Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,188 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? (4680 Views)

Female Suicide Bomber Attacks Military Checkpoint In Borno - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Okays Military Checkpoint In 'frontline States' / Adeboye Curses Pastors Collecting Bribes From Politicians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Seun(m): 11:39pm On Sep 16, 2011
The answer is yes, according to this guy:
Well, from what I heard (unconfirmed though) all the amounts collected goes first to the DPO of the area. From there a portion is sent further up the ladder to the Area Commander and from there could go as far as to the commissioner. In fact in the days of good old Tafa we heard it could go as far as to the IG himself.
Who gets all the checkpoint money? - UgoMetrics

Is he right? If so, what percentage goes to the DPO, Area Commander, Commissioner of Police, and IG?
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Sep 16, 2011
Yes of course, policemen on highway and road blocks are given targets by there superior,any extra afta dat is 4 dem 2 share among demselves,dat y dey go 2 any length achieve dis,many officers lobby 2 b on patrol,no 1 lyk 2 b in d station, So any unit found lacking (not meetin up target) re replaced,dat y dey re always mean a civilians,

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by mitofag: 11:54pm On Sep 16, 2011
No, they send some to their wives, some to pay school fees and the rest is for "igbaladun."

Is the OP trolling or what?
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Nobody: 12:00am On Sep 17, 2011
excerpt from a human rights watch report

Corrupt System of Monetary “Returns”

Police officers ranging in rank from constable to assistant commissioner of police described to Human Rights Watch the existence of a scheme of “returns” throughout the police hierarchy, by which superiors demand their subordinates pay informal sums from the money
made from bribes and extortion at police posts. Sometimes these amounts influence the process of placement and transfers to posts by the assigning officer. In many cases, superior officers set monetary “targets” for their subordinates and remove from their posts those who
fail to meet them. The returns the move up the chain of command as officers who take returns from their subordinates in turn pay their superiors for the same reasons. Several police officers and civil society leaders working on policing issues in Nigeria identified the
system of returns as a key dynamic underlying, and indeed driving, the extortion and related abuses perpetrated by Nigerian police officers at all levels.Human Rights Watch interviewed nine police officers, including two in senior posts, as well
as a former senior police official who investigated cases of police corruption and an intelligence operative in the State Security Service, who either personally paid returns orconfirmed the existence of the system of returns in the Nigeria Police Force. They
characterized the problem as widespread, pervasive, and deeply embedded into the practices of the force. An assistant commissioner of police referred to this practice as“institutional corruption” that “drives the lower ranks to extort money from the public.”
Similarly, the former senior police official who had investigated cases of high-level police corruption characterized the problem as follows:
The corruption, the returns, this whole thing, it is so pervasive, so deep, it is what is running the force. It is what is keeping the entire police force going because every posting is determined by that. Every officer who is posted has to make money for him to remain in that post, or if you are not in a good posting, you must struggle to get a good posting.

The 2008 Presidential Committee on Police Reform found that “The taking of bribes and their passage up in the rank structure has almost become institutionalized” in the Nigeria Police  Force. According to the former assistant commissioner of police, “The top hierarchy of the
force knows these things exist.” A police corporal with eight years of experience in the police force told Human Rights Watch, “They have this business of returns in all the stations I’ve worked in—Ogun, Oyo, and Lagos [states]—it’s the same system.”275 Another police
corporal with nine years of experience on the force in Kwara State and Lagos State said, “All the stations that I have worked at, I have had to pay returns.”276 Civil society leaders interviewed by Human Rights Watch agreed. The head of a civil society organization who
works closely with rank-and-file police officers noted that “The upper level officers have built a network of sharing proceeds derived from corruption among themselves. They all feed fat on it.”277

