Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? (21824 Views)

6 Things Anyone Who Just Finished NYSC Will Relate With / Akwa Ibom Police Brutalized Corpers To An Unconscious State(Photos) / Private Companies In Lagos That Accept Youth Corpers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Akintola11(m): 12:16pm On Sep 16, 2011
This is not a good move on the part of the federal government, I know many who are undergoing their youth service and they are learning the ropes at many of our premier institutions as a form of work experience. This experience gained will help in all future endevours. Nigerians need to gain such training and if lack of money is the problem, he should lobby to increase his budget.

I also came across this article by Nasir El-Rufai about agriculture in Nigeria, http://thinkafricapress.com/nigeria/fixing-nigerias-agriculture Let me know what you think
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Syenite(m): 12:20pm On Sep 16, 2011
What difference does it make? 99% of Youth Corpers generally do not contribute to operations in these private companies. Most of them run errands like bank transactions, buying of food eg "boli",corn, soft drinks for staff, even collecting staff's children from their school, some of the ladies visit single staff at home to wash their clothes, plates, cook and warm their beds.

These might sound ridiculus but it is true. So if govt should stop sending corpers to these private firms ITs will take over from where the corpers stopped.
And does this also exclude private schools?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 12:24pm On Sep 16, 2011
@okyxz

You haven't taken time and reasoning to deduced my earlier post but you held on to your own opinion.

I have dealt with several private organisations and I know how it works.

Every company has a policy on recruitment and structure, the workers are graded according to their skills,qualifications and competence. What if they were no NYSC? Wont they employ?

Even after service with any Government agency you can still pursue a career path of your choice, hereby applying to such institution and you are supposed to be employed as a fresh graduate or based on entry level; which wont need too much expertise. You'll be trained on the job until you rise in rank without excess demand of 3-4 years experience for a job an SSCE holder can manage. Paper qualification and experience matters alot in this country and it has also affected employment. The companies too are too demanding.

Im trying to make two points here
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 12:31pm On Sep 16, 2011
hollandis:

@PINKREX
AND WHEN DID WE START DEPENDING ON GOVT

What are you saying undecided undecided? who said we depend on Govt.?
Syenite:

What difference does it make? 99% of Youth Corpers generally do not contribute to operations in these private companies. Most of them run errands like bank transactions, buying of food eg "boli",corn, soft drinks for staff, even collecting staff's children from their school, some of the ladies visit single staff at home to wash their clothes, plates, cook and warm their beds.

These might sound ridiculus but it is true. So if govt should stop sending corpers to these private firms ITs will take over from where the corpers stopped.
And does this also exclude private schools?

Yes thats what they do. I have a friend serving in Zenith bank Abj. He told me he is a messenger but this young man also got there based on his father's connection because he didn't want to serve in any stressful location. Tell me, to wht purpose is his service there?

Haven't the so-called purpose of 'experience gaining' been defeated?

If you send them to various Governmental institutions, they know whats wrong with our system and they can also be agents of change in government.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by zmurda(m): 12:32pm On Sep 16, 2011
[size=14pt]NA WHO GET BIG NYASH and CONNECTION GO GET JUICY NNPC JOB

I wonder if NNPC, DPR, NPDC, NCC would be taken out of the list.

There would be a killer demand for this juicy places. Guess who would get them? Not you on Nairaland. Some ministers gurl friend or cousin.

Some stupid policy statement made by a retrogressive minister.

From time immemorial there has been discrimination in work places based on talent and skills, connections, sometimes sheer luck and bravado. . .

It is no secret that a lot of the NYSC guys/girls in ministries are jobless. Hardly contributing anything for the whole of one year.

I think it's about time the whole thing is scrapped. Clueless ministers.
[/size]
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by atasteve: 12:35pm On Sep 16, 2011
Good at least it will serve the purpose for which it was created.

I just hope that government establishments will have enough capacity to accommodate them.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by SHABZ: 12:41pm On Sep 16, 2011
@pinkrex,its almost impossible for a fresher to get a job with a salary of 200k or 500k.Abeg check ur facts jor
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 12:52pm On Sep 16, 2011
SHABZ:

@pinkrex,its almost impossible for a fresher to get a job with a salary of 200k or 500k.Abeg check your facts jor

I didn't state it as a fact but it I just sounded hyperbolic to create effect.

And besides companies like Halliburton pay their corpers very well, How much do you think will be their entry level?

