Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? (21821 Views)

6 Things Anyone Who Just Finished NYSC Will Relate With / Akwa Ibom Police Brutalized Corpers To An Unconscious State(Photos) / Private Companies In Lagos That Accept Youth Corpers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 3:18pm On Sep 16, 2011
okeyxyz:

LWKMD grin
large scale farming?? does he want to give them hoes & cutlasses to farm? large scale farming is now mechanized & u only need a few people to do what thousands used to do.
And there's nothing wrong with subsidizing private businesses, it serves as incentive to enable them take on graduates to acquire real life business engagement & skills they'll need to succeed in life.

So you are saying the Agricultural sector is really doing well? Or only Banking and business skills is what you only  need to succeed? I laugh at your, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Many people have neglected farming and other sources of income for white collar jobs. If you are to be optimistic and objective then this is a sure way to reducing that. Diversification of labour is also what we need. And these chaps are too promising not to do well with new ideas.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 3:25pm On Sep 16, 2011
femmy2010:

The hitherto steady supply of Corpers meant private firm could continue their idea of casualization of workers which is very anti-labour,
it is the govt who are failing in their duties to regulate labour & casualization, not the businesses themselves. businesses are only taking advantage of these failings. simple.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 3:34pm On Sep 16, 2011
pinkrex:

So you are saying the Agricultural sector is really doing well? Or only Banking and business skills is what you only  need to succeed? I laugh at your, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Many people have neglected farming and other sources of income for white collar jobs. If you are to be optimistic and objective then this is a sure way to reducing that. Diversification of labour is also what we need. And these chaps are too promising not to do well with new ideas.

No, i am saying that it's unrealistic & laughable to want to push that many thousands into farming. competitive farming these days is technology driven & not strength of numbers. thus we can't use the same systems like our fathers did, or do you want to give them a hectre of land each to farm in?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Roland17(m): 3:39pm On Sep 16, 2011
If that includes children of Top politicians, Ministers, Senators and the Overtly influential Nigerians, then am Ok with it.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by pinkrex(m): 3:42pm On Sep 16, 2011
okeyxyz:

No, i am saying that it's unrealistic & laughable to want to push that many thousands into farming. competitive farming these days is technology driven & not strength of numbers. thus we can't use the same systems like our fathers did, or do you want to give them a hectre of land each to farm in?

What are you saying?

Most of our fathers today practice sustenance agriculture and that's why we import a lot of things. Commercial farming should also be encouraged.

Answering your funny question, They are not going to farm on hectres of land but they will use their knowledge wisely, there are various departments in agriculture, fish farming, the mechanical operators(skilled) many others, they can also be used as extension workers to sensitise the local farmers.

Wasn't Agriculture the main source of income in the late 60's??
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by CasCas2: 4:01pm On Sep 16, 2011
Rivers State has been implementing this for a long time. Is it a success? I can't say.

Personally, I think it is good. Let all applicants be on the same starting point after service, applying for the same positions that were available for the retained corp members.

Secondly, there are companies that will never retain but they will always have corpers working hard for them. They USE the corpers as cheap labour and literally dump them after service.

Conversely, does the local, state and federal governments have enough places to absorb the corps memebers in every state?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by HOLLY55: 4:28pm On Sep 16, 2011
This is absolute rubbish and nonsense,this so called minister is mentally derailed and needs a psychiatric treatment ; if we do a thorough research you will discover that this same minister did her NYSC in a private firm.What does she mean by saying they are using government resources to develop private firms? are private firms not paying tax or performing their social responsibility,in addition private firms contribute more to the economy and manpower development of 80% of labour in Nigeria.
This is highly unfair because our leaders are just trying to kill the future of this country;during ,my service 85% of my colleagues that served under government establishment came passed out without any value added to them because the government establishment does not have a program to develop this youths neither to they pay them well or cater for there welfare.
After my one year service in the private firm where i served with about 3 other colleagues of mine there was a great difference in both our personal,career and academic life compare to those of our colleagues who served in the ministries,LGA and even schools.

