Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,367 members, 7,819,317 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? (19748 Views)

What Do You Share In Common With Your Wife? / Do You Share The Same Toothbrush With Your Spouse? / Would You Share A Toothbrush With Your Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 9:27am On Sep 21, 2011
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Sep 21, 2011
I share everything with him but that and if a time comes when I am stuck and have to use his toothbrush, I will not hesitate. You guys are making it look like you are sharing a toothbrush with one random person on the street. I asked this question once, I don't know how some men find it okay to go down on their women with their mouths but then use the ''Ewwwwwwww'' line when it comes to sharing a toothbrush.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by pinkrex(m): 4:35pm On Sep 21, 2011
This also contributes to what reduces our life expectancy in this part of the world.

Love has really blinded millions undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by pslm23(f): 8:20pm On Sep 21, 2011
Personally, I can't "knowingly" share a toothbrush with my husband as much as i love him. toothbrush sharing is not a very hygienic practice.

My husband has always had a problem with his gums right from childhood and he is prone to infections. Ever since he got his wisdom teeth extracted, he now has problems with abcess. He brushes 2wice daily, flosses and uses mouth wash but we still battle with gum infections every few months. The doc says it's because of his diabetes.

Anyway, sharing a toothbrush with him under these circumstances is definitley out of the questions.

Try this test if you can afford it. Take your spouse's toothbrush to a lab and have the bristles looked at under a powerful scope. I bet  once u see what magnifies on the slide u'll think thrice about sharing a toothbrush!  grin
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by maclatunji: 12:05pm On Sep 22, 2011
pinkrex:

This also contributes to what reduces our life expectancy in this part of the world.

Love has really blinded millions undecided undecided undecided undecided
U see am

pslm23:

Personally, I can't "knowingly" share a toothbrush with my husband as much as i love him. toothbrush sharing is not a very hygienic practice.

My husband has always had a problem with his gums right from childhood and he is prone to infections. Ever since he got his wisdom teeth extracted, he now has problems with abcess. He brushes 2wice daily, flosses and uses mouth wash but we still battle with gum infections every few months. The doc says it's because of his diabetes.

Anyway, sharing a toothbrush with him under these circumstances is definitley out of the questions.

Try this test if you can afford it. Take your spouse's toothbrush to a lab and have the bristles looked at under a powerful scope. I bet  once u see what magnifies on the slide u'll think thrice about sharing a toothbrush!  grin

I tire for them O.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by pslm23(f): 1:27am On Sep 23, 2011
maclatunji:

U see am

I tire for them O.

grin grin
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Busybody2(f): 3:02am On Sep 24, 2011
Siena:

^^^ Yes, sharing a toothbrush won't kill you. And it's one thing to inadvertently use a toothbrush that's been exposed to all sorts of bacteria. Quite another to knowingly use a toothbrush that's been used by your spouse, gums often bleed during brushing. Are you honestly telling me it's smart to rub old, dried blood across your own gums, probably cut your gums in the process and mix blood that way?

Just because a dirty practice won't kill you, doesn't mean you'll engage in it. Man may be built to withstand bugs, but only a foolish man will decide to test his immunityon a daily basis, by sharing a toothbrush, and by so doing share blood through bleeding gums or mouth ulcers.

Eurghhhhh at the old dried blood, yuck.

Exactly, everyone carries killer bacterias and allsorts at the back of the nose and throat which remain harmless until disturbed, and all it needs to do is get into the blood and one becomes susceptible to sepsis, septicemia which can travel to the brain causing meningitis, one can even get heart attack sef from gum disease, so who wan die painful death due to ignorance undecided

Three days after i introduced my baby to toothbrushing, he developed bacterial tonsilitis shocked And it was just by a stroke of luck that i discovered this, when his Doctor couldn't explain his raging temperature, decided to take a cursory look at his throat sad
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 3:49am On Sep 24, 2011
BB. THE LOVE OF MY LIFE. Where have you been? S/h/a/g/g/ing that sexy hunk of a husband of yours. grin
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Busybody2(f): 4:31am On Sep 24, 2011
jennykadry:

BB. THE LOVE OF MY LIFE. Where have you been? S/h/a/g/g/ing that sexy hunk of a husband of yours. grin

I can explain, it was during that London riot, all i know was that BusyBody20 passed me a 1kg bag of rice to hold whilst tying her shoelace, and the next thing i heard was this husky baritone voice caressingly telling me to get on the floor for stealing the bag of rice, i wanted to vex and rake for them, but the tight bulging rippling muscles and biceps straining to come out of taut shirt made me lose my train of though and i mistakenly blurted out "i am guilty, arrest me sir please officer. . . tongue

Honestly Jenny if it were you ehn, anyway BRB cheesy
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by ifyalways(f): 7:58am On Sep 24, 2011
pslm23:

Personally, I can't "knowingly" share a toothbrush with my husband as much as i love him.

Do you guys kiss,eat from same plate,drink from same cup?

