Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. (43820 Views)

Fayemi Dances To 'Buga' Song While Celebrating Tinubu’s Victory (Pix, Video) / Jubilation In Lagos Market Over Tinubu’s Victory At APC Primaries (Video) / Error In Tinubu’s APC Revalidation Slip (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by CursedOsuPigs: 5:46pm On Mar 10, 2023
Xscape1993:
Everything about this man is questionable. I don't know why. I know they will definitely turn the law upside down. Nigerians will not be in this mess if the evil party had given their to Osinbajo, Amaechi or Fayemi.

Because they are Southern Christians?
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by CXLVII: 5:47pm On Mar 10, 2023
meetme01:

My question, is Abuja a State in Nigeria?

Literally, AND in every statement means PLUS (+).

We all know Abuja is not a State but the Capital Territory. This evidently shows in the statement AND the FCT. Therefore the constitution to me says, 24states + FCT.

BAT is the president elect but this is also good for our democracy. It shows, our legislators should use Grammarly or employ a linguistic while making laws to resolve ambiguities.

I rest my case till the Supreme Court says otherwise

Abuja is not a state
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by sosereal201(m): 5:48pm On Mar 10, 2023
TossTos:
The will of God and that of the people must prevail ..
remember say pipu wey vote Tinubu too na God create dem.

3 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by SenatePresdo(m): 5:48pm On Mar 10, 2023
kaylardz:
Nigerians are all equal irrespective of gender, social status, religion and geographical location. The people of Abuja are not superhuman, they are not different from the people of Ekiti state according to Nigeria constitution. 25% in FCT is not mandated to become president. Infact, one can score zero votes in the FCT, get the required 25% in 24 other states and become president. Tinubu presidency has come to stay, accept this fact and save yourself from high blood pressure and depression.

Interesting, you are now telling us to follow your own emergency constitution grin.

Even Yoruba professors of Law have admitted the Constitution stance on getting 25% in Abuja is a must.
Abuja and Ekiti are not the same.
Abuja is the FCT for a reason.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Pabloma: 5:48pm On Mar 10, 2023
Racoon:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/

"With APC not getting 25% in FCT, will there be a runoff? (corrected)"

https://www.thecable.ng/with-apc-not-getting-25-in-fct-will-there-be-a-runoff/amp

All this Obiwiriski awon wereeee...because una won FCT they should declare ELUPEeee winner .......una they m*d!!!! FCT is like a state in this issue....know this and know peace.......
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by meetme01: 5:49pm On Mar 10, 2023
abbey621:

Again ask yourself why would the Nigerian Constitution place FCT above all other territories/states? With the 100s of lawyers that APC, PDP and LP have at their disposal, shouldn't they have just concentrated on rigging Abuja? Since according to you guys FCT is above all other states, UNA NO WISE AT ALL grin grin grin

It is not. It was just a political gimmick that the parties can use to outsmart each other. Let's see PDP or LP won 24 states without Abuja. Don't you think APC can raise high brown?

Don't blame anybody. The politicians know what they are doing. At least you can see the Ahmed Lawan case, we all know, the other guy was cheated. But the law remains the law. Let the Supreme Court interprete that section. We learn everyday
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Princedapace(m): 5:49pm On Mar 10, 2023
kaylardz:
Nigerians are all equal irrespective of gender, social status, religion and geographical location. The people of Abuja are not superhuman, they are not different from the people of Ekiti state according to Nigeria constitution. 25% in FCT is not mandated to become president. Infact, one can score zero votes in the FCT, get the required 25% in 24 other states and become president. Tinubu presidency has come to stay, accept this fact and save yourself from high blood pressure and depression.

Unfortunately, the constitution made a mistake and used 'and'. That is the issue. There is no emotion in law. And no ignorance in law.
This can be capitalized honestly by strong team of lawers.
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Parachoko: 5:50pm On Mar 10, 2023
ArcSEMPECJ:

What are you talking about?
Is INEC server not opened for view?

INEC server is not open for the public view.
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by gigabyte13: 5:50pm On Mar 10, 2023
Carry this your worries and Grammar to the supreme Court........
As you Sabi law Lai dis,
Go join the 89 SANs to prove your case
No come dey do online law court here Abeg.
Online lawyers......
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by abbey621(m): 5:50pm On Mar 10, 2023
meetme01:

My question, is Abuja a State in Nigeria?

Literally, AND in every statement means PLUS (+).

We all know Abuja is not a State but the Capital Territory. This evidently shows in the statement AND the FCT. Therefore the constitution to me says, 24states + FCT.

BAT is the president elect but this is also good for our democracy. It shows, our legislators should use Grammarly or employ a linguistic while making laws to resolve ambiguities.

I rest my case till the Supreme Court says otherwise

AND means including, it is conjunctive and meant to treat FCT as part of the Nigerian states hence it is 25% in 2/3rds of 37 territories/states. Let's take a look at the USA which also has similar requirements in which it treats D.C as a territory for electoral votes. No reasonable person can say the candidates should get the most electoral votes but cannot become president because he or she didn't win D.C. IT'S PLAIN RIDICULOUS!