While Human Rights Watch was unable to ascertain how far bribes and money extorted by  the rank-and-file advance up the chain of command, several police officers, including an assistant commissioner of police who investigated police corruption, believed it goes all the
way up: “The returns are from the lowest level to the highest. The smallest man gives to the DPO [divisional police officer], the DPO to the commissioner of police, and the commissioner of police to the inspector general.”278 Those in the junior ranks who paid returns to their
superiors generally also held the view that the returns went to the top.279 Police Recruitment: “All about the Money”
Corruption in the police force often starts during the process of recruitment. To be accepted as a trainee, candidates frequently must pay bribes to the recruitment officers. A policeconstable in Lagos, who joined the force six years ago, described to Human Rights Watch
how he had to bribe a recruiting officer: “After I submitted the application, a police officer said the superiors had already chosen their officers and that I would have to pay if I wanted in. I had to pay ₦20,000 ($159) to an inspector in Ikeja [in Lagos State].”280 Based on the
experience of many new recruits he has talked with, a police sergeant in Lagos explained, “As a civilian wanting to enter the force, the [recruiting] police officer will demand money to join up. New recruits have to pay to get in the force … from ₦50,000 to ₦100,000 ($417 to
$833).”281
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 17, 2011
The civil society leader who has worked with rank-and-file police officers pointed out that
“Recruitment is not done on the basis of merit—many don’t have proper credentials—they
must know someone or give money.”282 The payment of bribes by recruits sets a precedent
for corruption in their work to come. As a former member of the Police Service Commission
explained, from the point of entry into the force the recruit learns that police work is “all
about the money.”

Payment of Bribes to Obtain and Remain in Lucrative Posts
Once new recruits enter the police force they often have to bribe their superiors to be
assigned to lucrative posts—assignments where police officers have ample opportunities to
demand bribes and extort money from the public—or to be considered for promotions. A
post is considered to be lucrative either as a function of the particular assignment—for
example manning a roadblock or directing traffic—or due to their geographic locations, such
as commercial centers or regions of the country where the police are more likely to come into
contact with wealthy individuals, businesspeople, or market traders.284 A police corporal in
Lagos State explained:
The best posts are traffic and patrol. The traffic officers … are the ones who
make good money. Look at me, I’m not shining, but they are shining. They
have money to eat 10 times a day and they dress nice. Sometimes I hear
them talking at the station: “I arrested them last night and he give me
₦20,000 ($167). I didn’t even expect it-oh!” People really want those
postings. Sometimes they give money to their superiors to get what they
want.285
Similarly, a police sergeant assigned to an administrative post in a Lagos police station
described what a lucrative posting is:
Within our station, traffic is the most lucrative department. This is because
they have most dealings with the public. Some of them who are even
younger than me get ₦1,000 ($cool every day. They give nothing of this to me. I
hear them talking about how much they get…. They’ll say, “Oh today I make
money-oh, let’s drink beer…. I done do well today.”286
A former senior police official who had investigated cases of police corruption described to
Human Rights Watch how, in his experience, the process of obtaining duty-transfers
generally works:
You buy the posting. For example, you know which roadblocks give money. If
you want to be posted there where you can make more money, you must give
the person doing the posting money … for you to get to that roadblock you
must pay your way to enter. And for you to remain there you must continue to
pay.287
Once a police officer has been assigned to a specific post, the officer is often expected to
make monetary returns to the superior officer to remain in the post or to secure a promotion.
Those who fail to meet them will be transferred out of the post and a new officer transferred
in.
The former police official who had investigated this practice explained how the system of
returns likewise applies to senior officers: “The DPO [divisional police officer] who is in
charge of the police station, if he wants to remain the DPO at that place, has to find a way of
bribing those at the state headquarters.” He further noted that a state “commissioner of
police on his own has to find a way of having good placing with [force] headquarters” by
paying the officials in Abuja where the posting is done. He explained that police officers
posted to northern states are “desperate” to be transferred to states where economic
activity is greater such as Lagos or state commands in the east.288
Human Rights Watch interviewed several police officers who described having been given
monetary targets by their superiors. According to a 28-year-old police corporal in Lagos, “The
boss tells us there is a particular amount that each officer must bring.”289 Another corporal
working on a surveillance team in Lagos described his experience with the system of returns:
There are five of us in the team: two constables, one corporal, one sergeant,
and one inspector. At the end of the week there is usually a return that we
give to our superiors. At the end of each day we count the money on the way
back as someone is driving. We give it to the inspector. At the end of the
week the inspector then gives to the DSP [deputy superintendent of police].
The DSP then pays to the DPO [divisional police officer]. My boss, the
inspector, tells me that the DSP says he has to pay to his boss. We all put in
a donation and give ₦5,000 ($33) a week to our superior. If we don’t do that,
they will change us.290
Similarly, an intelligence officer with the State Security Service in Anambra State described
what he observed at one of the divisional police headquarters in Onitsha:
The DPO [divisional police officer] set up different teams. Each team had to
give returns to the DPO each week. If they failed to pay the amount given as a
target, they would be removed from their “nice” posts. The person who led
the team would drop the envelope at the DPO’s office. There would usually
be four, five, or six [police officers] in a team. Some teams gave back
₦20,000 ($132), at times ₦15,000 ($99). It depended on the amount given to
them before they started the work for the week.291
A police constable who drives a police van in a seven-person surveillance team in Lagos
explained how his team divided up the money derived from extorting ordinary citizens,
including what was given to their superior:

At the end of the day before going to the station, we park behind the station
and count the money together. We will now take the “return,” out of the
money…. The superior among us then gives it to the superior at the station—
the sum is usually around ₦4,000 ($33) a day—and the remaining we would
now share it. The highest I got in one day was ₦5,000 ($42); other days, just
₦2,500 ($21). The amount we got depended on the amount left over [after the
return].292
Police officers who fail to pay returns to their superiors or meet the targets specified by them
are sometimes “punished” and sent to less desirable posts where they have less chance to
make money through extortion and bribes. A police constable in Anambra State described
what happened to him:
If we don’t pay returns each week, we will be removed. There is a certain
amount requested every week that you have to pay. The head of the team is
the one who has to pay the return. In my last post I refused to pay my returns
and they removed me to desk work. If you are not giving anything, they will
be suffering you a lot and put you where you can’t get even one naira.293
The former senior police official who had investigated cases of high-level police corruption,
observed that in his experience, police officers at all levels participate by paying their
superiors in a corrupt struggle to remain in preferred positions: “Those in the poorer states
are desperate to go there and unseat you. There’s this ongoing competition…. This [system
of] returns is how it happens.”294
Denial of Problem by Senior Police Leadership
The senior police leadership, for the most part, denies the existence of the corrupt system of
returns in the Nigeria Police Force. In an interview with Human Rights Watch in May 2009,
the Lagos State police commissioner strenuously refuted that police officers “make returns”
to superior officers: “That is not true…. Nobody does that. If I get such reports, that DPO
[divisional police officer] is finished. We have human rights sections and a provost here. No
junior officer has ever reported to me that they are asked to give money.”295 Similarly, the

chairman of the Police Service Commission told Human Rights Watch, “I have heard of this
but have not received any complaints.”296
On the other hand, a senior official at the Police Service Commission acknowledged that
“The commission is aware that many police officers picked up on the street [for extortion]
make returns to their superior officers.”297 The police force public relations officer in Abuja
alluded to a key problem when investigating these cases: “It is difficult to prove such cases,
because it is the junior officer found with the money and then it is his word against the
superior officer’s word.”298
Whether due to the difficulty of establishing such cases or the leadership’s willfully turning a
blind eye to these corrupt practices, the police have failed to hold accountable senior
officers who demand or accept returns from their subordinates. A senior official at the Police
Service Commission told Human Rights Watch that he was not aware of any cases in which a
senior officer had been disciplined, let alone prosecuted, for taking returns from a
subordinate officer.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Seun(m): 2:57pm On Sep 17, 2011
Interesting. Where do these articles come from?
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by jamace(m): 7:02pm On Sep 17, 2011
Yes naa. Failure to send returns will mean permanent deployment in the office. grin grin
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by member479760: 10:05am On Sep 18, 2011
and someone is telling me that Ribadu is not among dem.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by bodejohn(m): 10:09am On Sep 18, 2011
They do not only send it up the leader to their superious, they use it to even maintain their stations like buying kerosiene for their lanterns. That is why the collection of bribes by them cannot be stopped by just talking or by reporting to their dpo.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by olaezebala: 10:25am On Sep 18, 2011
Nigeria police are the most stupid and useless body of individual have ever seen in my life. Yesterday I was moving within the city of Ibadan when a senseless bus hit me from behind. My brake light got broken and the police met us at the scene and settled the matter then they left. Lo and behold, after 3 minutes of driving away from the scene, I met this same police officers asking what happened to my brake light. I was so suprised and wi tried explaining to them that they were the ones that came to the accident scene and settled the matter.they never listened and they asked one of their officers to lead me to their station where I was asked to bail my car. Senseless fools.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by dabrake(m): 11:36am On Sep 18, 2011
olaezebala:

Nigeria police are the most silly and useless body of individual have ever seen in my life. Yesterday I was moving within the city of Ibadan when a senseless bus hit me from behind. My brake light got broken and the police met us at the scene and settled the matter then they left. Lo and behold, after 3 minutes of driving away from the scene, I met this same police officers asking what happened to my brake light. I was so suprised and wi tried explaining to them that they were the ones that came to the accident scene and settled the matter.they never listened and they asked one of their officers to lead me to their station where I was asked to bail my car. Senseless fools.
lwkmd. Buh pathetic. Jst reminded mi of an episode wen ma friend was arrested. After we had bailed him frm d cell(of course, wyt some real cash), d guy decided 2 knw wad he did wrong. And 2 ma (dis)beleif, the ipo said "next time, learn to cross road well. Look left, right and left again before crossing. Don't cross the road if the road isn't clear afta you have done that". Since when did 9ja police began 2 'care' about us? never listened and they asked one of their officers to lead me to their station where I was asked to bail my car. Senseless fools.
[quote][/quote]
lwkmd. Buh pathetic. Jst reminded mi of an episode wen ma friend was arrested. After we had bailed him frm d cell(of course, wyt some real cash), d guy decided 2 knw wad he did wrong. And 2 ma (dis)beleif, the ipo said "next time, learn to cross road well. Look left, right and left again before crossing. Don't cross the road if the road isn't clear afta you have done that". Since when did 9ja police began 2 'care' about us?
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Ucheosefoh(m): 11:49am On Sep 18, 2011
Naija police with their wahala its non of my buz about what they do with bribe they collect after all dem be all thieves
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by beespak7(m): 12:37pm On Sep 18, 2011
Abeg make una lef matter for mathias. Police check point business na serious business you either make returns to oga or get deployed as a gate man or body guard to some politician
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by EvilBrain1(m): 12:41pm On Sep 18, 2011
The police don't "extort" money from people. Collecting another person's money at gunpoint is robbery, lets call a spade a spade.

The NPF is a total liability to this country. They commit far more crimes than they prevent. Hardly anybody goes to them for help anymore. If your shopkeeper steals your business's money, you can't go to them and expect justice. At best, if you bribe them, they'll torture him for a few days then release him after extorting his family. Nobody trusts the police anymore.

In 2009 alone they murdered more people in the guise of fighting Boko Haram than the combined number of people all the terrosist groups in Nigeria (MEND, BH, etc) have killed till date. And nobody is being punished despite all the youtube videos clearly showing their faces as they shot unarmed civilians. The policeman who murdered and framed the Apo 6 is out on "bail" now, a free man.

If the police were to magically cease to exist, petty crime may go up a little but Nigeria will still be far better of.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by oderemo(m): 12:47pm On Sep 18, 2011
there is no form of policing at all in nija, they are just organised bandits with uniform . nothing more /less. the question we ask all the tym is wot is the diff. btw police officer and armed robbers in nija.? both 2 and 3 pence. samu ni.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Fesisko(m): 12:53pm On Sep 18, 2011
I think this is a general assumption by members of the public.senior police like cp,Dpo do lecture the men posted to roadblock not to collect bribe.wether the dpo ask for return or not,I have seen some instances where those posted to roadblock stil bring return to Him inorder not to be replace by other officers because posting is rotational.bottom line,most Dpo don't colect returns.in that way,its easier for him to denny them whenever the men are arrested from estortion
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by JimmyBoy1: 12:55pm On Sep 18, 2011
Yes, the extortion starts from recruitment to deployments and then to promotions. Secondly, it goes from road blocks and station to the force headquarters.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Sep 18, 2011
Seun:

Interesting. Where do these articles come from?

got it from a link on chetas blog some months back

The monumental Human Rights Watch report about these guys makes for scary reading,

http://www.hrw.org/en/reports/2010/08/17/everyone-s-game

full pdf

http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/nigeria0810webwcover.pdf