Argh,Y'all should have asked for your spouses dentist report before saying "i do"

stranger than strange.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 24, 2011
^^^ Ify, there's nothing strange here. Kissing is very different from sharing a brush, which sole purpose is to clean the teeth, and dislodge particles of plaque and tartar from below the gumline. Sure, saliva is shared during kissing, but it's not the same. Hence if anyone spat on you, including your spouse, it's seen as an insult, a disgusting habit too.

Knowingly sharing a toothbrush smacks of gross ignorance. Everyone carries different germs beneath their gums. When people kiss, their tongues will never get beneath their partner's gumline, unless the gap between the teeth and gums is abnormally large, due to gum disease.

In the same vein, a couple with HIV are advised to use protection. The fact they are both HIV carriers doesn't mean the condoms go into the trash. There are different strains of every disease, which could make raw s[i]e[/i]x dangerous for such a couple.

I'm only bringing in this analogy, because the general consensus here seems to be that it's okay to share a toothbrush, plaque, tartar and all other germs that a toothbrush dislodges between the teeth, that kissing would not entail. An example is my sister Pslm23, who's husband has gum infections. And Ify seems to think it's a great idea to use the same toothbrush, regardless of the fact it's been used on gums that bleed? We love our spouses, but common sense should prevail, regardless. Saying "I do", doesn't mean we lose our rational sense of reasoning, there are lots of other ways to show love to our spouses, sharing a toothbrush isn't one of them.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by EfeEkarume(m): 1:16pm On Sep 24, 2011
Siena:

Saying "I do", doesn't mean we lose our rational sense of reasoning,
WORD!
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by pslm23(f): 2:48pm On Sep 24, 2011
ifyalways:

Do you guys kiss,eat from same plate,drink from same cup?

Argh,Y'all should have asked for your spouses dentist report before saying "i do"

stranger than strange.

Ify u sef and ur 3rd degree questions!   grin grin

Of course i kiss my husband but I don't go chewing on his gums, we eat from the same plate but it's not as if he grinds his gums on the plate or spits on the plate. The same goes with cups and spoons. These items are washed so i have no fear of catching anything from plates, cups or spoons.

We always know when he has a gum flare up and when that happens, there'll be no kissing until he has finished his antibiotic. Diabetes can wreck havoc on any part of the body. His gum was the unfortunate target.

Like I said, gum disease or not, it is very unhygenic to use another person's toothbrush. Like my mom would say, "i don't know where your mouth has been"  grin grin
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by obowunmi(m): 6:46pm On Sep 24, 2011
Maybe if I was stuck on an island and there were no other options. Otherwise, erm --- I'm not for toothbrush sharing.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 25, 2011
obowunmi:

Maybe if I was stuck on an island and there were no other options. Otherwise, erm --- I'm not for toothbrush sharing.

If I was stuck on an island, dental hygiene would be the least of my worries. I'll be more concerned with getting back to the mainland.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by maclatunji: 8:59am On Sep 25, 2011
Is Your Toothbrush Contaminated?

Have you ever wondered what happens to the nasty "bugs" that you brush off of your teeth? The truth may surprise you. Many of the bacteria, fungi, and viruses actually remain on your toothbrush! So the next time you use a contaminated toothbrush, remember that the infectious microorganisms remaining on the brush can reinfect your mouth and teeth again! Some of the microorganisms can even spread to the rest of your body.

SOME OF THE MICROORGANISMS REMAINING ON TOOTHBRUSHES:

1. Mutans streptococcus - the main bacterium causing dental caries.
2. Beta-hemolytic streptococcus - the main bacterium causing strep throat (pharyngotonsillitis).
3. Candida albicans - the main fungus causing thrush in babies.
4. Coliform bacteria - these are found in the bathroom.
5. Herpes simplex virus - they causes cold sores.

WHO IS AT RISK?
Children or adults with an oral infection, such as dental caries.
Family members related to a child or adult with an oral infection.
Immunologically compromised children or adults.
Children or adults who are undergoing chemotherapy, bone marrow transplant, or organ transplant procedures.

HOW TO PREVENT TOOTHBRUSH CONTAMINATION:
1. The American Dental Association recommends changing toothbrushes every three months.
2. Sick children or adults should replace their toothbrushes as soon as possible - to prevent reinfection, or infection of another person.
3. Children or adults who are immunocompromised, or undergoing chemotherapy should change their toothbrushes every three days.
4. Always store toothbrushes in an aerated and ventilated environment - never sealed-up in a closed container.
5. Label and clearly identify each child's toothbrush, so that sharing of toothbrushes is avoided. Do not let children share toothbrushes!
6. Disinfect all toothbrushes daily.

METHODS OF DISINFECTING TOOTHBRUSHES:
1. Disinfect contaminated toothbrushes overnight in a solution of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite). Then rinse in clean water, and allow to air dry. Keep the bleach in a plastic container - not a metal container.
2. Keep all bleach products well out of reach of children! In case of accidental ingestion of bleach, do not induce vomiting, but give plenty of water.
3. You can also disinfect toothbrushes by cleaning them in a dishwasher every night - along with eating utensils. Allow them to air dry afterwards.