Also when you see vacancies for job positions that necessitate First degree with a year experience or 3 for a managerial position, that looks like a fresher to me.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 12:54pm On Sep 16, 2011
ok let me try & understand u properly, though i must say u r not explaining well.
first of all, it is the duty of govt to regulate and enforce employment policies within it's jurisdiction. if govt allows private companies misuse & abuse NYSC staff, then why are they a govt then? A private company must be able to demonstrate that it has useful & relevant roles for the NYSC staff b4 taking them on, that way u can be sure that the experience they gain are useful, and it is the duty of govt to monitor these processes. if a youth corper does not have requisite skills for a particular job, he could start fresh & be trained or the employer can find a ready made talent, otherwise unless the company will go without useful hands and be out of business.

pinkrex:

Even after service with any Government agency you can still pursue a career path of your choice, hereby applying to such institution and you are supposed to be employed as a fresh graduate or based on entry level; which wont need too much expertise. You'll be trained on the job until you rise in rank without excess demand of 3-4 years experience for a job an SSCE holder can manage. Paper qualification and experience matters alot in this country and it has also affected employment. The companies too are too demanding.

Again, i'm finding it difficult to understand ur point. if u could explain better?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by SHABZ: 12:55pm On Sep 16, 2011
@pinkred,are u kidding me?3yrs experience n still a fresher.lmao
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by ojeycombo(m): 12:57pm On Sep 16, 2011
z-murda[quote][/quote]

na wa ooooo
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 1:02pm On Sep 16, 2011
okeyxyz:

ok let me try & understand u properly, though i must say u r not explaining well.
first of all, it is the duty of govt to regulate and enforce employment policies within it's jurisdiction. if govt allows private companies misuse & abuse NYSC staff, then why are they a govt then? A private company must be able to demonstrate that it has useful & relevant roles for the NYSC staff b4 taking them on, that way u can be sure that the experience they gain are useful, and it is the duty of govt to monitor these processes. if a youth corper does not have requisite skills for a particular job, he could start fresh & be trained or the employer can find a ready made talent, otherwise unless the company will go without useful hands and be out of business.

Again, i'm finding it difficult to understand your point. if u could explain better?

I must admit my irregularities. But I cant do much because im multi-tasking here. Just take you time and read each sentence carefully. put the comma's n rest where I omitted so you can understand.
SHABZ:

@pinkred,are u kidding me?3yrs experience n still a fresher.lmao

3 years on one job is a fresher to me. tongue 'TO ME'
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by lacidi: 1:04pm On Sep 16, 2011
Well, for over 10 years now, Youth Corpers in Rivers State are not allowed to serve in Private firms, and I have not seen any corper posted to Rivers State that says he or she did not get a place to serve.

So the assumption that corpers cannot be absorbed in government establishments is wrong. Rivers State has already shown that it can be done.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by MMM2(m): 1:06pm On Sep 16, 2011
& i guess it becos of 19,500 i pity corpers angry
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by PINKBABE: 1:10pm On Sep 16, 2011
it is a welcome dvpt cos this will force other private establishment to employe our youths than changing them yearly like what i dont know. so that when they employ they will retain
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by hustla(m): 1:11pm On Sep 16, 2011
they wont wanna spread naw
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 1:23pm On Sep 16, 2011
lacidi:

Well, for over 10 years now, Youth Corpers in Rivers State are not allowed to serve in Private firms, and I have not seen any corper posted to Rivers State that says he or she did not get a place to serve.

So the assumption that corpers cannot be absorbed in government establishments is wrong. Rivers State has already shown that it can be done.

well, these multitude of corpers absorbed by river state, can somebody tell what their roles & responsibilities were, what is the outcome in terms of skills learnt? it is not enough to assign corpers to offices year-in year-out, they must be made productive.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Princek12(m): 1:34pm On Sep 16, 2011
Do both the federal and state governments have enough vacancies to accommodate the corpers who, but for the new government policy, would have been placed with private firms?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Sike(m): 2:11pm On Sep 16, 2011
Let's see how it goes!!
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by na2(f): 2:13pm On Sep 16, 2011
this can never work in a system like ours
what jobs do gov.ment have for young / fresh graduate. they are talking about private sector?
let them employ those on ground first, so many millions of x copa on the street but no job, wen u get to job sites, its mostly the private firms advertising so where is the hope