scary reading
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by andyanders: 2:52pm On Sep 18, 2011
Your best friend to hate is Nigerian Policeman if you want to be alive. You rather make SNAKE your brother than a Nigerian Policeman. The beginning of wisdom for any Nigerian is to stay off from any policeman, even if he is your brother. Only few educated ones has concience. 95% are your enemies. period.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by kukulaja: 5:59pm On Sep 18, 2011
yes the money goes to the head as well, this was confirmed to me by one notorious police man name KOLA attached to MURTALA MOHAMED AIRPORT LAGOS, he resides at the quaters in hajji camp of MMA, this KOLA always make arrest of innocent travellers and their relations especially when he see that you dont know your right, he would demand between 300 and 500 american dollars from travellers and people that come to see their relations off,he'll tell them that they will not be allowed to travel unless they settle as the money is meant for all police security at airport including the airport commandant, which i confirmed,because whenever he take any ignorant traveller,especially first timer, to their hide out to extort money,their DPO will never condemn such act, rather he tell you to cooperate with him that it's how they're taking it from every traveller, POLICE PROVOST AND ANTI VICE SQUAD,PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THIS KOLA AT MMA. i have said the facts that i know and i stand to give evidence in person if invited. LONG LIVE NIGERIA.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by sirjec(m): 7:12pm On Sep 18, 2011
Is this a question> Everybody knows it even gets to IG otherwise it would have stopped. If IG says no to it today, it will stop>. but because he just have to stay in his office and receive money from everywhere especially Delta State without any effort, the crime will never stop.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by sirjec(m): 7:16pm On Sep 18, 2011
We need State Security with clearly defined area of coverage to stop all these madness.

FG can still have their security with different objectives. It is madness that SSS and Police are under FG. No form of security is under SG
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Roland17(m): 8:24pm On Sep 18, 2011
What kind of question is this, its a known fact.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by bedia01: 11:57pm On Sep 18, 2011
oyb:

excerpt from a human rights watch report

Corrupt System of Monetary “Returns”

Police officers ranging in rank from constable to assistant commissioner of police described to Human Rights Watch the existence of a scheme of “returns” throughout the police hierarchy, by which superiors demand their subordinates pay informal sums from the money
made from bribes and extortion at police posts. Sometimes these amounts influence the process of placement and transfers to posts by the assigning officer. In many cases, superior officers set monetary “targets” for their subordinates and remove from their posts those who
fail to meet them. The returns the move up the chain of command as officers who take returns from their subordinates in turn pay their superiors for the same reasons. Several police officers and civil society leaders working on policing issues in Nigeria identified the
system of returns as a key dynamic underlying, and indeed driving, the extortion and related abuses perpetrated by Nigerian police officers at all levels.Human Rights Watch interviewed nine police officers, including two in senior posts, as well
as a former senior police official who investigated cases of police corruption and an intelligence operative in the State Security Service, who either personally paid returns orconfirmed the existence of the system of returns in the Nigeria Police Force. They
characterized the problem as widespread, pervasive, and deeply embedded into the practices of the force. An assistant commissioner of police referred to this practice as“institutional corruption” that “drives the lower ranks to extort money from the public.”
Similarly, the former senior police official who had investigated cases of high-level police corruption characterized the problem as follows:
The corruption, the returns, this whole thing, it is so pervasive, so deep, it is what is running the force. It is what is keeping the entire police force going because every posting is determined by that. Every officer who is posted has to make money for him to remain in that post, or if you are not in a good posting, you must struggle to get a good posting.

The 2008 Presidential Committee on Police Reform found that “The taking of bribes and their passage up in the rank structure has almost become institutionalized” in the Nigeria Police Force. According to the former assistant commissioner of police, “The top hierarchy of the
force knows these things exist.” A police corporal with eight years of experience in the police force told Human Rights Watch, “They have this business of returns in all the stations I’ve worked in—Ogun, Oyo, and Lagos [states]—it’s the same system.”275 Another police
corporal with nine years of experience on the force in Kwara State and Lagos State said, “All the stations that I have worked at, I have had to pay returns.”276 Civil society leaders interviewed by Human Rights Watch agreed. The head of a civil society organization who
works closely with rank-and-file police officers noted that “The upper level officers have built a network of sharing proceeds derived from corruption among themselves. They all feed fat on it.”277

While Human Rights Watch was unable to ascertain how far bribes and money extorted by the rank-and-file advance up the chain of command, several police officers, including an assistant commissioner of police who investigated police corruption, believed it goes all the
way up: “The returns are from the lowest level to the highest. The smallest man gives to the DPO [divisional police officer], the DPO to the commissioner of police, and the commissioner of police to the inspector general.”278 Those in the junior ranks who paid returns to their
superiors generally also held the view that the returns went to the top.279 Police Recruitment: “All about the Money”
Corruption in the police force often starts during the process of recruitment. To be accepted as a trainee, candidates frequently must pay bribes to the recruitment officers. A policeconstable in Lagos, who joined the force six years ago, described to Human Rights Watch
how he had to bribe a recruiting officer: “After I submitted the application, a police officer said the superiors had already chosen their officers and that I would have to pay if I wanted in. I had to pay ₦20,000 ($159) to an inspector in Ikeja [in Lagos State].”280 Based on the
experience of many new recruits he has talked with, a police sergeant in Lagos explained, “As a civilian wanting to enter the force, the [recruiting] police officer will demand money to join up. New recruits have to pay to get in the force … from ₦50,000 to ₦100,000 ($417 to
$833).”281