Advice to GEJ and this stupid minister;

Rather if you want this nation to develop and move forward economically and progress politically please deploy 90% of corps members to private establishment where they will have real practical experiences and challenges that will help build their careers and further boost the human resources and man power development of this nation.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by itiswell1(m): 5:16pm On Sep 16, 2011
Let us see if they can absolve all the corpers without the service of private companies
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Sep 16, 2011
I think NYSC has been proscribed.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by sleek29(m): 6:26pm On Sep 16, 2011
Absolute nonsense, that way we get to turn our already half baked graduates to stale graduates, ow do u expect a engineering graduate for instance to teach secondary school students english language for a year and you still expect dat same graduate to even remember basic engineering terms, if you ask me I'll say just scrap the damn thing its a complete waste of time Absolute nonsense, that way we get to turn our already half baked graduates to stale graduates, ow do u expect a engineering graduate for instance to teach secondary school students english language for a year and you still expect dat same graduate to even remember basic engineering terms, if you ask me I'll say just scrap the damn thing its a complete waste of time
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by jacobs123(m): 6:38pm On Sep 16, 2011
I think this may turn out to be a good move. If they really ensure that no corper serves with Private organisations including Children of Ministers and other BIG MEN, then I'm convinced that it won't be too long before we all realize that NYSC needs to be scrapped.
I keep saying it that NYSC is one of the causes of employment in this country but people seem to disagree. Some even think that without NYSC people won't get jobs.
The truth is that NYSC or not, if the vacancies really exist, companies will hire. it may not be you or me but someone will be hired!
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Starlett: 8:18pm On Sep 16, 2011
Good idea. Most of the children of the rich get posted to the Oil companies and banks/telecom to "serve". Wonder who's deceiving who.

When we served, we were told that the policy is that at least 70% of the corps members should serve as teachers in public schools. Why that is not being followed anylonger is anyone's guess.

But then, thought this same policy some time ago but was not sustenable??
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by chrysso83(m): 11:33pm On Sep 16, 2011
Is that the only thing the so called minister thinks he can do for Nigerian youths? I just see this purely as lack of vision and foresight. A friend of mine who is serving in one of d so called govt organisations tells me how he sleeps all day in office where he is serving. Is that how the minister want the Nigerian youths to develope? He should better have a rethink. Or may be he had nothing else to say on that 100days occasion
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by okeyxyz(m): 12:08am On Sep 17, 2011
chrysso83:

Is that the only thing the so called minister thinks he can do for Nigerian youths? I just see this purely as lack of vision and foresight. A friend of mine who is serving in one of d so called govt organisations tells me how[b] he sleeps all day in office where he is serving[/b]. Is that how the minister want the Nigerian youths to develope? He should better have a rethink. Or may be he had nothing else to say on that 100days occasion

Tell dem o. sad
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Jeezuzpick(m): 7:10am On Sep 17, 2011
@ All,

If you are a fresh graduate, to where would you like to be posted?

Choose from below:

NITEL or MTN/GLO/AIRTEL/ETISALAT?

NTA or CHANNELS/SILVERBIRD/AIT/all others?

NNPC or SHELL/CHEVRON/MOBIL?

I could go on and on,

This may be good for the Government Establishments, but, pray tell,
is it good for the CORPERS?

Getting posted to the right place often sets corpers for the rest of their
professional lives, but now, imagine what a corper stands to gain in a
Local Government Office, Village School, Community Health Centre with
no Equipment, Drugs or Consumables,

Am I painting a bleak picture or being realistic?

Which Government resources are they even talking about, sef?

Their measly alawi, right?
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 17, 2011
Mouth action.-nah just talk people.it can't happen.No be nigeria?hisses
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by ridgeman: 11:19pm On Sep 17, 2011
I pity those who get posted to public offices,

Exactly what do you hope to get out of being posted to a Government entity? A job? Valuable experience? Useful Contact? Exposure?

Forget all of that

With the decrepit, inept and incompetent public institutes we have it will be nothing but pure torture to send Corpers to them.

This is another half baked opportunity by a mischievous minister to 'siphon' funds out of the NYSC.

How will we the public keep track of the NYSC funding if all of them and I mean all of them are now to serve in public institutions when the public institutions themselves are falling to pieces? At least the private sector is more transparent i.e. if you earn you stay in business if you don't then bye bye

This is a huge massive step backwards
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by AjanleKoko: 11:45am On Sep 24, 2011
Good development.
Most multinationals don't even retain corpers anymore, anyway.
It's supposed to be 'service to the nation' anyway, not service to your career. I give this a thumbs up, if they can get it to work.
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by DisGuy: 7:09pm On Sep 24, 2011
This is a brilliant idea, the current system is too corrupt and open to abuse

or they can fine tune it

any private company needing a corper should pay a N40,000/month minimum and the companies cant reject students without resons!!! and no late payment
Re: NYSC Will Stop Posting Youth Corpers To Private Companies? by oghos2k(m): 2:12pm On Sep 28, 2011
NYSC has always been crap and they wanna make it more crappy. The government doesnt seem to care about people that studied other courses apart from those that studied medicine. medical students are posted to hospitals and the rest to crappy appointments. Really screwed up system we've got. They should just scrap the damn thing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NYSC Batch C 2014 Kwara Corpers, Meet Here!!! / Corper Almost Attacked In Rivers For Being ‘Less Biafran' / A16 Enugu Corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.