A recent article published in Pediatric Dentistry discussed toothbrush contamination in a day care setting. The article concluded that toothbrushes can be adequately disinfected by soaking them either in a 0.12% chlorhexidine gluconate solution (Peridex) for 20 hours, or in a 1 % sodium hypochlorite solution (1 part bleach, 4 parts water) for 20 hours.

Filho PN, Macari S, Faria G, Assed S, Ito IY: Microbial contamination of toothbrushes and their decontamination. Pediatric Dentistry. 2000 22(5) 381-384.

http://dentalresource.org/topics25.htm

And that folks is my community health contribution for the day.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by pslm23(f): 1:10pm On Sep 25, 2011
Siena:

If I was stuck on an island, dental hygiene would be the least of my worries. I'll be more concerned with getting back to the mainland.

, and if i really needed to brush my teeth, there are plenty of twigs and sticks that i can use as chewing stick grin grin
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Sep 25, 2011
pslm23:

, and if i really needed to brush my teeth, there are plenty of twigs and sticks that i can use as chewing stick grin grin

You said it, sister! cool
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by obowunmi(m): 1:47pm On Sep 25, 2011
Assuming the twigs and sticks aren't poisionous.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Ximustina(f): 5:03pm On Sep 25, 2011
my husband uses my toothbrush and am not comfortable with it , when i complain it causes serious problem 4 us. most days i just stay until he goes out before i brush with my personnel hidden toothbrush. i feel bad most times because i find it difficult to share my cup with someone and now toothbrush with him. thanks 4 this articu l . i need suggestions on how to deal with this
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by maclatunji: 6:46pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^^I posted some information here on diseases that can be spread by sharing toothbrushes but the spam bot is holding-on to it at the moment. Wait till it releases it and you can show it to your husband to see that it is not an hygienic thing to do.

Communicate to your husband, if he truly cares enough he will not inconvenience you by using your tooth brush.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 25, 2011
^^^ Comrade Mac, I'll try posting your findings in smaller blocks.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by r231(m): 7:21pm On Sep 25, 2011
yea rite. . . . . .

i use whateva brush i want to use simple

we all gonna die one day regardless
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 25, 2011
For those advocates of sharing toothbrushes, please note some of the consequences, as originally posted by Maclatunji:

Is Your Toothbrush Contaminated?

Have you ever wondered what happens to the nasty "bugs" that you brush off of your teeth? The truth may surprise you. Many of the bacteria, fungi, and viruses actually remain on your toothbrush! So the next time you use a contaminated toothbrush, remember that the infectious microorganisms remaining on the brush can reinfect your mouth and teeth again! Some of the microorganisms can even spread to the rest of your body.

SOME OF THE MICROORGANISMS REMAINING ON TOOTHBRUSHES:

1. Mutans streptococcus - the main bacterium causing dental caries.
   2. Beta-hemolytic streptococcus - the main bacterium causing strep throat (pharyngotonsillitis).
   3. Candida albicans - the main fungus causing thrush in babies.
   4. Coliform bacteria - these are found in the bathroom.
   5. Herpes simplex virus - they causes cold sores.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Sep 26, 2011
Going through what Maclatunji's posted is an eye-opener. There are too many reasons not to share a toothbrush, an no reasons at all to share.

It's all too easy to be dismissive, but would you honestly want to play Russian Roulette with your health?
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Sep 26, 2011
//
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by NEGZY(f): 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2011
[color=#006600][/color] yes oh,i use my bobo's toothbrush weneva i visit wtout mine,nd i can spend d rest of my life using it. If i can't share his personal items and vice versa,can i say i truly luv him?
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 8:37pm On Sep 26, 2011
NEGZY:

[/color] yes oh,i use my bobo's toothbrush weneva i visit wtout mine,nd i can spend d rest of my life using it. If i can't share his personal items and vice versa,can i say i truly luv him?
[color=#000099]
Sis, if the only way to profess you love to your spouse is by sharing a toothbrush, then there's something seriously wrong.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by tpia5: 3:07am On Sep 27, 2011
How much is a toothbrush?

Ten naira?

Is it poverty or stinginess that would make someone feel they need to share something as ordinary as a toothbrush when its not like there's a scarcity of toothbrushes.

Can someone help me out here or is this how people show love these days.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by lagcity(m): 3:14am On Sep 27, 2011
No Phocking Way! I have very strong gag reflex! In fact, just thinking about it is enough to make me throw up.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by tpia5: 3:47am On Sep 27, 2011
why not share pako as well as instead of toothbrush @ topic.

sebi na love.
Re: Can You Share Your Toothbrush With Your Spouse? by Nobody: 3:54am On Sep 27, 2011
tpia@:

why not share pako as well as instead of toothbrush @ topic.

sebi na love.
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Is There An Obsession With Male Children? / Quality Nigerian Husbands Will Be Scarce By 2023 - Women Group / How Do You Tell Siblings To Give You Space Without Hurting Them Feelings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.