollow blocks in that specific place?.

Only your engineer or a person knowledgeable in building mechanical and electrical fixtures can say that, with prior knowledge of your building plans.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by gremp(m): 5:36pm On May 21, 2020
spyder880:

Only your engineer or a person knowledgeable in building mechanical and electrical fixtures can say that, with prior knowledge of your building plans.

Oh okay, thanks a lot.
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by chemicool: 10:38pm On Jun 02, 2020
spyder880:

If you know that you are tight on budget, use hand to mold your blocks. This is what most people here want to hear because oga Spyder himself used hand mold blocks.

2 Likes

Re: The Technology Of Block Making by InvertedHammer: 2:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
/
I am a big fan of hollow blocks. We run vertical bars and fill with concrete. This can only be achieved with hollow blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWjG6FYVHpQ
/
Re: The Technology Of Block Making by Dutycalls04: 1:16pm On Jun 20, 2020
Please how many 6" solid block will be enough from DPC to lintel in a four bedroom bungalow?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

86 Rooms Where Tenants Paid ₦250,000 A Year Found Under Dolphin Estate Bridge / A Clay House With Two Air-Conditions In Benin Spotted By A Nairalander (Photos) / Cost Of Plastering A 4 Flat Building.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.