Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng (49656 Views)

Photos: Lagos State Government Website (lagosstate.gov.ng) Has Been Hacked / 509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded - Nscdc.gov.ng / We Present To You, The (voluntarily) Redesigned Nigeria.gov.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by ogzille(m): 12:21pm On Sep 18, 2011
ok, the list is still open! oya omni add me, wink
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by NumberOne2(m): 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2011
I'm definitely in on this but enough coders in the house there is no need for more.

This is the role I propose: I'm in Abuja so I'm sure I can trace which office handles this when the project is done. Knocking on doors isn't my thing but I'll try.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Maximip(m): 1:17pm On Sep 18, 2011
I'm In

PHP (CodeIgniter)

CakePHP if I have to.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Scopgel1: 1:22pm On Sep 18, 2011
I can design simple animation like indexgroupng.com,jobperiscope.com can i com in
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by lakelake(m): 3:10pm On Sep 18, 2011
Great idea guys  !!!

You guys have talked about everything but unfortunately no one mentioned documentation , has anyone thoughtout that ? i dont think so. Therefore, a system like this needs to be documented and analyzed from a-z , case studies to sequence diagrams also documentation on the database schema has to be considered as not just a programmer or a designer that will be working on this very project forever . This is a federal project perhaps none of you guys might be responsible for the administeration of the site so they have to know the systems logically to be able to make future upgrades .
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Spysense(m): 3:19pm On Sep 18, 2011
I like dis concept,am on jsp and servlets,constructive criticisms and wililing to learn,pls count me in.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 7:08pm On Sep 18, 2011
lakelake,

I am actually writing the initial specs as we speak. Might not be anything official, as in SDLC style but will be something nonetheless. Of course, once written, it will be open to discussion/modification.

As mentioned in perhaps my original post, the positions will be many. In that document, I will specify what positions are needed. For example, it would be nice if we have someone familiar with visio for the wireframing.

No worry, I can assure you that all angles are covered. This is not some project done due to lack of what to do (believe me, my hands are over full) but something that needs to be done right from all angles. That way, if nothing else, we all learn from the process and apply it to our future jobs. Who knows? Maybe our future clients will read this thread and have more respect for what we do.

Cheers!
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by remoranger(m): 8:25pm On Sep 18, 2011
surprisingly i know visio grin so naija done dey catch up to wireframing? i am quite impressed,  i tot it was just, open dreamweaver first. then fireworks, then hosting. lol. but then. what do i know? grin
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by petres007(m): 9:37pm On Sep 18, 2011
yawa-ti-de:

@all:
To all those who have sent in their words of encouragement, thanks

2) Wow! This thread has generated 3 pages of responses. . .and we haven't even started work yet

2) Seun don do us o! Y im put this thing for home page?  I guess it is an auto script

THe above only adds to the pressure.  Oh well, somebody's gotta do it smiley

@beknown

1) I am doing this on the assumption that some bad belle will not accept the work. If that happens, we simply move on to the next thing.  The aim isn't to put people out of work but to show the world that Nigerians can do better than what we are currently seeing online

2) On page 2 of this thread or so, someone has already volunteered to hook us up directly with the source.  We will see how that goes.

@CyberG:
My fear is that if I carry the stakeholders along, they will stifle whatever innovation that we may have.  Assuming they accept the final product from us, they can modify as they see fit.  Again, the aim here is to show our country that it can be better.

@petres and others thinking alike:
I estimated 20 people but that doesn't mean that if the bucket is full, we can't buy another bucket smiley  Just throw your name in the hat.  You never know who might suffer a case of malaria and not be available on a certain day cheesy

@soreola:
Noted, about the blog.  As far as facebook, I dey fear d response.  I am already panicking about it being on NL's home page smiley

@omni:
Mr. Moderator, please email me (you have my private details wink) your phone number.  We need to talk smiley

Oya naa, I hereby throw my name in the hat grin

abeg sign me up for the design/graphics/css category. . . or at least the reserves grin
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by marocguy(m): 11:56pm On Sep 18, 2011
i am in. Somehow i hav a contact to the minister of youth affairs, bolaji abdullahi. He might hav interest. Maybe dat way i can help,as a liason 2 government. I dnt knw web design. My 2 cents
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Nobody: 12:13am On Sep 19, 2011
Great idea @yawa-ti-de, i had always wanted 2 be part of the ICT development in Nigeria, anywhere u feel that i can come in, u can let me know.
Skillz: Network Security(Ethical Hacking), .Net(C#, ASP), Java(SE, EE), C, Python, PHP, Perl.  
thanks once again for the initiative.  wink
Proudly Nigerian.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Afam4eva(m): 6:57am On Sep 19, 2011
I wish this energy was directed at doing something that will have an effect on a lot of people and not just government. Like the open source project we talked about initially. Anyways, I'll be willing to get my hand dirty in anyway I can. Just count me in.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by lynkyinka(m): 8:13am On Sep 19, 2011
pls count me in on a learning and data collection level
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 10:18am On Sep 19, 2011
@afam
Who is government? Isn't it the people? No mind naija style. Government is the people. So by helping the government, at least in this case, you are helping your fellow Nigerians in particular but also mankind in general. Welcome aboard smiley