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by sunboy(m): 5:52pm On Mar 10, 2023
Funny enough, PDP and LP are not fighting for the FCT issue, they are only fighting about the rigging. Looks like someone here knows better than LP and PDP lawyers.
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by iichidodo: 5:53pm On Mar 10, 2023
Racoon:
Well said. What happened? Didn't see your lovely trademark posts for donkey's years sir. Quiet a long time bro.
Banned that's why....But I have some rhetorical humdingers ....watch this space..
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by MSesan: 5:53pm On Mar 10, 2023
Any body wey don read make he summarize am for me

Thank you in advance.
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by abbey621(m): 5:54pm On Mar 10, 2023
meetme01:

It is not. It was just a political gimmick that the parties can use to outsmart each other. Let's see PDP or LP won 24 states without Abuja. Don't you think APC can raise high brown?

Don't blame anybody. The politicians know what they are doing. At least you can see the Ahmed Lawan case, we all know, the other guy was cheated. But the law remains the law. Let the Supreme Court interprete that section. We learn everyday

I think most people arguing about this are not using common sense and yes, the Supreme Court will decide but it's going to be a fairly easy decision for APC. If you can read up about why the USA treats Washington D.C like a state when it comes to electoral collage, you'll see it is the same system the Electoral Act tried to follow, it's pretty simple for people not looking to cause mischief!
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by eeetuk(m): 5:54pm On Mar 10, 2023
" nator Bola Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress has been declared the winner of the 2023 presidential election, but with his failure to win 25 per cent of the votes in the Federal Capital Territory, many fear this could provide sufficient grounds for his opponents to challenge his victory, Alex Emunah writes"

There is nothing strategic ambiguity here!
Bola Tinubu did not win 2023 presidential election. He failed to win 25% of votes in the Federal capital of Nigeria, Abuja. The 1999 constitution of Nigeria is very clear on who is elected president of Nigeria and who doesn't. Win popular votes, win 25% in 24 states and win 25 % of votes in Abuja, then, you are elected president of Nigeria.

So, my advice to Atiku Abubakar is prepare for run-off election. This case is going to the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court will rule that no one won the presidency of Nigeria based on February 25,2023 results.

Who wants to bet on this?

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Doyou2019: 5:54pm On Mar 10, 2023
kaylardz:
Fvck your feelings.
The Law doesn't care about it!

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Doyou2019: 5:57pm On Mar 10, 2023
duro4chang:
The election has been won. Nothing can truncate the victory of Tinubu the president elect. You are just giving yourself unnecessary headache. No shaking. We are on ground.

If I be Tilumbu and e sure for me gan say Nigerians want me, na me gangan go ask INEC for a re-run.
But we know what we know na. Deep down he knows in his heart that the generality of Nigerians don't love him. Baba sha wan be king of the ashes any which way grin
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Toks2008(m): 5:58pm On Mar 10, 2023
Racoon:
The constitution is clear. FCT is not a state. Nigeria only has 36 states.

Dont mind them.

A winner of a presidential election must make 25% in twothird of the entire states AND ABUJA(Whether it is considered a state or not)

Now the main issue is the 2/3 factor...

2/3 of 36 states is simply 24 but what is 2/3 of 37 states? Shall we call 24.66 a viable number? Which state will be the 0.6

So in essence, the constitution demands that a winner must have two-third of 36 states which is 24states AND ABUJA making it 25 states in all.

Tinubu will not be sworn in regardless of the Criminal Inec chairman declaration.

But then as i always reiterate, Nigeria is a country where elephants can fly so Supreme Court might just be bought if the judges are corrupt.
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by iichidodo: 5:59pm On Mar 10, 2023
sunboy:
Funny enough, PDP and LP are not fighting for the FCT issue, they are only fighting about the rigging. Looks like someone here knows better than LP and PDP lawyers.
Because if they did then they have implicated themselves as to the fact that the election was free and fair..As long they hold out, thiefffnubu mandate will be very shaky and if the supreme court ruled in his favor, LP and PDP can always use the other bullet...25% for FCT...So thiefffnubu has a long way to go to legitimize and consolidate his mandate

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Mylove55(f): 6:00pm On Mar 10, 2023
Xscape1993:
Everything about this man is questionable. I don't know why. I know they will definitely turn the law upside down. Nigerians will not be in this mess if the evil party had given their to Osinbajo, Amaechi or Fayemi.
use your head knack wall
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Nobody: 6:00pm On Mar 10, 2023
Beremx:
I was trying to explain that part of the constitution to a friend and i ended up being confused myself.
English language seems to be a very difficult one to understand.
Let Supreme Court interpret the constitution abeg before English scatter my brain 😐😐😐
there's nothing confusing about it. If LP mention that thing in court I swear the judge will burst into hysterical laughter. Here is the thing, if you open the constitution and read it you will see that anywhere 36 states of the Federal Republican of Nigeria is mentioned they also write and the FCT. Reason is this, FCT is not a state but it has all the privileges of a state. It's not a state in the sense that it doesn't have a governor and a House of Assembly but it gets all the privileges of every other state. So if you get 25% in 24 states and FCT you are good to go. FCT will represent the 25th state.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by obembet(f): 6:00pm On Mar 10, 2023
FALANA: NO, RUNOFF NOT NECESSARY

Femi Falana, a senior lawyer, does not expect a runoff.
In an interview with Channels TV in January 2023, he said: “It is not a requirement that you must win the FCT. “Today, the courts have ruled that pursuant to Section 299 of the constitution, that the FCT should be treated as a state. That is the law.