I strongly concord with your post. where there is high rate of crime, it therefore means that the DPO, Area commander or the Commissioner ofr police is compromising with the criminals. In addition to your post, junior officers are intimidated if returns are not made. Junior officers are not transfered or posted based on their capabilities to work, but depends on who can pay returns more than the other. That is why any officer who may have upper hand can remove his fellow officer from the office being that he's the highest bidder. They are mandated to take care of their offices from any source they can afford. THERE are lucreative and non lucreative offices. Any mistakes you make by complaining that you can not afford what may be requested from above in the name of returns, you will face immediate transfer. Allocations are blocked, subordinates are not paid their allowances. Majority from Commisioners of police to IGP are the same only few are not corrupt. Alot of things are happening, that is why there should be replacement from the junior ranks . Instead of a commissioner of police or AIG to be made Inspector General of police, an assistant commissioner of police or even chief superintendent be made IGP to put fears into them to enable them do the right thing and fight crime and corruption within the force and the society at large.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by bedia01: 12:20am On Sep 19, 2011
Qualification should be put into consideration in appointing an Inspector General of police. An Educated individual thinks twice before he/she does something. You canz imagine the present INspector Gen. of police has only OND while you have other majority of senior and junior officers possessing higher qualifications. Some ma Humble themselves and learn or take corrections from their subordinates, but some are proud and make uncountable mistakes . The issue of police reform should cut acrose all phases of police organisation, both salaries, transfers, promotions, appointments etc, this will atleast eliminate corruption from the job. From the ranks of constable to chief superintendent to serve within their Zones while Assistant commisioners up should serve any part of the country as indicated in the police reforms for effective community policing and effective crime fighting.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by bedia01: 12:26am On Sep 19, 2011
Qualification should be put into consideration in appointing an Inspector General of police. An Educated individual thinks twice before he/she does something. You can imagine the present INspector Gen. of police has only OND while you have other majority of senior and junior officers possessing higher qualifications. Some ma Humble themselves and learn or take corrections from their subordinates, but some are proud and make uncountable mistakes . The issue of police reform should cut acrose all phases of police organisation, both salaries, transfers, promotions, appointments etc, this will atleast eliminate corruption from the job. From the ranks of constable to chief superintendent to serve within their Zones while Assistant commisioners up should serve any part of the country as indicated in the police reforms for effective community policing and effective crime fighting.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by bedia01: 12:32am On Sep 19, 2011
Qualification should be put into consideration in appointing an Inspector General of police. An Educated individual thinks twice before he/she does something. You can imagine the present INspector Gen. of police has only OND while you have other majority of senior and junior officers possessing higher qualifications. Some ma Humble themselves and learn or take corrections from their subordinates, but some are proud and make uncountable mistakes . The issue of police reform should cut acrose all phases of police organisation, both salaries, transfers, promotions, appointments etc, this will atleast eliminate corruption from the job. From the ranks of constable to chief superintendent to serve within their Zones while Assistant commisioners up should serve any part of the country as indicated in the police reforms for effective community policing and effective crime fighting.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by TenKobo1: 12:59pm On Sep 19, 2011
To talk about the Nigerian police is to fill yourself with bitterness because that is the only emotion they evoke.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by MMM2(m): 2:10pm On Sep 19, 2011
yes
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by EfeEkarume(m): 4:49pm On Sep 20, 2011
. . . . .like SMS(short message service) they send all CPB(checkpoint bribe) to their DPO's(divisional police officer's).
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by nateevs(m): 5:26pm On Sep 20, 2011
This thread needs to be 'stickied'. Mr Seun - your part in cleansing the nation of institutionalized corruption.
Re: Do Nigerian Policemen Send Checkpoint Bribes To Their Superiors? by Ibime(m): 9:11pm On Sep 20, 2011
Seun,

I can't believe you are still asking this kinda question in this day and age. This is common knowledge now. I've got 2 friends who are ex-military and they told me this story years ago.

(1) (Reply)

Updates Of Cross River Guber Election / Let's Appriase The Performance Of Rochas Okorocha / The Impending Betrayal Of Muhammadu Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.