@all
Rounding up initial "plan of attack" document. Should have it ready in a few hours, at the most.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by csharpjava(m): 1:01pm On Sep 19, 2011
[size=13pt]The domain Nigeria.bz and website hosting is available for the new website for Nigeria. let us show naija government we the people we can do a better job.[/size]
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 19, 2011
I agree all hands are ready to do the job but, one thing is missing which people are ignoring, that's the security part. Without addressing the security properly the whole thing will remain the same way it was. In this regard the host is the most important thing which must be addressed first before going about anything. Sftp is largely the host,backup is largely the host, maintenance is largely the host, if crackers succeed in getting through it is largely the host, etc. We should address these issues first as people ready to make it a better and safer website than repeating the same mistake of the past.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 1:40pm On Sep 19, 2011
@csharpjava
As discussed earlier, the issue of domain name shouldn't come up now.  For one, as we speak, by advertising your suggestion, some knucklehead will probably reserve the name in hopes that they can negotiate with us.  Secondly, we are not aiming to develop a site that rivals that of the government whereby if ours beats the official one on the SERPs, potential visitors already afraid of Nigeria, per 419, have further reason to cast us in a negative light.  Let us also not forget that we could stand to risk a lawsuit, for violating copyright laws.  We are merely suggesting what the site could look like, that's all

@all4naija
Your concerns have been answered below wink

@all
Please find attached the initial "plan of attack" document.  Bear in mind that this is merely a "30,000 foot" view of the project.  Suggestions are welcome and will be incorporated into the final document where applicable.  The document will get more "into it" as the project advances.

Note how I have named the file.  The last part (the date portion) will serve as my own version of  "source control".  There will be only one of this document and I will be the guardian of it, if you all don't mind.

Deadline for suggestions:
September 21, 2011.

Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by farouqzaib: 1:46pm On Sep 19, 2011
@Yawa-ti-de
Nice work so far!
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by OmniPotens(m): 1:49pm On Sep 19, 2011
Documentation is now out. All should endeavor to read, understand and put out suggestions. Don't wait or become an Oh Yes! member. All contributions are important and necessary.

Happy New Week to all!
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 19, 2011
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 2:29pm On Sep 19, 2011
chaircover:
Thanks.

DDA/508-compliance was implied but since you bring it up, I will add it to the document. Performance will be added as well (do you mean stuff like load testing, load balancing, etc? If not, do explain)
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 2:32pm On Sep 19, 2011
Oops! I forgot to add a "quick links" section. This will be part of the global features, a quick way to get to key info, since the site will have a lot of info on it.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by worldbest(m): 2:34pm On Sep 19, 2011
@yawa:

Great work, loving your leadership. I have no problem with the documentation.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Jencejyde(m): 3:16pm On Sep 19, 2011
@ Yawatide, I duff my hat to your bold approach and like I mentioned some time ago, I would be most interested to serve on this project.

Linux, html and css, Java , MCSA, ITIL certified just to mention a few.

Well i can see that the coders have taken up the css, html and php areas.

I would gladly contribute my expertise to the SEO aspect.

Keep me posted and I can easily be contacted via jidetobun@jacetcards.com

Well done to this initiative once again.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 19, 2011
@
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Seton(m): 3:24pm On Sep 19, 2011
@yawa, thank you very much for your passion and desire to lead this project. This is a project that will enable  us to give back to our community(Nigeria) which name many of us are proud to be associated with.
I can see that most of the places have been taken up.
If there is still space, you can enlist me on the SEO.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by OmniPotens(m): 3:30pm On Sep 19, 2011
I am just realizing how much talents we have on board here and for the very first time, all being eager to work in a collab project and for the VERY FIRST TIME. I'm still shocked that nobody has asked who was going to pay for the project too. Are we all not Nigerians again or have we lost our identities? Who say Nigeria no fit better if we say and work to it na big liar and winchie #AnAside

Pls @all, spaces still dey and plenty. Just download the document and do the contributors assignment at the end. If we are up to 50 then we'll have different choices to make from what we output and that calls for better output. Please, keep coming on board.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 3:43pm On Sep 19, 2011
I am posting the updated version of the doc, which includes names and assignments. Please note that contact info is missing. Send your contact info to omni, who in turn will send to me.

Also, real names wouldn't hurt cool

Thanks

Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by farouqzaib: 4:29pm On Sep 19, 2011
@Omni,
farouqzaib[at] Y [dot] com
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by lakelake(m): 4:35pm On Sep 19, 2011
okay,

who is an information architect because i can support with that aswell?

anney [dot ] lake at gmail [dot] com
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Sep 19, 2011
@Yawa
I think we should create a facebook group for this project. Posting this stuff here is not ideal.
Re: Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng by yawatide(f): 5:18pm On Sep 19, 2011
@lakelake
Information architect is the one who ensures that all information posted on the site is in the right place. So for example, taking into account the fact that people look at websites in an "F" pattern, the person would ensure that for example, logo is always at top left, search is at top right, the most important information is, "above the fold" and in general, information is easy to find.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend the book, "Don't make me think" by Steve Krug. It should be in the 2nd edition now

@afam4eva
You asked and I have delivered:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nigeriagovng-Redesign-Group/197530770316668?ref=ts

Now, send me your invite smiley

By the way, this thread will still be open, for the purpose of providing updates. As much as possible, I would like for the FB page to be members-only, until we have something to show.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Saad Abdulganiy Built A House In Ilorin (Photos) / Jack Dorsey Visits UNILAG (Photos) / Mark Zuckerberg And Wife, Priscilla Step Out With Their Baby Bump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.