they should stop passing abstract statements without actions.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by gamechange(m): 2:26pm On Sep 16, 2011
The noble idea behind youth corp is to foster the spirit of patriotism, not for youths to gain work experience or some sort of internship at a pre arranged juicy post. This change in policy is the right thing to do, but their needs to be a fundamental change in the psyche of the nation for it to achieve its purpose, we need selfless leaders for a start.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Marchman: 2:29pm On Sep 16, 2011
The minister also mentioned that the  NYSC will be used as a finishing school, or a system where corps members will be encouraged to participate in large scale agriculture. In both cases, this will be more useful to the country than the current case, where govt is subsidizing private business with cheap labour. These companies don't employ real workers cos they believe they will always get cheap corpers, who they kick out at the end of the service year. This idea is well thought. Kudos to Bolaji Abdullahi!
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 2:29pm On Sep 16, 2011
gamechange:

The noble idea behind youth corp is to foster the spirit of patriotism, not for youths to gain work experience or some sort of internship at a pre arranged juicy post. This change in policy is the right thing to do, but their needs to be a fundamental change in the psyche of the nation for it to achieve its purpose, we need selfless leaders for a start.

God bless you
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Nobody: 2:41pm On Sep 16, 2011
This sounds like a broken record. We've heard this before several times.

It shows visionless leadership on the part of NYSC and the Larger Nigerian Government to gather several tens of thousands of Nigerian youth for a whole year doing nothing. Sitting at CDs wasting away, not adding any value.

NYSC need to be reconcieved, national integration is not enough reason, we need to come up with something value adding both the the corpers and to the nation.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by felix4real: 2:51pm On Sep 16, 2011
I’m one of those agitating against the proscription of NYSC. It’s obvious that banks/oil companies are very juicy for corps members due to the mouth-watering allowance ranging from N30-50K monthly allowance, whereas, their colleagues in schools and other organisations receive 5k or less even some organisations don’t pay at all. From all indications, the mad rush of corps members to serve in these juicy companies is as a result of the financial incentives. Have u taken time to find out those that are absorbed in banks? I’ll tell you; they’re relatives of top shots of these companies or connected to those in corridor of power. Corps members who are posted by NYSC officials to serve in the banks are not usually accepted; even those who read Accounting, Biz Admin or other related courses are rejected because they’re not ‘connected.’ Have u also asked yourself why most of the corps members are ladies? They fuse them in the marketing dept. to get unrealistic targets. What happens when they could not get it? They have to succumb to all sorts of demands from management! If they refuse, they would go to classroom(s) or go to a place where little or nothing is paid. My assertion is based on evidence before me as a serving corps member. Why is everything in Nigeria being pushed to religion, how is the issue of a policy to restrain corps members to serve in banks relates to religion? My candid opinion is that posting of corps members to these places are being influenced by their family members or use what they have to get what they want. Meanwhile, the FG’s reasons to ban posting of corps members to banks is part of the reforms to b carried out in the NYSC. The minister said 90% of d ministry’s budget is spent on 10% of youth’s population (corppers) in d country. “it’s using public funds to subsidize private business.” For me it’s a welcome devt. You re expected to serve the country not where you’ll get juicy pay.

I beg to differ on your allegations (see highlighted comments in your quote). As a serving corps member, i expect you to know better and stand for the truth. The salient points are:
1. Corps Members get accepted into banks if they are needed;
2. Banks do not consider discipline in accepting corps members; the same policy applies to their full staff recruitment. And this is hinged on their   belief that core banking operations of today does not need specialized training (whether in Banking, accounting or financial management). What they do is look for the best brains, recruit and train them on banking operations and practices (the kind of training you don't receive in classes whether as a banking, accounting or financial management graduate);
3. Anybody can be accepted into the bank if you've got the brains and you can prove it (i'm a living testimony to this. i was posted to a bank (name withheld) along with 5 other people. Three of them came with 'special reference' from the state coordinator and an executive director, but guess what! they were rejected because they were dumb and the two of us accepted had nobody but God and our brains;
4. Contrary to your claims; the banks do not use and dump corps members, some of them retain you if you do well. I admit that in some branches they give you marketing and high targets, but that does not stop them from paying you at the end of the month or stopping you from passing out when you are done. On the contrary, if you do meet those targets (as some do), chances are that you would be retained. But not all corps members are made marketers (i was posted to operations and got retained after service. i worked for a further two years before resigning because i needed a career change).
5. The allowance that banks (and other private companies pay) is way above what NYSC pays; hence the assertion that govt cannot be spending its money on private companies is laughable, because govt cannot cater for corps members and 80% of them are absorbed by these private companies.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by femmy2010(m): 2:57pm On Sep 16, 2011
The hitherto steady supply of Corpers meant private firm could continue their idea of casualization of workers which is very anti-labour,
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 2:59pm On Sep 16, 2011
gamechange:

that "noble idea" was based on a cold-war ideology that is long disused & abandoned in the bins of history, the world has evolved & NYSC should do the same to transform into a leadership & internship training programme, at least that way they'd be worth more when they compete in jobs opportunities locally & abroad. u'd be surprised that other countries recognize our NYSC on a CV. imagine what more value it would aqcuire if it was called national youth internship & leadership scheme(NYLIS). ol boy, business & economics rules jo.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Exponental(m): 3:00pm On Sep 16, 2011
Good one,
Supported! Those bast.ard will stop using dem like rag, giving dem penny, as if its favor.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by 2goodbobo(m): 3:03pm On Sep 16, 2011
@hollandis, please is bad and insultive for you to call people that are airing there opinions fools.please recall that insult because we all are matured here and deserve some form of respect even thou is an anonymous forum.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 3:11pm On Sep 16, 2011
March man:

The minister also mentioned that the  NYSC will be used as a finishing school, or a system where corps members will be encouraged to[b] participate in large scale agriculture[/b]. In both cases, this will be more useful to the country than the current case, where govt is subsidizing private business with cheap labour. These companies don't employ real workers cos they believe they will always get cheap corpers, who they kick out at the end of the service year. This idea is well thought. Kudos to Bolaji Abdullahi!

LWKMD grin
large scale farming?? does he want to give them hoes & cutlasses to farm? large scale farming is now mechanized & u only need a few people to do what thousands used to do.
And there's nothing wrong with subsidizing private businesses, it serves as incentive to enable them take on graduates to acquire real life business engagement & skills they'll need to succeed in life.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 3:12pm On Sep 16, 2011
felix4real:

I beg to differ on your allegations (see highlighted comments in your quote). As a serving corps member, i expect you to know better and stand for the truth. The salient points are:
1. Corps Members get accepted into banks if they are needed;
2. Banks do not consider discipline in accepting corps members; the same policy applies to their full staff recruitment. And this is hinged on their   belief that core banking operations of today does not need specialized training (whether in Banking, accounting or financial management). What they do is look for the best brains, recruit and train them on banking operations and practices (the kind of training you don't receive in classes whether as a banking, accounting or financial management graduate);
3. Anybody can be accepted into the bank if you've got the brains and you can prove it (i'm a living testimony to this. i was posted to a bank (name withheld) along with 5 other people. Three of them came with 'special reference' from the state coordinator and an executive director, but guess what! they were rejected because they were dumb and the two of us accepted had nobody but God and our brains;
4. Contrary to your claims; the banks do not use and dump corps members, some of them retain you if you do well. I admit that in some branches they give you marketing and high targets, but that does not stop them from paying you at the end of the month or stopping you from passing out when you are done. On the contrary, if you do meet those targets (as some do), chances are that you would be retained. But not all corps members are made marketers (i was posted to operations and got retained after service. i worked for a further two years before resigning because i needed a career change).
5. The allowance that banks (and other private companies pay) is way above what NYSC pays; hence the assertion that govt cannot be spending its money on private companies is laughable,  because govt cannot cater for corps members and 80% of them are absorbed by these private companies.

First I'm compelled to hiss! mtcheeeeeeeeeww!!!

Because it worked for you, you now deem it fit to 'Generalise'?! Come to think of  it, why should corpers in Banks be given unrealistic budgets when they hardly know how it works, because if how they are retained is to do a job they don't know about well before being retained then i guess that system will favour only few; besides not only the smartest has the right to employment.

This now boils down to the ratio at which your self inclination is not mostly the pervasive situation.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Greenslim: 3:14pm On Sep 16, 2011
Private companies should be made to pay for such service to sustained government expenditure on corps members.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NYSC Batch C 2014 Kwara Corpers, Meet Here!!! / Corper Almost Attacked In Rivers For Being ‘Less Biafran' / A Corper Receives Chieftaincy Title In Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.