“You don’t have to win the FCT; if you meet the requirement; that is two-thirds of the majority of states in the country. You don’t have to win the FCT.”

Section 299 of the constitution says: “The provisions of this Constitution shall apply to the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja as if it were one of the States of the Federation.”

I believe this man than any other laywer.

Anyway may the best candidate rule

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Andrelade: 6:01pm On Mar 10, 2023
Paraga joint analysis.No constitution require any body to win Abuja before he can become president .There is nothing special about Abuja.Abuja in this sense will be considered to be a state .
So what you are telling us is that even if a candidate lose the election and win Abuja ,he should be declare the winner ?The law here is ambiguous and this situation have been settled in 2003 .Even the law is ambiguous,what do you think the intention of the parliament was as at when the law was made??
Haba,if this is what Obidient are depending on then their case Is DOA.

3 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Emir01: 6:02pm On Mar 10, 2023
Fake lawyers supporting FCT 25%
FCT is just like a state according to section 299. Case closed. Obedients shud go to court for interpretation. Inec already new the caterial to be declared winner b4 election.

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Mylove55(f): 6:02pm On Mar 10, 2023
Racoon:
The constitution is clear. FCT is not a state. Nigeria only has 36 states.
read the judgement of supreme court in 2018 as you can see from this your article

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by sekundosekundo: 6:05pm On Mar 10, 2023
Stanweezy:
When INEC said go to court for interpretation of the 25% in FCT, forget it bkus they will twist it to suit their incompetence.

If APC high ranking member can come National to TV to tell us guidelines laid down by INEC, it's left for them to chose which one to obey or ignore.

Today APC and their supporters are enjoying it but tommorow they'll be at the receiving end.
Law is like two edged sword.

2 Likes

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by 0monnak0da: 6:05pm On Mar 10, 2023
grammarian247:

What is this one saying? Can't you just shut up if the issue is too complex for you to comprehend. The matter here is about constitutional provision that established that in addition to whatever else you win, you must get 25 percent of the vote cast in FCT. Speak to that and stop making a noise. I hate this backyard way of commenting on NL.

Your father should shut up
What makes you think your dirty mouth is bigger than anyone else's
Online VanDamme
Snake will bite your mother

You have no right to tell anyone to shut up
You are a bastard

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by joyd200: 6:05pm On Mar 10, 2023
Shagari's case is different from this. But if it is to applied, it supposes that the winners needs only 16.66% (25% of the two-thirds of total votes casted in the FCT). APC score over 19% in FCT, thereby constitutional return elected.
Racoon:
The Shagari case in 1979 have settled this issue, but the corruption ridden INEC mumbled fraudulent and curious incongruent electoral statistics to foist on a nation and asked aggrieved opponents to go to court.

INEC have been so corrupted that legal means have become the route wherein electoral matters are settle. Yet we said INEC is truly independent? What is the use of INEC existence?

1 Like

Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Mylove55(f): 6:05pm On Mar 10, 2023
Andrelade:
Paraga joint analysis.No constitution require any body to win Abuja before he can become president .There is nothing special about Abuja.Abuja in this sense will be considered to be a state .
So what you are telling us is that even if a candidate lose the election and win Abuja ,he should be declare the winner ?The law here is ambiguous and this situation have been settled in 2003 .Even the law is ambiguous,what do you think the intention of the parliament was as at when the law was made??
Haba,if this is what Obidient are depending on then their case Is DOA.
even the recent one of 2018,
Op and obidunce people will soon run mad in the street
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by Deepthoughts: 6:05pm On Mar 10, 2023
Racoon:

https://www.thisdaylive.com/

"With APC not getting 25% in FCT, will there be a runoff? (corrected)"

https://www.thecable.ng/with-apc-not-getting-25-in-fct-will-there-be-a-runoff/amp

The view of femi falana is backed the ruling of the appeal court,but the former AGF Aondakaa stated that the supreme Court ruled in 2008 that a candidate must get 25% of the vote in FCT to be declared elected president,no one has faulted his statement, I'm even suprise this write up didn't mention anything about it, well the case is now before the Court,the SANs Know what to do n time shall tell.
Re: 2023 Election: The Legal Issues In Tinubu’s Victory. by TOYNEX(f): 6:07pm On Mar 10, 2023
Jogs1900:
Na Supreme court go settle this matter las las.
After which we will now have to wait for PMB approval, using issues surrounding the redesign of Naira note as a case study.
What a country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nnamdi Kanu: My Death Will Make Biafra Come Far More Quicker (Video) / Buhari Replaces Ex-Ministers, Sends Nominees List To Senate / UK Government Reacts To Reports Of Buhari & Jonathan Meeting In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.